Australian scientists recently studied testosterone and its progression in males from young to old age and discovered that a gradual decline in testosterone levels is caused by both men's lifestyles as well as aging.
Video Download: Behavioral And Health Changes Decrease Levels Of Testosterone
Video Stream: Behavioral And Health Changes Decrease Levels Of Testosterone
The findings were presented at the Endocrine Society's 94th annual meeting that took place recently in Houston.
The Endocrine Society focuses on the research of hormones and the practice of endocrinology.
Many older men are known to have diminished levels of the sex hormone testosterone.
Even though the cause is debated, some population-based studies have found that changes in testosterone levels are similar among men of the same age over time.
It is common knowledge that declining testosterone levels are an inevitable part of the aging process.
However, there may be more to this condition than mere aging.
Study co-author Dr. Gary Wittert, professor of medicine at the University of Adelaide in Australia, stated that the choices men make also plays a more significant role in lowered testosterone levels than previously thought.
Testosterone changes are also explained by smoking behavior and changes in health status, particularly obesity and depression.
The study was supported by the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia.
The researchers measured testosterone levels in over 1,500 men during two clinical visits over five years.
The blood testosterone samples were tested at the same time for each visit.
In analyzing the data, the investigators made the study more accurate and empirical by excluding men who had abnormal lab values, who were taking medications, or who were noted to have medical conditions that affected hormones.
In total, 1,382 men were included in the study, with an average age of 54 and an age range of 35 to 80 years.
Overall, testosterone levels did not drop significantly over the five years.
The testosterone levels were found to decrease by less than one percent each year.
When the scientists examined the data regarding subgroups, they discovered that specific factors were related to lower testosterone levels five years later than at the beginning of the study.
The Debilitating Effects of Poor Lifestyle Choices
Men who experienced drops in testosterone levels were more likely to be those who became obese, excessively consumed alcohol, had stopped smoking or were depressed at either clinic visit, noted Dr. Wittert in the statement.
While stopping smoking may be a cause of a slight decrease in testosterone, there are a plethora of additional benefits to quitting the nicotine addiction.
Smoking cessation is thought to be a temporary drop...once you are nicotine-free, your body will adapt and reset to its normal testosterone levels.
Also, depression, obesity, and low testosterone have been linked in past research.
Always remember that while aging does indeed affect men's testosterone levels, there are actions you can take to slow down dramatically and even stop this insidious progression.
And the good news? These actions are entirely in your control!
Give our clinic a call for a free, no-obligation consultation.
Contact Us Now
- The History, Myths and Misconceptions of Testosterone - May 13th, 2020
- Is Testosterone Good or Bad for Your Heart? Or is Estradiol the Real Culprit? - May 7th, 2020
- Ensuring The Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men - September 4th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Might Be Legal, but It's Still Cheating in Professional Sports - August 17th, 2019
- The Dangerous Hyperbole Surrounding Testosterone Replacement Therapy - July 16th, 2019
- Can men have hot flashes? - July 6th, 2019
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 1st, 2018
- Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy | The Medical ... - June 29th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Resources - Fabulously ... - June 15th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - cpt.sagepub.com - May 14th, 2016
- Prostate cancer: Testosterone therapy 'does not increase aggressive ... - May 11th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Low Testosterone | Low T - April 28th, 2016
- Low Testosterone, Low T, E.D. | Andrologix.com - April 21st, 2016
- Low Testosterone Treatments - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - April 21st, 2016
- Testosterone Therapy Side Effects - DrugWatch - April 10th, 2016
- Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - April 10th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Myths and Facts - April 5th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Bottar Leone, PLLC - February 8th, 2016
- Heart Attack Risk from Testosterone Replacement Therapy - February 8th, 2016
- Book - What You Need to Know About Low Testosterone - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Torrance, CA - November 2nd, 2015
- Male Hormone Replacement | Low Testosterone Treatment - August 19th, 2015
- Hormone & Testosterone Replacement Therapy - August 15th, 2015
- testosterone replacement therapy cost , low testosterone therapy , buy testosterone online - Video - May 5th, 2015
- natural testosterone supplement , natural testosterone , natural testosterone replacement therapy - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Greater Than 40 Fitness Testosterone Replacement Therapy Update - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Testosterone therapy: Potential benefits and risks as you ... - April 13th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Risk Myths - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Does Testosterone Replacement Therapy Increase the Risk of Prostate Cancer? - Video - April 11th, 2015
- ALC - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 11th, 2015
- TRT - 6 Week Update / Beware Arimidex! (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - April 9th, 2015
- TRT - 1 Month Bloodwork Results / Protocol Adjustment (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Final - Video - March 21st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Dr. G - Video - March 19th, 2015
- Living Well: Testosterone therapy good idea or not? - March 14th, 2015
- New studies fail to find cardiovascular risk with testosterone therapy - March 10th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men | AAG Health Gains - March 9th, 2015
- AM I HIDING SOMETHING? Where's My Blood work? | TRT Update - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Andropause and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Treat Low T Symptoms w/ Testosterone Replacement Therapy - February 23rd, 2015
- The LIFE*MOD Podcast With Dr. Gonzalez - Testosterone Replacement Therapy Part 1 - Video - February 12th, 2015
- Is testosterone replacement therapy safe? Take a look at ... - February 7th, 2015
- Introduction to Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Video - February 1st, 2015
- what is testosterone replacement therapy | Find what is testosterone replacement therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- From Wellness and Prevention to Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testicular cancer - Testosterone replacement therapy - yourprivates.org.uk - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy testimonial - Dr. Retzler Portland Oregon - Video - December 25th, 2014
- Dr. Allens Device Boost Mens Wellbeing by Treating Enlarged Prostate & Chronic Prostatitis, While Testosterone ... - December 10th, 2014
- Carey Danis & Lowe Weighs in on Testosterone Gel Safety - November 26th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Danger & Play - November 7th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Women | eHow - November 4th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy For Young Men - Thumotic - October 30th, 2014
- Lipocine Announces Positive Top-line Results From Phase 2a Study Of LPCN 1111 - October 13th, 2014
- Cleveland Clinic: Testosterone Replacement Therapy - October 1st, 2014
- Strict Limitations May Be Coming for Low Testosterone Treatment - October 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Update - New Test Results - Video - September 28th, 2014
- It's Time To Cross The T's... - September 19th, 2014
- Endocrine Society Tells FDA Testosterone Therapy Should Only Be for Men with Hypogonadism - September 18th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | AAG HealthGAINS - Video - September 12th, 2014
- Warning over risks associated with testosterone replacement therapy - August 15th, 2014
- Is testosterone replacement therapy right for you? | Fox News - August 7th, 2014
- Do you need low T therapy? - August 7th, 2014
- Testosterone replacement therapy |Mens Medical New York PC ... - July 9th, 2014
- Low sex drive - or erectile dysfunction? - June 25th, 2014
- 1513 Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men - Video - June 13th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Could Come With Serious Side Effects - Video - May 11th, 2014
- Are Low-T Drugs Putting Patients At High Risk? - May 10th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Experts Urge Caution When Using Popular Hormone Replacement Therapy - May 10th, 2014
- Viewer Mail - Testosterone Replacement Therapy/TRT Not Natty, Balls Busted, etc. - Video - May 4th, 2014
- NJ-Based Law Firm Exploring Potential Legal Claims from Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Men - myVMC - April 30th, 2014
- Acrux falls 15% on sales warning - April 28th, 2014
- Low Testosterone Claims: Options in a Growing Class Action Suit - Video - April 26th, 2014
- Reclaim Your Energy and Sex Drive | Testosterone ... - April 14th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 12th, 2014
- FGSW - Weekly Weigh In & Update 15: Still Working On Mobility 03.31.14 - Video - April 7th, 2014
- FGSW Weekly Weigh In & Update 15 Still Working On Mobility 03 31 14 - Video - April 5th, 2014
- Discover the risk of prostate cancer with testosterone replacement therapy - Video - April 5th, 2014
- FGSW - Testosterone Replacement Therapy Update 03.27.14: An Improvement?? - Video - April 2nd, 2014
- Drug Recall Attorney at Herrera Law Firm, Inc., Comments on Reported Link Between Testosterone Drugs and Heart Attack ... - April 2nd, 2014
Word Count: 505