Video Download: Ensuring The Safety Of Testosterone Replacement Therapy For Men
Video Stream: Ensuring The Safety Of Testosterone Replacement Therapy For Men
Late last year, an article was published by the Journal of the American Medical Association that suggested Testosterone Restoration was associated with an increased risk of stroke, heart attack, and general mortality in males suffering from Low-T.
Mainly as a result of this study, the FDA now requires that all Testosterone Therapy Manufacturers clearly note these potential risks associated with therapy on every dose of Testosterone Treatment.
There's no reason to have issues with the FDA in this case because that's a reasonable step to take, but the study which precipitated this change in Testosterone labeling was highly flawed, and an example of media entities taking surveys in a vacuum and treating them as the definitive word on a particular treatment. We might want to be skeptical or "trust but verify" by looking at other studies, because according to some studies, 1/3rd of men who suffer from heart attacks have low testosterone levels.
JAMA Testosterone Study Flawed
In reality, this Testosterone Study is highly flawed, at least when considered as a potential indictment against Low-T Treatment for men suffering from Testosterone Deficiency and Andropause. There's even the risk that this study could lead patients who could seriously benefit from this form of Hormone Therapy Treatment to avoid life-changing treatment because of the unwarranted fears suggested by this study.
In fact, many medical professionals say the validity of this study about Testosterone Therapy prescribed and administered with care and caution is effectively nil. Though we should still be cautious, and not dismiss the risks which are being claimed.
Over the past decade, there have been some studies providing strong evidence that Low-T Treatment with Bio-Identical Testosterone can both mitigate mortality risk while also safeguarding the heart from cardiovascular disease.
For example, research released by the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism in June of 2012 provided the contradictory evidence of the JAMA study—and found that Testosterone Replacement significantly reduced mortality risk among veterans with Low-T by almost 40%. Those are findings which are hard to ignore.
Testosterone Deficiency Leads to Increased Mortality Rates
It's also incredibly evident in the scientific literature that males with Clinical Testosterone Deficiency have significantly higher mortality rates than their peers. Another study from JCEM, published in 2007, involving nearly 800 men from 50-91 years of age, presented evidence that men with deficient Testosterone Levels are at a much higher general mortality risk.
These patients were followed for a total of eleven years, and it was found that the bottom 25% of patients ranked by Serum Testosterone Concentrations had a 40 percent increased risk of death than those with normal Testosterone Levels. Low-T was also strongly correlated with cardiovascular disease.
How Can Testosterone Therapy Also Contribute to Heart Risk?
Now the JAMA study, when compared to the results of this 2007 JCEM study, begs the question—How can both Low Testosterone and Testosterone Therapy both be linked to increased mortality and heart disease risk? There are some reasons for this.
For example, in the JAMA study, the researchers explain that only six in ten patients ever had their Testosterone levels monitored after they were initially prescribed the therapy. This is a significant issue because follow-up therapy is absolutely necessary both to assess the success of the treatment and to monitor for any potential side-effects. When undergoing testosterone therapy, one should get their testosterone levels measured via a blood test, every 3 months.
Insufficient Testosterone Dosage
It was also found that on average, the patients that received Testosterone Therapy did not receive enough of the treatment to provide optimal benefits associated with Low-T treatment.
Red Blood Cell Count Monitoring
Another major issue with this study is that two side-effects of Bio-Identical Testosterone Therapy were not adequately evaluated or mentioned—Red Blood Cell count and Estradiol levels.
This is also a significant problem because many physicians that prescribe Testosterone to their patients don't pay enough attention to these two factors, which actually play the most prominent role in the more dangerous cardiovascular side-effects associated with Low-T therapy. One of the easiest ways to lower one's red blood cell count is to get a blood test, the action of having one's blood drawn reduces the red blood cell count. Donating blood is also another option.
If these two factors are appropriately accounted for, the safety profile of Bio-Identical Testosterone increases dramatically.
Testosterone and Erythrocytosis
In many patients, Low-T replacement therapy leads to a condition known as Erythrocytosis, in which the bone marrow produces more Red Blood Cells than usual, potentially leading to issues such as hypertension and blood clotting which increase the risk of some severe cardiovascular maladies. This condition causes the blood to become too thick.
Dosage or Blood Testing/Donation
There are two simple ways to treat this condition and mitigate the risks associated with it—dropping the dosage or draining blood (which can be as simple as visiting the local Red Cross). Unfortunately, the patients analyzed in the JAMA research did not receive this care.
Testosterone and Estradiol
Furthermore, patients in the JAMA study were not adequately monitored for estradiol levels. As a part of the natural hormone cycle of the human body, some Testosterone is naturally turned into estradiol.
This is called aromatization. Elevated Estradiol levels are the mechanism by which the body tells the brain that Testosterone production is too high, which suppresses Testosterone Levels and brings Estrogen back into balance. Of course, when you take Testosterone Therapy, the signals sent to the brain by Estrogen have no impact on Testosterone Concentrations, which elevates Estrogen levels.
Elevated Estrogen levels have long been associated with adverse cardiovascular issues in men. In the JAMA Testosterone Study, patients were not evaluated for Estrogen levels at any point, so there is no way to separate cardiovascular risk resulting from Estrogen or Testosterone.
Resolving the issues associated with elevated Estrogen levels is as easy as providing the patient with a single daily pill. Arimidex (anastrozole) is an Estrogen blocker which suppresses the activity of Estrogen, including the negative effects associated with male cardiovascular profile.
The male body requires a specific level of Estrogen—not too high, and not too low. With the use of Estrogen Inhibitors and blood monitoring, it is possible to keep Estrogen Levels balanced, and it is possible to vastly improve the safety profile of Testosterone, which is not acknowledged in the JAMA literature.
High Testosterone and DHT
Another issue with Testosterone is when levels are too high, too much of the hormone gets converted into DHT, also known as Dihydrotestosterone. The levels of DHT in the bloodstream are directly correlated with the levels of Testosterone, so if a patient receives too much Testosterone and does not get adequately evaluated, he puts himself at risks associated with elevated DHT Levels, including male pattern baldness, prostate enlargement, and cardiovascular disease.
Testosterone Therapy Safe if You Follow The Guidelines
As you can see, there are risks associated with Testosterone Therapy when monitoring is not conducted properly, but most of these risks are related to byproducts of Testosterone that are the result of overdose or underdosing, which can be easily prevented or mitigated with regular monitoring and adjustments in the testosterone protocol.
By choosing a knowledgeable Hormone Therapy Provider, you can get the most out of treatment while also minimizing the risks associated with such therapy.
Don't let the risks outlined in this study prevent you from getting the care you need and deserve.
There is no reason to resign yourself with the slow physiological decline associated with Low-T. Talk to a licensed and board-certified clinical specialist to find out more. Contact us to get your testosterone levels checked. We can speak with you about your options concerning testosterone deficiency and testosterone replacement therapy (TRT).
Contact Us Now
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 10th, 2020
- The History, Myths and Misconceptions of Testosterone - May 13th, 2020
- Is Testosterone Good or Bad for Your Heart? Or is Estradiol the Real Culprit? - May 7th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Might Be Legal, but It's Still Cheating in Professional Sports - August 17th, 2019
- The Dangerous Hyperbole Surrounding Testosterone Replacement Therapy - July 16th, 2019
- Can men have hot flashes? - July 6th, 2019
- Behavioral and Health Changes Decrease Levels of Testosterone - April 21st, 2019
- Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy | The Medical ... - June 29th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Resources - Fabulously ... - June 15th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - cpt.sagepub.com - May 14th, 2016
- Prostate cancer: Testosterone therapy 'does not increase aggressive ... - May 11th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Low Testosterone | Low T - April 28th, 2016
- Low Testosterone, Low T, E.D. | Andrologix.com - April 21st, 2016
- Low Testosterone Treatments - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - April 21st, 2016
- Testosterone Therapy Side Effects - DrugWatch - April 10th, 2016
- Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - April 10th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Myths and Facts - April 5th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Bottar Leone, PLLC - February 8th, 2016
- Heart Attack Risk from Testosterone Replacement Therapy - February 8th, 2016
- Book - What You Need to Know About Low Testosterone - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Torrance, CA - November 2nd, 2015
- Male Hormone Replacement | Low Testosterone Treatment - August 19th, 2015
- Hormone & Testosterone Replacement Therapy - August 15th, 2015
- testosterone replacement therapy cost , low testosterone therapy , buy testosterone online - Video - May 5th, 2015
- natural testosterone supplement , natural testosterone , natural testosterone replacement therapy - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Greater Than 40 Fitness Testosterone Replacement Therapy Update - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Testosterone therapy: Potential benefits and risks as you ... - April 13th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Risk Myths - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Does Testosterone Replacement Therapy Increase the Risk of Prostate Cancer? - Video - April 11th, 2015
- ALC - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 11th, 2015
- TRT - 6 Week Update / Beware Arimidex! (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - April 9th, 2015
- TRT - 1 Month Bloodwork Results / Protocol Adjustment (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Final - Video - March 21st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Dr. G - Video - March 19th, 2015
- Living Well: Testosterone therapy good idea or not? - March 14th, 2015
- New studies fail to find cardiovascular risk with testosterone therapy - March 10th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men | AAG Health Gains - March 9th, 2015
- AM I HIDING SOMETHING? Where's My Blood work? | TRT Update - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Andropause and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Treat Low T Symptoms w/ Testosterone Replacement Therapy - February 23rd, 2015
- The LIFE*MOD Podcast With Dr. Gonzalez - Testosterone Replacement Therapy Part 1 - Video - February 12th, 2015
- Is testosterone replacement therapy safe? Take a look at ... - February 7th, 2015
- Introduction to Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Video - February 1st, 2015
- what is testosterone replacement therapy | Find what is testosterone replacement therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- From Wellness and Prevention to Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testicular cancer - Testosterone replacement therapy - yourprivates.org.uk - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy testimonial - Dr. Retzler Portland Oregon - Video - December 25th, 2014
- Dr. Allens Device Boost Mens Wellbeing by Treating Enlarged Prostate & Chronic Prostatitis, While Testosterone ... - December 10th, 2014
- Carey Danis & Lowe Weighs in on Testosterone Gel Safety - November 26th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Danger & Play - November 7th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Women | eHow - November 4th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy For Young Men - Thumotic - October 30th, 2014
- Lipocine Announces Positive Top-line Results From Phase 2a Study Of LPCN 1111 - October 13th, 2014
- Cleveland Clinic: Testosterone Replacement Therapy - October 1st, 2014
- Strict Limitations May Be Coming for Low Testosterone Treatment - October 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Update - New Test Results - Video - September 28th, 2014
- It's Time To Cross The T's... - September 19th, 2014
- Endocrine Society Tells FDA Testosterone Therapy Should Only Be for Men with Hypogonadism - September 18th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | AAG HealthGAINS - Video - September 12th, 2014
- Warning over risks associated with testosterone replacement therapy - August 15th, 2014
- Is testosterone replacement therapy right for you? | Fox News - August 7th, 2014
- Do you need low T therapy? - August 7th, 2014
- Testosterone replacement therapy |Mens Medical New York PC ... - July 9th, 2014
- Low sex drive - or erectile dysfunction? - June 25th, 2014
- 1513 Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men - Video - June 13th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Could Come With Serious Side Effects - Video - May 11th, 2014
- Are Low-T Drugs Putting Patients At High Risk? - May 10th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Experts Urge Caution When Using Popular Hormone Replacement Therapy - May 10th, 2014
- Viewer Mail - Testosterone Replacement Therapy/TRT Not Natty, Balls Busted, etc. - Video - May 4th, 2014
- NJ-Based Law Firm Exploring Potential Legal Claims from Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Men - myVMC - April 30th, 2014
- Acrux falls 15% on sales warning - April 28th, 2014
- Low Testosterone Claims: Options in a Growing Class Action Suit - Video - April 26th, 2014
- Reclaim Your Energy and Sex Drive | Testosterone ... - April 14th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 12th, 2014
- FGSW - Weekly Weigh In & Update 15: Still Working On Mobility 03.31.14 - Video - April 7th, 2014
- FGSW Weekly Weigh In & Update 15 Still Working On Mobility 03 31 14 - Video - April 5th, 2014
- Discover the risk of prostate cancer with testosterone replacement therapy - Video - April 5th, 2014
- FGSW - Testosterone Replacement Therapy Update 03.27.14: An Improvement?? - Video - April 2nd, 2014
- Drug Recall Attorney at Herrera Law Firm, Inc., Comments on Reported Link Between Testosterone Drugs and Heart Attack ... - April 2nd, 2014
Word Count: 1308