MONTREAL Boys will be boys, as the adage goes, with their boisterous rough-and-tumble play so stereotypically male.
Is it the doings of a primary sex hormone called testosterone, long associated with social dominance, masculinity, and strength?
Many scientists have explored the role of hormones and conduct, whether in school playgrounds, sports, war, or bedrooms.
Now a Universite de Montreal study of five-month-old twins is among the first to tease out the contribution of genetic and environmental factors to circulating levels of this chemical.
The research with infant twins suggests that the environment plays a more significant role than genes when it comes to testosterone levels.
Studies in human and animal models over the past 50 years have confirmed an association between aggression, dominance, and testosterone in adolescence said lead author Richard Tremblay of UdeM's research unit on children's psychosocial maladjustment.
"The question is, when does that association start" asked Tremblay, whose team looked at newborn babies of both sexes.
Published in the online edition of Psychoneuroendocrinology, the study compared testosterone in saliva samples from a total of 314 infants identical twins with non-identical twins. Identical pairs share the same genes, while fraternal twins are like any siblings and share 50 percent of their genes.
"So if testosterone levels are genetically determined, then the identical twins would be more alike than the fraternal twins," Tremblay explained.
Researchers found that testosterone levels in infancy are not inherited genetically but instead are affected by environmental factors.
Men's Testosterone Levels Environment-Influenced, Study Shows
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Kevin Nash Defends The Rock’s PED Use after Joe Rogan’s Comments - December 15th, 2022
- Testosterone Recruits Immune Cells That Fight Cancer - November 22nd, 2022
- Think Testosterone is for Men Only? THINK AGAIN! - November 16th, 2022
- The Testosterone Controversy: To Take or not to Take? - November 8th, 2022
- Testosterone for TRT Could Someday Be Supplied from a Single Skin Cell - September 5th, 2022
- Guide to Boosting Your Testosterone Levels Naturally - August 16th, 2022
- Testosterone and Human Behavior: Hormone Promotes Prosocial Behaviors - August 15th, 2022
- Frustrating Factors That Suppress Testosterone Levels - July 10th, 2022
- Study Investigates the Effects of Democratic Outcomes on Testosterone Levels - March 30th, 2022
- Your Life on Testosterone: Overly Sure, Unwilling to Listen to Anyone - October 17th, 2021
- Too much testosterone makes for bad decisions, tests show - Testosterone Prescription - May 10th, 2021
- With testosterone, it's 'my way or the highway': UK study - Testosterone Prescription - May 9th, 2021
- Testosterone therapy — good idea or not? - Testosterone Prescription - May 5th, 2021
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women- Testosterone Prescription - May 3rd, 2021
- Men with higher testosterone tend to lie less, study suggests - April 30th, 2021
- Increase in testosterone drug use - Testosterone Prescription - April 29th, 2021
- The top ten testosterone booster supplements: A review - April 27th, 2021
- Testosterone replacement therapy improves symptoms of metabolic syndrome - Testosterone Prescription - April 24th, 2021
- Who Would Have Thought? The Moon’s Cycles Affect Men’s Hormones Too! - April 23rd, 2021
- Testosterone Therapy Could Lower Diabetes Risk for Men – The Science is Promising! - February 19th, 2021
- Acidosis: The Hidden Health Destroyer - January 20th, 2021
- Testosterone Linked to Heart Disease -- Testosterone Prescription - November 18th, 2020
- Testosterone Drives Ego, Reduces Cooperation — Testosterone Prescription - November 2nd, 2020
- Hypogonadism and Testosterone - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - June 14th, 2020
- Low-T: Men With Low Testosterone Found More Likely to Die From COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - June 12th, 2020
- A Disturbing Trend: Testosterone Levels Falling Even Lower in Adolescent Males - May 31st, 2020
- Testosterone, Viagra not a winning combination for erectile dysfunction - Testosterone Prescription - April 30th, 2020
- Testosterone Reduces Group Think, Cooperation, and Less Sheep-Like Mentality - April 25th, 2020
- Five Myths About Low Testosterone And Testosterone Therapy — Testosterone Prescription - April 8th, 2020
- A Great Way to Boost Your Testosterone? Get Married! - April 1st, 2020
- Co-Sleeping with Baby Drops Men’s Testosterone Levels - March 21st, 2020
- Low Testosterone Levels Cause Health Woes -- Testosterone Prescription - March 11th, 2020
- Question: What Makes Men Sexy to Women? Answer: Low Stress, High Testosterone, Strong Immunity - Testosterone Therapy - February 29th, 2020
Word Count: 247