Testosterone therapy, which is used my millions of men, can lead to serious heart-related side effects, including heart attacks.
Did you suffer heart problems or blood clots after taking testosterone?
For men suffering from low testosterone, known as Low T, hormone replacement therapy drugs can help regulate hormone levels in the body and provide relief from a number of symptoms like fatigue, low sex drive and weight gain. What most of these men might not know, however, is that drugs like AndroGel can come with health risks. One of the most serious is an increased risk of heart attack.
A number of studies link testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) to an increased risk of cardiovascular problems. These studies caught the attention of the FDA, which issued a safety alert stating that it will investigate these findings to determine whether new labeling on products is in order. Additionally, the agency reiterated its official position on these products, reminding consumers and doctors that they should be prescribed only in proven cases of low testosterone and only when patients have symptoms.
Some doctors, including Dr. Bradley Anawalt of the Hormone Health Network, warn patients about Low T clinics that administer drugs without properly testing patients.
They are sex hormone factories, Anawalt told PBS. What I mean by that is: They are out to promote all the potential virtues and great myths about how testosterone may solve all problems. And theyre really out to prescribe as much testosterone as they possibly can, and its not clear that all these practices are completely safe.
One testosterone study published in January 2014 found increased heart attack risk in men who used testosterone. The risk did not only apply to older men. But men young than 65 with pre-existing heart disease had a twofold increase in risk of nonfatal heart attack shortly after initiation of testosterone therapy, according to the study.
The studys author, epidemiologist William Finkle, told NPR the risk of heart attack should be added to the discussion between patients and physicians.
Finkles study involved the records of 55,000 men prescribed testosterone in the Unites States. It found that in the first 90 days of beginning hormone therapy, 1 in 167 men aged 65 or older could suffer a heart attack, while 1 in 100 men under 65 with pre-existing heart disease may have one.
Other earlier studies also revealed an increased risk of cardiovascular issues. A smaller 2010 study published in the New England Journal of Medicine revealed the risk of a cardiovascular-related adverse event remained significantly greater among men in the testosterone group than among men in the placebo group. Another study from the same year was canceled because of the potentially high cardiovascular risk to subjects.
We have a 2010 study that was canceled because of unexpected cardiovascular risk, Finkle told NPR. I think that was sufficient to justify a warning. Why withhold that from the patient?
Another study from November 2013 found an increase in the rate of heart attacks and other cardiovascular issues in veterans who took the hormone replacement drugs versus those who did not.
Have you experienced a heart attack or other serious side effects after taking Testosterone products?
The risk of cardiovascular problems has led consumer advocacy groups to call for a black-box warning on all testosterone drug packaging. Dr. Sidney Wolfe of Public Citizen said that the organization petitioned the FDA to require manufacturers to add warnings to the packages of several hormone replacement products already on the market.
[Previous studies] showed that there was a 50 percent increase in cardiovascular risk . . . 14 studies that werent funded by the drug industry [showed] over a doubling of risks, Wolfe told Drugwatch. The FDA is part of the public health service. It is doing the public no health service to make conclusions like that, and de facto encourages more of this massive use we would argue misuse for most people of testosterone products.
The issue of testosterone and side effects related to the heart made its way into the courts. Four days after the FDA issued its testosterone safety alert in early 2014, five men ranging in age from 50 to 63 filed lawsuits in a federal court in Chicago against Abbott Laboratories and its spin-off company, AbbVie Inc, makers of a testosterone replacement drug called AndroGel.
Their complaint detailed claims that three of the men had had heart attacks after using AndroGel, that one had had a stroke and that another had suffered a mini-stroke. The plaintiffs also allege that these companies deceived consumers, using aggressive and deceptive marketing practices that stressed the benefits of the drug and exaggerated the need for it while downplaying known, serious adverse health effects.
Last modified: December 9, 2015
Read the original here:
- Treat Low T Symptoms w/ Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 24th, 2021
- Testim 1% Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Auxilium To Promote Testosterone Gel Testim 1% With Glaxo For Hypogonadism - May 20th, 2021
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Can Improve Quality of Life for HIV-Infected Men - March 22nd, 2021
- The Dangerous Hyperbole Surrounding Testosterone Replacement Therapy - March 8th, 2021
- Can men have hot flashes? - March 7th, 2021
- Low Semen Count Success Stories; What Makes Seminal Fluid: How to Increase Semen Volume and Count - February 8th, 2021
- Aging Gracefully With Testosterone Injections - January 28th, 2021
- Behavioral and Health Changes Decrease Levels of Testosterone - January 5th, 2021
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Might Be Legal, but It's Still Cheating in Professional Sports - November 15th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement - Video - October 26th, 2020
- Ensuring The Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men - October 18th, 2020
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 10th, 2020
- The History, Myths and Misconceptions of Testosterone - May 13th, 2020
- Is Testosterone Good or Bad for Your Heart? Or is Estradiol the Real Culprit? - May 7th, 2020
- Book - What You Need to Know About Low Testosterone - February 8th, 2020
- Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy | The Medical ... - June 29th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Resources - Fabulously ... - June 15th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - cpt.sagepub.com - May 14th, 2016
- Prostate cancer: Testosterone therapy 'does not increase aggressive ... - May 11th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Low Testosterone | Low T - April 28th, 2016
- Low Testosterone, Low T, E.D. | Andrologix.com - April 21st, 2016
- Low Testosterone Treatments - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - April 21st, 2016
- Testosterone Therapy Side Effects - DrugWatch - April 10th, 2016
- Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - April 10th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Myths and Facts - April 5th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Bottar Leone, PLLC - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Torrance, CA - November 2nd, 2015
- Male Hormone Replacement | Low Testosterone Treatment - August 19th, 2015
- Hormone & Testosterone Replacement Therapy - August 15th, 2015
- testosterone replacement therapy cost , low testosterone therapy , buy testosterone online - Video - May 5th, 2015
- natural testosterone supplement , natural testosterone , natural testosterone replacement therapy - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Greater Than 40 Fitness Testosterone Replacement Therapy Update - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Testosterone therapy: Potential benefits and risks as you ... - April 13th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Risk Myths - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Does Testosterone Replacement Therapy Increase the Risk of Prostate Cancer? - Video - April 11th, 2015
- ALC - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 11th, 2015
- TRT - 6 Week Update / Beware Arimidex! (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - April 9th, 2015
- TRT - 1 Month Bloodwork Results / Protocol Adjustment (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Final - Video - March 21st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Dr. G - Video - March 19th, 2015
- Living Well: Testosterone therapy good idea or not? - March 14th, 2015
- New studies fail to find cardiovascular risk with testosterone therapy - March 10th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men | AAG Health Gains - March 9th, 2015
- AM I HIDING SOMETHING? Where's My Blood work? | TRT Update - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Andropause and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - March 5th, 2015
- The LIFE*MOD Podcast With Dr. Gonzalez - Testosterone Replacement Therapy Part 1 - Video - February 12th, 2015
- Is testosterone replacement therapy safe? Take a look at ... - February 7th, 2015
- Introduction to Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Video - February 1st, 2015
- what is testosterone replacement therapy | Find what is testosterone replacement therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- From Wellness and Prevention to Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testicular cancer - Testosterone replacement therapy - yourprivates.org.uk - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy testimonial - Dr. Retzler Portland Oregon - Video - December 25th, 2014
- Dr. Allens Device Boost Mens Wellbeing by Treating Enlarged Prostate & Chronic Prostatitis, While Testosterone ... - December 10th, 2014
- Carey Danis & Lowe Weighs in on Testosterone Gel Safety - November 26th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Danger & Play - November 7th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Women | eHow - November 4th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy For Young Men - Thumotic - October 30th, 2014
- Lipocine Announces Positive Top-line Results From Phase 2a Study Of LPCN 1111 - October 13th, 2014
- Cleveland Clinic: Testosterone Replacement Therapy - October 1st, 2014
- Strict Limitations May Be Coming for Low Testosterone Treatment - October 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Update - New Test Results - Video - September 28th, 2014
- It's Time To Cross The T's... - September 19th, 2014
- Endocrine Society Tells FDA Testosterone Therapy Should Only Be for Men with Hypogonadism - September 18th, 2014
- Warning over risks associated with testosterone replacement therapy - August 15th, 2014
- Is testosterone replacement therapy right for you? | Fox News - August 7th, 2014
- Do you need low T therapy? - August 7th, 2014
- Testosterone replacement therapy |Mens Medical New York PC ... - July 9th, 2014
- Low sex drive - or erectile dysfunction? - June 25th, 2014
- 1513 Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men - Video - June 13th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Could Come With Serious Side Effects - Video - May 11th, 2014
- Are Low-T Drugs Putting Patients At High Risk? - May 10th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Experts Urge Caution When Using Popular Hormone Replacement Therapy - May 10th, 2014
- Viewer Mail - Testosterone Replacement Therapy/TRT Not Natty, Balls Busted, etc. - Video - May 4th, 2014
- NJ-Based Law Firm Exploring Potential Legal Claims from Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Men - myVMC - April 30th, 2014
- Acrux falls 15% on sales warning - April 28th, 2014
- Low Testosterone Claims: Options in a Growing Class Action Suit - Video - April 26th, 2014
- Reclaim Your Energy and Sex Drive | Testosterone ... - April 14th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 12th, 2014
- FGSW - Weekly Weigh In & Update 15: Still Working On Mobility 03.31.14 - Video - April 7th, 2014
Word Count: 778