A sharp uptake of testosterone products by Australian men has been blamed on ‘disease mongering' by pharmaceutical companies.
Testosterone product use jumped 115 percent from about 29,000 products dispensed in 2005 to 62,000 in 2010 following the marketing of a new gel, according to Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme statistics.
Pharmaceutical companies marketing testosterone products in both Australia and Canada found ways to skirt advertising laws by warning that symptoms including low energy, low sex drive, and even falling asleep after dinner could be due to low testosterone levels, researchers said.
Advertisements by two companies that ran in Australia and Canada in the past four years encouraged men with the symptoms to see their doctor for a testosterone test and ask about new treatments.
Australian and Canadian researchers said low testosterone was an unlikely cause of these symptoms.
Testosterone treatment has not been shown to improve libido, and sexual function, depression and cognitive function, or quality of life in men with age-related testosterone loss,' Agnes Vitry from the University of South Australia and Barbara Mintzes from the University of British Columbia in Canada said.
The researchers said testosterone therapy could expose men to many unwanted adverse effects, including progression to subclinical prostate cancer.
A recent study of testosterone replacement in older men was stopped early because of increased rates of adverse cardiovascular events, the authors wrote in the Medical Journal of Australia on Monday.
The authors said the advertisements which ran in national newspapers were classic examples of ‘disease mongering.'
The researchers argued that unbranded product advertising or ‘pseudo-branding' should be discouraged through harsher penalties.
- Too much testosterone makes for bad decisions, tests show - Testosterone Prescription - May 10th, 2021
- With testosterone, it's 'my way or the highway': UK study - Testosterone Prescription - May 9th, 2021
- Testosterone therapy — good idea or not? - Testosterone Prescription - May 5th, 2021
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women- Testosterone Prescription - May 3rd, 2021
- Environment trumps genes in testosterone levels, study finds - Testosterone Prescription - May 2nd, 2021
- Men with higher testosterone tend to lie less, study suggests - April 30th, 2021
- The top ten testosterone booster supplements: A review - April 27th, 2021
- Testosterone replacement therapy improves symptoms of metabolic syndrome - Testosterone Prescription - April 24th, 2021
- Who Would Have Thought? The Moon’s Cycles Affect Men’s Hormones Too! - April 23rd, 2021
- Testosterone Therapy Could Lower Diabetes Risk for Men – The Science is Promising! - February 19th, 2021
- Acidosis: The Hidden Health Destroyer - January 20th, 2021
- Testosterone Linked to Heart Disease -- Testosterone Prescription - November 18th, 2020
- Testosterone Drives Ego, Reduces Cooperation — Testosterone Prescription - November 2nd, 2020
- Hypogonadism and Testosterone - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - June 14th, 2020
- Low-T: Men With Low Testosterone Found More Likely to Die From COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - June 12th, 2020
- A Disturbing Trend: Testosterone Levels Falling Even Lower in Adolescent Males - May 31st, 2020
- Testosterone, Viagra not a winning combination for erectile dysfunction - Testosterone Prescription - April 30th, 2020
- Testosterone Reduces Group Think, Cooperation, and Less Sheep-Like Mentality - April 25th, 2020
- Five Myths About Low Testosterone And Testosterone Therapy — Testosterone Prescription - April 8th, 2020
- A Great Way to Boost Your Testosterone? Get Married! - April 1st, 2020
- Co-Sleeping with Baby Drops Men’s Testosterone Levels - March 21st, 2020
- Low Testosterone Levels Cause Health Woes -- Testosterone Prescription - March 11th, 2020
- Question: What Makes Men Sexy to Women? Answer: Low Stress, High Testosterone, Strong Immunity - Testosterone Therapy - February 29th, 2020
- Your Life on Testosterone: Overly Sure, Unwilling to Listen to Anyone - June 13th, 2019
Word Count: 267