On screen, he plays a crimebusting officer, leading a crack team of elite men and women from the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority, in the TV series Point Of Entry.
But in reality, actor Bernard Tan has suffered for nearly three years from fatigue and a lack of motivation to go about his daily activities - including acting.
"Initially, I thought I was overworked and that I should sleep more. Even after getting enough rest, I still felt that way," the 49-year-old bachelor said yesterday.
But a pamphlet he came across in a clinic recently made him realize that he could be suffering from hypogonadism - or testosterone deficiency syndrome.
"I actually took the pamphlet because I wanted to get the same hairstyle as the male model featured on it," he quipped during a media briefing at the Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel yesterday.
In the end, he did not get the hairstyle as his hairstylist told him that his hair would have to be damaged to achieve the look.
But he did find out what was wrong when he went through a checklist on the pamphlet, which was on hypogonadism.
"I realized that I answered ‘yes' to seven of the ten questions on it," he explained.
He decided to seek treatment for the condition, which typically affects men aged 45 years and older. About one in four men in that age group here has some degree of testosterone deficiency, said, medical experts.
Professor Peter Lim, a senior consultant urologist at Gleneagles Hospital and president of the Society for Men's Health Singapore, explained: "People think testosterone is all about sex. But it isn't. It concerns (all) your bodily functions."
Low testosterone levels can cause problems such as high blood pressure, heart disease, and high cholesterol levels, he said.
A person's sex drive will also be affected.
He sees about five such cases a day and, of all the cases he sees a month, an average of two are initially misdiagnosed as depression cases.
"It is only when their psychiatrists realize that they are not responding properly to treatment that they refer these patients to me," he said.
The condition is diagnosed through a blood test and can be treated with oral pills, injections or with a gel that can be applied to the abdomen or shoulders. Prof Lim added that men should seek treatment to avoid affecting their personal and social lives.
Tan explained: "People don't talk about this because they associate it (testosterone) with sex.
"But it is good to come forward to get it resolved. Don't keep saying it won't happen to you."
Word Count: 1331
Contact Us Now
- Acidosis: The Hidden Health Destroyer - May 5th, 2019
- Dr Manny: Want to boost your testosterone? Try getting married - Testosterone Prescription - April 29th, 2019
- Co-sleeping with baby drops men’s testosterone levels - April 15th, 2019
- Testosterone reduces group think, cooperation, and less sheep-like mentality - April 1st, 2019
- Men with higher testosterone tend to lie less, study suggests - April 1st, 2019
- Increase in testosterone drug use - Testosterone Prescription - April 1st, 2019
- Five Myths About Low Testosterone And Testosterone Therapy - Testosterone Prescription - April 1st, 2019
- Environment trumps genes in testosterone levels, study finds - Testosterone Prescription - April 1st, 2019
- Hypogonadism Testosterone Archives - Testosterone Prescription - March 30th, 2019
- The top ten testosterone booster supplements: A review - March 28th, 2019
- Testosterone replacement therapy improves symptoms of metabolic syndrome - Testosterone Prescription - March 26th, 2019
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women- Testosterone Prescription - March 25th, 2019
- Testosterone therapy — good idea or not? - Testosterone Prescription - March 25th, 2019
- Testosterone, Viagra not a winning combination for erectile dysfunction - Testosterone Prescription - March 21st, 2019
- Too much testosterone makes for bad decisions, tests show - Testosterone Prescription - February 27th, 2019
- With testosterone, it's 'my way or the highway': UK study - Testosterone Prescription - February 27th, 2019
- The Secret to Guys’ Sex Appeal: Low Stress, High Testosterone, Strong Immunity - Testosterone Prescription - February 27th, 2019
- Your Life on Testosterone: Overly Sure, Unwilling to Listen to Anyone - February 27th, 2019
- Testosterone linked to heart disease - Testosterone Prescription - February 27th, 2019
- Testosterone drives ego, reduces cooperation - Testosterone Prescription - December 21st, 2018