On screen, he plays a crime-busting officer, leading a crack team of elite men and women from the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority, in the TV series Point Of Entry.
But in reality, actor Bernard Tan has suffered for nearly three years from fatigue and a lack of motivation to go about his daily activities -- including acting.
Video Link: https://vimeo.com/397092766
Video Download: Low Testosterone Levels Cause Health Woes Testosterone Prescription
Video Stream: Low Testosterone Levels Cause Health Woes Testosterone Prescription
"Initially, I thought I was overworked and that I should sleep more. Even after getting enough rest, I still felt that way," the 49-year-old bachelor said yesterday.
But a pamphlet he came across in a clinic recently made him realize that he could be suffering from hypogonadism -- or testosterone deficiency syndrome.
"I actually took the pamphlet because I wanted to get the same hairstyle as the male model featured on it," he quipped during a media briefing at the Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel yesterday.
In the end, he did not get the hairstyle as his hairstylist told him that his hair would have to be damaged to achieve the look.
But he did find out what was wrong when he went through a checklist on the pamphlet, which was on hypogonadism.
"I realized that I answered ‘yes' to seven of the ten questions on it," he explained.
He decided to seek treatment for the condition, which typically affects men aged 45 years and older. About one in four men in that age group has some degree of testosterone deficiency, said medical experts.
Professor Peter Lim, a senior consultant urologist at Gleneagles Hospital and president of the Society for Men's Health Singapore, explained: "People think testosterone is all about sex. But it isn't. It concerns (all) your bodily functions."
Low testosterone levels can cause problems such as high blood pressure, heart disease, and high cholesterol levels, he said.
A person's sex drive will also be affected.
He sees about five such cases a day and, of all the cases he sees a month, an average of two are initially misdiagnosed as depression cases.
"It is only when their psychiatrists realize that they are not responding properly to treatment that they refer these patients to me," he said.
The condition is diagnosed through a blood test and can be treated with oral pills, injections or with a gel that can be applied to the abdomen or shoulders. Prof Lim added that men should seek treatment to avoid affecting their personal and social lives.
Tan explained: "People don't talk about this because they associate it (testosterone) with sex.
"But it is good to come forward to get it resolved. Don't keep saying it won't happen to you."
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Kevin Nash Defends The Rock’s PED Use after Joe Rogan’s Comments - December 15th, 2022
- Testosterone Recruits Immune Cells That Fight Cancer - November 22nd, 2022
- Think Testosterone is for Men Only? THINK AGAIN! - November 16th, 2022
- The Testosterone Controversy: To Take or not to Take? - November 8th, 2022
- Testosterone for TRT Could Someday Be Supplied from a Single Skin Cell - September 5th, 2022
- Guide to Boosting Your Testosterone Levels Naturally - August 16th, 2022
- Testosterone and Human Behavior: Hormone Promotes Prosocial Behaviors - August 15th, 2022
- Frustrating Factors That Suppress Testosterone Levels - July 10th, 2022
- Study Investigates the Effects of Democratic Outcomes on Testosterone Levels - March 30th, 2022
- Your Life on Testosterone: Overly Sure, Unwilling to Listen to Anyone - October 17th, 2021
- Too much testosterone makes for bad decisions, tests show - Testosterone Prescription - May 10th, 2021
- With testosterone, it's 'my way or the highway': UK study - Testosterone Prescription - May 9th, 2021
- Testosterone therapy — good idea or not? - Testosterone Prescription - May 5th, 2021
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women- Testosterone Prescription - May 3rd, 2021
- Environment trumps genes in testosterone levels, study finds - Testosterone Prescription - May 2nd, 2021
- Men with higher testosterone tend to lie less, study suggests - April 30th, 2021
- Increase in testosterone drug use - Testosterone Prescription - April 29th, 2021
- The top ten testosterone booster supplements: A review - April 27th, 2021
- Testosterone replacement therapy improves symptoms of metabolic syndrome - Testosterone Prescription - April 24th, 2021
- Who Would Have Thought? The Moon’s Cycles Affect Men’s Hormones Too! - April 23rd, 2021
- Testosterone Therapy Could Lower Diabetes Risk for Men – The Science is Promising! - February 19th, 2021
- Acidosis: The Hidden Health Destroyer - January 20th, 2021
- Testosterone Linked to Heart Disease -- Testosterone Prescription - November 18th, 2020
- Testosterone Drives Ego, Reduces Cooperation — Testosterone Prescription - November 2nd, 2020
- Hypogonadism and Testosterone - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - June 14th, 2020
- Low-T: Men With Low Testosterone Found More Likely to Die From COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - June 12th, 2020
- A Disturbing Trend: Testosterone Levels Falling Even Lower in Adolescent Males - May 31st, 2020
- Testosterone, Viagra not a winning combination for erectile dysfunction - Testosterone Prescription - April 30th, 2020
- Testosterone Reduces Group Think, Cooperation, and Less Sheep-Like Mentality - April 25th, 2020
- Five Myths About Low Testosterone And Testosterone Therapy — Testosterone Prescription - April 8th, 2020
- A Great Way to Boost Your Testosterone? Get Married! - April 1st, 2020
- Co-Sleeping with Baby Drops Men’s Testosterone Levels - March 21st, 2020
- Question: What Makes Men Sexy to Women? Answer: Low Stress, High Testosterone, Strong Immunity - Testosterone Therapy - February 29th, 2020
Word Count: 1333