WASHINGTON (March 4, 2015) -- Two studies scheduled for presentation at the American College of Cardiology's 64th Annual Scientific Session in San Diego failed to find a connection between testosterone therapy in men and heart problems, contradicting research that prompted the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to investigate its safety. The new studies include a meta-analysis of data from 29 studies involving more than 120,000 men and an observational study from a Wisconsin health system.
"With an aging population and more and more men needing testosterone therapy, it is important to better understand its potential effect on cardiovascular health," said Pawan Patel, M.D., academic physician at Regions Hospital in St. Paul, Minnesota, and the lead investigator of the meta-analysis. "Our analysis ... gives hope that we can do more with testosterone therapy."
But this research also underscores the need for a long-term, prospective, randomized trial to truly understand whether testosterone therapy can be used without putting men at greater risk for cardiovascular events such as heart attacks, worsening of heart failure or sudden cardiac death.
The recent conflicting findings on testosterone therapy prompted Patel and his team to conduct a large systematic literature search for studies evaluating the relationship between testosterone replacement therapy and cardiovascular events among men. The meta-analysis included data from recent studies that found a link between testosterone therapy and adverse cardiovascular events.
Testosterone is a hormone that plays a key role in the development of male sexual characteristics. As a man ages, the amount of testosterone in his body gradually declines. An estimated 13 million men in the United States suffer from low testosterone, which occurs when the body fails to make enough hormones because of a problem with the testicles or pituitary gland. Testosterone therapy is widely used to help address the effects that low testosterone can have on cognition, muscle mass and strength, bone density, metabolic function and mood. Nearly one in 25 men over the age of 60 receives testosterone therapy.
In the second study, researchers at Aurora Health Care, a large community-based health care system in Wisconsin, analyzed demographic and health data from 7,245 men with low testosterone levels from 2011-2014. After obtaining data from the electronic record systems of 15 hospitals and 150 clinics, the researchers looked at the combined cardiovascular event rate of heart attack, stroke and death in men with low testosterone who received testosterone therapy and in those who did not. They found the event rate at three years was low in both the treated group at 5.5 percent and in the untreated group at 6.7 percent, suggesting a potential cardiovascular benefit of testosterone replacement therapy on initial analysis. However, after adjusting for baseline differences including age, prior heart attack or stroke, cholesterol levels, smoking status and length of follow-up, researchers found no difference in cardiovascular event rates between the two groups.
Arshad Jahangir, M.D., the study's senior author and director at the Center for Integrative Research on Cardiovascular Aging, Aurora Health Care, said there were important limitations and inconsistencies with recent studies that linked testosterone replacement therapy to cardiovascular risks, leaving the medical community and many men without clear answers.
"The reassurance we get from this analysis in the community setting is that testosterone replacement therapy in patients with low serum levels is not causing any harm, even if it is not providing much cardiovascular benefit [in this patient population]," Jahangir said. "In the absence of prospective data, I think studies like ours will help ease anxieties around this treatment and provide some information on which physicians can base their prescribing decisions."
He also emphasized that given these study results, it is important for physicians to continue to aggressively manage established cardiovascular disease risk factors in patients, as testosterone therapy may not have an impact. An analysis of the effects of testosterone therapy on metabolic parameters and bone fractures is ongoing.
These two studies come on the heels of a recent pooled analysis by researchers at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, which cast further doubt on the link between testosterone therapy and cardiovascular risk and suggested a positive association between higher testosterone levels and improvements in reduction of cardiovascular risk.
Read this article:
- Ensuring The Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men - September 4th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Might Be Legal, but It's Still Cheating in Professional Sports - August 17th, 2019
- The Dangerous Hyperbole Surrounding Testosterone Replacement Therapy - July 16th, 2019
- Can men have hot flashes? - July 6th, 2019
- Behavioral and Health Changes Decrease Levels of Testosterone - April 21st, 2019
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 1st, 2018
- Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy | The Medical ... - June 29th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Resources - Fabulously ... - June 15th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - cpt.sagepub.com - May 14th, 2016
- Prostate cancer: Testosterone therapy 'does not increase aggressive ... - May 11th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Low Testosterone | Low T - April 28th, 2016
- Low Testosterone, Low T, E.D. | Andrologix.com - April 21st, 2016
- Low Testosterone Treatments - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - April 21st, 2016
- Testosterone Therapy Side Effects - DrugWatch - April 10th, 2016
- Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - April 10th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Myths and Facts - April 5th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Bottar Leone, PLLC - February 8th, 2016
- Heart Attack Risk from Testosterone Replacement Therapy - February 8th, 2016
- Book - What You Need to Know About Low Testosterone - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Torrance, CA - November 2nd, 2015
- Male Hormone Replacement | Low Testosterone Treatment - August 19th, 2015
- Hormone & Testosterone Replacement Therapy - August 15th, 2015
- testosterone replacement therapy cost , low testosterone therapy , buy testosterone online - Video - May 5th, 2015
- natural testosterone supplement , natural testosterone , natural testosterone replacement therapy - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Greater Than 40 Fitness Testosterone Replacement Therapy Update - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Testosterone therapy: Potential benefits and risks as you ... - April 13th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Risk Myths - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Does Testosterone Replacement Therapy Increase the Risk of Prostate Cancer? - Video - April 11th, 2015
- ALC - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 11th, 2015
- TRT - 6 Week Update / Beware Arimidex! (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - April 9th, 2015
- TRT - 1 Month Bloodwork Results / Protocol Adjustment (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Final - Video - March 21st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Dr. G - Video - March 19th, 2015
- Living Well: Testosterone therapy good idea or not? - March 14th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men | AAG Health Gains - March 9th, 2015
- AM I HIDING SOMETHING? Where's My Blood work? | TRT Update - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Andropause and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Treat Low T Symptoms w/ Testosterone Replacement Therapy - February 23rd, 2015
- The LIFE*MOD Podcast With Dr. Gonzalez - Testosterone Replacement Therapy Part 1 - Video - February 12th, 2015
- Is testosterone replacement therapy safe? Take a look at ... - February 7th, 2015
- Introduction to Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Video - February 1st, 2015
- what is testosterone replacement therapy | Find what is testosterone replacement therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- From Wellness and Prevention to Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testicular cancer - Testosterone replacement therapy - yourprivates.org.uk - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy testimonial - Dr. Retzler Portland Oregon - Video - December 25th, 2014
- Dr. Allens Device Boost Mens Wellbeing by Treating Enlarged Prostate & Chronic Prostatitis, While Testosterone ... - December 10th, 2014
- Carey Danis & Lowe Weighs in on Testosterone Gel Safety - November 26th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Danger & Play - November 7th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Women | eHow - November 4th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy For Young Men - Thumotic - October 30th, 2014
- Lipocine Announces Positive Top-line Results From Phase 2a Study Of LPCN 1111 - October 13th, 2014
- Cleveland Clinic: Testosterone Replacement Therapy - October 1st, 2014
- Strict Limitations May Be Coming for Low Testosterone Treatment - October 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Update - New Test Results - Video - September 28th, 2014
- It's Time To Cross The T's... - September 19th, 2014
- Endocrine Society Tells FDA Testosterone Therapy Should Only Be for Men with Hypogonadism - September 18th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | AAG HealthGAINS - Video - September 12th, 2014
- Warning over risks associated with testosterone replacement therapy - August 15th, 2014
- Is testosterone replacement therapy right for you? | Fox News - August 7th, 2014
- Do you need low T therapy? - August 7th, 2014
- Testosterone replacement therapy |Mens Medical New York PC ... - July 9th, 2014
- Low sex drive - or erectile dysfunction? - June 25th, 2014
- 1513 Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men - Video - June 13th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Could Come With Serious Side Effects - Video - May 11th, 2014
- Are Low-T Drugs Putting Patients At High Risk? - May 10th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Experts Urge Caution When Using Popular Hormone Replacement Therapy - May 10th, 2014
- Viewer Mail - Testosterone Replacement Therapy/TRT Not Natty, Balls Busted, etc. - Video - May 4th, 2014
- NJ-Based Law Firm Exploring Potential Legal Claims from Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Men - myVMC - April 30th, 2014
- Acrux falls 15% on sales warning - April 28th, 2014
- Low Testosterone Claims: Options in a Growing Class Action Suit - Video - April 26th, 2014
- Reclaim Your Energy and Sex Drive | Testosterone ... - April 14th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 12th, 2014
- FGSW - Weekly Weigh In & Update 15: Still Working On Mobility 03.31.14 - Video - April 7th, 2014
- FGSW Weekly Weigh In & Update 15 Still Working On Mobility 03 31 14 - Video - April 5th, 2014
- Discover the risk of prostate cancer with testosterone replacement therapy - Video - April 5th, 2014
- FGSW - Testosterone Replacement Therapy Update 03.27.14: An Improvement?? - Video - April 2nd, 2014
- Drug Recall Attorney at Herrera Law Firm, Inc., Comments on Reported Link Between Testosterone Drugs and Heart Attack ... - April 2nd, 2014
- FGSW - Week 14 Weigh-In & Update: Going Back To The Endocrinologist - Video - March 29th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy: How to Administer Expert TRT By John K. Crisler, DO - Video - March 9th, 2014
Contact Us Now
How useful was this post?
Click on a smiley face to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
Word Count: 698