Men prescribed testosterone replacement therapy to restore their male sex hormones to normal levels should not be afraid that the treatment will raise their risk of prostate cancer.
This was the main conclusion of a study that analyzed nationwide registry data on over a quarter of a million - mostly white - men residing in Sweden.
The research, led by New York University (NYU) Langone Medical Center, New York, NY, features at the American Urological Association annual meeting in San Diego, CA, May 6-10, 2016.
In fact, the researchers found not only that men prescribed testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for longer than a year showed no overall increase in risk of developing prostate cancer, but that if anything, their risk for aggressive disease was 50 percent lower than equivalent men not prescribed TRT.
The motive for the study was to try and settle a debate about the link between TRT and prostate cancer risk, say the researchers.
They note that experts suggest an aging "boomer" generation, and heavy marketing by the drug industry has fueled a rapid rise in use of TRT in the last 10 years, despite little being known about the long-term risks of the therapy.
They say surveys show TRT use has more than tripled since 2001, and now over 2 percent of American men their 40s and nearly 4 percent of those in their 60s are thought to be on TRT.
Once men reach their 30s, they can expect their testosterone levels to drop naturally by around 1 percent per year.
However, while a recent pooled analysis finds no increase in prostate cancer risk in men on TRT, it was found to have several limitations, such as the studies included in the review were small, did not look at long-term TRT use, or lacked a control group.
For their study, the NYU-led researchers chose to look at a very large sample from Sweden. The country is ideal for this type of study because it has comprehensive, nationwide registries of medical data on prostate cancer and prescription drugs.
They found 38,570 men who developed prostate cancer during 2009-2012, and among whom 284 were prescribed TRT before their cancer was diagnosed.
The researchers compared data on these men with data on another 192,838 age-matched controls who did not develop prostate cancer; this group included 1,378 men who had been prescribed TRT.
An initial analysis showed men on TRT had a 35 percent higher risk of being diagnosed with prostate cancer shortly after starting their treatment, but the researchers say the increase was only in cancers with a low risk of spreading and were likely diagnosed because of more doctor visits and biopsies performed early on.
They note that the 50 percent lower risk of being diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer was seen only in men who had been prescribed TRT for over a year. They found no difference in risk between gels and other ways of delivering TRT (such as by mouth, injection, or patch).
Lead investigator Stacy Loeb, assistant professor of urology and population health at NYU, and a specialist in prostate cancer, says much of the concern about the link between TRT and cancer risk is that one of the ways that prostate cancer is treated is with drugs that dramatically reduce rather than raise male sex hormones.
But," she notes, "when used appropriately by men with age-related low testosterone who are otherwise healthy, testosterone replacement has been shown to improve sexual function and mood."
Prof. Loeb explains that their findings suggest men should keep their testosterone levels steady and within a normal range and perhaps those who find their levels drop below 350 nanograms per deciliter and who experience symptoms should talk to their doctor about whether TRT would be right for them.
"Based on our findings, physicians should still be watching for prostate cancer risk factors - such as being over the age of 40, having African-American ancestry, or having a family history of the disease - in men taking testosterone therapy, but should not hesitate to prescribe it to appropriate patients for fear of increasing prostate cancer risk."
Prof. Stacy Loeb
The researchers plan to investigate why low testosterone might be a trigger for aggressive prostate cancer, and why holding it within the normal range might protect against the disease.
Discover how a new class of drugs shows promise against aggressive, resistant forms of prostate cancer.
Follow this link:
Contact Us Now
- Ensuring The Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men - September 4th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Might Be Legal, but It's Still Cheating in Professional Sports - August 17th, 2019
- The Dangerous Hyperbole Surrounding Testosterone Replacement Therapy - July 16th, 2019
- Can men have hot flashes? - July 6th, 2019
- Behavioral and Health Changes Decrease Levels of Testosterone - April 21st, 2019
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 1st, 2018
- Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy | The Medical ... - June 29th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Resources - Fabulously ... - June 15th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - cpt.sagepub.com - May 14th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Low Testosterone | Low T - April 28th, 2016
- Low Testosterone, Low T, E.D. | Andrologix.com - April 21st, 2016
- Low Testosterone Treatments - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - April 21st, 2016
- Testosterone Therapy Side Effects - DrugWatch - April 10th, 2016
- Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - April 10th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Myths and Facts - April 5th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Bottar Leone, PLLC - February 8th, 2016
- Heart Attack Risk from Testosterone Replacement Therapy - February 8th, 2016
- Book - What You Need to Know About Low Testosterone - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Torrance, CA - November 2nd, 2015
- Male Hormone Replacement | Low Testosterone Treatment - August 19th, 2015
- Hormone & Testosterone Replacement Therapy - August 15th, 2015
- testosterone replacement therapy cost , low testosterone therapy , buy testosterone online - Video - May 5th, 2015
- natural testosterone supplement , natural testosterone , natural testosterone replacement therapy - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Greater Than 40 Fitness Testosterone Replacement Therapy Update - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Testosterone therapy: Potential benefits and risks as you ... - April 13th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Risk Myths - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Does Testosterone Replacement Therapy Increase the Risk of Prostate Cancer? - Video - April 11th, 2015
- ALC - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 11th, 2015
- TRT - 6 Week Update / Beware Arimidex! (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - April 9th, 2015
- TRT - 1 Month Bloodwork Results / Protocol Adjustment (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Final - Video - March 21st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Dr. G - Video - March 19th, 2015
- Living Well: Testosterone therapy good idea or not? - March 14th, 2015
- New studies fail to find cardiovascular risk with testosterone therapy - March 10th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men | AAG Health Gains - March 9th, 2015
- AM I HIDING SOMETHING? Where's My Blood work? | TRT Update - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Andropause and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Treat Low T Symptoms w/ Testosterone Replacement Therapy - February 23rd, 2015
- The LIFE*MOD Podcast With Dr. Gonzalez - Testosterone Replacement Therapy Part 1 - Video - February 12th, 2015
- Is testosterone replacement therapy safe? Take a look at ... - February 7th, 2015
- testosterone replacement therapy online | Find a testosterone replacement therapy online - Video - February 1st, 2015
- testosterone replacement therapy clinics | Find a testosterone replacement therapy clinics - Video - February 1st, 2015
- Introduction to Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Video - February 1st, 2015
- what is testosterone replacement therapy | Find what is testosterone replacement therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- From Wellness and Prevention to Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testicular cancer - Testosterone replacement therapy - yourprivates.org.uk - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy testimonial - Dr. Retzler Portland Oregon - Video - December 25th, 2014
- Dr. Allens Device Boost Mens Wellbeing by Treating Enlarged Prostate & Chronic Prostatitis, While Testosterone ... - December 10th, 2014
- Carey Danis & Lowe Weighs in on Testosterone Gel Safety - November 26th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Danger & Play - November 7th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Women | eHow - November 4th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy For Young Men - Thumotic - October 30th, 2014
- Lipocine Announces Positive Top-line Results From Phase 2a Study Of LPCN 1111 - October 13th, 2014
- Cleveland Clinic: Testosterone Replacement Therapy - October 1st, 2014
- Strict Limitations May Be Coming for Low Testosterone Treatment - October 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Update - New Test Results - Video - September 28th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Dr. Richard Gaines - Video - September 20th, 2014
- It's Time To Cross The T's... - September 19th, 2014
- Endocrine Society Tells FDA Testosterone Therapy Should Only Be for Men with Hypogonadism - September 18th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | AAG HealthGAINS - Video - September 12th, 2014
- Warning over risks associated with testosterone replacement therapy - August 15th, 2014
- Is testosterone replacement therapy right for you? | Fox News - August 7th, 2014
- Do you need low T therapy? - August 7th, 2014
- Testosterone replacement therapy |Mens Medical New York PC ... - July 9th, 2014
- Low sex drive - or erectile dysfunction? - June 25th, 2014
- 1513 Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men - Video - June 13th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Could Come With Serious Side Effects - Video - May 11th, 2014
- Are Low-T Drugs Putting Patients At High Risk? - May 10th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Experts Urge Caution When Using Popular Hormone Replacement Therapy - May 10th, 2014
- Viewer Mail - Testosterone Replacement Therapy/TRT Not Natty, Balls Busted, etc. - Video - May 4th, 2014
- NJ-Based Law Firm Exploring Potential Legal Claims from Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Men - myVMC - April 30th, 2014
- Acrux falls 15% on sales warning - April 28th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Total T Clinic | 858-519-5509 - Video - April 26th, 2014
- Low Testosterone Claims: Options in a Growing Class Action Suit - Video - April 26th, 2014
- Reclaim Your Energy and Sex Drive | Testosterone ... - April 14th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 12th, 2014
- FGSW - Weekly Weigh In & Update 15: Still Working On Mobility 03.31.14 - Video - April 7th, 2014
- FGSW Weekly Weigh In & Update 15 Still Working On Mobility 03 31 14 - Video - April 5th, 2014
- Discover the risk of prostate cancer with testosterone replacement therapy - Video - April 5th, 2014
Word Count: 729