Testosterone drives egocentrism at the cost of cooperating with others, consequently affecting group decisions, a study reveals.
Collective problem solving can provide benefits over individual decisions as we can share our information and experiences, stated a new study from Wellcome Trust's Centre for Neuroimaging at the University College London.
Now researchers have shown that testosterone has the opposite effect — it makes people act less cooperative and more egocentric, the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences reported.
Researcher Nick Wright and colleagues at the Centre for Neuroimaging carried out a series of tests using 17 pairs of female volunteers who had previously never met. The trial took place over two days, spaced a week apart.
"When we are making decisions in groups, we tread a fine line between cooperation and self-interest: too much cooperation and we may never get our way, but if we are too self-orientated, we are likely to ignore people who have real insight," explained Wright.
On one of the days, both volunteers in each pair were given a testosterone supplement; on the other day, they were given a placebo.
Researchers found that, as expected, cooperation enabled the group to perform much better than the individuals alone when individuals had received only the placebo.
But, when given a testosterone supplement, the benefit of cooperation was markedly reduced.
In fact, higher levels of testosterone were associated with individuals behaving egocentrically and deciding in favor of their selection over their partner's.
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Kevin Nash Defends The Rock’s PED Use after Joe Rogan’s Comments - December 15th, 2022
- Testosterone Recruits Immune Cells That Fight Cancer - November 22nd, 2022
- Think Testosterone is for Men Only? THINK AGAIN! - November 16th, 2022
- The Testosterone Controversy: To Take or not to Take? - November 8th, 2022
- Testosterone for TRT Could Someday Be Supplied from a Single Skin Cell - September 5th, 2022
- Guide to Boosting Your Testosterone Levels Naturally - August 16th, 2022
- Testosterone and Human Behavior: Hormone Promotes Prosocial Behaviors - August 15th, 2022
- Frustrating Factors That Suppress Testosterone Levels - July 10th, 2022
- Study Investigates the Effects of Democratic Outcomes on Testosterone Levels - March 30th, 2022
- Your Life on Testosterone: Overly Sure, Unwilling to Listen to Anyone - October 17th, 2021
- Too much testosterone makes for bad decisions, tests show - Testosterone Prescription - May 10th, 2021
- With testosterone, it's 'my way or the highway': UK study - Testosterone Prescription - May 9th, 2021
- Testosterone therapy — good idea or not? - Testosterone Prescription - May 5th, 2021
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women- Testosterone Prescription - May 3rd, 2021
- Environment trumps genes in testosterone levels, study finds - Testosterone Prescription - May 2nd, 2021
- Men with higher testosterone tend to lie less, study suggests - April 30th, 2021
- Increase in testosterone drug use - Testosterone Prescription - April 29th, 2021
- The top ten testosterone booster supplements: A review - April 27th, 2021
- Testosterone replacement therapy improves symptoms of metabolic syndrome - Testosterone Prescription - April 24th, 2021
- Who Would Have Thought? The Moon’s Cycles Affect Men’s Hormones Too! - April 23rd, 2021
- Testosterone Therapy Could Lower Diabetes Risk for Men – The Science is Promising! - February 19th, 2021
- Acidosis: The Hidden Health Destroyer - January 20th, 2021
- Testosterone Linked to Heart Disease -- Testosterone Prescription - November 18th, 2020
- Hypogonadism and Testosterone - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - June 14th, 2020
- Low-T: Men With Low Testosterone Found More Likely to Die From COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - June 12th, 2020
- A Disturbing Trend: Testosterone Levels Falling Even Lower in Adolescent Males - May 31st, 2020
- Testosterone, Viagra not a winning combination for erectile dysfunction - Testosterone Prescription - April 30th, 2020
- Testosterone Reduces Group Think, Cooperation, and Less Sheep-Like Mentality - April 25th, 2020
- Five Myths About Low Testosterone And Testosterone Therapy — Testosterone Prescription - April 8th, 2020
- A Great Way to Boost Your Testosterone? Get Married! - April 1st, 2020
- Co-Sleeping with Baby Drops Men’s Testosterone Levels - March 21st, 2020
- Low Testosterone Levels Cause Health Woes -- Testosterone Prescription - March 11th, 2020
- Question: What Makes Men Sexy to Women? Answer: Low Stress, High Testosterone, Strong Immunity - Testosterone Therapy - February 29th, 2020
Word Count: 259