If you’ve been reading our website on a consistent basis, then you know that testosterone deficiency is on the rise in men across the United States.
Unfortunately, with low testosterone usually comes type 2 diabetes, another ailment that is increasing across the country.
Thankfully, both of these are easily cured with hormone therapy, lifestyle changes, and/or diet changes. Recent research has shown that men who have uncontrolled diabetes could benefit from testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) with improved memory and cognitive function.
Men Performed Better on Memory Tests When on TRT
Testosterone replacement therapy is necessary for men who are suffering from low testosterone, or hypogonadism, especially when experiencing negative symptoms.
These symptoms usually include erectile dysfunction/low libido, chronic fatigue, depression/anxiety, poor muscle mass, weight gain, etc. Mostly because of the weight gain, many men with low-T experience diabetes as well. When uncontrolled, it wreaks havoc on the body, further worsening sexual function and even impacting a man’s memory and cognitive functioning.
What’s great is that TRT could help cure both of these problems, not just erectile dysfunction, as many men believe is all that it does.
Testosterone is such an important hormone for men that it doesn’t just impact sex and fertility for them – it plays a role in multiple areas of the male body. Therefore, it’s not surprising that TRT can improve a man’s memory as well, as determined via preliminary results from a clinical trial.
Lead author, Preethi Mohan Rao, MD, states, “The findings are welcome news to men with diabetes and hypogonadism since they often have a poor quality of life.”
This poor quality of life is a result of the male body not producing enough testosterone. A man can be born with this issue, or it can develop later in life due to a poor lifestyle and other factors.
Hypogonadism and Diabetes
Sexual dysfunction is a common symptom in men with both hypogonadism and type 2 diabetes.
In fact, men who have type 2 diabetes are about two times as likely to experience low testosterone as well, according to the American Diabetes Association. Men who have uncontrolled diabetes and/or obesity are more at risk of developing low testosterone.
In the clinical trial, 65 men were randomly assigned to take either placebo shots or testosterone injections every 12 weeks for a period of six months. All men had hypogonadism and poorly controlled type 2 diabetes.
After the six months were up, the study was then extended for another six months. During this time, the men on TRT continued taking testosterone and the placebo group started taking testosterone themselves.
In the first six months, the men on TRT found an improved quality of life and a reduction in low testosterone symptoms.
After the additional six months, they reported continued symptom improvements as well as improved libido and better sexual function.
Another great finding was that the men on TRT performed significantly better on delayed verbal recall tests. These types of tests are used to detect early signs of dementia.
This was a small study, and others should be done to confirm this finding but are very promising.
Given the fact that testosterone impacts a man’s personality and even his opinions on social matters, it wouldn’t be a stretch to think that it could improve the memory of men as well and help to prevent cognitive decline as men age.
Testosterone is a very important hormone for men, as stated previously, and it’s imperative that men get their levels tested on a consistent basis in order to avoid a deficiency and the downright awful symptoms that this can cause.
Contact our clinic today to get started on a plan for testosterone blood tests – find out locations and cost with a quick phone call or shoot us a message through our contact form. It’s a simple way to be proactive with your health!
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Female Hypogonadism Symptoms | eHow - May 18th, 2021
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - April 25th, 2021
- Hypogonadism - April 11th, 2021
- Testosterone cream and gel for supplementation treating hypogonadism - March 13th, 2021
- Testosterone Treatments May Alleviate Negative Effects of Type-Two Diabetes - December 8th, 2020
- More than 152 Million Men Suffer from Hypogonadism and Low Testosterone - November 26th, 2020
- Clomiphene Citrate for Low-T - October 28th, 2020
- NATESTO (testosterone) Nasal Spray - October 27th, 2020
- Risk Factors for and Causes of Male Hypogonadism - October 11th, 2020
- What Is Male Hypogonadism - August 14th, 2020
- Excessive Use of Tylenol / Acetaminophen May Negatively Affect Testosterone Levels in Unborn Boys - August 1st, 2020
- Ordering Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) – Buy it Online! - May 8th, 2020
- Hypogonadism: Treatment, Diagnosis, and Prognosis - April 16th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - February 11th, 2020
- HIV and Testosterone Deficiency - verywell.com - July 17th, 2016
- Hypogonadism - UT Medical Center - July 17th, 2016
- Hypogonadism - Definition, Causes, Symptoms and Treatment - July 17th, 2016
- Lipocine - Hypogonadism - July 17th, 2016
- Hypogonadism - Risks, Symptoms and Leading Causes | Treato - July 17th, 2016
- Hypogonadism and Hypogonadism Resources - What is ... - July 17th, 2016
- Male Hypogonadism - Genitourinary Disorders - Merck ... - July 9th, 2016
- Male - Hypogonadism -- Low T Treatment Help!? - Drugs.com - May 6th, 2016
- Hypogonadism Causes Infertility. Learn how to detect and ... - May 6th, 2016
- BodyLogicMD - Hypogonadism (Low Testosterone in Men) - February 8th, 2016
- Hypogonadism | Disorders | Knowledge Base - August 26th, 2015
- hypogonadism | pathology | Britannica.com - July 22nd, 2015
- Male hypogonadism Tests and diagnosis - Mayo Clinic - May 23rd, 2015
- Hypogonadism (Medical Condition) - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Treatment Options for Hypogonadism - Healthline - April 4th, 2015
- Hypergonadotropic hypogonadism - Wikipedia, the free ... - March 23rd, 2015
- Testosterone treatment of male hypogonadism - UpToDate - March 23rd, 2015
- Statins may lower testosterone and libido - March 16th, 2015
- Hypogonadotropic Hypogonadism - Pipeline Review, H1 2015 - March 13th, 2015
- Biomarker monitors testosterone therapy for osteoporosis - March 12th, 2015
- The effect of hypogonadism and testosterone-enhancing therapy - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Causes of secondary hypogonadism in males - March 2nd, 2015
- Male hypogonadism: symptoms, cause, treatment, risk ... - February 18th, 2015
- Male Hypogonadism 1/28/15 - Video - January 31st, 2015
- What is Hypogonadism - Symptoms and Treatment | Hormone ... - January 30th, 2015
- Auxilium Announces Results from Special Meeting of Stockholders - January 28th, 2015
- Male hypogonadism pathophysiology - Video - January 14th, 2015
- Endo to Acquire Rights to Testosterone Nasal Gel Natesto - Analyst Blog - November 26th, 2014
- Testosterone Deficiency (Hypogonadism) Overview ... - November 23rd, 2014
- Male Hypogonadism Therapeutic Pipeline Industry Review, H2 2014 - Video - November 7th, 2014
- Hypogonadism in men living with HIV - Video - November 7th, 2014
- Will Repros (RPRX) Miss Estimates This Earnings Season? - Analyst Blog - November 5th, 2014
- Urology Care Foundation - Urology A-Z - Low Testosterone - November 3rd, 2014
- Male Hypogonadism: Male Reproductive Endocrinology: Merck ... - October 28th, 2014
- Hypogonadism Wikipedia - October 28th, 2014
- Hypogonadism No Moustache! No Beard!! - October 28th, 2014
- Apricus expands development pipeline with the in-licensing of US rights for fispemifene, a phase 2b ready asset, from ... - October 21st, 2014
- Apricus expands development pipeline with in-licensing of US rights for fispemifene - October 21st, 2014
- The Wall Street Journal: Repros Therapeutics shares drop on drug application setback - October 18th, 2014
- Repros Therapeutics Analyst Brief Report; Androxal(R) Achieves Superiority in Top Line Analysis by Small Cap Street ... - September 30th, 2014
- Repros Reports Encouraging Late-Stage Data on Androxal - Analyst Blog - August 28th, 2014
- Repros Therapeutics Q2 Loss a Penny Wider than Expected - Analyst Blog - August 12th, 2014
- Prevalence, Diagnosis and Treatment of Hypogonadism in ... - April 30th, 2014
- Repros Completes Enrollment for Androxal Study - Analyst Blog - April 16th, 2014
- VLog #127 Frances Explains Hypogonadism. - Video - April 7th, 2014
- Hypogonadism: Types, Causes, & Symptoms - Medical ... - April 6th, 2014
- Male hypogonadism Symptoms - Diseases and Conditions ... - April 2nd, 2014
- Update on Endo's Product Portfolio - Analyst Blog - March 11th, 2014
- Unit Project 1 Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism - Video - March 8th, 2014
- Endo: FDA Oks AVEED Injection For Treatment Of Adult Men With Hypogonadism - March 6th, 2014
- Hypogonadism | Medscape - Latest Medical News, Clinical ... - February 23rd, 2014
- Hypogonadism : Types, Causes, & Symptoms - Healthline - February 17th, 2014
- Low Testosterone (Hypogonadism) in Men - Video - February 14th, 2014
- Hypogonadism: Types, Causes, & Symptoms Healthline - February 14th, 2014
- Testosterone Therapy Not Always Good for Older Men - February 11th, 2014
- Endocrine Society calls for large-scale studies to evaluate testosterone therapy risks - February 8th, 2014
- Study Finds Potential Heart Risks from Testosterone Therapy - February 3rd, 2014
- Hypogonadism - SharedJourney - January 23rd, 2014
- Hypogonadism | Medscape - Latest Medical News, Clinical Trials ... - December 30th, 2013
- Hypogonadism - HealthCentral - December 24th, 2013
- Hypogonadism - December 23rd, 2013
- Hypogonadism - Medscape Reference - December 21st, 2013
- Audio-Digest Foundation Announces the Release of Oncology Volume 04, Issue 16: Highlights from Future Directions ... - December 15th, 2013
- Male hypogonadism: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com - December 12th, 2013
- Exciting medical advances using HRT - December 12th, 2013
- Hypogonadism - About.com Men's Health - December 2nd, 2013
Word Count: 665