Since the cure for cancer has not been completely discovered yet, scientists are still conducting research on how to fight it and what the body does when it develops cancer. Why are some cancers more prevalent in women, for example? Researchers from the French National Center for Scientific Research published an article in Science Advances back in October of 2022, whose study questioned why adrenal cancer is more common in women and why the prognoses are worse for women than men. Clearly, women and men produce very different hormones, especially estrogen and progesterone in women and testosterone in men. This may be a clue.
Aggressive Tumors Found in Male Mice, But Not Females
The subjects were mice and they discovered that male mice recruited more of the immune cells called macrophages (pictured) than females. Macrophages can eradicate tumor cells. Therefore, aggressive tumor growth is rarely seen in male mice. Macrophages did not appear to eradicate or even slow down the growth of tumors in females and the cancer cells would eventually spread or metastasize.
The scientists performed molecular analyses of the biochemistry taking place during immune cell stimulation and found that macrophage recruitment depends on the hormone testosterone. Once this was discovered, the scientists injected testosterone into the females – and, voila! – the macrophages were able to eliminate the cancer cells.
After mice, they moved on to humans and found that the same difference in macrophage recruitment rates were the same between men and women who had adrenal cancers.
Adrenal cancer has a five-year survival rate of less than 30% and is a pretty serious cancer. It may be possible to fight this cancer using hormone (testosterone) stimulation. It is unknown as of yet whether it could be used for other types of cancer since the only data on this was discovered with adrenal cancer so far.
Follow our website for more up-to-date and breaking news on hormone and endocrinological research.
Macrophage Image: By Noah Smith - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=115412051
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Testosterone for TRT Could Someday Be Supplied from a Single Skin Cell - September 5th, 2022
- Guide to Boosting Your Testosterone Levels Naturally - August 16th, 2022
- Testosterone and Human Behavior: Hormone Promotes Prosocial Behaviors - August 15th, 2022
- Frustrating Factors That Suppress Testosterone Levels - July 10th, 2022
- Study Investigates the Effects of Democratic Outcomes on Testosterone Levels - March 30th, 2022
- Your Life on Testosterone: Overly Sure, Unwilling to Listen to Anyone - October 17th, 2021
- Too much testosterone makes for bad decisions, tests show - Testosterone Prescription - May 10th, 2021
- With testosterone, it's 'my way or the highway': UK study - Testosterone Prescription - May 9th, 2021
- Testosterone therapy — good idea or not? - Testosterone Prescription - May 5th, 2021
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women- Testosterone Prescription - May 3rd, 2021
- Environment trumps genes in testosterone levels, study finds - Testosterone Prescription - May 2nd, 2021
- Men with higher testosterone tend to lie less, study suggests - April 30th, 2021
- Increase in testosterone drug use - Testosterone Prescription - April 29th, 2021
- The top ten testosterone booster supplements: A review - April 27th, 2021
- Testosterone replacement therapy improves symptoms of metabolic syndrome - Testosterone Prescription - April 24th, 2021
- Who Would Have Thought? The Moon’s Cycles Affect Men’s Hormones Too! - April 23rd, 2021
- Testosterone Therapy Could Lower Diabetes Risk for Men – The Science is Promising! - February 19th, 2021
- Acidosis: The Hidden Health Destroyer - January 20th, 2021
- Testosterone Linked to Heart Disease -- Testosterone Prescription - November 18th, 2020
- Testosterone Drives Ego, Reduces Cooperation — Testosterone Prescription - November 2nd, 2020
- Hypogonadism and Testosterone - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - June 14th, 2020
- Low-T: Men With Low Testosterone Found More Likely to Die From COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - June 12th, 2020
- A Disturbing Trend: Testosterone Levels Falling Even Lower in Adolescent Males - May 31st, 2020
- Testosterone, Viagra not a winning combination for erectile dysfunction - Testosterone Prescription - April 30th, 2020
- Testosterone Reduces Group Think, Cooperation, and Less Sheep-Like Mentality - April 25th, 2020
- Five Myths About Low Testosterone And Testosterone Therapy — Testosterone Prescription - April 8th, 2020
- A Great Way to Boost Your Testosterone? Get Married! - April 1st, 2020
- Co-Sleeping with Baby Drops Men’s Testosterone Levels - March 21st, 2020
- Low Testosterone Levels Cause Health Woes -- Testosterone Prescription - March 11th, 2020
- Question: What Makes Men Sexy to Women? Answer: Low Stress, High Testosterone, Strong Immunity - Testosterone Therapy - February 29th, 2020
Word Count: 339