Testosterone therapy helps men with Low T, but comes with the risk of serious side effects like heart attack, stroke and blood clots.
Did you suffer heart problems or blood clots after taking testosterone?
Record numbers of men are turning to testosterone replacement therapy to increase energy levels, muscle mass and sex drive.
Drug companies that manufacture testosterone replacement drugs like AndroGel heavily market their products promising a better quality of life for men, and it isnt uncommon for several television ads to air during football games and shows that target men.
The reality is that testosterone therapy can cause a number of health complications that might not be worth the benefits. Also, men arent the only ones affected by the drugs. Women, children and even pets can be adversely affected.
Some men are even filing lawsuits against the makers of testosterone products, claiming the manufacturers hid the dangers of their products.
Several studies documented several possible risks for men taking testosterone-enhancing drugs. These drugs are linked to several heart problems, including heart attacks.
One of the most recent studies, published on January 29, 2014, in the PLoS One journal, found that men older than 65 and younger men with undiagnosed heart disease had double the risk of suffering a heart attack after the first 90 days of testosterone therapy.
The study involved about 56,000 patients and was conducted by the National Cancer Institute and UCLA. Researchers compared data from patients before and after they received their first testosterone prescription.
This 2014 study was not the first to raise red flags about the cardiac risks associated with testosterone replacement drugs.
In 2010 and 2013, researchers conducted two studies published in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) and the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), respectively. These studies involved men who were frail or elderly and found that these men were more likely to suffer from several cardiac events, including heart attacks.
In fact, during the NEJM study, one man died and investigators said it was likely a heart attack brought on by testosterone use.
Have you experienced a heart attack or other serious side effects after taking Testosterone products?
According to findings in the NEJM and JAMA studies, testosterone gels also raised the risk for stroke also called a cerebrovascular accident or CVA. Men who took testosterone drugs were 30 percent more likely to suffer from strokes.
Some men who participated in the study had to undergo emergency artery-clearing procedures, the Los Angeles Times reported.
Men using testosterone have also suffered from mini-strokes, also called transient ischemic attacks or TIA. Mini-strokes happen when blood flow to the brain is halted for a brief period of time. About a third of people who have a mini-stroke go on to have a full stroke within a year.
One of the reasons why men using testosterone therapy drugs have stokes and mini-strokes may be the fact that testosterone therapy drugs cause blood cells to increase in size. This causes the blood to thicken and increases the risk for blood clots, which can lead to a stroke.
Not only can testosterone therapy drugs adversely affect the heart, but they are also linked to a possible increase in prostate cancer risk. One of the reasons for this is a spike in testosterone levels. One study led by Dr. Terrence Shaneyfelt involving men who received testosterone replacement therapy found that there was a two-fold increase in the risk of prostate cancer among men whose testosterone levels were above normal. The study was conducted by Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard.
Another study reviewed the medical records of six urology practices. Men involved underwent testosterone replacement therapy for sexual dysfunction or rejuvenation. In this study, a number of men were diagnosed with prostate cancer after they began testosterone therapy, some within two years of beginning therapy.
Many researchers agree that more study is needed on the relationship between testosterone therapy and prostate cancer. Men who undergo testosterone replacement therapy should be monitored by doctors to make sure that prostate cancer does not develop. Men who have a history of prostate problems should not use testosterone products.
Heart problems are not the only side effects linked to testosterone therapy. Other health problems linked to testosterone treatment range from sleep apnea to prostate cancer.
Studies show that testosterone therapy may exacerbate obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). OSA is a condition where the flow of air stops or decreases during sleep because of a blocked or narrowed airway. It can cause stroke, atrial fibrillation and cardiac ischemia, a condition where not enough blood is flowing to the heart.
Doctors recommend treating OSA before starting testosterone therapy.
Another side effect of testosterone therapy is polycythemia, a condition characterized by increased levels of red blood cells. When too many red blood cells are produced by the bone marrow, it causes the blood to thicken and increases the risk of blood clots, which can lead to stroke.
Testosterone therapy can upset the balance of hormones in the body. This can cause enlargement of male breasts, skin irritations, acne, oily skin and changes in hair patterns and growth.
The testicles may also shrink, and there is a risk of infertility that is irreversible.
Testosterone therapy for men can be dangerous to women and children if they come in contact with the drug by touching the patients skin. This usually occurs when men use testosterone gel and the application site is exposed. Anyone who comes in contact with the application site is at risk of developing side effects.
Women can experience acne or hair growth, and if they are pregnant, the unborn baby may be harmed.
In 2009, the FDA issued a warning about adverse effects in children exposed to testosterone gels through contact with application sites. Symptoms included abnormally large genitalia (penis and clitoris), advanced bone age, early puberty and aggressive behavior. Young boys may even develop enlarged breasts. A doctor should be contacted right away if these symptoms occur.
Pets exposed to testosterone can become violent and aggressive, and develop enlarged genitals.
Last modified: October 26, 2015
- Treat Low T Symptoms w/ Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 24th, 2021
- Testim 1% Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Auxilium To Promote Testosterone Gel Testim 1% With Glaxo For Hypogonadism - May 20th, 2021
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Can Improve Quality of Life for HIV-Infected Men - March 22nd, 2021
- The Dangerous Hyperbole Surrounding Testosterone Replacement Therapy - March 8th, 2021
- Can men have hot flashes? - March 7th, 2021
- Low Semen Count Success Stories; What Makes Seminal Fluid: How to Increase Semen Volume and Count - February 8th, 2021
- Aging Gracefully With Testosterone Injections - January 28th, 2021
- Behavioral and Health Changes Decrease Levels of Testosterone - January 5th, 2021
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Might Be Legal, but It's Still Cheating in Professional Sports - November 15th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement - Video - October 26th, 2020
- Ensuring The Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men - October 18th, 2020
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 10th, 2020
- The History, Myths and Misconceptions of Testosterone - May 13th, 2020
- Is Testosterone Good or Bad for Your Heart? Or is Estradiol the Real Culprit? - May 7th, 2020
- Book - What You Need to Know About Low Testosterone - February 8th, 2020
- Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy | The Medical ... - June 29th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Resources - Fabulously ... - June 15th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - cpt.sagepub.com - May 14th, 2016
- Prostate cancer: Testosterone therapy 'does not increase aggressive ... - May 11th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Low Testosterone | Low T - April 28th, 2016
- Low Testosterone, Low T, E.D. | Andrologix.com - April 21st, 2016
- Low Testosterone Treatments - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - April 21st, 2016
- Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - April 10th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Myths and Facts - April 5th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Bottar Leone, PLLC - February 8th, 2016
- Heart Attack Risk from Testosterone Replacement Therapy - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Torrance, CA - November 2nd, 2015
- Male Hormone Replacement | Low Testosterone Treatment - August 19th, 2015
- Hormone & Testosterone Replacement Therapy - August 15th, 2015
- Greater Than 40 Fitness Testosterone Replacement Therapy Update - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Testosterone therapy: Potential benefits and risks as you ... - April 13th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Risk Myths - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Does Testosterone Replacement Therapy Increase the Risk of Prostate Cancer? - Video - April 11th, 2015
- ALC - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 11th, 2015
- TRT - 6 Week Update / Beware Arimidex! (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - April 9th, 2015
- TRT - 1 Month Bloodwork Results / Protocol Adjustment (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Final - Video - March 21st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Dr. G - Video - March 19th, 2015
- Living Well: Testosterone therapy good idea or not? - March 14th, 2015
- New studies fail to find cardiovascular risk with testosterone therapy - March 10th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men | AAG Health Gains - March 9th, 2015
- AM I HIDING SOMETHING? Where's My Blood work? | TRT Update - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Andropause and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - March 5th, 2015
- The LIFE*MOD Podcast With Dr. Gonzalez - Testosterone Replacement Therapy Part 1 - Video - February 12th, 2015
- Is testosterone replacement therapy safe? Take a look at ... - February 7th, 2015
- Introduction to Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Video - February 1st, 2015
- what is testosterone replacement therapy | Find what is testosterone replacement therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- From Wellness and Prevention to Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testicular cancer - Testosterone replacement therapy - yourprivates.org.uk - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy testimonial - Dr. Retzler Portland Oregon - Video - December 25th, 2014
- Dr. Allens Device Boost Mens Wellbeing by Treating Enlarged Prostate & Chronic Prostatitis, While Testosterone ... - December 10th, 2014
- Carey Danis & Lowe Weighs in on Testosterone Gel Safety - November 26th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Danger & Play - November 7th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Women | eHow - November 4th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy For Young Men - Thumotic - October 30th, 2014
- Lipocine Announces Positive Top-line Results From Phase 2a Study Of LPCN 1111 - October 13th, 2014
- Cleveland Clinic: Testosterone Replacement Therapy - October 1st, 2014
- Strict Limitations May Be Coming for Low Testosterone Treatment - October 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Update - New Test Results - Video - September 28th, 2014
- It's Time To Cross The T's... - September 19th, 2014
- Endocrine Society Tells FDA Testosterone Therapy Should Only Be for Men with Hypogonadism - September 18th, 2014
- Warning over risks associated with testosterone replacement therapy - August 15th, 2014
- Is testosterone replacement therapy right for you? | Fox News - August 7th, 2014
- Do you need low T therapy? - August 7th, 2014
- Testosterone replacement therapy |Mens Medical New York PC ... - July 9th, 2014
- Low sex drive - or erectile dysfunction? - June 25th, 2014
- 1513 Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men - Video - June 13th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Could Come With Serious Side Effects - Video - May 11th, 2014
- Are Low-T Drugs Putting Patients At High Risk? - May 10th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Experts Urge Caution When Using Popular Hormone Replacement Therapy - May 10th, 2014
- Viewer Mail - Testosterone Replacement Therapy/TRT Not Natty, Balls Busted, etc. - Video - May 4th, 2014
- NJ-Based Law Firm Exploring Potential Legal Claims from Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Men - myVMC - April 30th, 2014
- Acrux falls 15% on sales warning - April 28th, 2014
- Low Testosterone Claims: Options in a Growing Class Action Suit - Video - April 26th, 2014
- Reclaim Your Energy and Sex Drive | Testosterone ... - April 14th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 12th, 2014
- FGSW - Weekly Weigh In & Update 15: Still Working On Mobility 03.31.14 - Video - April 7th, 2014
- FGSW Weekly Weigh In & Update 15 Still Working On Mobility 03 31 14 - Video - April 5th, 2014
- Discover the risk of prostate cancer with testosterone replacement therapy - Video - April 5th, 2014
Word Count: 1012