By Naomi Kresge - Wed Feb 15 11:18:29 GMT 2012
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (TEVA) said fourth-quarter profit rose 23 percent as last year’s acquisition of Cephalon Inc. shifted the company further away from its original identity as a generic-drug maker.
Earnings excluding some costs climbed to $1.4 billion, or $1.59 a share, from $1.1 billion, or $1.25, a year earlier, the Petach Tikva, Israel-based company said in a statement today. Profit matched the average estimate of $1.59 a share from 25 analysts surveyed by Bloomberg.
Teva, the world’s biggest maker of copied medicines, bought Frazer, Pennsylvania-based Cephalon for $6.5 billion last year in a bid to broaden a portfolio of brand-name drugs that has been dominated by the multiple sclerosis treatment Copaxone. In May, Teva will replace Chief Executive Officer Shlomo Yanai with Jeremy Levin, a Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. (BMY) executive known for overseeing the U.S. drugmaker’s “string of pearls” strategy of small acquisitions and partnerships.
“I hope that in May he knows exactly what he wants to do because he doesn’t have time to waste,” Gilad Alper, a Tel Aviv-based analyst for Excellence Nessuah Brokerage, said in a telephone interview today. “Whatever Levin wants to do, he’ll need a lot of money. He needs the goodwill of lenders, and that will decline rather quickly if Copaxone market share declines.”
Teva has a strong pipeline of branded drugs, Yanai said at a press conference in Tel Aviv today. The company is in “advanced talks” with U.S. Food and Drug Administration officials to craft a study to enable it to win approval for multiple sclerosis pill laquinimod, he said. The drug failed in one trial last year and yielded disappointing results in a second.
“I am optimistic about the continued growth of Teva in the branded products sector,” Yanai said.
Earnings excluding some costs this year will be $5.48 to $5.68 a share, while revenue will reach about $22 billion, Teva said in December. The company said then it may not meet its long-term target of $31 billion in sales by 2015, which Yanai described as an “aspirational goal.”
Teva rose 2.4 percent to 167.80 shekels at 1:17 p.m. in Tel Aviv. The company’s American depositary receipts have lost 15 percent in the past year including reinvested dividends on the Nasdaq Stock Market, compared with a 17 percent return for the Bloomberg Europe Pharmaceutical Index.
Sales rose 28 percent to $5.7 billion, as revenue from brand-name drugs soared 68 percent to $2.3 billion with the inclusion of Cephalon’s products. Sales of generic drugs in the U.S. fell 5 percent to $1.2 billion.
Cephalon’s top-selling drug, Provigil, loses patent protection in April, Natali Gotlieb, a Tel Aviv-based analyst for Israel Brokerage & Investments Ltd., said in a telephone interview today. The narcolepsy treatment had sales of $350 million in the fourth quarter.
“Everyone already has 2012 in their mind,” Gotlieb said.
Teva and U.S. partner BioSante Pharmaceuticals Inc. (BPAX) won U.S. clearance to sell Bio-T-Gel, a testosterone replacement therapy for men, the Food and Drug Administration said late yesterday. BioSante estimates the U.S. market for male testosterone products exceeds $1.2 billion.
Fourth-quarter revenue from Copaxone, which faces competition from newer treatments, increased 11 percent to $927 million. Teva has said sales will probably peak at $3.8 billion this year.
The company reported profit that doesn’t meet generally accepted accounting principles because it excludes costs linked to acquisitions such as Cephalon. On a net income basis, Teva earned $506 million in the quarter, 34 percent less than the $771 million in the year-ago period.
Teva increased its quarterly dividend 25 percent to 1 shekel a share. The company will hold a conference call with analysts at 8:30 a.m. New York time today.
To contact the reporter on this story: Naomi Kresge in Berlin at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Phil Serafino at email@example.com
See the original post:
- Treat Low T Symptoms w/ Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 24th, 2021
- Testim 1% Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Auxilium To Promote Testosterone Gel Testim 1% With Glaxo For Hypogonadism - May 20th, 2021
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Can Improve Quality of Life for HIV-Infected Men - March 22nd, 2021
- The Dangerous Hyperbole Surrounding Testosterone Replacement Therapy - March 8th, 2021
- Can men have hot flashes? - March 7th, 2021
- Low Semen Count Success Stories; What Makes Seminal Fluid: How to Increase Semen Volume and Count - February 8th, 2021
- Aging Gracefully With Testosterone Injections - January 28th, 2021
- Behavioral and Health Changes Decrease Levels of Testosterone - January 5th, 2021
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Might Be Legal, but It's Still Cheating in Professional Sports - November 15th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement - Video - October 26th, 2020
- Ensuring The Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men - October 18th, 2020
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 10th, 2020
- The History, Myths and Misconceptions of Testosterone - May 13th, 2020
- Is Testosterone Good or Bad for Your Heart? Or is Estradiol the Real Culprit? - May 7th, 2020
- Book - What You Need to Know About Low Testosterone - February 8th, 2020
- Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy | The Medical ... - June 29th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Resources - Fabulously ... - June 15th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - cpt.sagepub.com - May 14th, 2016
- Prostate cancer: Testosterone therapy 'does not increase aggressive ... - May 11th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Low Testosterone | Low T - April 28th, 2016
- Low Testosterone, Low T, E.D. | Andrologix.com - April 21st, 2016
- Low Testosterone Treatments - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - April 21st, 2016
- Testosterone Therapy Side Effects - DrugWatch - April 10th, 2016
- Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - April 10th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Myths and Facts - April 5th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Bottar Leone, PLLC - February 8th, 2016
- Heart Attack Risk from Testosterone Replacement Therapy - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Torrance, CA - November 2nd, 2015
- Male Hormone Replacement | Low Testosterone Treatment - August 19th, 2015
- Hormone & Testosterone Replacement Therapy - August 15th, 2015
- Greater Than 40 Fitness Testosterone Replacement Therapy Update - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Testosterone therapy: Potential benefits and risks as you ... - April 13th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Risk Myths - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Does Testosterone Replacement Therapy Increase the Risk of Prostate Cancer? - Video - April 11th, 2015
- ALC - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 11th, 2015
- TRT - 6 Week Update / Beware Arimidex! (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - April 9th, 2015
- TRT - 1 Month Bloodwork Results / Protocol Adjustment (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Final - Video - March 21st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Dr. G - Video - March 19th, 2015
- Living Well: Testosterone therapy good idea or not? - March 14th, 2015
- New studies fail to find cardiovascular risk with testosterone therapy - March 10th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men | AAG Health Gains - March 9th, 2015
- AM I HIDING SOMETHING? Where's My Blood work? | TRT Update - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Andropause and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - March 5th, 2015
- The LIFE*MOD Podcast With Dr. Gonzalez - Testosterone Replacement Therapy Part 1 - Video - February 12th, 2015
- Is testosterone replacement therapy safe? Take a look at ... - February 7th, 2015
- Introduction to Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Video - February 1st, 2015
- what is testosterone replacement therapy | Find what is testosterone replacement therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- From Wellness and Prevention to Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testicular cancer - Testosterone replacement therapy - yourprivates.org.uk - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy testimonial - Dr. Retzler Portland Oregon - Video - December 25th, 2014
- Dr. Allens Device Boost Mens Wellbeing by Treating Enlarged Prostate & Chronic Prostatitis, While Testosterone ... - December 10th, 2014
- Carey Danis & Lowe Weighs in on Testosterone Gel Safety - November 26th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Danger & Play - November 7th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Women | eHow - November 4th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy For Young Men - Thumotic - October 30th, 2014
- Lipocine Announces Positive Top-line Results From Phase 2a Study Of LPCN 1111 - October 13th, 2014
- Cleveland Clinic: Testosterone Replacement Therapy - October 1st, 2014
- Strict Limitations May Be Coming for Low Testosterone Treatment - October 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Update - New Test Results - Video - September 28th, 2014
- It's Time To Cross The T's... - September 19th, 2014
- Endocrine Society Tells FDA Testosterone Therapy Should Only Be for Men with Hypogonadism - September 18th, 2014
- Warning over risks associated with testosterone replacement therapy - August 15th, 2014
- Is testosterone replacement therapy right for you? | Fox News - August 7th, 2014
- Do you need low T therapy? - August 7th, 2014
- Testosterone replacement therapy |Mens Medical New York PC ... - July 9th, 2014
- Low sex drive - or erectile dysfunction? - June 25th, 2014
- 1513 Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men - Video - June 13th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Could Come With Serious Side Effects - Video - May 11th, 2014
- Are Low-T Drugs Putting Patients At High Risk? - May 10th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Experts Urge Caution When Using Popular Hormone Replacement Therapy - May 10th, 2014
- Viewer Mail - Testosterone Replacement Therapy/TRT Not Natty, Balls Busted, etc. - Video - May 4th, 2014
- NJ-Based Law Firm Exploring Potential Legal Claims from Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Men - myVMC - April 30th, 2014
- Acrux falls 15% on sales warning - April 28th, 2014
- Low Testosterone Claims: Options in a Growing Class Action Suit - Video - April 26th, 2014
- Reclaim Your Energy and Sex Drive | Testosterone ... - April 14th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 12th, 2014
- FGSW - Weekly Weigh In & Update 15: Still Working On Mobility 03.31.14 - Video - April 7th, 2014
- FGSW Weekly Weigh In & Update 15 Still Working On Mobility 03 31 14 - Video - April 5th, 2014
Word Count: 642