The late 1800s was a completely different world than what we live in today: deodorant and toilet paper were just invented; chamber pots were the norm; people rubbed mercury on their skin for health benefits; Sherlock Holmes was shooting up on cocaine...and we had Dr. Charles-Edouard Brown-Sequard who was injecting his “liquide testiculaire,” composed of water, testicular vein blood, semen and juices extracted from crushed testicles of a dog or guinea pig.” This lovely concoction was recommended to others to inject to “feel like a new man.”
Video Link: https://vimeo.com/420403091
Video Download: The History Myths And Misconceptions Of Testosterone
Video Stream: The History Myths And Misconceptions Of Testosterone
And this “elixir of life” was presented at the Societe de Biologie in Paris. Yikes. Dr. Brown-Sequard was 72 years old and declared that his tincture gave him vitality and made him feel like new.
His brain was rejuvenated. His presentation must have proved convincing because it later was estimated that around 12,000 scientists were also injecting themselves this concoction. Thus, the study of testosterone started out rather oddly.
The Beginning of Testosterone Research
However, Dr. Brown-Sequard was on to something. The idea that there must be some sort of “substance” produced in the testicles and blood that could be influential on men's brains and their energy levels as well as benefitting our health is not so left field. Such substances are called hormones today, and the most important one for men is testosterone.
Hormones are such important molecules that affect all of us every single day. They play a role in every system within our bodies.
It is how our organs, cells, and tissues communicate with each other and start or stop such processes like digestion, production of semen, muscle contraction, and hair growth. And even more!
The first hormone that we discovered was secretin in the year 1902. After that came oestrogens, progestogens, and androgens. Finally, in 1935, a biologist named Fred Koch found testosterone. He had discovered it by experimenting with the testes of bulls to find a “male hormone.”
The isolates from the testes were given to castrated roosters, pigs, and rats, in order “remasculinize” them. After this, the research team under Ernst Laqueur at the University of Amsterdam started on the process with others to truly isolate the hormone.
Once this was officially discovered via scientific methods, people went wild with their own theories and experiments. Some injected male chickens with testosterone to perk up their red combs, and others promoted grafting monkey testicles onto humans to increase energy and longevity!
A cocktail was even created in the monkey testicle advocate's honor – Monkey Gland. Sounds delish.
The True Power of Testosterone
As our scientific methods advanced and more was discovered about our endocrine systems and testosterone in general, the quacks and scammy salesmen who just wanted to make a quick buck began to dissipate. We have finally seen the true power behind testosterone.
The three major historical experiments that show the incredible benefits of testosterone, or testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), are described herein.
1. In 1849, a curator of the zoo in Goettingen, Germany, named Arnold Berthauld, made some exciting and conclusive observations. He noticed that when roosters were castrated, their behavior drastically changed. They no longer fought, crowed, or mated. Also, the red combs on the tops of their heads would regress. Berthauld re-implanted their testes, and their typical behavior came back, and the comb would regrow! From this experiment was born the study of hormones, or endocrinology.
2. The second was actually the work of Dr. Brown-Sequard, as described above. His experiments may have sounded zany and gross, but as said previously, he was truly on to something. He described the effects of his concoction: “...a radical change took place in me...I fully regained my old powers...my limbs...showed a decided gain of strength.” Unfortunately, this was all a placebo effect. But the drama and exhortations of his claims brought the scientific interest needed to jumpstart endocrinological research and the eventual synthesis of testosterone.
3. The third great scientific finding came in 1944, ten years after the synthesis of testosterone. Two men, Carl Heller and Gordon Myers, were studying the pattern of symptoms that men experience as they age, including depression, fatigue, impaired memory, and low libido. Because measuring the amount of testosterone in the blood was not feasible at the time, they performed testicular biopsies and bioassays that showed these symptomatic men as having increased urinary gonadotropin levels. Such increased levels were observed in castrated men as well, whereas normal men who did not show such symptoms had normal gonadotropin levels. Heller and Myers eventually also showed that the signs and gonadotropin levels were reversed to normal when the men were administered testosterone propionate injections. These symptoms and issues have been medically termed hypogonadism.
So, there you have it: the wild and somewhat disgusting history of the discovery and use of testosterone. After several decades of research, we can finally attest to the benefits of testosterone replacement therapy and maintaining adequate levels of the hormone in the male (and female!) body.
If you think you may be suffering from hypogonadism, or low testosterone, and would like to discuss the options of TRT, go ahead and fill out our contact form or give us a call. We promise we will not inject you with the “liquide testiculaire”!
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- The Link Between Low Testosterone and Depression - October 8th, 2022
- Five Myths About Vasectomies - July 12th, 2022
- Treat Low T Symptoms w/ Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 24th, 2021
- Testim 1% Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Auxilium To Promote Testosterone Gel Testim 1% With Glaxo For Hypogonadism - May 20th, 2021
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Can Improve Quality of Life for HIV-Infected Men - March 22nd, 2021
- The Dangerous Hyperbole Surrounding Testosterone Replacement Therapy - March 8th, 2021
- Can men have hot flashes? - March 7th, 2021
- Low Semen Count Success Stories; What Makes Seminal Fluid: How to Increase Semen Volume and Count - February 8th, 2021
- Aging Gracefully With Testosterone Injections - January 28th, 2021
- Behavioral and Health Changes Decrease Levels of Testosterone - January 5th, 2021
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Might Be Legal, but It's Still Cheating in Professional Sports - November 15th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement - Video - October 26th, 2020
- Ensuring The Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men - October 18th, 2020
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 10th, 2020
- Is Testosterone Good or Bad for Your Heart? Or is Estradiol the Real Culprit? - May 7th, 2020
- Book - What You Need to Know About Low Testosterone - February 8th, 2020
- Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy | The Medical ... - June 29th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Resources - Fabulously ... - June 15th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - cpt.sagepub.com - May 14th, 2016
- Prostate cancer: Testosterone therapy 'does not increase aggressive ... - May 11th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Low Testosterone | Low T - April 28th, 2016
- Low Testosterone, Low T, E.D. | Andrologix.com - April 21st, 2016
- Low Testosterone Treatments - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - April 21st, 2016
- Testosterone Therapy Side Effects - DrugWatch - April 10th, 2016
- Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - April 10th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Myths and Facts - April 5th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Bottar Leone, PLLC - February 8th, 2016
- Heart Attack Risk from Testosterone Replacement Therapy - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Torrance, CA - November 2nd, 2015
- Male Hormone Replacement | Low Testosterone Treatment - August 19th, 2015
- Hormone & Testosterone Replacement Therapy - August 15th, 2015
- Greater Than 40 Fitness Testosterone Replacement Therapy Update - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Testosterone therapy: Potential benefits and risks as you ... - April 13th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Risk Myths - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Does Testosterone Replacement Therapy Increase the Risk of Prostate Cancer? - Video - April 11th, 2015
- ALC - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 11th, 2015
- TRT - 6 Week Update / Beware Arimidex! (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - April 9th, 2015
- TRT - 1 Month Bloodwork Results / Protocol Adjustment (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Dr. G - Video - March 19th, 2015
- Living Well: Testosterone therapy good idea or not? - March 14th, 2015
- New studies fail to find cardiovascular risk with testosterone therapy - March 10th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men | AAG Health Gains - March 9th, 2015
- AM I HIDING SOMETHING? Where's My Blood work? | TRT Update - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Andropause and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - March 5th, 2015
- The LIFE*MOD Podcast With Dr. Gonzalez - Testosterone Replacement Therapy Part 1 - Video - February 12th, 2015
- Is testosterone replacement therapy safe? Take a look at ... - February 7th, 2015
- Introduction to Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Video - February 1st, 2015
- what is testosterone replacement therapy | Find what is testosterone replacement therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- From Wellness and Prevention to Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testicular cancer - Testosterone replacement therapy - yourprivates.org.uk - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy testimonial - Dr. Retzler Portland Oregon - Video - December 25th, 2014
- Dr. Allens Device Boost Mens Wellbeing by Treating Enlarged Prostate & Chronic Prostatitis, While Testosterone ... - December 10th, 2014
- Carey Danis & Lowe Weighs in on Testosterone Gel Safety - November 26th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Danger & Play - November 7th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Women | eHow - November 4th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy For Young Men - Thumotic - October 30th, 2014
- Lipocine Announces Positive Top-line Results From Phase 2a Study Of LPCN 1111 - October 13th, 2014
- Cleveland Clinic: Testosterone Replacement Therapy - October 1st, 2014
- Strict Limitations May Be Coming for Low Testosterone Treatment - October 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Update - New Test Results - Video - September 28th, 2014
- It's Time To Cross The T's... - September 19th, 2014
- Endocrine Society Tells FDA Testosterone Therapy Should Only Be for Men with Hypogonadism - September 18th, 2014
- Warning over risks associated with testosterone replacement therapy - August 15th, 2014
- Is testosterone replacement therapy right for you? | Fox News - August 7th, 2014
- Do you need low T therapy? - August 7th, 2014
- Testosterone replacement therapy |Mens Medical New York PC ... - July 9th, 2014
- Low sex drive - or erectile dysfunction? - June 25th, 2014
- 1513 Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men - Video - June 13th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Could Come With Serious Side Effects - Video - May 11th, 2014
- Are Low-T Drugs Putting Patients At High Risk? - May 10th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Experts Urge Caution When Using Popular Hormone Replacement Therapy - May 10th, 2014
- Viewer Mail - Testosterone Replacement Therapy/TRT Not Natty, Balls Busted, etc. - Video - May 4th, 2014
- NJ-Based Law Firm Exploring Potential Legal Claims from Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Men - myVMC - April 30th, 2014
- Acrux falls 15% on sales warning - April 28th, 2014
- Low Testosterone Claims: Options in a Growing Class Action Suit - Video - April 26th, 2014
- Reclaim Your Energy and Sex Drive | Testosterone ... - April 14th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 12th, 2014
- FGSW - Weekly Weigh In & Update 15: Still Working On Mobility 03.31.14 - Video - April 7th, 2014
- FGSW Weekly Weigh In & Update 15 Still Working On Mobility 03 31 14 - Video - April 5th, 2014
Word Count: 899