The late 1800s was a completely different world than what we live in today: deodorant and toilet paper were just invented; chamber pots were the norm; people rubbed mercury on their skin for health benefits; Sherlock Holmes was shooting up on cocaine...and we had Dr. Charles-Edouard Brown-Sequard who was injecting his “liquide testiculaire,” composed of water, testicular vein blood, semen and juices extracted from crushed testicles of a dog or guinea pig.” This lovely concoction was recommended to others to inject to “feel like a new man.”
Video Download: The History Myths And Misconceptions Of Testosterone
Video Stream: The History Myths And Misconceptions Of Testosterone
And this “elixir of life” was presented at the Societe de Biologie in Paris. Yikes. Dr. Brown-Sequard was 72 years old and declared that his tincture gave him vitality and made him feel like new.
His brain was rejuvenated. His presentation must have proved convincing because it later was estimated that around 12,000 scientists were also injecting themselves this concoction. Thus, the study of testosterone started out rather oddly.
The Beginning of Testosterone Research
However, Dr. Brown-Sequard was on to something. The idea that there must be some sort of “substance” produced in the testicles and blood that could be influential on men's brains and their energy levels as well as benefitting our health is not so left field. Such substances are called hormones today, and the most important one for men is testosterone.
Hormones are such important molecules that affect all of us every single day. They play a role in every system within our bodies.
It is how our organs, cells, and tissues communicate with each other and start or stop such processes like digestion, production of semen, muscle contraction, and hair growth. And even more!
The first hormone that we discovered was secretin in the year 1902. After that came oestrogens, progestogens, and androgens. Finally, in 1935, a biologist named Fred Koch found testosterone. He had discovered it by experimenting with the testes of bulls to find a “male hormone.”
The isolates from the testes were given to castrated roosters, pigs, and rats, in order “remasculinize” them. After this, the research team under Ernst Laqueur at the University of Amsterdam started on the process with others to truly isolate the hormone.
Once this was officially discovered via scientific methods, people went wild with their own theories and experiments. Some injected male chickens with testosterone to perk up their red combs, and others promoted grafting monkey testicles onto humans to increase energy and longevity!
A cocktail was even created in the monkey testicle advocate's honor – Monkey Gland. Sounds delish.
The True Power of Testosterone
As our scientific methods advanced and more was discovered about our endocrine systems and testosterone in general, the quacks and scammy salesmen who just wanted to make a quick buck began to dissipate. We have finally seen the true power behind testosterone.
The three major historical experiments that show the incredible benefits of testosterone, or testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), are described herein.
1. In 1849, a curator of the zoo in Goettingen, Germany, named Arnold Berthauld, made some exciting and conclusive observations. He noticed that when roosters were castrated, their behavior drastically changed. They no longer fought, crowed, or mated. Also, the red combs on the tops of their heads would regress. Berthauld re-implanted their testes, and their typical behavior came back, and the comb would regrow! From this experiment was born the study of hormones, or endocrinology.
2. The second was actually the work of Dr. Brown-Sequard, as described above. His experiments may have sounded zany and gross, but as said previously, he was truly on to something. He described the effects of his concoction: “...a radical change took place in me...I fully regained my old powers...my limbs...showed a decided gain of strength.” Unfortunately, this was all a placebo effect. But the drama and exhortations of his claims brought the scientific interest needed to jumpstart endocrinological research and the eventual synthesis of testosterone.
3. The third great scientific finding came in 1944, ten years after the synthesis of testosterone. Two men, Carl Heller and Gordon Myers, were studying the pattern of symptoms that men experience as they age, including depression, fatigue, impaired memory, and low libido. Because measuring the amount of testosterone in the blood was not feasible at the time, they performed testicular biopsies and bioassays that showed these symptomatic men as having increased urinary gonadotropin levels. Such increased levels were observed in castrated men as well, whereas normal men who did not show such symptoms had normal gonadotropin levels. Heller and Myers eventually also showed that the signs and gonadotropin levels were reversed to normal when the men were administered testosterone propionate injections. These symptoms and issues have been medically termed hypogonadism.
So, there you have it: the wild and somewhat disgusting history of the discovery and use of testosterone. After several decades of research, we can finally attest to the benefits of testosterone replacement therapy and maintaining adequate levels of the hormone in the male (and female!) body.
If you think you may be suffering from hypogonadism, or low testosterone, and would like to discuss the options of TRT, go ahead and fill out our contact form or give us a call. We promise we will not inject you with the “liquide testiculaire”!
- Increased Fat Intake Could Boost Moderate Low Testosterone Levels - June 13th, 2021
- Low Testosterone In Women - VieNue Bioidentical ... - May 30th, 2021
- Truth About Testosterone Quiz: Low Testosterone and Axiron - April 26th, 2021
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - April 25th, 2021
- Testosterone cream and gel for supplementation treating hypogonadism - March 13th, 2021
- Ester Marsh: Low testosterone and exercise - November 6th, 2020
- It is the rare man who has low T - November 4th, 2020
- Low Testosterone Linked to Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease - September 10th, 2020
- Hypotestosteronism - Low Testosterone and Hypogonadism - June 12th, 2020
- The Effects of Marijuana on Testosterone Production - May 16th, 2020
- Can Testosterone Deficiency Cause or Contribute to Feelings of Depression? - May 6th, 2020
- Methadone Suppresses Testosterone Production in Men - May 5th, 2020
- How Low Testosterone Could Be Deadly - April 24th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - February 11th, 2020
- Low Testosterone Explained - WebMD - July 29th, 2016
- Testosterone therapy: Potential benefits and risks as you age - Mayo Clinic - July 29th, 2016
- Low Testosterone in Men - Hormone Health Network - May 9th, 2016
- 7 Symptoms of Low Testosterone in Women - May 9th, 2016
- Low Male Testosterone Level - Symptoms and Diagnosis - April 29th, 2016
- Low Testosterone (Low-T) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - eMedicineHealth - April 17th, 2016
- How can I boost my testosterone level? - WebMD Answers - April 10th, 2016
- Increase Low Testosterone Levels with Testosterone-Rx ... - February 8th, 2016
- Low Testosterone and Your Health - WebMD - October 29th, 2015
- Low Testosterone - Steroid .com - October 22nd, 2015
- LowTestosterone.com - Symptoms of Low Testosterone - October 5th, 2015
- Is Low Testosterone Affecting Your Health? - August 8th, 2015
- Low Testosterone (Low-T): Get Facts on Levels and Treatment - August 7th, 2015
- Low Testosterone in Men With Diabetes - July 6th, 2015
- testosterone low , low testosterone effects , how to treat low testosterone - Video - May 5th, 2015
- do i have low testosterone , symptoms low testosterone , supplements for low testosterone - Video - May 5th, 2015
- low testosterone causes , what causes low testosterone , signs of low testosterone - Video - May 5th, 2015
- testosterone levels by age , low testosterone levels - Video - May 5th, 2015
- testosterone t , on testosterone booster , best testosterone product - Video - May 4th, 2015
- testosterone shots cost , testosterone suppliments , herbs for testosterone - Video - May 4th, 2015
- free testosterone , high testosterone , testosterone shots , what does testosterone do - Video - May 4th, 2015
- muscle building testosterone , healthy testosterone boosters , healthy testosterone - Video - May 4th, 2015
- testosterone for muscle mass , best testosterone booster for mass - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Myths and Misconceptions around Low Testosterone Treatment - Video - May 4th, 2015
- effects of low testosterone , low testosterone , what is low testosterone - Video - May 4th, 2015
- low testosterone level , buy testosterone - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Cure Intro - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- low male testosterone , how to increase low testosterone in males , raising testosterone levels - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- symptoms of low testosterone , causes of low testosterone - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Luke McNally - Low Vitamin D may cause low testosterone - Video - April 30th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Therapy Risks and Benefits - Video - April 25th, 2015
- Too Much Estrogen? Every Man Should Watch This! - Video - April 24th, 2015
- The Truth About Low Testosterone - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Low Testosterone - Men Lose 90% of their Testosterone from age 25 to age 70 - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Ageless Living - Topic: Low Testosterone - Video - April 17th, 2015
- 10 Foods That overcome low testosterone levels - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Low testosterone - April 13th - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Low testosterone help - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Treatment Center in St. Louis | Low T Therapy - April 4th, 2015
- Low-T in women can lead to obesity, study finds - April 2nd, 2015
- Men's Health Show | Low-T, Prostate, Robotic Surgery - Video - March 30th, 2015
- How can we find out if my husband has low testosterone? - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Increase testosterone supplements - Video - March 19th, 2015
- How to increase your testosterone - Video - March 19th, 2015
- How Even Borderline Low T Might Affect Your Health - Video - March 14th, 2015
- Feel Like You are 25 Again,Low Testosterone, Testosterone solution - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Antares Announces Positive Pharmacokinetic Results From QuickShot Phase 3 Study - February 25th, 2015
- Low Testosterone anxiety - Men's Health - MedHelp - February 23rd, 2015
- low libido High Testosterone - Urology - MedHelp - February 23rd, 2015
- Low Testosterone Therapy | Men's Health - February 23rd, 2015
- Valentine's Day is an important day for men's health - Video - February 18th, 2015
- Treatments for Low Testosterone from Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Edition - Video - February 15th, 2015
- Testosterone treatment soars, but is it the answer? - Video - February 15th, 2015
- Why is Low Testosterone so Common - Video - February 12th, 2015
- 7 ways hormones improve your quality of life - February 5th, 2015
- Low T | How To Increase Testosterone Naturally - February 1st, 2015
- Low Testosterone Symptoms | eHow - eHow | How to ... - January 31st, 2015
- Low Testosterone | Symptoms, Causes, Treatments - January 30th, 2015
- Analysis Rejects Linkage Between Testosterone Therapy And Cardiovascular Risk - January 28th, 2015
- Bodybuilding supplement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - January 11th, 2015
- Strategy Might Thwart Resistance to a Common Prostate Cancer Treatment - January 10th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Treatment for Men Insurance Accepted ... - December 29th, 2014
- What is Testosterone? | Boston Medical Group - December 29th, 2014
- Renew Male Review: Fix Low Testosterone With Natural Booster - Video - December 22nd, 2014
- Symptoms of A Low Testosterone Level How To Know Quickly - Video - December 22nd, 2014
- The Link Between Low Testosterone and Heart Disease - December 17th, 2014
Word Count: 888