The Link Between Low Testosterone and Depression
Aging is inevitable and is considered by some people to be both a blessing and a curse. A blessing is that older people become wiser, more tranquil, and more patient and can use their experience as a yardstick to measure people, situations, and circumstances.
Also, many older folks have a deep philosophical and spiritual foundation that enables them to experience the vicissitudes of aging with a peaceful acceptance.
However, there are many downsides to aging:
• Loss of muscle size and strength.
• Stiffness that makes moving more challenging.
• Persistent pain from creaky, run-down joints.
• Insomnia, along with an inability to stay asleep.
• Dental problems.
• Failing eyesight.
• Having difficulty concentrating.
• Chronic fatigue and an increasing inability to adapt to today’s fast-paced, rapidly changing society.
• Dry, withering, shriveling skin with enough wrinkles to resemble a road map.
• Diminished sex drive and, for men, erectile dysfunction (ED).
• And perhaps the most severe and unpleasant development: depression.
These symptoms may be due to aging.
However, there may be another reason for the appearance of these quality-of-life destroyers:
Hypogonadism (Low testosterone levels, or “Low-T”)
If you’re a man experiencing a diminished sex drive and plummeting energy, you might attribute these conditions to aging. But if you are suffering from many signs of aging, especially depression, the problem could be hypogonadism (low testosterone).
To determine if your condition is depression or low testosterone requires examination from a medical professional. Urologist Lawrence Hakim, MD, describes the link between low testosterone and mood and how these conditions may be tied together.
Androgens, like testosterone, are the hormones that give people their “male” and “female” characteristics. They also play a crucial role in puberty, the development of your sexual reproductive system, and your ability to reproduce.
The Endocrine system controls hormones through a network of glands and organs throughout the body. Hormones are secreted by the glands and travel by the bloodstream to the organs to control their functions.
Here is the key takeaway: the hormone system is in a delicate balance; if that balance is altered, a cascade of physical, mental, and emotional problems are unleashed. How impactful these changes depend on the unbalanced hormone, but other hormones may also be affected.
Beginning at age 30, testosterone levels drop at around 10% per decade. Testosterone levels can also crash due to injury, illness, lack of sleep, stress, working out too intense or not at all, and your food intake.
If your testosterone levels are elevated, you may experience outbursts of anger and excessive bursts of energy. In contrast, Low-T can cause ebbing energy, constant fatigue, apathy, and depression.
“People with hypogonadism, or low testosterone, will often say they have no energy, no desire for sexual activity, and noticed a decrease in muscle mass,” says Dr. Hakim.
“In fact, hypogonadism is often associated with increased fat mass and reduced muscle mass, which can lead to obesity and other health risks, including cardiovascular disease. Those are all common signs and symptoms that may be associated with low testosterone.”
Signs and symptoms of low testosterone and depression
Low testosterone and depression share a lot of the same symptoms, including:
• Chronic Fatigue
• Lack of interest in sex
• Easy to anger
• Lack of motivation.
• Social withdrawal and isolation.
• Unable to concentrate
• Insomnia, poor sleep quality, and trouble staying asleep.
“When we say people are depressed, what are we describing? We’re often describing someone as having low energy and no desire to partake in activities that normally bring them pleasure — these are common things we see with low testosterone, too,” notes Dr. Hakim.
“Sometimes, people are actually misdiagnosed with clinical depression, and they might instead have low testosterone or hypogonadism. It is therefore important to rule-out a physical cause of the condition, such as hypogonadism, prior to treatment.”
Either depression or low testosterone may cause some symptoms. People who have depression might experience fatigue but may not suffer other symptoms commonly seen with low testosterone like:
• Shrinking muscles.
• Loss of strength.
• Sudden weight gain.
• Erectile dysfunction
Worse, having one of these conditions can result in a vicious cycle of problems that cause the other condition to develop or worsen.
For example, low testosterone leads to erectile dysfunction and low libido. These conditions foster social isolation, which in turn leads to more depression.
“If you come in to see your doctor with any of these symptoms, especially if you have some form of sexual dysfunction, it is important to evaluate your total and free testosterone levels since hypogonadism may be the underlying cause,” advises Dr. Hakim.
“You don’t want to ignore low testosterone. You want to address it as well as look for any other underlying diagnosis that needs to be addressed.”
Dr. Hakim added that “Many of these symptoms, especially as men get older, can be due to other factors such as stress, anxiety, pressure, work, aging, relationship issues, and even other medications. Ultimately, a multispecialty approach is important to assure the best outcomes and patient satisfaction.”
Here is where our clinic can help
Our clinic will determine your testosterone levels. If you have Low-T, we will prescribe a treatment regimen to restore your testosterone to normal levels. Our treatment therapy will be specifically designed for you and will consider your current condition, age, and lifestyle.
In addition to our hormone therapy, we will also give recommendations for nutrition, sleep, exercise, the importance of hydration, stress control, and methods of lowering your exposure to toxins.
We take a holistic approach to restoring your good health and promoting longevity.
Contact us for a FREE, no-obligation discussion concerning the incredible benefits of Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT)!
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Five Myths About Vasectomies - July 12th, 2022
- Treat Low T Symptoms w/ Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 24th, 2021
- Testim 1% Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Auxilium To Promote Testosterone Gel Testim 1% With Glaxo For Hypogonadism - May 20th, 2021
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Can Improve Quality of Life for HIV-Infected Men - March 22nd, 2021
- The Dangerous Hyperbole Surrounding Testosterone Replacement Therapy - March 8th, 2021
- Can men have hot flashes? - March 7th, 2021
- Low Semen Count Success Stories; What Makes Seminal Fluid: How to Increase Semen Volume and Count - February 8th, 2021
- Aging Gracefully With Testosterone Injections - January 28th, 2021
- Behavioral and Health Changes Decrease Levels of Testosterone - January 5th, 2021
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Might Be Legal, but It's Still Cheating in Professional Sports - November 15th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement - Video - October 26th, 2020
- Ensuring The Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men - October 18th, 2020
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 10th, 2020
- The History, Myths and Misconceptions of Testosterone - May 13th, 2020
- Is Testosterone Good or Bad for Your Heart? Or is Estradiol the Real Culprit? - May 7th, 2020
- Book - What You Need to Know About Low Testosterone - February 8th, 2020
- Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy | The Medical ... - June 29th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Resources - Fabulously ... - June 15th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - cpt.sagepub.com - May 14th, 2016
- Prostate cancer: Testosterone therapy 'does not increase aggressive ... - May 11th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Low Testosterone | Low T - April 28th, 2016
- Low Testosterone, Low T, E.D. | Andrologix.com - April 21st, 2016
- Low Testosterone Treatments - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - April 21st, 2016
- Testosterone Therapy Side Effects - DrugWatch - April 10th, 2016
- Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - April 10th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Myths and Facts - April 5th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Bottar Leone, PLLC - February 8th, 2016
- Heart Attack Risk from Testosterone Replacement Therapy - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Torrance, CA - November 2nd, 2015
- Male Hormone Replacement | Low Testosterone Treatment - August 19th, 2015
- Hormone & Testosterone Replacement Therapy - August 15th, 2015
- Greater Than 40 Fitness Testosterone Replacement Therapy Update - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Testosterone therapy: Potential benefits and risks as you ... - April 13th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Risk Myths - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Does Testosterone Replacement Therapy Increase the Risk of Prostate Cancer? - Video - April 11th, 2015
- ALC - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 11th, 2015
- TRT - 6 Week Update / Beware Arimidex! (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - April 9th, 2015
- TRT - 1 Month Bloodwork Results / Protocol Adjustment (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Dr. G - Video - March 19th, 2015
- Living Well: Testosterone therapy good idea or not? - March 14th, 2015
- New studies fail to find cardiovascular risk with testosterone therapy - March 10th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men | AAG Health Gains - March 9th, 2015
- AM I HIDING SOMETHING? Where's My Blood work? | TRT Update - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Andropause and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - March 5th, 2015
- The LIFE*MOD Podcast With Dr. Gonzalez - Testosterone Replacement Therapy Part 1 - Video - February 12th, 2015
- Is testosterone replacement therapy safe? Take a look at ... - February 7th, 2015
- Introduction to Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Video - February 1st, 2015
- what is testosterone replacement therapy | Find what is testosterone replacement therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- From Wellness and Prevention to Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testicular cancer - Testosterone replacement therapy - yourprivates.org.uk - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy testimonial - Dr. Retzler Portland Oregon - Video - December 25th, 2014
- Dr. Allens Device Boost Mens Wellbeing by Treating Enlarged Prostate & Chronic Prostatitis, While Testosterone ... - December 10th, 2014
- Carey Danis & Lowe Weighs in on Testosterone Gel Safety - November 26th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Danger & Play - November 7th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Women | eHow - November 4th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy For Young Men - Thumotic - October 30th, 2014
- Lipocine Announces Positive Top-line Results From Phase 2a Study Of LPCN 1111 - October 13th, 2014
- Cleveland Clinic: Testosterone Replacement Therapy - October 1st, 2014
- Strict Limitations May Be Coming for Low Testosterone Treatment - October 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Update - New Test Results - Video - September 28th, 2014
- It's Time To Cross The T's... - September 19th, 2014
- Endocrine Society Tells FDA Testosterone Therapy Should Only Be for Men with Hypogonadism - September 18th, 2014
- Warning over risks associated with testosterone replacement therapy - August 15th, 2014
- Is testosterone replacement therapy right for you? | Fox News - August 7th, 2014
- Do you need low T therapy? - August 7th, 2014
- Testosterone replacement therapy |Mens Medical New York PC ... - July 9th, 2014
- Low sex drive - or erectile dysfunction? - June 25th, 2014
- 1513 Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men - Video - June 13th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Could Come With Serious Side Effects - Video - May 11th, 2014
- Are Low-T Drugs Putting Patients At High Risk? - May 10th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Experts Urge Caution When Using Popular Hormone Replacement Therapy - May 10th, 2014
- Viewer Mail - Testosterone Replacement Therapy/TRT Not Natty, Balls Busted, etc. - Video - May 4th, 2014
- NJ-Based Law Firm Exploring Potential Legal Claims from Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Men - myVMC - April 30th, 2014
- Acrux falls 15% on sales warning - April 28th, 2014
- Low Testosterone Claims: Options in a Growing Class Action Suit - Video - April 26th, 2014
- Reclaim Your Energy and Sex Drive | Testosterone ... - April 14th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 12th, 2014
- FGSW - Weekly Weigh In & Update 15: Still Working On Mobility 03.31.14 - Video - April 7th, 2014
- FGSW Weekly Weigh In & Update 15 Still Working On Mobility 03 31 14 - Video - April 5th, 2014
Word Count: 952