A study testing the effect of testosterone has found that it dramatically lowers cooperation between individuals, making people more egocentric.
In this study, people performed their task more poorly under the influence of testosterone.
It didn't affect their performance, but the lack of cooperation it caused resulted in partners making the wrong choice more frequently than they did when not under the influence of testosterone. Oh, and by the way, all the subjects were women.
Self-centered, unwilling to listen, and overly sure of yourself. This is your life on testosterone, even if you are female.
The study was of 17 pairs of women who had never met before. Each pair participated in two sessions held three to seven days apart.
In one session, both women were given an oral testosterone supplement (80 mg of testosterone undecanoate) six to seven hours before the session. For the other session, neither woman received testosterone.
Each session consisted of 192 trials. In each test, the women sat at separate computer screens and were shown the same two sets of images. Each set contained six pictures of a grating.
In one set, one image was sharper (higher contrast) than all the others. The women had to decide which set of images contained the sharper image.
If they disagreed, they were asked to collaborate and discuss their decision with their partner. One partner was randomly selected as the ultimate decision-maker in each trial.
The clarity of the sharper image was modified in each trial. In some experiments, the difference was noticeable. In others, it wasn't and took high visual sensitivity to pick out.
In trials where the participants disagreed, collaboration allowed them to perform better, picking the right image set more often than each woman did individually.
But under the influence of testosterone, the benefits of collaboration were significantly reduced.
The decision maker was much more inclined to go with her selection than her partner's, an inclination which led to more incorrect picks than occurred without testosterone.
Testosterone didn't affect each woman's visual sensitivity and ability to pick the right image, but it did reduce their ability to cooperate, to accept that their partner was right and that they were wrong. And in this task, that led to more errors.
The best real-life decisions often require a proper balance between individual judgment and group consensus.
Cooperation has many benefits, but it isn't always the best approach: committees can take months or years to decide that an individual could make in minutes. Sometimes individual initiative is the way to go.
- Too much testosterone makes for bad decisions, tests show - Testosterone Prescription - May 10th, 2021
- With testosterone, it's 'my way or the highway': UK study - Testosterone Prescription - May 9th, 2021
- Testosterone therapy — good idea or not? - Testosterone Prescription - May 5th, 2021
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women- Testosterone Prescription - May 3rd, 2021
- Environment trumps genes in testosterone levels, study finds - Testosterone Prescription - May 2nd, 2021
- Men with higher testosterone tend to lie less, study suggests - April 30th, 2021
- Increase in testosterone drug use - Testosterone Prescription - April 29th, 2021
- The top ten testosterone booster supplements: A review - April 27th, 2021
- Testosterone replacement therapy improves symptoms of metabolic syndrome - Testosterone Prescription - April 24th, 2021
- Who Would Have Thought? The Moon’s Cycles Affect Men’s Hormones Too! - April 23rd, 2021
- Testosterone Therapy Could Lower Diabetes Risk for Men – The Science is Promising! - February 19th, 2021
- Acidosis: The Hidden Health Destroyer - January 20th, 2021
- Testosterone Linked to Heart Disease -- Testosterone Prescription - November 18th, 2020
- Testosterone Drives Ego, Reduces Cooperation — Testosterone Prescription - November 2nd, 2020
- Hypogonadism and Testosterone - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - June 14th, 2020
- Low-T: Men With Low Testosterone Found More Likely to Die From COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - June 12th, 2020
- A Disturbing Trend: Testosterone Levels Falling Even Lower in Adolescent Males - May 31st, 2020
- Testosterone, Viagra not a winning combination for erectile dysfunction - Testosterone Prescription - April 30th, 2020
- Testosterone Reduces Group Think, Cooperation, and Less Sheep-Like Mentality - April 25th, 2020
- Five Myths About Low Testosterone And Testosterone Therapy — Testosterone Prescription - April 8th, 2020
- A Great Way to Boost Your Testosterone? Get Married! - April 1st, 2020
- Co-Sleeping with Baby Drops Men’s Testosterone Levels - March 21st, 2020
- Low Testosterone Levels Cause Health Woes -- Testosterone Prescription - March 11th, 2020
- Question: What Makes Men Sexy to Women? Answer: Low Stress, High Testosterone, Strong Immunity - Testosterone Therapy - February 29th, 2020
Word Count: 438