Testosterone is the hormone responsible for deep voices, muscle mass, and facial and body hair patterns found in males. As men get older, the level of testosterone in the body and production of sperm gradually becomes lower, and they experience physical and psychological symptoms as a result of these low levels. This is part of the natural aging process, and it is estimated that testosterone decreases about 10% every decade after men reach the age of 30.
Andropause is a condition that is associated with the decrease in the male hormone testosterone. It is unlike menopause in that the reduction of testosterone and the development of symptoms is more gradual than what occurs in women. Approximately 30% of men in their 50s will experience symptoms of andropause caused by low testosterone levels. A person experiencing andropause may have some symptoms related to the condition and could be at risk of other severe health conditions such as osteoporosis without proper treatment.
Low Testosterone Treatment Options
Compare the treatment options for low testosterone so you can find one that is best for you.
The decrease in testosterone is an essential factor in men suspected of having andropause. However, as men age, not only does the body start making less testosterone, but also the levels of another hormone called sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), which pulls usable testosterone from the blood, begins to increase. SHBG binds some of the available testosterone circulating in the blood. The testosterone that is not linked to the SHBG hormone is called bioavailable testosterone, meaning it is available for use by the body.
Men who experience symptoms associated with andropause have lowered amounts of bioavailable testosterone in their blood. Therefore, tissues in the body that are stimulated by testosterone receive a lower amount of it, which may cause various physical and possibly mental changes in a person such as mood swings or fatigue.
Talk to your doctor
Tips for getting the conversation started, so you can start feeling like yourself again.
Although symptoms may vary from person to person, common symptoms of men going through andropause include:
Complications associated with andropause include an increased risk of cardiovascular problems and osteoporosis (brittle bones).
Do you have low testosterone?
You may think your symptoms are a natural part of aging. Could low testosterone be to blame?
A doctor will ask questions about how you are feeling to see if your symptoms match those of people with low testosterone. Then, a blood test is performed to check the level of testosterone in the blood.
Because other conditions are associated with low testosterone levels (e.g., hypogonadism, which causes retardation of sexual growth and development; diabetes; high blood pressure), your doctor will likely do tests to rule out these possibilities before making a diagnosis of andropause.
It is important to note that many of the symptoms associated with andropause are also a regular part of aging, and they may not be reversible with treatment.
Replacing testosterone in the blood is the most common treatment for men going through andropause. This treatment may provide relief from the symptoms and help improve the quality of life in many cases. Lifestyle changes such as increased exercise, stress reduction, and proper nutrition also help. Your doctor will help you decide if testosterone treatment is right in your situation, as the treatment does have risks.
Testosterone is available in a variety of different preparations including skin patches, capsules, gels, and injections. Your doctor will help determine which treatment is best for you and will often consider your lifestyle when making this decision. Follow-up visits with your doctor will be necessary after the initial treatment begins. At follow-up visits, your doctor will check your response to the treatment and make adjustments, if necessary.
Skin patches: People who wear a patch containing testosterone receive the hormone through the skin. The patch allows a slow, steady release of testosterone into the bloodstream. It is applied once a day to a dry area of skin on the back, abdomen, upper arms, or thighs.
Testosterone gel: This treatment is also applied directly to the skin, usually on the arms. Because the gel may transfer to other individuals through skin contact, a person must take care to wash the gel from the hands after each application.
Capsules: Taken twice daily after meals, this is yet another option for testosterone replacement. Men with liver disease, poor liver function, severe heart or kidney disease, or too much calcium in their blood should avoid testosterone capsules.
Testosterone injections: This treatment involves injections of testosterone (testosterone cypionate* and testosterone enanthate) in the muscle every 2 to 4 weeks. They may cause mood swings due to changes in testosterone levels. Men with severe heart disease, severe kidney disease, or too much calcium in their blood should avoid testosterone cypionate. Men with severe kidney disease should not take testosterone enanthate.
Testosterone should not be taken by any man with prostate or breast cancer. If you have heart disease, are taking some medications such as blood thinners, have an enlarged prostate, or have kidney or liver disease, you will need to discuss with your doctor whether or not testosterone therapy is right for you.
*All medications have both common (generic) and brand names. The brand name is what a specific manufacturer calls the product (e.g., Tylenol). The common name is the medical name for the medication (e.g., acetaminophen). A prescription may have many brand names, but only one common name. This article lists medications by their common names. For information on a given medicine, check our Drug Information database. For more information on brand names, speak with your doctor or pharmacist.
Contact Us Now
- Five Ways to Manage Cholesterol Without Medication - May 18th, 2020
- Clomiphene Citrate for Testosterone Deficiency - April 22nd, 2019
- Low-T Therapy for Andropause — Treating Male Menopause - April 22nd, 2019
- Andropause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - April 18th, 2019
- Got Andropause? Male Renewal With Androgen Testosterone Treatment for Men - March 23rd, 2019
- Natesto Testosterone Nasal Gel Therapy on the Horizon - September 5th, 2018
- Six Surprising Low-T Signs - August 2nd, 2018
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 1st, 2018
- What is Andropause - July 25th, 2018
- Hypogonadism Guide - July 25th, 2018
- What is Andropause? - Renew Youth - August 14th, 2016
- Male menopause - NHS Choices - July 4th, 2016
- Male menopause: Myth or reality? - Mayo Clinic - July 4th, 2016
- Andropause Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes ... - June 9th, 2016
- About Andropause - Masters Men's Clinic - May 14th, 2016
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health Products & Information - May 14th, 2016
- Andropause (Male Menopause) - ZRT Laboratory - April 21st, 2016
- Andropause Symptoms - Male Menopause Symptoms - BodyLogicMD - Home Page - April 21st, 2016
- Andropause/Male Menopause - Symptoms and Diagnosis - April 21st, 2016
- Andropause - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis ... - April 6th, 2016
- Andropause: Physical and Mental Symptoms and Treatment - April 5th, 2016
- Andropause Treatment| Symptoms | Peptides Australia - April 4th, 2016
- Andropause or male menopause | Manna Health - April 4th, 2016
- Andropause Treatment Program Renew Man - September 18th, 2015
- Andropause: When Guys Get 'The Change' | Lisa Turner - September 7th, 2015
- Low T/Andropause - Maze Men's Sexual & Reproductive Health - August 3rd, 2015
- Symptoms Of Andropause (Male Menopause) Renew Man - July 13th, 2015
- Andropause / Male Menopause - Treatment - Medindia - July 13th, 2015
- Andropause (Male Menopause) Treatments - May 11th, 2015
- "TongKat Ali - Great for Andropause" - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Andropause Meaning - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Andropause - Male menopause - Symptoms - Causes ... - April 4th, 2015
- Menopause Dr Dewi Gaduh and Andropause Dr Ridwan T CD 2 - Video - March 26th, 2015
- Menopause Dr Dewi Gaduh and Andropause Dr Ridwan T - Video - March 26th, 2015
- The Male Menopause: Andropause - Nicole Ortiz, ND - Video - March 25th, 2015
- How Hucksters Are Profiting Off of Testosterone and Growth Hormone - March 25th, 2015
- The 10-point guide to the integral management of menopausal health - March 17th, 2015
- Andropause "Low T": #1: High Blood Sugar - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Menopause/Andropause List - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Andropause - Low Testosterone :: Department of Urology - February 23rd, 2015
- Live life! Avoid fatigue - hormonal imbalances - February 21st, 2015
- 3 out of 10 S.Korean men over 40 suffer andropause symptoms / YTN - Video - February 12th, 2015
- Tips to ease fatigue - January 22nd, 2015
- Andropause and Prostate Enlargement #15 - Video - January 11th, 2015
- Andropause | Health | Embarrassing | Channel4.com/bodies - December 29th, 2014
- Aging changes in the male reproductive system: MedlinePlus ... - December 19th, 2014
- EMAS promotes the study of midlife health through its journal - December 2nd, 2014
- My Journey In And Out Of Andropause! - November 19th, 2014
- GENERATION RX PLUS- ANDROPAUSE- ASK THE EXPERTS - Video - November 13th, 2014
- What are hormones and how do they affect me? - November 12th, 2014
- Andropause Depression Symptoms What Are Andropause Depression Symptoms - Video - November 10th, 2014
- Andropause, Late Onset Hypogonadism (LOH), male menopause ... - November 4th, 2014
- Osteopathy and andropause - Video - October 31st, 2014
- MEN HEALTH PROBLEMS - blogspot.com - October 30th, 2014
- Menopause | Andropause Workshop Preview - Video - October 30th, 2014
- Andropause: Dealing With Male Menopause - blogspot.com - October 28th, 2014
- What is Male Menopause - Healthline - October 28th, 2014
- Male Menopause: Get Facts about Symptoms and Treatments - October 28th, 2014
- The Male Andropause - Schachter Center for Complementary ... - October 28th, 2014
- Health Column: Anti-aging strategies - October 23rd, 2014
- Herbs For Andropause - Video - October 21st, 2014
- Dr. Farnesi explains that men also go through Menopause. Its called Andropause. - Video - October 18th, 2014
- Healthy Trinbago - Andropause - Video - October 3rd, 2014
- Find Out What Makes Sex Amazing Instead of So-So in this New Book by Sexual Medicine Scientist, Dr. E - October 3rd, 2014
- Hormone fluctuation affects men, too - October 1st, 2014
- Tired? Not interested in sex? Mister, you might be in andropause - September 18th, 2014
- Elsevier journal Maturitas publishes position statement on breast cancer screening - September 17th, 2014
- Dr. Reese explains that men also go through Menopause. Its called Andropause. - Video - September 13th, 2014
- Study Questions Longtime Treatment for Prostate Cancer - September 12th, 2014
- Menopause in Men (a.k.a. Andropause) - Fact or Fiction - Video - September 6th, 2014
- Menopause For Men - Check Out wwwAndropauseGuide dot com To Eliminate Andropause - Video - August 31st, 2014
- What are the symptoms of andropause? - Video - August 31st, 2014
- Andropause and Depression - Video - August 30th, 2014
- Symptoms of Male Menopause - Check Out wwwAndropauseGuide dot com To Treat Andropause - Video - August 28th, 2014
- Male Hot Flashes - Check Out wwwAndropauseGuide dot com To Solve Andropause - Video - August 23rd, 2014
- Daytime Dr Miller Menopause v Andropause MP4 version - Video - July 28th, 2014
- New Case Study Highlights Effectiveness of Testosterone Therapy in Fighting Weight Gain and Fatigue - July 26th, 2014
- Andropause, Menopause, and Sexuality As We Age: Art of Aging 102 - Video - July 9th, 2014
- Dr Naina About Andropause - Video - June 28th, 2014
- LBC Sat with Vanessa Menopause & Andropause - Video - June 26th, 2014
Word Count: 947