Testosterone is the hormone responsible for deep voices, muscle mass, and facial and body hair patterns found in males. As men get older, the level of testosterone in the body and production of sperm gradually becomes lower, and they experience physical and psychological symptoms as a result of these low levels. This is part of the natural aging process and it is estimated that testosterone decreases about 10% every decade after men reach the age of 30.
Andropause is a condition that is associated with the decrease in the male hormone testosterone. It is unlike menopause in that the decrease in testosterone and the development of symptoms is more gradual than what occurs in women. Approximately 30% of men in their 50s will experience symptoms of andropause caused by low testosterone levels. A person experiencing andropause may have a number of symptoms related to the condition and could be at risk of other serious health conditions such as osteoporosis without proper treatment.
Low Testosterone Treatment Options
Compare the treatment options for low testosterone so you can find one that is best for you.
The decrease in testosterone is an important factor in men suspected of having andropause. However, as men age, not only does the body start making less testosterone, but also the levels of another hormone called sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), which pulls usable testosterone from the blood, begins to increase. SHBG binds some of the available testosterone circulating in the blood. The testosterone that is not bound to the SHBG hormone is called bioavailable testosterone, meaning it is available for use by the body.
Men who experience symptoms associated with andropause have lowered amounts of bioavailable testosterone in their blood. Therefore, tissues in the body that are stimulated by testosterone receive a lower amount of it, which may cause various physical and possibly mental changes in a person such as mood swings or fatigue.
Talk to your doctor
Tips for getting the conversation started so you can start feeling like yourself again.
Although symptoms may vary from person to person, common symptoms of men going through andropause include:
Complications associated with andropause include an increased risk of cardiovascular problems and osteoporosis (brittle bones).
Do you have low testosterone?
You may think your symptoms are a natural part of aging. Could low testosterone be to blame?
A doctor will ask questions about how you are feeling to see if your symptoms match those of people with low testosterone. Then, a blood test is performed to check the level of testosterone in the blood.
Because there are other conditions that are associated with low testosterone levels (e.g., hypogonadism, which causes retardation of sexual growth and development; diabetes; high blood pressure), your doctor will likely do tests to rule out these possibilities before making a diagnosis of andropause.
It is important to note that many of the symptoms associated with andropause are also a normal part of aging, and they may not be reversible with treatment.
Replacing testosterone in the blood is the most common treatment for men going through andropause. This treatment may provide relief from the symptoms and help improve the quality of life in many cases. Lifestyle changes such as increased exercise, stress reduction, and good nutrition also help. Your doctor will help you decide if testosterone treatment is right in your situation, as treatment does have risks.
Testosterone is available in a variety of different preparations including skin patches, capsules, gels, and injections. Your doctor will help determine which treatment is best for you and will often consider your lifestyle when making this decision. Follow-up visits with your doctor will be important after the initial treatment begins. At follow-up visits, your doctor will check your response to the treatment and make adjustments, if necessary.
Skin patches: People who wear a patch containing testosterone receive the hormone through the skin. The patch allows a slow, steady release of testosterone into the blood stream. It is applied once a day to a dry area of skin on the back, abdomen, upper arms, or thighs.
Testosterone gel:This treatment is also applied directly to the skin, usually on the arms. Because the gel may transfer to other individuals through skin contact, a person must take care to wash the gel from the hands after each application.
Capsules:Taken twice daily after meals, this is yet another option for testosterone replacement. Men with liver disease, poor liver function, serious heart or kidney disease, or too much calcium in their blood should avoid testosterone capsules.
Testosterone injections:This treatment involves injections of testosterone (testosterone cypionate* and testosterone enanthate) in the muscle every 2 to 4 weeks. They may cause mood swings due to changes in testosterone levels. Men with severe heart disease, severe kidney disease, or too much calcium in their blood should avoid testosterone cypionate. Men with severe kidney disease should not take testosterone enanthate.
Testosterone should not be taken by any man with prostate or breast cancer. If you have heart disease, are taking some medications such as blood thinners, have an enlarged prostate, or have kidney or liver disease, you will need to discuss with your doctor whether or not testosterone therapy is right for you.
*All medications have both common (generic) and brand names. The brand name is what a specific manufacturer calls the product (e.g., Tylenol). The common name is the medical name for the medication (e.g., acetaminophen). A medication may have many brand names, but only one common name. This article lists medications by their common names. For information on a given medication, check our Drug Information database. For more information on brand names, speak with your doctor or pharmacist.
Read the original here:
Andropause - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis ...
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Five Things That, Surprisingly, Lower Your Testosterone Levels - January 3rd, 2023 [April 5th, 2022]
- 3 out of 10 (three out of ten) South Korean men over 40 suffer andropause symptoms / YTN - Video - March 19th, 2022 [February 12th, 2022]
- How Can Low Testosterone Affect Male Fertility? - January 6th, 2023 [July 28th, 2021]
- Male Menopause - Andropause Information - November 29th, 2021 [May 30th, 2021]
- Got Andropause? Male Renewal With Androgen Testosterone Treatment for Men - December 31st, 2022 [May 11th, 2021]
- Andropause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - March 15th, 2021 [March 15th, 2021]
- Clomiphene Citrate for Testosterone Deficiency - November 14th, 2021 [January 13th, 2021]
- Low-T Therapy for Andropause — Treating Male Menopause - November 11th, 2021 [January 12th, 2021]
- Study Questions Longtime Treatment for Prostate Cancer - November 2nd, 2021 [November 10th, 2020]
- Hypogonadism Guide - October 16th, 2021 [August 16th, 2020]
- What is Andropause - November 7th, 2021 [August 15th, 2020]
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - November 14th, 2021 [August 10th, 2020]
- Six Surprising Low-T Signs - November 23rd, 2021 [August 8th, 2020]
- Natesto Testosterone Nasal Gel Therapy on the Horizon - November 20th, 2021 [July 2nd, 2020]
- Five Ways to Manage Cholesterol Without Medication - November 20th, 2021 [May 18th, 2020]
- What is Andropause? - Renew Youth - November 5th, 2020 [August 14th, 2016]
- Andropause - November 29th, 2020 [July 21st, 2016]
- Male menopause - NHS Choices - October 13th, 2020 [July 4th, 2016]
- Male menopause: Myth or reality? - Mayo Clinic - December 6th, 2017 [July 4th, 2016]
- Andropause Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes ... - June 9th, 2016 [June 9th, 2016]
- About Andropause - Masters Men's Clinic - November 11th, 2020 [May 14th, 2016]
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health Products & Information - October 28th, 2020 [May 14th, 2016]
- Andropause (Male Menopause) - ZRT Laboratory - November 5th, 2020 [April 21st, 2016]
- Andropause Symptoms - Male Menopause Symptoms - BodyLogicMD - Home Page - December 9th, 2017 [April 21st, 2016]
- Andropause/Male Menopause - Symptoms and Diagnosis - December 28th, 2017 [April 21st, 2016]
- Andropause: Physical and Mental Symptoms and Treatment - November 21st, 2020 [April 5th, 2016]
- Andropause Treatment| Symptoms | Peptides Australia - October 14th, 2020 [April 4th, 2016]
- Andropause or male menopause | Manna Health - October 9th, 2020 [April 4th, 2016]
- Andropause Treatment Program Renew Man - December 26th, 2017 [September 18th, 2015]
- Andropause: When Guys Get 'The Change' | Lisa Turner - December 4th, 2017 [September 7th, 2015]
- Low T/Andropause - Maze Men's Sexual & Reproductive Health - November 17th, 2020 [August 3rd, 2015]
- Symptoms Of Andropause (Male Menopause) Renew Man - November 12th, 2020 [July 13th, 2015]
- Andropause / Male Menopause - Treatment - Medindia - March 20th, 2016 [July 13th, 2015]
- Andropause (Male Menopause) Treatments - December 23rd, 2017 [May 11th, 2015]
- "TongKat Ali - Great for Andropause" - Video - October 27th, 2020 [May 4th, 2015]
- Andropause Meaning - Video - November 3rd, 2020 [April 21st, 2015]
- Andropause - Male menopause - Symptoms - Causes ... - November 8th, 2020 [April 4th, 2015]
- Menopause Dr Dewi Gaduh and Andropause Dr Ridwan T CD 2 - Video - October 25th, 2020 [March 26th, 2015]
- Menopause Dr Dewi Gaduh and Andropause Dr Ridwan T - Video - November 22nd, 2020 [March 26th, 2015]
- The Male Menopause: Andropause - Nicole Ortiz, ND - Video - November 19th, 2020 [March 25th, 2015]
- How Hucksters Are Profiting Off of Testosterone and Growth Hormone - November 23rd, 2020 [March 25th, 2015]
- The 10-point guide to the integral management of menopausal health - November 1st, 2020 [March 17th, 2015]
- Andropause "Low T": #1: High Blood Sugar - Video - March 6th, 2015 [March 6th, 2015]
- Menopause/Andropause List - Video - October 10th, 2020 [March 5th, 2015]
- Andropause - Low Testosterone :: Department of Urology - October 7th, 2020 [February 23rd, 2015]
- Live life! Avoid fatigue - hormonal imbalances - December 29th, 2016 [February 21st, 2015]
- Tips to ease fatigue - October 10th, 2020 [January 22nd, 2015]
- Andropause and Prostate Enlargement #15 - Video - October 20th, 2020 [January 11th, 2015]
- Andropause | Health | Embarrassing | Channel4.com/bodies - December 22nd, 2017 [December 29th, 2014]
- Aging changes in the male reproductive system: MedlinePlus ... - November 18th, 2020 [December 19th, 2014]
- EMAS promotes the study of midlife health through its journal - December 29th, 2016 [December 2nd, 2014]
- My Journey In And Out Of Andropause! - June 4th, 2020 [November 19th, 2014]
- GENERATION RX PLUS- ANDROPAUSE- ASK THE EXPERTS - Video - November 13th, 2020 [November 13th, 2014]
- What are hormones and how do they affect me? - November 21st, 2020 [November 12th, 2014]
- Andropause, Late Onset Hypogonadism (LOH), male menopause ... - November 8th, 2020 [November 4th, 2014]
- MEN HEALTH PROBLEMS - blogspot.com - October 30th, 2020 [October 30th, 2014]
- Menopause | Andropause Workshop Preview - Video - October 30th, 2014 [October 30th, 2014]
- Andropause: Dealing With Male Menopause - blogspot.com - October 28th, 2014 [October 28th, 2014]
- What is Male Menopause - Healthline - October 26th, 2020 [October 28th, 2014]
- Male Menopause: Get Facts about Symptoms and Treatments - November 6th, 2020 [October 28th, 2014]
- The Male Andropause - Schachter Center for Complementary ... - October 28th, 2014 [October 28th, 2014]
- Health Column: Anti-aging strategies - November 4th, 2020 [October 23rd, 2014]
- Herbs For Andropause - Video - November 21st, 2020 [October 21st, 2014]
- Dr. Farnesi explains that men also go through Menopause. Its called Andropause. - Video - October 11th, 2020 [October 18th, 2014]
- Healthy Trinbago - Andropause - Video - November 13th, 2020 [October 3rd, 2014]
- Find Out What Makes Sex Amazing Instead of So-So in this New Book by Sexual Medicine Scientist, Dr. E - May 4th, 2015 [October 3rd, 2014]
- Hormone fluctuation affects men, too - October 26th, 2020 [October 1st, 2014]
- Tired? Not interested in sex? Mister, you might be in andropause - October 15th, 2020 [September 18th, 2014]
- Elsevier journal Maturitas publishes position statement on breast cancer screening - May 4th, 2015 [September 17th, 2014]
- Dr. Reese explains that men also go through Menopause. Its called Andropause. - Video - October 23rd, 2020 [September 13th, 2014]
- Menopause in Men (a.k.a. Andropause) - Fact or Fiction - Video - September 6th, 2014 [September 6th, 2014]
- What are the symptoms of andropause? - Video - October 20th, 2020 [August 31st, 2014]
- Andropause and Depression - Video - October 26th, 2020 [August 30th, 2014]
- Male Hot Flashes - Check Out wwwAndropauseGuide dot com To Solve Andropause - Video - October 4th, 2020 [August 23rd, 2014]
- Daytime Dr Miller Menopause v Andropause MP4 version - Video - November 1st, 2020 [July 28th, 2014]
- New Case Study Highlights Effectiveness of Testosterone Therapy in Fighting Weight Gain and Fatigue - May 4th, 2015 [July 26th, 2014]
- Andropause, Menopause, and Sexuality As We Age: Art of Aging 102 - Video - October 26th, 2020 [July 9th, 2014]
- Dr Naina About Andropause - Video - October 3rd, 2020 [June 28th, 2014]
- LBC Sat with Vanessa Menopause & Andropause - Video - June 26th, 2014 [June 26th, 2014]
- Did You Know? - November 4th, 2020 [June 24th, 2014]
Word Count: 961