While not as severe as the female menopause, the male version is lengthier, usually lasting 15 to 20 years. About 40% of men in their 40s, 50s and 60s experience some degree of lethargy, depression, increased irritability, mood swings, and difficulty in attaining and sustaining erections that characterize andropause.
(Article continues below...)
Concerned or curious about your health? Click below...
The concept of a male andropause has been more controversial than that of the female menopause, with many arguing that it doesn't even exist. Part of the reason for the controversy is that, in contrast to women, men do not have a clear-cut external sign, namely the cessation of menstruation.
A man often begins to experience changes in his body somewhere between the ages of 40 and 55. These bodily changes may be accompanied by changes in attitudes and moods. The aging process alone can not be responsible for this problem as well over 40% of males remain sexually active at 70 years of age and beyond.
Acute andropause in men is relatively uncommon, compared to acute menopause in women, because testicular function declines gradually in most men. There are a number of other causes, however, for acute testicular failure in adult men and these include: viral infections such as mumps, surgical removal of or surgical injury to the testes and male reproductive tract, diseases when the immune system attacks and destroys the testes such as variations of systemic lupus erythematosis, subtle genetic abnormalities which permit normal adult development but lead to premature testicular failure, generalized vascular diseases such as diabetes, chemotherapy, and pituitary tumors (rare).
The second form of this syndrome, while more common, is more insidious since it occurs gradually. It is often confused with male midlife psychological adjustment disorders because it exactly mimics depression in midlife men. Some known contributors to this condition are excessive alcohol consumption, smoking, hypertension, prescription and non-prescription medications, poor diet, lack of exercise, poor circulation, and psychological problems.
Male hormones decline gradually. Testosterone (from the testes), human growth hormone (from the pituitary), and DHEA and androstenedione (from the adrenal gland) levels all begin to drop. For many men this does not occur until their 60s or 70s but there are others where it occurs much earlier. In addition, there are proteins in the blood which bind testosterone into a biologically inactive form sex hormone binding proteins or globulins. Their levels can rise in response to many conditions including medical disorders and exposure to other hormones such as phytoestrogens (estrogens derived from plant sources such as soy) and environmental estrogen-like compounds (pesticides, hormones used in agribusiness to produce fatter animals, etc.) As an example, there is some data suggesting that men on low fat or vegetarian diets have lower testosterone levels. The overall effect of rising sex hormone binding proteins is that there is less bio-available testosterone.
Typical symptoms include:
This list sounds a little similar to women in menopause because it is the same condition. The relationship between the ovaries, estrogen, the brain, and the pituitary are the same as the relationship between the testes, testosterone, the brain, and the pituitary.
The diagnosis is simple measuring either free testosterone blood levels or computing the Free Androgen Index (FAI) which is [total testosterone x 100 / sex hormone binding globulin]. There is some controversy as to what level of total blood testosterone in men is normal with low end values ranging from 250-400ng/dl. Free testosterone in men should be well within the range of 300-1100ng/dl with the FAI between 70-100%. At a FAI of less than 50%, symptoms of andropause appear.
Risks of replacement therapy. Though often suggested, there is no evidence in the medical literature that testosterone replacement therapy increases the risk of prostate cancer. Men using synthetic testosterone supplementation should have their serum lipids carefully evaluated and rechecked periodically. Using a natural testosterone is safer than using a synthetic form, but may require the transdermal route of administration.
As a general principle, whenever any hormone is administered, the gland which normally produces it ceases to function and recovery when therapy stops can be variable. Patients with borderline low testosterone levels may be committing themselves to lifelong therapy if they start with testosterone replacement.
Benefits of replacement therapy There is no doubt that the administration of testosterone to men with true testosterone deficiency will improve their health and sense of well being. The symptoms listed above should disappear. Unfortunately impotence, or the inability to sustain and erection, does not respond well to testosterone therapy except perhaps in men with severe hormone deficiencies. This comprises approximately 8-16% of men presenting themselves to physicians with erectile disorders. There is no evidence that administering testosterone to men with borderline low testosterone levels will improve sexual functioning, although libido may be enhanced.
Here is the original post:
- Clomiphene Citrate for Testosterone Deficiency - April 22nd, 2019
- Low-T Therapy for Andropause — Treating Male Menopause - April 22nd, 2019
- Andropause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - April 18th, 2019
- Got Andropause? Male Renewal With Androgen Testosterone Treatment for Men - March 23rd, 2019
- Natesto Testosterone Nasal Gel Therapy on the Horizon - September 5th, 2018
- Five Ways to Manage Cholesterol Without Medication - August 27th, 2018
- Six Surprising Low-T Signs - August 2nd, 2018
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 1st, 2018
- What is Andropause - July 25th, 2018
- Hypogonadism Guide - July 25th, 2018
- What is Andropause? - Renew Youth - August 14th, 2016
- Andropause - July 21st, 2016
- Male menopause - NHS Choices - July 4th, 2016
- Male menopause: Myth or reality? - Mayo Clinic - July 4th, 2016
- Andropause Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes ... - June 9th, 2016
- About Andropause - Masters Men's Clinic - May 14th, 2016
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health Products & Information - May 14th, 2016
- Andropause (Male Menopause) - ZRT Laboratory - April 21st, 2016
- Andropause Symptoms - Male Menopause Symptoms - BodyLogicMD - Home Page - April 21st, 2016
- Andropause - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis ... - April 6th, 2016
- Andropause: Physical and Mental Symptoms and Treatment - April 5th, 2016
- Andropause Treatment| Symptoms | Peptides Australia - April 4th, 2016
- Andropause or male menopause | Manna Health - April 4th, 2016
- Andropause Treatment Program Renew Man - September 18th, 2015
- Andropause: When Guys Get 'The Change' | Lisa Turner - September 7th, 2015
- Low T/Andropause - Maze Men's Sexual & Reproductive Health - August 3rd, 2015
- Symptoms Of Andropause (Male Menopause) Renew Man - July 13th, 2015
- Andropause / Male Menopause - Treatment - Medindia - July 13th, 2015
- Andropause (Male Menopause) Treatments - May 11th, 2015
- "TongKat Ali - Great for Andropause" - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Andropause Meaning - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Andropause - Male menopause - Symptoms - Causes ... - April 4th, 2015
- Menopause Dr Dewi Gaduh and Andropause Dr Ridwan T CD 2 - Video - March 26th, 2015
- Menopause Dr Dewi Gaduh and Andropause Dr Ridwan T - Video - March 26th, 2015
- The Male Menopause: Andropause - Nicole Ortiz, ND - Video - March 25th, 2015
- How Hucksters Are Profiting Off of Testosterone and Growth Hormone - March 25th, 2015
- The 10-point guide to the integral management of menopausal health - March 17th, 2015
- Andropause "Low T": #1: High Blood Sugar - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Menopause/Andropause List - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Andropause - Low Testosterone :: Department of Urology - February 23rd, 2015
- Live life! Avoid fatigue - hormonal imbalances - February 21st, 2015
- 3 out of 10 S.Korean men over 40 suffer andropause symptoms / YTN - Video - February 12th, 2015
- Tips to ease fatigue - January 22nd, 2015
- Andropause and Prostate Enlargement #15 - Video - January 11th, 2015
- Andropause | Health | Embarrassing | Channel4.com/bodies - December 29th, 2014
- Aging changes in the male reproductive system: MedlinePlus ... - December 19th, 2014
- EMAS promotes the study of midlife health through its journal - December 2nd, 2014
- Managing Menopausal Symptoms - Breastcancer.org - December 2nd, 2014
- Bodybuilding.com - My Journey In And Out Of Andropause! - November 19th, 2014
- GENERATION RX PLUS- ANDROPAUSE- ASK THE EXPERTS - Video - November 13th, 2014
- What are hormones and how do they affect me? - November 12th, 2014
- Andropause Depression Symptoms What Are Andropause Depression Symptoms - Video - November 10th, 2014
- Andropause, Late Onset Hypogonadism (LOH), male menopause ... - November 4th, 2014
- Osteopathy and andropause - Video - October 31st, 2014
- MEN HEALTH PROBLEMS - blogspot.com - October 30th, 2014
- Menopause | Andropause Workshop Preview - Video - October 30th, 2014
- Andropause: Dealing With Male Menopause - blogspot.com - October 28th, 2014
- What is Male Menopause - Healthline - October 28th, 2014
- Male Menopause: Get Facts about Symptoms and Treatments - October 28th, 2014
- The Male Andropause - Schachter Center for Complementary ... - October 28th, 2014
- Health Column: Anti-aging strategies - October 23rd, 2014
- Herbs For Andropause - Video - October 21st, 2014
- Dr. Farnesi explains that men also go through Menopause. Its called Andropause. - Video - October 18th, 2014
- Healthy Trinbago - Andropause - Video - October 3rd, 2014
- Find Out What Makes Sex Amazing Instead of So-So in this New Book by Sexual Medicine Scientist, Dr. E - October 3rd, 2014
- Hormone fluctuation affects men, too - October 1st, 2014
- Do you have male menopause? - September 23rd, 2014
- Tired? Not interested in sex? Mister, you might be in andropause - September 18th, 2014
- Elsevier journal Maturitas publishes position statement on breast cancer screening - September 17th, 2014
- Dr. Reese explains that men also go through Menopause. Its called Andropause. - Video - September 13th, 2014
- Study Questions Longtime Treatment for Prostate Cancer - September 12th, 2014
- Menopause in Men (a.k.a. Andropause) - Fact or Fiction - Video - September 6th, 2014
- Menopause For Men - Check Out wwwAndropauseGuide dot com To Eliminate Andropause - Video - August 31st, 2014
- What are the symptoms of andropause? - Video - August 31st, 2014
- Andropause and Depression - Video - August 30th, 2014
- Symptoms of Male Menopause - Check Out wwwAndropauseGuide dot com To Treat Andropause - Video - August 28th, 2014
- Male Hot Flashes - Check Out wwwAndropauseGuide dot com To Solve Andropause - Video - August 23rd, 2014
- Daytime Dr Miller Menopause v Andropause MP4 version - Video - July 28th, 2014
- New Case Study Highlights Effectiveness of Testosterone Therapy in Fighting Weight Gain and Fatigue - July 26th, 2014
- Andropause, Menopause, and Sexuality As We Age: Art of Aging 102 - Video - July 9th, 2014
Contact Us Now
How useful was this post?
Click on a smiley face to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
Word Count: 802