Testim 1% (testosterone gel) delivers physiologic amounts of testosterone, producing circulating testosterone levels that approximate normal levels (e.g., 300 1000 ng/dL) seen in healthy men.
Testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT), endogenous androgens, are responsible for normal growth and development of the male sex organs and for maintenance of secondary sex characteristics. These effects include the growth and maturation of the prostate, seminal vesicles, penis, and scrotum; the development of male hair distribution, such as facial, pubic, chest, and axillary hair; laryngeal enlargement; vocal cord thickening; alterations in body musculature; and fat distribution.
Male hypogonadism results from insufficient secretion of testosterone and is characterized by low serum testosterone concentrations. Symptoms associated with male hypogonadism include decreased sexual desire with or without impotence, fatigue and loss of energy, mood depression, regression of secondary sexual characteristics, and osteoporosis. Hypogonadism is a risk factor for osteoporosis in men.
Drugs in the androgen class also promote retention of nitrogen, sodium, potassium, phosphorus, and decreased urinary excretion of calcium.
Androgens have been reported to increase protein anabolism and decrease protein catabolism. Nitrogen balance is improved only when there is sufficient intake of calories and protein. Androgens have been reported to stimulate the production of red blood cells by enhancing erythropoietin production.
Androgens are responsible for the growth spurt of adolescence and for the eventual termination of linear growth brought about by fusion of the epiphyseal growth centers. In children, exogenous androgens accelerate linear growth rates but may cause a disproportionate advancement in bone maturation. Use over long periods may result in fusion of the epiphyseal growth centers and termination of the growth process.
During exogenous administration of androgens, endogenous testosterone release may be inhibited through feedback inhibition of pituitary luteinizing hormone (LH). At large doses of exogenous androgens, spermatogenesis may also be suppressed through feedback inhibition of pituitary follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH).
There is a lack of substantial evidence that androgens are effective in accelerating fracture healing or in shortening post-surgical convalescence.
The pharmacokinetics of Testim have been evaluated with administration of doses containing 50 mg and 100 mg of testosterone to adult males with morning testosterone levels 300 ng/dL.
Absorption Testim is a topical formulation that dries quickly when applied to the skin surface. The skin serves as a reservoir for the sustained release of testosterone into the systemic circulation. Approximately 10% of the testosterone applied on the skin surface is absorbed into the systemic circulation during a 24-hour period.
Single Dose In single dose studies, when either Testim 50 mg or 100 mg was administered, absorption of testosterone into the blood continued for the entire 24 hour dosing period. Also, mean peak and average serum concentrations within the normal range were achieved within 24 hours.
Multiple Dose With single daily applications of Testim 50 mg and 100 mg, follow-up measurements at 30 and 90 days after starting treatment have confirmed that serum testosterone and DHT concentrations are generally maintained within the normal range.
Figure 1 summarizes the 24-hour pharmacokinetic profile of testosterone for patients maintained on Testim 50 mg or Testim 100 mg for 30 days.
Figure 1 Mean Steady-State Serum Testosterone (SD) (ng/dL) Concentrations on Day 30 in Patients Applying Testim Once Daily
The average daily testosterone concentration produced by Testim 100 mg at Day 30 was 612 ( 286) ng/dL and by Testim 50 mg at Day 30 was 365 ( 187) ng/dL.
Figure 2 summarizes the 24-hour pharmacokinetic profile of DHT for patients maintained on Testim 50 mg or Testim 100 mg for 30 days.
Figure 2 Mean Steady-State Serum Dihydrotestosterone (SD) (pg/mL) Concentrations on Day 30 in Patients Applying Testim Once Daily
The average daily DHT concentration produced by Testim 100 mg at Day 30 was 555 ( 293) pg/mL and by Testim 50 mg at Day 30 was 346 ( 212) pg/mL.
Washing The effect of showering (with mild soap) at 1, 2 and 6 hours post application of Testim 100 mg was evaluated in a clinical trial in 12 men. The study demonstrated that the overall effect of washing was to lessen testosterone levels; however, when washing occurred two or more hours post drug application, serum testosterone levels remained within the normal range.
Circulating testosterone is chiefly bound in the serum to sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) and albumin. The albumin-bound fraction of testosterone easily dissociates from albumin and is presumed to be bioactive. The portion of testosterone bound to SHBG is not considered biologically active. Approximately 40% of testosterone in plasma is bound to SHBG, 2% remains unbound (free) and the rest is bound to albumin and other proteins. The amount of SHBG in the serum and the total testosterone level will determine the distribution of bioactive and nonbioactive androgen.
There is considerable variation in the half-life of testosterone as reported in the literature, ranging from ten to 100 minutes.
Testosterone is metabolized to various 17-keto steroids through two different pathways. The major active metabolites of testosterone are estradiol and DHT. Testosterone is metabolized to DHT by steroid 5-reductase located in the skin, liver, and the urogenital tract of the male. DHT binds with greater affinity to SHBG than does testosterone. In many tissues, the activity of testosterone depends on its reduction to DHT, which binds to cytosol receptor proteins. The steroid-receptor complex is transported to the nucleus where it initiates transcription and cellular changes related to androgen action. In reproductive tissues, DHT is further metabolized to 3 and 3 androstanediol. Inactivation of testosterone occurs primarily in the liver.
DHT concentrations increased in parallel with testosterone concentrations during Testim treatment. After 90 days of treatment, mean DHT concentrations remained generally within the normal range for Testim-treated subjects.
About 90% of a testosterone dose given intramuscularly is excreted in the urine as glucuronic and sulfuric acid conjugates of testosterone and metabolites; about 6% of a dose is excreted in the feces, mostly in the unconjugated form.
In patients treated with Testim there are no observed differences in the average daily serum testosterone concentration at steady-state based on age or cause of hypogonadism. No formal studies were conducted in a pediatric age population or in patients with renal or hepatic insufficiencies.
Testim was evaluated in a randomized multicenter, multi-dose, active and placebo controlled 90-day study in 406 adult males with morning testosterone levels 300 ng/dL. The study was double-blind for the doses of Testim and placebo, but open label for the non-scrotal testosterone transdermal system. During the first 60 days, patients were evenly randomized to Testim 50 mg, Testim 100 mg, placebo gel, or testosterone transdermal system. At Day 60, patients receiving Testim were maintained at the same dose, or were titrated up or down within their treatment group, based on 24-hour averaged serum testosterone concentration levels obtained on Day 30.
Of 192 hypogonadal men who were appropriately titrated with Testim and who had sufficient data for analysis, 74% achieved an average serum testosterone level within the normal range on treatment Day 90.
Table 1 summarizes the mean testosterone concentrations on Day 30 for patients receiving Testim 50 mg or 100 mg.
At Day 30, patients receiving Testim 100 mg daily showed significant improvement from baseline in multiple sexual function parameters as measured by patient questionnaires when compared to placebo. These parameters included sexual motivation, sexual desire, sexual activity and spontaneous erections. For Testim 100 mg, improvements in sexual motivation, spontaneous erections, and sexual desire were maintained through Day 90. Sexual enjoyment and satisfaction with erection duration were improved compared to baseline but these improvements were not significant compared to the placebo group.
In Testim-treated patients, the number of days in which sexual activity was reported to occur increased by 123% from baseline at Day 30 and was still increased from baseline by 59% at Day 90. The number of days with spontaneous erections increased by 137% at Day 30 and was maintained at 78% at Day 90 for Testim-treated patients compared to baseline.
Table 2 summarizes the changes in body composition at Day 90 for patients receiving Testim 50 mg or 100 mg as measured by standardized whole body DEXA (Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry) scanning.
At Day 90, mean increases from baseline in lean body mass and mean decreases from baseline in total fat mass and percent body fat in Testim-treated patients were significant when compared to placebo-treated patients.
Potential for Testosterone Transfer The potential for dermal testosterone transfer following Testim use was evaluated in two clinical trials with males dosed with Testim and their untreated female partners.
In the first trial (AUX-TG-206), 30 couples were evenly randomized to five groups. In the first four groups, 100 mg of Testim was applied to the male abdomen and the couples were then asked to rub abdomen-to-abdomen for 15 minutes at 1 hour, 4 hours, 8 hours or 12 hours after dose application, respectively. In these couples, serum testosterone concentrations in female partners increased from baseline by at least 4 times and potential for transfer was seen at all timepoints.
When 6 males used a shirt to cover the abdomen at 15 minutes post-application and partners again rubbed abdomens for 15 minutes at the 1 hour timepoint, the potential for transfer was markedly reduced.
In the second trial (AUX-TG-209), 24 couples were evenly randomized to four groups. Testim 100 mg was applied to the male arms and shoulders. In one group, 15 minutes of direct skin-to-skin rubbing began at 4 hours after application. In these six women, all of whom showered immediately after the rubbing activity, mean maximum serum testosterone concentrations increased from baseline by approximately 4 times. When males wore a long-sleeved T-shirt and rubbing was started at 1 and at 4 hours after application, the transfer of testosterone from male to female partners was prevented.
See the rest here:
- What Causes Dark Circles Under Your Eyes? - July 5th, 2019
- Testosterone cream and gel for supplementation treating hypogonadism - April 9th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - April 2nd, 2019
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 1st, 2018
- Testosterone Gel Information - July 18th, 2018
- Testosterone gel - Drugs dot com - August 16th, 2016
- LowTestosterone.com - Testosterone Gel - August 11th, 2016
- AndroGel testosterone gel - Drug information from MediLexicon - June 15th, 2016
- Side Effects of Testim (Testosterone Gel) Drug Center - RxList - May 5th, 2016
- Testosterone gel is no fountain of youth, study finds - CBS News - April 10th, 2016
- DailyMed - TESTOSTERONE- testosterone gel - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Gel & Testicular Shrinkage! - October 24th, 2015
- Testim (Testosterone Gel) Drug Information: Medication ... - October 24th, 2015
- Low Thyroid Level Symptoms | HagglundMD.com Thyroid Doctor - September 26th, 2015
- List Of Low-Carb Doctors - September 25th, 2015
- AndroGel (testosterone gel) - August 12th, 2015
- AndroGel® (Testosterone Gel) 1.62% - August 2nd, 2015
- Testim gel: Indications, Side Effects, Warnings - Drugs.com - July 3rd, 2015
- Testim (Testosterone Gel) Drug Information: Description ... - July 3rd, 2015
- DailyMed - TESTOSTERONE- testosterone gel, metered - July 3rd, 2015
- number one testosterone booster , testosteron booster , testosterone gel , booster testosterone - Video - May 5th, 2015
- natural testosterone boosting , natural testosterone gel , best testosterone supplements - Video - May 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone Gel Treatment of Gynecomastia | eHow - April 6th, 2015
- Why Repros Therapeutics, Inc. Shares Are Soaring - April 2nd, 2015
- Low T Treatment | FORTESTA (testosterone) Gel CIII - March 17th, 2015
- Testosterone Gel - How RS Transaderm makes your test ... - March 12th, 2015
- MEDICATION GUIDE Testosterone (tes-TOS-te-rn) Gel, CIII - March 12th, 2015
- High testosterone ups heart disease risk in men - March 10th, 2015
- Men's heart disease risk linked to high testosterone and low estrogen - March 9th, 2015
- Higher heart disease risk for men due to high testosterone, low estrogen - March 9th, 2015
- Vital Health, Inc. Provides Tips On How To Combat Cystic Acne Through Dietary Changes and Natural Remedies - February 20th, 2015
- Men, women: Why cholesterol matters - January 30th, 2015
- How the menopause can drive women MAD - January 26th, 2015
- How the menopause can drive women MAD Panic attacks, violent rages, hallucinations just some of the terrifying ... - January 26th, 2015
- Gilead rival AbbVie's new hepatitis C treatment wins EU approval - January 20th, 2015
- Testosterone Gel A Convenient, Natural Solution - December 30th, 2014
- Doctor's Testosterone Gel - Buy Doctors Testosterone Gel ... - December 28th, 2014
- DailyMed - ANDROGEL- testosterone gel - November 25th, 2014
- Endo Int'l Buys Rights To Natesto Testosterone Nasal Gel From Trimel BioPharma - November 25th, 2014
- Secaucus police officer charged with selling steroid gel on eBay: officials - November 18th, 2014
- What Are the Benefits of Testosterone Gel? | eHow - November 2nd, 2014
- AbbVie Sales Blow Past Expectations - October 31st, 2014
- Buy Cernos Gel, Buy Testosterone Gel from Certified Online ... - October 28th, 2014
- testosterone gel (Androgel): Drug Facts, Side Effects and ... - October 3rd, 2014
- Woman Says Dentists Testosterone Gel Rubbed Off On Her During Sexual Attack, Causing Her To Grow Unsightly Body Hair - September 30th, 2014
- Androxal superior to Androgel in Phase 3 trial - September 27th, 2014
- 'When I look at myself I am not impressed at all' - August 2nd, 2014
- Don't Make This Big Investing Mistake Once Interest Rates Start Rising - August 2nd, 2014
- Why Isn't This Swirling Low in the Atlantic a Tropical Storm? - August 2nd, 2014
- As Political Disenchantment Soars, Lines At The Polls Grow Shorter - July 26th, 2014
- Love Letters: We Don't Have Much To Talk About - July 26th, 2014
- Wonkblog: Britains economy is finally bigger than it was in 2008. What took so long? - July 26th, 2014
- Wounded veteran is standing tall, looking to the future - July 6th, 2014
- Testosterone Nasal Gel Claims To Help Women Reach Orgasm (And Has 'No Side Effects') - June 18th, 2014
- Tefina NOSE gel claims to boost number of orgasms a woman can have - June 18th, 2014
- Book Extract: Set ambitious targets to win - June 2nd, 2014
- Double Blessing For Trimel Pharma... - May 31st, 2014
- Testosterone Gels - May 1st, 2014
- Andractim Testosterone Gel for Testosterone Replacement ... - April 30th, 2014
- AUXL Gives Bleak Outlook, IG Reverses Loss, ENDP Opens Wallet, BOTA Stops Work - April 30th, 2014
- How to Apply Testosterone Gel - 31 Day Testosterone Plan - Video - April 22nd, 2014
- Is Your Husband At Risk for a Testosterone Heart Attack? - April 16th, 2014
- Testosterone Cypionate | Best Testosterone Supplments - April 14th, 2014
- Low T Litigation - Video - April 2nd, 2014
- Perrigo sues FDA over failure to grant therapeutic equivalence rating for testosterone gel - March 24th, 2014
- Testosterone Monograph for Professionals - Drugs.com - March 7th, 2014
- Could the male hormone testosterone transform a woman's looks, life and libido? - March 6th, 2014
- Group wants heart attack warning on testosterone - Quincy Herald-Whig | Illinois & Missouri News, Sports - February 25th, 2014
- Startling Effects of Testosterone Therapy - February 8th, 2014
- Questions & Answers 195 - Video - February 5th, 2014
- Testosterone Tx Ups Heart Attack Risk at Any Age - January 31st, 2014
- Testosterone Treatments Linked to Heart Attacks - January 30th, 2014
- Testosterone gel: Indications, Side Effects, Warnings ... - January 23rd, 2014
- Testosterone Gel Vs. Patch | eHow - eHow | How to Videos ... - December 24th, 2013
- AndroGel (Testosterone Gel for Topical Use) Drug Information ... - December 24th, 2013
- Best Natural Testosterone Booster (Get FREE Bottle) - Video - December 23rd, 2013
- Female Sexual Desire Drug Rejected by U.S. Regulators - December 12th, 2013
- Manufacturers of "female Viagra" appeal FDA denial - December 12th, 2013
- Side Effects of AndroGel (Testosterone Gel for Topical Use ... - December 10th, 2013
- Testosterone Gel Treatment | eHow - eHow | How to Videos ... - December 6th, 2013
Contact Us Now
How useful was this post?
Click on a smiley face to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
Word Count: 1524