Hypogonadism is the term for any condition which causes sex hormones to be produced at levels that are inadequate for normal and healthy function.
In males, Hypogonadism is also known as Low-T or Testosterone Deficiency. Dependent upon the age at which Hypogonadism becomes a health issue, the symptoms can be dramatically different.
Healthy sex hormone production is absolutely necessary for the development of secondary sexual characteristics during puberty, and if Testosterone or Estrogen Levels are too low, this can lead to delayed puberty or underdevelopment.
Video Link: https://vimeo.com/291609390
Video Download: Hypogonadism Guide
Video Stream: Hypogonadism Guide
In adulthood, Hypogonadism affects physiological function rather than development. Testosterone is vitally important to both health and sexual function in men.
In women, Estrogen is necessary for the menstrual cycle and normal fertility. In both sexes, Testosterone is directly associated with sexual desire and performance. If a man doesn't produce enough Testosterone, libido suffers, erectile function diminishes, and fertility falls dramatically.
Treatments options for Hypogonadism depend on the underlying cause of Sex Hormone Deficiency but usually revolve around effective use of Testosterone Replacement Therapy or Clomiphene Citrate.
Primary Hypogonadism in Men
In men, Primary Hypogonadism is a condition in which the testes are unable to adequately produce Testosterone in order to meet the physiological requirements of the body.
Primary Hypogonadism is also known as hypogonadotropic Hypogonadism. The word Hypogonadism refers to general Testosterone Deficiency in males.
Hypergonadotropic refers to a symptom of this form of Testosterone Deficiency in which the brain signals for the elevated production of Testosterone Precursors in order to compensate for inhibited Testosterone Production.
Gonadotropic refers to hormones intended to stimulate the production of sex hormones. In both sexes, the most significant Gonadotropic Hormones are Luteinizing Hormone and Follicle-Stimulating Hormone.
Causes of Primary Hypogonadism
Primary Hypogonadism is actually the rarest form of Testosterone Deficiency, because aging is the number one cause of Low-T, and occurs whether the testesare healthy enough for Testosterone and Sperm Production.
Primary Hypogonadism has many causes, resulting from either damage to the testes or underdevelopment of the Testes.
Prenatally, Genetic disorders, and congenital defects are among the causes of Primary Hypogonadism, and one of the most common of these disorders is Klinefelter Syndrome.
Undescended or partially descended Testicles can also lead to Testosterone Deficiency, and in some cases may require surgery to fix.
Among adults, physical damage to the testes is the general cause of Primary Hypogonadism, and this damage can be the result of several different factors. Cancer treatment can significantly damage the testes, leading to inhibited Testosterone and sperm production.
Excess iron levels (known as hemochromatosis) can lead to partial or total failure of the testes (as well as the pituitary gland). Diseases such as the Mumps can also significantly impact the normal and healthy function of the Testicles.
Secondary Hypogonadism in Men
Secondary Hypogonadism is a form of Hormone Deficiency in which the sex organs are still perfectly capable of producing sex hormones, but signaling for the production of those Hormones has dropped to levels that lead to Sex Hormone Deficiency.
This is the most common cause of Testosterone Deficiency in men. Secondary Hypogonadism is also referred to as Normogonadotropic Hypogonadism.
Men suffering from Secondary Hypogonadism have issues producing both Testosterone and Sperm. The severity of these issues is directly correlated with the severity of the patient's Low-T.
Testosterone is produced as a response to stimulation by Luteinizing Hormone released by cells in the Anterior Pituitary Gland known as Gonadotropic Cells. Less Luteinizing Hormone means that the testes secrete less Testosterone.
Whether a man has Primary or Secondary Hypogonadism, he will likely have issues with sperm production. Because of underlying differences between the two forms of Hypogonadism, men with Secondary Hypogonadism are more likely to experience significant Testosterone Deficiency than their counterparts.
This is because the cells responsible for the production of Semen are more sensitive than the cells associated with the production of Testosterone, which makes them more prone to damage and malfunction.
In many cases, men with Primary Hypogonadism are more than capable of producing Testosterone but have a significantly suppressed or total inability to produce sperm.
Causes of Secondary Hypogonadism
Like Primary Hypogonadism, Secondary Hypogonadism can also be the result of congenital issues, one of which is Kallman Syndrome. Damage to the pituitary gland from cancer treatment and tumor extraction can also lead to Secondary Hypogonadism, as well as the development of the tumor itself.
Obesity is well-known for suppressing Testosterone production by increasing Estrogen Levels in the male bloodstream. Any condition which leads to severe inflammation which directly or indirectly impacts the hypothalamus or pituitary gland can also lead to Secondary Hypogonadism.
Of course, one of the most common causes of symptomatic Secondary Hypogonadism is aging, itself.
Age-Associated Hypogonadism in Men
The most common form of Hypogonadism by far is Age-Associated Hypogonadism. The physiological process by which this condition occurs is known as Andropause. Andropause can be most easily understood as the male counterpart to menopause.
Both are conditions that lead to significant changes in metabolism, as well as physical and psychological function, and both are directly the result of a decline in gender-associated Hormone Levels (Testosterone in men, Estradiol in women).
There are two major differences between Andropause and Menopause. First, Andropause is the result of a slow decline in Testosterone that occurs over the course of many years, which becomes more rapid during the forties and fifties.
Menopause is a sudden change that occurs at the end of a woman's reproductive life. Second, men continue to produce Testosterone (albeit at lesser concentrations over time) throughout their lifespan, whereas Menopause is a cessation of the production of Estradiol.
Secondary Hypogonadism and Fertility
Normogonadotropic Hypogonadism refers to Sex Hormone Deficiency in which Follicle-Stimulating Hormone and Luteinizing Hormones are produced at normal levels, but Testosterone Levels in the bloodstream are still abnormally low.
For men suffering from fertility issues related to Normogonadotropic Hypogonadism, Clomiphene Citrate is one of the most popular methods to stimulate an increase in Testosterone Levels in order to spur the production of sperm in order to increase the odds of fertilization.
Clomiphene Citrate prevents Estrogen from suppressing Luteinizing Hormone and Follicle-Stimulating Hormone production, increasing Gonadotropin production, and encouraging normalized secretion of Testosterone and manufacture of sperm.
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Five Things That, Surprisingly, Lower Your Testosterone Levels - January 3rd, 2023 [April 5th, 2022]
- 3 out of 10 (three out of ten) South Korean men over 40 suffer andropause symptoms / YTN - Video - March 19th, 2022 [February 12th, 2022]
- How Can Low Testosterone Affect Male Fertility? - January 6th, 2023 [July 28th, 2021]
- Male Menopause - Andropause Information - November 29th, 2021 [May 30th, 2021]
- Got Andropause? Male Renewal With Androgen Testosterone Treatment for Men - December 31st, 2022 [May 11th, 2021]
- Andropause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - March 15th, 2021 [March 15th, 2021]
- Clomiphene Citrate for Testosterone Deficiency - November 14th, 2021 [January 13th, 2021]
- Low-T Therapy for Andropause — Treating Male Menopause - November 11th, 2021 [January 12th, 2021]
- Study Questions Longtime Treatment for Prostate Cancer - November 2nd, 2021 [November 10th, 2020]
- What is Andropause - November 7th, 2021 [August 15th, 2020]
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - November 14th, 2021 [August 10th, 2020]
- Six Surprising Low-T Signs - November 23rd, 2021 [August 8th, 2020]
- Natesto Testosterone Nasal Gel Therapy on the Horizon - November 20th, 2021 [July 2nd, 2020]
- Five Ways to Manage Cholesterol Without Medication - November 20th, 2021 [May 18th, 2020]
- What is Andropause? - Renew Youth - November 5th, 2020 [August 14th, 2016]
- Andropause - November 29th, 2020 [July 21st, 2016]
- Male menopause - NHS Choices - October 13th, 2020 [July 4th, 2016]
- Male menopause: Myth or reality? - Mayo Clinic - December 6th, 2017 [July 4th, 2016]
- Andropause Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes ... - June 9th, 2016 [June 9th, 2016]
- About Andropause - Masters Men's Clinic - November 11th, 2020 [May 14th, 2016]
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health Products & Information - October 28th, 2020 [May 14th, 2016]
- Andropause (Male Menopause) - ZRT Laboratory - November 5th, 2020 [April 21st, 2016]
- Andropause Symptoms - Male Menopause Symptoms - BodyLogicMD - Home Page - December 9th, 2017 [April 21st, 2016]
- Andropause/Male Menopause - Symptoms and Diagnosis - December 28th, 2017 [April 21st, 2016]
- Andropause - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis ... - November 26th, 2020 [April 6th, 2016]
- Andropause: Physical and Mental Symptoms and Treatment - November 21st, 2020 [April 5th, 2016]
- Andropause Treatment| Symptoms | Peptides Australia - October 14th, 2020 [April 4th, 2016]
- Andropause or male menopause | Manna Health - October 9th, 2020 [April 4th, 2016]
- Andropause Treatment Program Renew Man - December 26th, 2017 [September 18th, 2015]
- Andropause: When Guys Get 'The Change' | Lisa Turner - December 4th, 2017 [September 7th, 2015]
- Low T/Andropause - Maze Men's Sexual & Reproductive Health - November 17th, 2020 [August 3rd, 2015]
- Symptoms Of Andropause (Male Menopause) Renew Man - November 12th, 2020 [July 13th, 2015]
- Andropause / Male Menopause - Treatment - Medindia - March 20th, 2016 [July 13th, 2015]
- Andropause (Male Menopause) Treatments - December 23rd, 2017 [May 11th, 2015]
- "TongKat Ali - Great for Andropause" - Video - October 27th, 2020 [May 4th, 2015]
- Andropause Meaning - Video - November 3rd, 2020 [April 21st, 2015]
- Andropause - Male menopause - Symptoms - Causes ... - November 8th, 2020 [April 4th, 2015]
- Menopause Dr Dewi Gaduh and Andropause Dr Ridwan T CD 2 - Video - October 25th, 2020 [March 26th, 2015]
- Menopause Dr Dewi Gaduh and Andropause Dr Ridwan T - Video - November 22nd, 2020 [March 26th, 2015]
- The Male Menopause: Andropause - Nicole Ortiz, ND - Video - November 19th, 2020 [March 25th, 2015]
- How Hucksters Are Profiting Off of Testosterone and Growth Hormone - November 23rd, 2020 [March 25th, 2015]
- The 10-point guide to the integral management of menopausal health - November 1st, 2020 [March 17th, 2015]
- Andropause "Low T": #1: High Blood Sugar - Video - March 6th, 2015 [March 6th, 2015]
- Menopause/Andropause List - Video - October 10th, 2020 [March 5th, 2015]
- Andropause - Low Testosterone :: Department of Urology - October 7th, 2020 [February 23rd, 2015]
- Live life! Avoid fatigue - hormonal imbalances - December 29th, 2016 [February 21st, 2015]
- Tips to ease fatigue - October 10th, 2020 [January 22nd, 2015]
- Andropause and Prostate Enlargement #15 - Video - October 20th, 2020 [January 11th, 2015]
- Andropause | Health | Embarrassing | Channel4.com/bodies - December 22nd, 2017 [December 29th, 2014]
- Aging changes in the male reproductive system: MedlinePlus ... - November 18th, 2020 [December 19th, 2014]
- EMAS promotes the study of midlife health through its journal - December 29th, 2016 [December 2nd, 2014]
- My Journey In And Out Of Andropause! - June 4th, 2020 [November 19th, 2014]
- GENERATION RX PLUS- ANDROPAUSE- ASK THE EXPERTS - Video - November 13th, 2020 [November 13th, 2014]
- What are hormones and how do they affect me? - November 21st, 2020 [November 12th, 2014]
- Andropause, Late Onset Hypogonadism (LOH), male menopause ... - November 8th, 2020 [November 4th, 2014]
- MEN HEALTH PROBLEMS - blogspot.com - October 30th, 2020 [October 30th, 2014]
- Menopause | Andropause Workshop Preview - Video - October 30th, 2014 [October 30th, 2014]
- Andropause: Dealing With Male Menopause - blogspot.com - October 28th, 2014 [October 28th, 2014]
- What is Male Menopause - Healthline - October 26th, 2020 [October 28th, 2014]
- Male Menopause: Get Facts about Symptoms and Treatments - November 6th, 2020 [October 28th, 2014]
- The Male Andropause - Schachter Center for Complementary ... - October 28th, 2014 [October 28th, 2014]
- Health Column: Anti-aging strategies - November 4th, 2020 [October 23rd, 2014]
- Herbs For Andropause - Video - November 21st, 2020 [October 21st, 2014]
- Dr. Farnesi explains that men also go through Menopause. Its called Andropause. - Video - October 11th, 2020 [October 18th, 2014]
- Healthy Trinbago - Andropause - Video - November 13th, 2020 [October 3rd, 2014]
- Find Out What Makes Sex Amazing Instead of So-So in this New Book by Sexual Medicine Scientist, Dr. E - May 4th, 2015 [October 3rd, 2014]
- Hormone fluctuation affects men, too - October 26th, 2020 [October 1st, 2014]
- Tired? Not interested in sex? Mister, you might be in andropause - October 15th, 2020 [September 18th, 2014]
- Elsevier journal Maturitas publishes position statement on breast cancer screening - May 4th, 2015 [September 17th, 2014]
- Dr. Reese explains that men also go through Menopause. Its called Andropause. - Video - October 23rd, 2020 [September 13th, 2014]
- Menopause in Men (a.k.a. Andropause) - Fact or Fiction - Video - September 6th, 2014 [September 6th, 2014]
- What are the symptoms of andropause? - Video - October 20th, 2020 [August 31st, 2014]
- Andropause and Depression - Video - October 26th, 2020 [August 30th, 2014]
- Male Hot Flashes - Check Out wwwAndropauseGuide dot com To Solve Andropause - Video - October 4th, 2020 [August 23rd, 2014]
- Daytime Dr Miller Menopause v Andropause MP4 version - Video - November 1st, 2020 [July 28th, 2014]
- New Case Study Highlights Effectiveness of Testosterone Therapy in Fighting Weight Gain and Fatigue - May 4th, 2015 [July 26th, 2014]
- Andropause, Menopause, and Sexuality As We Age: Art of Aging 102 - Video - October 26th, 2020 [July 9th, 2014]
- Dr Naina About Andropause - Video - October 3rd, 2020 [June 28th, 2014]
- LBC Sat with Vanessa Menopause & Andropause - Video - June 26th, 2014 [June 26th, 2014]
- Did You Know? - November 4th, 2020 [June 24th, 2014]
Word Count: 1044