Hypogonadism is the term for any condition which causes sex hormones to be produced at levels which are inadequate for normal and healthy function. In males, Hypogonadism is also known as Low-T or Testosterone Deficiency. Dependent upon the age at which Hypogonadism becomes a health issue, the symptoms can be dramatically different. Healthy sex hormone production is absolutely necessary for the development of secondary sexual characteristics during puberty, and if Testosterone or Estrogen Levels are too low, this can lead to delayed puberty or underdevelopment.
In adulthood, Hypogonadism affects physiological function rather than development. Testosterone is vitally important to both health and sexual function in men. In women, Estrogen is necessary for the menstrual cycle and normal fertility. In both sexes, Testosterone is directly associated with sexual desire and performance. If a man doesn’t produce enough Testosterone, libido suffers, erectile function diminishes, and fertility falls dramatially. Treatments options for Hypogonadism depend on the underlying cause of Sex Hormone Deficiency, but usually revolve around effective use of Testosterone Replacement Therapy or Clomiphene Citrate.
Primary Hypogonadism in Men
In men, Primary Hypogonadism is a condition in which the testes are unable to adequately produce Testosterone in order to meet the physiological requirements of the body. Primary Hypogonadism is also known as Hypergonadotropic Hypogonadism. The word Hypogonadism refers to general Testosterone Deficiency in males.
Hypergonadotropic refers to a symptom of this form of Testosterone Deficiency in which the brain signals for the elevated production of Testosterone Precursors in order to compensate for inhibited Testosterone Production. Gonadotropic refers to hormones intended to stimulate production of sex hormones. In both sexes, the most significant Gonadotropic Hormones are Luteinizing Hormone and Follicle-Stimulating Hormone.
Causes of Primary Hypogonadism
Primary Hypogonadism is actually the rarest form of Testosterone Deficiency, because aging is the number one cause of Low-T, and occurs whether the testes are healthy enough for Testosterone and Sperm Production. Primary Hypogonadism has many causes, resulting from either damage to the testes or underdevelopment of the Testes.
Prenatally, Genetic disorders and congenital defects are among the causes of Primary Hypogonadism, and one of the most common of these disorders is Klinefelter Syndrome. Undescended or partially descended Testicles can also lead to Testosterone Deficiency, and in some cases may require surgery to fix.
Among adults, physical damage to the testes is the general cause of Primary Hypogonadism, and this damage can be the result of several different factors. Cancer treatment can significantly damage the testes, leading to inhibited Testosterone and sperm production. Excess iron levels (known as hemochromatosis) can lead to partial or total failure of the testes (as well as the pituitary gland). Diseases such as the Mumps can also significantly impact the normal and healthy function of the Testicles.
Secondary Hypogonadism in Men
Secondary Hypogonadism is a form of Hormone Deficiency in which the sex organs are still perfectly capable of producing sex hormones, but signalling for the production of those Hormones has dropped to levels which lead to Sex Hormone Deficiency. This is the most common cause of Testosterone Deficiency in men. Secondary Hypogonadism is also referred to as Normogonadotropic Hypogonadism.
Men suffering from Secondary Hypogonadism have issues producing both Testosterone and Sperm. The severity of these issues are directly correlated with the severity of the patient’s Low-T. Testosterone is produced as a response to stimulation by Luteinizing Hormone released by cells in the Anterior Pituitary Gland known as Gonadotropic Cells. Less Luteinizing Hormone means that the testes secrete less Testosterone.
Whether a man has Primary or Secondary Hypogonadism, he will likely have issues with sperm production. Because of underlying differences between the two forms of Hypogonadism, men with Secondary Hypogonadism are more likely to experience significant Testosterone Deficiency than their counterparts. This is because the cells responsible for the production of Semen are more sensitive than the cells associated with the production of Testosterone, which makes them more prone to damage and malfunction. In many cases, men with Primary Hypogonadism are more than capable of producing Testosterone, but have a significantly suppressed or total inability to produce sperm.
Causes of Secondary Hypogonadism
Like Primary Hypogonadism, Secondary Hypogonadism can also be the result of congenital issues, one of which is Kallman Syndrome. Damage to the pituitary gland from cancer treatment and tumor extraction can also lead to Secondary Hypogonadism, as well as the development of the tumor itself. Obesity is well-known for suppressing Testosterone production by increasing Estrogen Levels in the male bloodstream. Any condition which leads to severe inflammation which directly or indirectly impacts the hypothalamus or pituitary gland can also lead to Secondary Hypogonadism. Of course, one of the most common causes of symptomatic Secondary Hypogonadism is aging, itself.
Age-Associated Hypogonadism in Men
The most common form of Hypogonadism by far is Age-Associated Hypogonadism. The physiological process by which this condition occurs is known as Andropause. Andropause can be most easily understood as the male counterpart to menopause. Both are conditions which lead to significant changes in metabolism, as well as physical and psychological function, and both are directly the result of a decline in gender-associated Hormone Levels (Testosterone in men, Estradiol in women).
There are two major differences between Andropause and Menopause. First, Andopause is the result of a slow decline in Testosterone that occurs over the course of many years, which becomes more rapid during the forties and fifties. Menopause is a sudden change that occurs at the end of a woman’s reproductive life. Second, men continue to produce Testosterone (albeit at lesser concentrations over time) throughout their lifespan, whereas Menopause is a cessation of the production of Estradiol.
Secondary Hypogonadism and Fertility
Normogonadotropic Hypogonadism refers to Sex Hormone Deficiency in which Follicle-Stimulating Hormone and Luteinizing Hormones are produced at normal levels, but Testosterone Levels in the bloodstream are still abnormally low. For men suffering from fertility issues related to Normogonadotropic Hypogonadism, Clomiphene Citrate is one of the most popular methods to stimulate an increase in Testosterone Levels in order to spur the production of sperm in order to increase the odds of fertilization.
Clomiphene Citrate prevents Estrogen from suppressing Luteinizing Hormone and Follicle-Stimulating Hormone production, increasing Gonadotropin production and encouraging normalized secretion of Testosterone and manufacture of sperm.
Contact Us Now
- Natesto Testosterone Nasal Gel Therapy on the Horizon - September 5th, 2018
- Five Ways to Manage Cholesterol Without Medication - August 27th, 2018
- Six Surprising Low-T Signs - August 2nd, 2018
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 1st, 2018
- What is Andropause - July 25th, 2018
- Clomiphene Citrate for Testosterone Deficiency - July 13th, 2018
- Low-T Therapy for Andropause — Treating Male Menopause - July 12th, 2018
- Got Andropause? Male Renewal With Androgen Testosterone Treatment for Men - August 17th, 2016
- What is Andropause? - Renew Youth - August 14th, 2016
- Andropause - July 21st, 2016
- Male menopause - NHS Choices - July 4th, 2016
- Male menopause: Myth or reality? - Mayo Clinic - July 4th, 2016
- Andropause (Male Menopause) - zrtlab.com - July 4th, 2016
- Andropause Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes ... - June 9th, 2016
- About Andropause - Masters Men's Clinic - May 14th, 2016
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health Products & Information - May 14th, 2016
- Andropause (Male Menopause) - ZRT Laboratory - April 21st, 2016
- Andropause Symptoms - Male Menopause Symptoms - BodyLogicMD - Home Page - April 21st, 2016
- Andropause/Male Menopause - Symptoms and Diagnosis - April 21st, 2016
- Andropause - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis ... - April 6th, 2016
- Andropause: Physical and Mental Symptoms and Treatment - April 5th, 2016
- Andropause Treatment| Symptoms | Peptides Australia - April 4th, 2016
- Andropause or male menopause | Manna Health - April 4th, 2016
- Andropause Treatment Program Renew Man - September 18th, 2015
- Andropause: When Guys Get 'The Change' | Lisa Turner - September 7th, 2015
- Low T/Andropause - Maze Men's Sexual & Reproductive Health - August 3rd, 2015
- Symptoms Of Andropause (Male Menopause) Renew Man - July 13th, 2015
- Andropause / Male Menopause - Treatment - Medindia - July 13th, 2015
- Andropause (Male Menopause) Treatments - May 11th, 2015
- "TongKat Ali - Great for Andropause" - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Andropause Meaning - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Andropause - Male menopause - Symptoms - Causes ... - April 4th, 2015
- Menopause Dr Dewi Gaduh and Andropause Dr Ridwan T CD 2 - Video - March 26th, 2015
- Menopause Dr Dewi Gaduh and Andropause Dr Ridwan T - Video - March 26th, 2015
- The Male Menopause: Andropause - Nicole Ortiz, ND - Video - March 25th, 2015
- How Hucksters Are Profiting Off of Testosterone and Growth Hormone - March 25th, 2015
- The 10-point guide to the integral management of menopausal health - March 17th, 2015
- Andropause "Low T": #1: High Blood Sugar - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Menopause/Andropause List - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Andropause - Low Testosterone :: Department of Urology - February 23rd, 2015
- Live life! Avoid fatigue - hormonal imbalances - February 21st, 2015
- 3 out of 10 S.Korean men over 40 suffer andropause symptoms / YTN - Video - February 12th, 2015
- Andropause - Manoj Bhawuk - Video - February 11th, 2015
- Tips to ease fatigue - January 22nd, 2015
- Andropause and Prostate Enlargement #15 - Video - January 11th, 2015
- Prostate - Masters Men's Clinic For Andropause (Male ... - January 11th, 2015
- Myth of male Menopause ( Andropause) - Sexologist Dr Vijaya Sarathi Answers - Video - January 5th, 2015
- Andropause | Health | Embarrassing | Channel4.com/bodies - December 29th, 2014
- Aging changes in the male reproductive system: MedlinePlus ... - December 19th, 2014
- How to Pronounce Andropause - Video - December 9th, 2014
- EMAS promotes the study of midlife health through its journal - December 2nd, 2014
- Managing Menopausal Symptoms - Breastcancer.org - December 2nd, 2014
- Bodybuilding.com - My Journey In And Out Of Andropause! - November 19th, 2014
- GENERATION RX PLUS- ANDROPAUSE- ASK THE EXPERTS - Video - November 13th, 2014
- What are hormones and how do they affect me? - November 12th, 2014
- Andropause Depression Symptoms What Are Andropause Depression Symptoms - Video - November 10th, 2014
- Andropause, Late Onset Hypogonadism (LOH), male menopause ... - November 4th, 2014
- Osteopathy and andropause - Video - October 31st, 2014
- MEN HEALTH PROBLEMS - blogspot.com - October 30th, 2014
- Menopause | Andropause Workshop Preview - Video - October 30th, 2014
- Andropause: Dealing With Male Menopause - blogspot.com - October 28th, 2014
- What is Male Menopause - Healthline - October 28th, 2014
- Male Menopause: Get Facts about Symptoms and Treatments - October 28th, 2014
- The Male Andropause - Schachter Center for Complementary ... - October 28th, 2014
- Health Column: Anti-aging strategies - October 23rd, 2014
- Herbs For Andropause - Video - October 21st, 2014
- Dr. Farnesi explains that men also go through Menopause. Its called Andropause. - Video - October 18th, 2014
- Healthy Trinbago - Andropause - Video - October 3rd, 2014
- Find Out What Makes Sex Amazing Instead of So-So in this New Book by Sexual Medicine Scientist, Dr. E - October 3rd, 2014
- Hormone fluctuation affects men, too - October 1st, 2014
- Do you have male menopause? - September 23rd, 2014
- Tired? Not interested in sex? Mister, you might be in andropause - September 18th, 2014
- Elsevier journal Maturitas publishes position statement on breast cancer screening - September 17th, 2014
- Dr. Reese explains that men also go through Menopause. Its called Andropause. - Video - September 13th, 2014
- Study Questions Longtime Treatment for Prostate Cancer - September 12th, 2014
- Menopause in Men (a.k.a. Andropause) - Fact or Fiction - Video - September 6th, 2014
- Menopause For Men - Check Out wwwAndropauseGuide dot com To Eliminate Andropause - Video - August 31st, 2014
- What are the symptoms of andropause? - Video - August 31st, 2014
- Low T Symptoms - Visit wwwAndropauseGuide dot com To Solve Andropause - Video - August 31st, 2014
- Symptoms of Low Testosterone In Men - Visit wwwAndropauseGuide dot com To Treat Andropause - Video - August 30th, 2014