Testosterone gel has rapidly become one of the preferred forms of treatment in those suffering from low testosterone. This is an extremely popular form of testosterone therapy as there is no injection involved. A testosterone gel is simply rubbed onto the skin like lotion. While the ease of use provides a lot of desire, a testosterone gel does come with a downside compared to injectable testosterones in its bioavailability. However, for the treatment of low testosterone this issue can be eliminated so as long as the proper dose is applied.
Testosterone gel first became popular in 2000 when Unimed Pharmaceuticals introduced AndroGel, the most well-known testosterone gel to ever hit the market. Shortly after AndroGel was released, Auxillum Pharmaceuticals would release Testim, a testosterone gel with a 38% greater bioavailability than AndroGel. For several years, these two forms would dominate the market, and while Testim would prove more powerful its thicker and stickier composition, along with superior AndroGel marketing would leave Testim in second place. However, in 2006 the U.S. FDA would approve generic testosterone gel manufactured by Watson Pharmaceuticals officially opening the marketplace to heavy competition. Since that time, testosterone gel has become one of the leading testosterone therapy medications.
Testosterone gel, regardless of the brand, is officially classified as a transdermal hydroalcoholic testosterone gel specifically manufactured for the human pharmaceutical market. By its mode of delivery, it is designed to provide continuous testosterone therapy for several hours post administration. The specific brand will, however, affect the testosterone gel's absorption rate as well as concentration. For example, AndroGel will provide approximately 10% of the applied dose in usable and absorbable testosterone and many generic versions are similar. Data has shown that brands like Testim will provide a much stronger concentration of usable testosterone based on the applied dose, but they can be harder to apply.
The brand of testosterone gel will also affect its concentration and total strength. Most commonly, testosterone gels will carry a 1% concentration or a close proximity and can be found in 2.5g and 5g sachets. Such sachets will provide 25mg and 50mg of usable testosterone respectively.
Once in the body, testosterone gel will perform identically to the testosterone that is naturally manufactured by the human body. It is a synthetic version, but once in the body the body will make no distinguishing difference in testosterone gel and the testosterone it naturally produces. For the low testosterone patient, this is more than welcome as such an individual is no longer producing an adequate amount of testosterone to meet his body's needs.
The testosterone hormone itself is responsible for many areas of our wellbeing covering our physical, sexual and even mental functions. When levels begin to fall, we will find we begin to suffer in each of these areas, and when ignored, often the symptoms begin to mount up. Those who apply the transdermal cream will often find the effects of testosterone gel lead to numerous improvements. Many men who suffer from low testosterone often find significant losses in muscle mass and strength to be common. Body fat gain is also common and often difficult to reverse despite diet and exercise when testosterone levels are low. Most men will also experience sexually related symptoms such as a decreased libido or erectile dysfunction; the latter can refer to the inability to obtain or maintain an erection. These are all common early symptoms of low testosterone, but if ignored most men will find other symptoms to manifest. Insomnia, a lack of energy, lethargy, irritability and even depression are all very common symptoms, and if due to low testosterone the effects of testosterone gel can remedy each symptom each and every time.
If you suffer from low testosterone, the effects of testosterone gel can be very beneficial in protecting your body from far more serious conditions. Low testosterone itself is not life threatening, and while it can severely diminish your quality of life it can also promote in a gateway sense many far more serious conditions. Low testosterone has been linked to heart disease, Alzheimer's, diabetes and osteoporosis. Those who suffer from low testosterone will be at a far greater risk of such conditions if the condition is ignored.
There are possible side effects of testosterone gel use; however, the odds are highly in your favor. Remember, this is not a foreign substance to your body; it is merely testosterone, a hormone you are well accustomed to. In fact, most men can tolerate high levels of testosterone fairly well, but it is high doses that will most commonly exasperate the potential for adverse effects. When using a testosterone gel to treat low testosterone, you will merely be applying enough of the hormone to combat what your body is lacking. However, side effects of testosterone gel still remain possible, but they are more than combatable with proper steps.
Due to the potential estrogenic activity, some men may need an anti-estrogen medication such as a Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulator (SERM) like Nolvadex (Tamoxifen Citrate) or an Aromatase Inhibitor (AI) like Arimidex (Anastrozole). SERM's will function by binding to the estrogen receptors preventing the estrogen hormone from binding and causing the related actions. AI's will function by inhibiting the aromatase process and by lowering serum estrogen levels in the body. AI's will be the most effective, but as we will shortly see they can have a downside.
Conversely, if SERM's are used to combat the estrogenic side effects of testosterone gel, they will have no negative effect on cholesterol. In fact, while anti-estrogenic in nature, SERM's actively act as estrogen in the liver and have been shown to improve cholesterol levels. Unfortunately, for those who need estrogen protection they are often not enough.
The androgenic side effects of testosterone gel are due to the testosterone hormone's interaction with the 5-alpha reductase enzyme. This interaction leads to the testosterone hormone being reduced to another androgen in dihydrotestosterone (DHT) where it targets the response areas in the skin and scalp. If you are sensitive to the androgenic side effects of testosterone gel, you may find the use of a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor like Finasteride to be useful. This will not completely eliminate the androgenicity of the hormone, but it will significantly reduce it. However, keep in mind such effects are highly dependant on genetics and to a degree the total dosing of testosterone gel applied. Most men will have no need for a related inhibitor.
Many men who are beginning their testosterone therapy are often presented with two choices, testosterone gel or an injectable version of the primary male testosterone hormone. These are not the only two available forms of administration, but they are the most common. Regardless of the form you choose or the one your doctor prescribes you, both are comprised of the same identical testosterone hormone. Once in the body the human body will not know if it arrived through injection or a transdermal cream. However, the issue of bioavailability can be a concern for some men. Many men will find testosterone gel completely eliminates their low testosterone condition, but for some it won't be enough. There will be those who will need such a large dose of testosterone gel to combat their condition that use simply isn't feasible or efficient. If this is the case, you will more than likely need injedctable testosterone.
Testosterone gel is normally applied to the body first thing in the morning to clean, dry skin. The upper arms, shoulders and abdomen are the most common areas of application. Once applied, the individual should wash his hands thoroughly with soap and water to ensure others, especially women and children do not come into contact with the medication. Direct skin-to-skin contact such as sexual activity should also be avoided after testosterone gel is applied in order to prevent it from coming into contact with a female partner. Such contact should be avoided for twelve hours post application of the testosterone gel. If such contact is to occur before the twelve hour mark is reached the individual should shower before sexual activity begins. Even if the twelve hour mark has passed, a shower before sexual activity is advised.
See the article here:
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Testosterone gel - Drugs dot com - April 12th, 2021
- Testosterone cream and gel for supplementation treating hypogonadism - March 13th, 2021
- Testosterone Gel Information - September 9th, 2020
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 10th, 2020
- What Causes Dark Circles Under Your Eyes? - May 16th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - February 11th, 2020
- Tefina nasal gel claims to boost number of orgasms a woman can have - June 18th, 2019
- AndroGel testosterone gel - Drug information from MediLexicon - June 15th, 2016
- Side Effects of Testim (Testosterone Gel) Drug Center - RxList - May 5th, 2016
- DailyMed - TESTIM - testosterone gel - May 3rd, 2016
- Testosterone gel is no fountain of youth, study finds - CBS News - April 10th, 2016
- DailyMed - TESTOSTERONE- testosterone gel - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Gel & Testicular Shrinkage! - October 24th, 2015
- Testim (Testosterone Gel) Drug Information: Medication ... - October 24th, 2015
- Low Thyroid Level Symptoms | HagglundMD.com Thyroid Doctor - September 26th, 2015
- List Of Low-Carb Doctors - September 25th, 2015
- AndroGel (testosterone gel) - August 12th, 2015
- AndroGel® (Testosterone Gel) 1.62% - August 2nd, 2015
- Testim gel: Indications, Side Effects, Warnings - Drugs.com - July 3rd, 2015
- Testim (Testosterone Gel) Drug Information: Description ... - July 3rd, 2015
- DailyMed - TESTOSTERONE- testosterone gel, metered - July 3rd, 2015
- Testosterone Gel Treatment of Gynecomastia | eHow - April 6th, 2015
- Why Repros Therapeutics, Inc. Shares Are Soaring - April 2nd, 2015
- Low T Treatment | FORTESTA (testosterone) Gel CIII - March 17th, 2015
- Testosterone Gel - How RS Transaderm makes your test ... - March 12th, 2015
- MEDICATION GUIDE Testosterone (tes-TOS-te-rn) Gel, CIII - March 12th, 2015
- High testosterone ups heart disease risk in men - March 10th, 2015
- Men's heart disease risk linked to high testosterone and low estrogen - March 9th, 2015
- Higher heart disease risk for men due to high testosterone, low estrogen - March 9th, 2015
- Vital Health, Inc. Provides Tips On How To Combat Cystic Acne Through Dietary Changes and Natural Remedies - February 20th, 2015
- Men, women: Why cholesterol matters - January 30th, 2015
- Gilead rival AbbVie's new hepatitis C treatment wins EU approval - January 20th, 2015
- Testosterone Gel A Convenient, Natural Solution - December 30th, 2014
- Doctor's Testosterone Gel - Buy Doctors Testosterone Gel ... - December 28th, 2014
- DailyMed - ANDROGEL- testosterone gel - November 25th, 2014
- Endo Int'l Buys Rights To Natesto Testosterone Nasal Gel From Trimel BioPharma - November 25th, 2014
- Secaucus police officer charged with selling steroid gel on eBay: officials - November 18th, 2014
- What Are the Benefits of Testosterone Gel? | eHow - November 2nd, 2014
- AbbVie Sales Blow Past Expectations - October 31st, 2014
- Buy Cernos Gel, Buy Testosterone Gel from Certified Online ... - October 28th, 2014
- testosterone gel (Androgel): Drug Facts, Side Effects and ... - October 3rd, 2014
- Woman Says Dentists Testosterone Gel Rubbed Off On Her During Sexual Attack, Causing Her To Grow Unsightly Body Hair - September 30th, 2014
- Androxal superior to Androgel in Phase 3 trial - September 27th, 2014
- 'When I look at myself I am not impressed at all' - August 2nd, 2014
- Don't Make This Big Investing Mistake Once Interest Rates Start Rising - August 2nd, 2014
- Why Isn't This Swirling Low in the Atlantic a Tropical Storm? - August 2nd, 2014
- As Political Disenchantment Soars, Lines At The Polls Grow Shorter - July 26th, 2014
- Love Letters: We Don't Have Much To Talk About - July 26th, 2014
- Wonkblog: Britains economy is finally bigger than it was in 2008. What took so long? - July 26th, 2014
- Wounded veteran is standing tall, looking to the future - July 6th, 2014
- Testosterone Nasal Gel Claims To Help Women Reach Orgasm (And Has 'No Side Effects') - June 18th, 2014
- Book Extract: Set ambitious targets to win - June 2nd, 2014
- Double Blessing For Trimel Pharma... - May 31st, 2014
- Testosterone Gels - May 1st, 2014
- Andractim Testosterone Gel for Testosterone Replacement ... - April 30th, 2014
- AUXL Gives Bleak Outlook, IG Reverses Loss, ENDP Opens Wallet, BOTA Stops Work - April 30th, 2014
- How to Apply Testosterone Gel - 31 Day Testosterone Plan - Video - April 22nd, 2014
- Is Your Husband At Risk for a Testosterone Heart Attack? - April 16th, 2014
- Testosterone Cypionate | Best Testosterone Supplments - April 14th, 2014
- Low T Litigation - Video - April 2nd, 2014
- Perrigo sues FDA over failure to grant therapeutic equivalence rating for testosterone gel - March 24th, 2014
- Testosterone Monograph for Professionals - Drugs.com - March 7th, 2014
- Could the male hormone testosterone transform a woman's looks, life and libido? - March 6th, 2014
- Group wants heart attack warning on testosterone - Quincy Herald-Whig | Illinois & Missouri News, Sports - February 25th, 2014
- Startling Effects of Testosterone Therapy - February 8th, 2014
- Questions & Answers 195 - Video - February 5th, 2014
- Testosterone Tx Ups Heart Attack Risk at Any Age - January 31st, 2014
- Testosterone Treatments Linked to Heart Attacks - January 30th, 2014
- Testosterone gel: Indications, Side Effects, Warnings ... - January 23rd, 2014
- Testosterone Gel Vs. Patch | eHow - eHow | How to Videos ... - December 24th, 2013
- AndroGel (Testosterone Gel for Topical Use) Drug Information ... - December 24th, 2013
- Best Natural Testosterone Booster (Get FREE Bottle) - Video - December 23rd, 2013
- Female Sexual Desire Drug Rejected by U.S. Regulators - December 12th, 2013
- Manufacturers of "female Viagra" appeal FDA denial - December 12th, 2013
- Side Effects of AndroGel (Testosterone Gel for Topical Use ... - December 10th, 2013
- Testosterone Gel Treatment | eHow - eHow | How to Videos ... - December 6th, 2013
- Testosterone Gels | Do They Work? - December 5th, 2013
- Testosterone skin gel: Information from Answers.com - November 28th, 2013
- AndroGel testosterone gel New FDA Drug Approval | CenterWatch - November 23rd, 2013
- What is Testosterone Gel? | Consumer Health PanelConsumer ... - November 18th, 2013
Word Count: 1365