A landmark study suggests that testosterone treatment is no fountain of youth, finding mostly modest improvement in the sex lives, walking strength and mood of a select group of older men.
The long-awaited results from a rigorous, government-funded study are the first solid evidence of whether these hugely popular supplements can help treat low sex drive, lack of energy and other symptoms sometimes blamed on aging.
The researchers emphasized that the findings pertain only to use of testosterone gel by men 65 and older with low hormone levels and related symptoms; whether similar benefits would occur in younger men or with testosterone pills, patches or shots is unknown.
Also, the research was not extensive enough to determine whether long-term use raises the risk of heart attacks and prostate cancer, as some studies have suggested.
Lead author Dr. Peter Snyder, a University of Pennsylvania hormone specialist, said it would be premature to recommend the treatment even for men like those studied.
"Making a recommendation depends on knowing all the benefits versus risks," he said. "We still don't know everything we want to know."
Testosterone-boosting drugs have been heavily advertised, but health officials say there's little evidence they do any good for most of the men w...
The study involved almost 800 men 65 and older at 12 centers nationwide. All had low blood levels of testosterone, the main male sex hormone. They were randomly assigned to use testosterone gel or fake gel without hormones, rubbed daily on the skin for a year. They had to fill out questionnaires and take a six-minute walking test.
The study design is considered the most rigorous, gold-standard type of research.
Improvement in sex lives was modest among the testosterone group, and the benefits in erectile function were less that what has been seen with Viagra and similar drugs. The men on testosterone had slightly greater improvement in mood and walking strength than the other men, but there was no difference in energy boost between the two groups.
The research is among seven testosterone studies the National Institute on Aging launched in 2009 to examine the risks and benefits of testosterone supplements widely marketed on television to men with "low T."
Testosterone levels typically decline with age. Supplements are approved only for treating testosterone deficiency caused by certain medical conditions, such as problems with the testes, but they have become a multibillion-dollar industry, feeding on aging men's desire to remain youthful. The men in the study did not have any of those specified conditions.
The new research combines results from three of the government-funded studies. Results are expected later from the four other studies, which tested the hormone's effects on mental function, bone density, heart function and anemia.
The current results are in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine.
The findings "bring some real rigor" to questions surrounding testosterone use and suggest that the treatment is "not a panacea" for age-related ills, said Dr. Eric Orwoll, a physician-researcher at Oregon Health and Science University in Portland.
On average, the testosterone increased men's hormone levels to what would be normal for someone 19 to 40 years old.
About 20 percent of testosterone men reported much improved sexual desire, and 30 percent reported a slight improvement, but almost half reported no change. Less than one-third of the fake-gel men reported any improvement in sexual desire.
On the walking test, testosterone and placebo men showed similar improvements when the comparison was only among men who started out with low scores. When the comparison was expanded to include other study men, about 21 percent of testosterone men achieved the walking goal versus about 13 percent of those on a placebo.
Snyder said those findings suggest but don't prove that the hormone builds muscles and increases strength and energy.
Testosterone therapy may be gaining in popularity, but a new UCLA study found that within 90 days of starting treatment, the risk of heart attack...
Still, concerns remain over the therapy's safety.
In 2014, a UCLA study found that the risk of heart attack more than doubled in men aged 65 and older within 90 days of starting testosterone therapy. In men younger than 65, with a history of heart disease, the risk almost tripled.
"We don't know very much about this therapy," Dr. Steve Nissen, a cardiologist at the Cleveland Clinic, told CBS News chief medical correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook when that study came out. "What's going on is a giant experiment with American men's health at stake because we don't have the long-term data on the safety of these products."
The men in the current study didn't learn until it was over whether they had been given testosterone or the fake gel.
Dave Bostick, who participated in the study at the University of Pittsburgh, said that as soon as he stopped using the gel he correctly guessed he had gotten the real thing. Bostick, 71, a retired vocational rehab counselor, said his low mood and energy level improved "a little bit" during the study but suddenly worsened afterward.
He said he has resumed using testosterone at his doctor's recommendation and isn't overly concerned about the potential risks.
"Something's going to get me sooner or later," Bostick said.
A small number of men had heart attacks or were diagnosed with prostate cancer during or after the study, but the rates were similar between the two groups. Dr. Richard Hodes, director of the National Institute on Aging, said the agency is awaiting results from the additional testosterone studies to determine whether to pursue research on potential long-term risks.
ABBVie Pharmaceuticals provided its AndroGel for the study and helped pay for the research but was otherwise not involved.
Company spokeswoman Libby Holman called the research "an important contribution" to understanding the role of testosterone therapy.
The rest is here:
Contact Us Now
- What Causes Dark Circles Under Your Eyes? - May 16th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - February 11th, 2020
- Tefina nasal gel claims to boost number of orgasms a woman can have - June 18th, 2019
- Testosterone cream and gel for supplementation treating hypogonadism - April 9th, 2019
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 1st, 2018
- Testosterone Gel Information - July 18th, 2018
- Testosterone gel - Drugs dot com - August 16th, 2016
- LowTestosterone.com - Testosterone Gel - August 11th, 2016
- AndroGel testosterone gel - Drug information from MediLexicon - June 15th, 2016
- Side Effects of Testim (Testosterone Gel) Drug Center - RxList - May 5th, 2016
- DailyMed - TESTIM - testosterone gel - May 3rd, 2016
- DailyMed - TESTOSTERONE- testosterone gel - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Gel & Testicular Shrinkage! - October 24th, 2015
- Testim (Testosterone Gel) Drug Information: Medication ... - October 24th, 2015
- Low Thyroid Level Symptoms | HagglundMD.com Thyroid Doctor - September 26th, 2015
- List Of Low-Carb Doctors - September 25th, 2015
- AndroGel (testosterone gel) - August 12th, 2015
- AndroGel® (Testosterone Gel) 1.62% - August 2nd, 2015
- Testim gel: Indications, Side Effects, Warnings - Drugs.com - July 3rd, 2015
- Testim (Testosterone Gel) Drug Information: Description ... - July 3rd, 2015
- DailyMed - TESTOSTERONE- testosterone gel, metered - July 3rd, 2015
- number one testosterone booster , testosteron booster , testosterone gel , booster testosterone - Video - May 5th, 2015
- natural testosterone boosting , natural testosterone gel , best testosterone supplements - Video - May 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone Gel Treatment of Gynecomastia | eHow - April 6th, 2015
- Why Repros Therapeutics, Inc. Shares Are Soaring - April 2nd, 2015
- Low T Treatment | FORTESTA (testosterone) Gel CIII - March 17th, 2015
- Testosterone Gel - How RS Transaderm makes your test ... - March 12th, 2015
- MEDICATION GUIDE Testosterone (tes-TOS-te-rn) Gel, CIII - March 12th, 2015
- High testosterone ups heart disease risk in men - March 10th, 2015
- Men's heart disease risk linked to high testosterone and low estrogen - March 9th, 2015
- Higher heart disease risk for men due to high testosterone, low estrogen - March 9th, 2015
- Vital Health, Inc. Provides Tips On How To Combat Cystic Acne Through Dietary Changes and Natural Remedies - February 20th, 2015
- Men, women: Why cholesterol matters - January 30th, 2015
- Gilead rival AbbVie's new hepatitis C treatment wins EU approval - January 20th, 2015
- Testosterone Gel A Convenient, Natural Solution - December 30th, 2014
- Doctor's Testosterone Gel - Buy Doctors Testosterone Gel ... - December 28th, 2014
- DailyMed - ANDROGEL- testosterone gel - November 25th, 2014
- Endo Int'l Buys Rights To Natesto Testosterone Nasal Gel From Trimel BioPharma - November 25th, 2014
- Secaucus police officer charged with selling steroid gel on eBay: officials - November 18th, 2014
- What Are the Benefits of Testosterone Gel? | eHow - November 2nd, 2014
- AbbVie Sales Blow Past Expectations - October 31st, 2014
- Buy Cernos Gel, Buy Testosterone Gel from Certified Online ... - October 28th, 2014
- testosterone gel (Androgel): Drug Facts, Side Effects and ... - October 3rd, 2014
- Woman Says Dentists Testosterone Gel Rubbed Off On Her During Sexual Attack, Causing Her To Grow Unsightly Body Hair - September 30th, 2014
- Androxal superior to Androgel in Phase 3 trial - September 27th, 2014
- 'When I look at myself I am not impressed at all' - August 2nd, 2014
- Don't Make This Big Investing Mistake Once Interest Rates Start Rising - August 2nd, 2014
- Why Isn't This Swirling Low in the Atlantic a Tropical Storm? - August 2nd, 2014
- As Political Disenchantment Soars, Lines At The Polls Grow Shorter - July 26th, 2014
- Love Letters: We Don't Have Much To Talk About - July 26th, 2014
- Wonkblog: Britains economy is finally bigger than it was in 2008. What took so long? - July 26th, 2014
- Wounded veteran is standing tall, looking to the future - July 6th, 2014
- Testosterone Nasal Gel Claims To Help Women Reach Orgasm (And Has 'No Side Effects') - June 18th, 2014
- Book Extract: Set ambitious targets to win - June 2nd, 2014
- Double Blessing For Trimel Pharma... - May 31st, 2014
- Testosterone Gels - May 1st, 2014
- Andractim Testosterone Gel for Testosterone Replacement ... - April 30th, 2014
- AUXL Gives Bleak Outlook, IG Reverses Loss, ENDP Opens Wallet, BOTA Stops Work - April 30th, 2014
- How to Apply Testosterone Gel - 31 Day Testosterone Plan - Video - April 22nd, 2014
- Is Your Husband At Risk for a Testosterone Heart Attack? - April 16th, 2014
- Testosterone Cypionate | Best Testosterone Supplments - April 14th, 2014
- Low T Litigation - Video - April 2nd, 2014
- Perrigo sues FDA over failure to grant therapeutic equivalence rating for testosterone gel - March 24th, 2014
- Testosterone Monograph for Professionals - Drugs.com - March 7th, 2014
- Could the male hormone testosterone transform a woman's looks, life and libido? - March 6th, 2014
- Group wants heart attack warning on testosterone - Quincy Herald-Whig | Illinois & Missouri News, Sports - February 25th, 2014
- Startling Effects of Testosterone Therapy - February 8th, 2014
- Questions & Answers 195 - Video - February 5th, 2014
- Testosterone Tx Ups Heart Attack Risk at Any Age - January 31st, 2014
- Testosterone Treatments Linked to Heart Attacks - January 30th, 2014
- Testosterone gel: Indications, Side Effects, Warnings ... - January 23rd, 2014
- Testosterone Gel Vs. Patch | eHow - eHow | How to Videos ... - December 24th, 2013
- AndroGel (Testosterone Gel for Topical Use) Drug Information ... - December 24th, 2013
- Best Natural Testosterone Booster (Get FREE Bottle) - Video - December 23rd, 2013
- Female Sexual Desire Drug Rejected by U.S. Regulators - December 12th, 2013
- Manufacturers of "female Viagra" appeal FDA denial - December 12th, 2013
- Side Effects of AndroGel (Testosterone Gel for Topical Use ... - December 10th, 2013
- Testosterone Gel Treatment | eHow - eHow | How to Videos ... - December 6th, 2013
- Testosterone Gels | Do They Work? - December 5th, 2013
- Testosterone skin gel: Information from Answers.com - November 28th, 2013
Word Count: 965