The amygdala is the center of emotional activity in the brain, but recent studies have shown that it’s powered by motivation rather than the emotions themselves.
This conclusion came from research into the hormone testosterone.
Testosterone ramps up amygdala activity when we approach a socially dangerous situation and lessens the activity when these situations are avoided.
It was a known fact that the amygdala reaction to images of angry faces was more intense in someone who had received testosterone.
This new study shows that this only happens when people approach angry faces and not when they avoid them.
Testosterone or placebo
In a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, 54 young healthy women were given 0.5 mg of testosterone (or a placebo) four hours before a brain scan.
This amount is a far lower dose than used for a sex change treatment, or as a supplement for athletes, but it is enough to have a measurable effect on brain activity.
Happy or angry
While in the MRI-scanner, the participants were shown photos of happy and angry faces and were asked to give a sign of rejection (avoiding) or approach (moving towards).
People usually have less of a problem approaching someone who looks friendly and non-threatening than someone who looks angry.
Approaching an angry face requires considerable more effort and control.
The reaction times confirmed this as they were slower than when an angry face approached.
Meanwhile, the researchers measured amygdala activity.
The activity was greater in women who had been given testosterone only when they approached angry faces, and only then.
Amygdala and motivation
“Previous research has shown that higher testosterone levels lead to an intensified amygdala reaction in the presence of angry faces,” says Karin Roelofs, Professor of Experimental Psychopathology at the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition, and Behaviour, Radboud University.
“Those earlier investigations looked at what happens in non-active situations and not during an action.
The focus was on what you should do if you see an angry face.
The theory is that testosterone assists social approach by specifically activating the amygdalae only if a social approach is wanted.
There are two reasons why this is intriguing.
First, it explains previous research that concluded testosterone makes approaching a social threat easier.
Second, and far more important, it demonstrated that the amygdalae are not necessarily linked to emotions, but rather to motivation.
Most studies completely ignore motivation.
We are the first to show that the impact of testosterone on amygdala response depends on the motivational context.”
What about cases of social anxiety?
“We’re now going to repeat this study in people with social anxieties.
We have already discovered that these people have lower testosterone levels.
We are going consider how we can apply these results with testosterone to improving the treatment of anxiety disorders” Dr. Roelofs concluded.
Contact Us Now
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost Your Testosterone Levels - May 22nd, 2018
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - May 17th, 2018
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - May 16th, 2018
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - May 16th, 2018
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - May 9th, 2018
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - May 5th, 2018
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - May 3rd, 2018
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - May 2nd, 2018
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - May 1st, 2018
- Testosterone Nasal Gel: A New Form of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 1st, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Boosts Aerobic Capacity - December 9th, 2017
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) reduces the risk of serious adverse health consequences! - December 8th, 2017
- Oral Testosterone Pill Could Make Lipocine's share price SKYROCKET - December 2nd, 2017
- Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the arteries) in Older Men - November 25th, 2017
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT cause prostate cancer to spread - November 18th, 2017
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - November 17th, 2017
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone. - November 11th, 2017
- The testosterone industry globally is booming - November 10th, 2017
- Five Benefits of Testosterone that you need to know - November 4th, 2017
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - October 26th, 2017
- The Effects of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels - October 14th, 2017
- Baby Boomers find “The Fountain of Youth” in Testosterone - October 9th, 2017
- The Truth About Testosterone | The Dr. Oz Show - June 9th, 2016
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - June 9th, 2016
- How Men Work | HowStuffWorks - May 28th, 2016
- 6 Ways to Increase Testosterone Levels Naturally - wikiHow - May 4th, 2016
- Testosterone: Common Questions | Testosterone Test: Total ... - May 4th, 2016
- Adrenalast Testosterone Booster | Boost Muscle Sexual ... - April 6th, 2016
- How to Lower Testosterone in Women | eHow - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Booster Reviews - Consumers Guides - February 8th, 2016
- A Harvard expert shares his thoughts on testosterone ... - February 8th, 2016
- Buy Steroids Online | Anabolic Steroids for Sale ... - February 8th, 2016
- Myokem Magnitropin, Testosterone Boosting King, Safe and ... - February 8th, 2016
- Does Andro 400 Work; does it increase testosterone? - February 8th, 2016
- All About Testosterone! - Bodybuilding.com - February 8th, 2016
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - January 28th, 2016
- 5 Natural Testosterone Boosters - Healthline - November 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone - Low-T and Androgen Replacement Therapy - November 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - October 26th, 2015
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - October 24th, 2015
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - October 24th, 2015
- Effect of vitamin D supplementation on testosterone levels ... - October 17th, 2015
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - October 12th, 2015
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - October 10th, 2015
- Testosterone nasal gel works best at three doses a day, study finds - October 4th, 2015
- Testosterone: The Test | Testosterone Test: Total ... - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone: A Major Breakthrough for Menopausal Women - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - October 1st, 2015
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - September 30th, 2015
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - September 28th, 2015
- Low-T and Your Health - September 25th, 2015
- Testosterone and Geriatric Frailty - September 19th, 2015
- Seven Types of Drugs that Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - September 19th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Treatment, Low T - AXIRON (testosterone ... - September 16th, 2015
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - September 16th, 2015
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - September 15th, 2015
- Testosterone - Steroids Profile - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Articles! - Bodybuilding.com - September 1st, 2015
- High and Low Testosterone Levels in Men MedicineNet - September 1st, 2015
- Nugenix Testosterone Booster NUGENIX GNC - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Transdermal Patch: MedlinePlus Drug Information - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Booster - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage ... - September 1st, 2015
- You & Your Hormones | Hormones | Testosterone - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - August 12th, 2015
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - August 11th, 2015
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - August 8th, 2015
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - August 8th, 2015
- Health portal - August 3rd, 2015
- Physiology of Testosterone - August 1st, 2015
- Normal Testosterone Levels - Urology - MedHelp - July 26th, 2015
- Tribulus Terrestris Review Does It Raise Testosterone or ... - July 18th, 2015
- Lack of Energy May Mean Lack of Testosterone - DrAxe.com - July 18th, 2015
- How to Increase Testosterone Naturally: PaleoEdge - July 15th, 2015
- How to Deal with Testosterone Decline - Mercola.com - July 8th, 2015
- Testosterone Cypionate Watson :: Buy Testosterone ... - July 4th, 2015
- What Traders’ Testosterone Tells Us About Markets - June 11th, 2015
- Clomiphene Citrate (Clomid) in Men - A Testosterone ... - May 26th, 2015
- Bio-Identical HRT and Testosterone Therapy in Women ... - May 24th, 2015
- Depo-Testosterone Inj - Uses, Side Effects, Interactions ... - May 24th, 2015
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - May 8th, 2015