Video Download: Baby Boomers Find The Fountain Of Youth In Testosterone.zip
Video Stream: Baby Boomers Find The Fountain Of Youth In Testosterone
For thousands of years, explorers, beginning with Ponce de Leon, have been searching for the "Fountain of Youth."
No one knows if the fountain exists, or what the source of its restorative power is.
It's been called everything from the "water of life" to the "elixir of immortality."
These days, anti-aging specialists simply refer to it as "T."
You'd think T, or testosterone, was pure magic from its highly touted benefits: a blast of increased energy, razor-sharp mental focus, blowtorch fat, piling on muscle, the ability to induce deep, restorative sleep and a raging libido.
But experts say altering your body's natural hormone levels can be risky if not done correctly.
As more FDA-approved products hit the market, the baby boomer generation is living up to its reputation as the “eternally young” generation and jumping on the anti-aging bandwagon.
In 2011, consumers spent approximately $1.6 billion on Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT), almost triple the amount spent in 2006, according to market research company IMS Health.
Dr. Harvey Bartnof is the founder of the California Longevity & Vitality Medical Institute.
His practice focuses on life extension medicine and hormone replacement therapies for both men and women.
He says patients come to him to slow the aging process; they want to remain active and engaged in progress into their later years.
"People would rather not go down the pathway of mom and dad if they don't have to."
'Viagra for the boardroom.'
Testosterone is naturally produced primarily through a man's testes. (The hormone is also found in women, but in far lesser amounts.)
The hormone helps regulate a wide array of functions; bone density, fat accumulation, muscle tone and strength, red blood cell production, sex drive, and sperm production, according to the Mayo Clinic.
Bartnof compares it to oil in a machine.
While other systems make your body "go," hormones such as testosterone grease the wheels, so they work smoothly.
The body's production of testosterone peaks in early adulthood and typically declines about 1% each year after age 30, according to the Mayo Clinic website.
A low testosterone level is called hypoandrogenism.
Symptoms of hypoandrogenism include insomnia, fewer erections, reduced muscle strength, depression, trouble concentrating and hair loss.
The 48-year-old financial planner first started feeling the effects of his age a few years ago.
As the founder of an Illinois wealth management firm, he was managing multiple clients' portfolios a day in the ever-increasing faster pace of the financial markets.
He found his concentration started to fade earlier, even when he made an effort to take care of himself by exercising more often and paying more attention to what he was eating.
"Being in the business that I'm in, you need to be on top of your game," Freiburger says. "For a lot of men, it's like, 'Oh yeah, I'm getting old.' I'm not very good at accepting that it's the way it needs to be."
Up until a few years ago, testosterone was mostly the choice of competitive bodybuilders and professional athletes.
TRT comes in many forms, according to Nelson Vergel, author of "Testosterone: A Man's Guide."
The hormone can be injected into the muscle, absorbed through the skin via a cream/gel, or released slowly through a small pellet inserted into the body.
A doctor does regular blood tests to determine the correct dosage.
Freiburger saw results just two days after beginning his hormone therapy.
First, his energy levels skyrocketed. Then he saw an increase in his concentration level at work.
Soon after, his libido returned, and within a month he was losing weight and putting on muscle at the gym.
"I'm a better person. I'm a better wealth manager," he said. "(I) have the energy, vitality to go conquer the world."
However, it is not the “Fountain of Youth.”
You probably know that there's no magic pill for perfect health.
While direct-to-consumer marketing may make it seem otherwise, testosterone is no exception, Vergel says.
"I'm just amazed how many men start a hormone without doing research," he says.
"It's a wonderful thing to start if you need it. It also has some side effects if not done properly."
It will also improve your sex drive; what it won't do, Vergel says, is make you into a raging teenager again.
A 2004 study showed nearly 20% of patients might not respond sufficiently to testosterone therapies.
And the benefits from testosterone can plateau anywhere from six weeks to one year into treatment.
One of the biggest things to be aware of is that most men never stop testosterone replacement therapy, says Dr. Gregory Broderick, a urologist with the Mayo Clinic.
He explains that once you start, your body begins shutting down natural production of the hormone, thinking it's no longer needed.
This can lead to "shrinkage" of the testicles and a suppression of sperm production.
Broderick says finding a qualified doctor is critical.
Anti-aging is a new field, and even though it is growing by leaps and bounds, most doctors are not trained in hormone therapy, so they learn as they go from pharmaceutical reps and the latest published research.
TRT is often done by physicians who specialize in "boutique medicine."
Once you find a physician, he or she should screen for prostate cancer before starting treatment.
While studies have shown testosterone replacement therapies do not increase the likelihood of developing cancer, they can encourage tumor growth if a patient already has it.
Broderick recommends getting blood work done every three to four months after beginning testosterone therapy.
Men taking testosterone have increased levels of red blood cells, which can lead to complications with circulation, depriving areas of the body of oxygen, and potentially put them at risk for cardiovascular problems.
On average, testosterone replacement therapy costs less than $40 a month.
But many baby boomers, such as Freiburger, are using it as part of a more expensive holistic approach that includes exercise, nutritional supplements, nootropics (smart pills and drugs) and stress reduction that will (hopefully) allow them to stay healthy into their senior years...and they say it's worth every penny.
"I would like to have as much quality of life and be as vital as I can as long as the Lord's going to have me on this earth," Freiburger says.
"I'm going to take the time and financial resources to try to make that a reality."
Notice how the article emphasizes that the key is finding a qualified doctor that specializes in boutique medicine. That description fits our clinic to a T. Contact us.
Word Count: 1181
Contact Us Now
- New Study Finds That Testosterone Does Not Increase Cardiovascular Risk - September 7th, 2018
- Eleven Foods that Can Drain Your Libido - September 6th, 2018
- Some Animal Research Suggests that High Testosterone May Increase Prostate Cancer Risk - September 6th, 2018
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - August 27th, 2018
- Physiology of Testosterone - August 26th, 2018
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - August 26th, 2018
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - August 26th, 2018
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - August 26th, 2018
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - August 21st, 2018
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - August 19th, 2018
- Testosterone and Geriatric Frailty - August 18th, 2018
- Seven Types of Drugs That Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - August 18th, 2018
- Low-T and Your Health - August 17th, 2018
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - August 9th, 2018
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - August 5th, 2018
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - August 5th, 2018
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - August 3rd, 2018
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - August 2nd, 2018
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 1st, 2018
- The Effects of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels - July 10th, 2018
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - July 9th, 2018
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - June 26th, 2018
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone - June 26th, 2018
- Five Benefits of Testosterone That You Need to Know - June 26th, 2018
- The Testosterone Industry Globally is Booming - June 26th, 2018
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Prostate Cancer to Spread - June 3rd, 2018
- Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries) in Older Men - May 31st, 2018
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - May 31st, 2018
- Oral Testosterone Pill Could Make Lipocine's Share Price SKYROCKET - May 31st, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Reduces the Risk of Serious Adverse Health Consequences! - May 25th, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Boosts Aerobic Capacity - May 23rd, 2018
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost Your Testosterone Levels - May 22nd, 2018
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - May 17th, 2018
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - May 16th, 2018
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - May 9th, 2018
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - May 5th, 2018
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - May 3rd, 2018
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - May 2nd, 2018
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - May 1st, 2018
- Testosterone Nasal Gel: A New Form of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 1st, 2018
- The Truth About Testosterone | The Dr. Oz Show - June 9th, 2016
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - June 9th, 2016
- How Men Work | HowStuffWorks - May 28th, 2016
- 6 Ways to Increase Testosterone Levels Naturally - wikiHow - May 4th, 2016
- Testosterone: Common Questions | Testosterone Test: Total ... - May 4th, 2016
- Adrenalast Testosterone Booster | Boost Muscle Sexual ... - April 6th, 2016
- How to Lower Testosterone in Women | eHow - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Booster Reviews - Consumers Guides - February 8th, 2016
- A Harvard expert shares his thoughts on testosterone ... - February 8th, 2016
- Does Andro 400 Work; does it increase testosterone? - February 8th, 2016
- All About Testosterone! - Bodybuilding.com - February 8th, 2016
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - January 28th, 2016
- 5 Natural Testosterone Boosters - Healthline - November 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone - Low-T and Androgen Replacement Therapy - November 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - October 26th, 2015
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - October 24th, 2015
- Effect of vitamin D supplementation on testosterone levels ... - October 17th, 2015
- Testosterone nasal gel works best at three doses a day, study finds - October 4th, 2015
- Testosterone: The Test | Testosterone Test: Total ... - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone: A Major Breakthrough for Menopausal Women - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - October 1st, 2015
- Low Testosterone Treatment, Low T - AXIRON (testosterone ... - September 16th, 2015
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - September 16th, 2015
- Testosterone - Steroids Profile - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Articles! - Bodybuilding.com - September 1st, 2015
- High and Low Testosterone Levels in Men MedicineNet - September 1st, 2015
- Nugenix Testosterone Booster NUGENIX GNC - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Transdermal Patch: MedlinePlus Drug Information - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Booster - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage ... - September 1st, 2015
- You & Your Hormones | Hormones | Testosterone - September 1st, 2015
- Health portal - August 3rd, 2015
- Normal Testosterone Levels - Urology - MedHelp - July 26th, 2015
- Tribulus Terrestris Review Does It Raise Testosterone or ... - July 18th, 2015
- Lack of Energy May Mean Lack of Testosterone - DrAxe.com - July 18th, 2015
- How to Increase Testosterone Naturally: PaleoEdge - July 15th, 2015
- How to Deal with Testosterone Decline - Mercola.com - July 8th, 2015
- Testosterone Cypionate Watson :: Buy Testosterone ... - July 4th, 2015
- What Traders’ Testosterone Tells Us About Markets - June 11th, 2015
- Clomiphene Citrate (Clomid) in Men - A Testosterone ... - May 26th, 2015
- Bio-Identical HRT and Testosterone Therapy in Women ... - May 24th, 2015