This is a relevant article you must read because aging isn't the only primary source of why testosterone decline occurs in men.
An exciting men's health data research examination on the male endocrine system discovered that common declines in testosterone score, ranging over the years, decades, and one's lifespan, is more probable to occur from a man's lifestyle, health, and behavioral changes, than by only aging itself.
This doesn't mean that a man's testosterone decline isn't linked to aging, because it is, but behavior and lifestyle choices are thought to have a significant impact on a man's testosterone, more than thought before if this study holds up in the test of time.
Dr. Gary Wittert, MD, Testosterone Research Specialist and Medical Professor
The research examination and study conducted by co-author Dr. Gary Wittert, M.D., lead professor of medicine at the University of Adelaide in Adelaide, Australia, stated that “Testosterone changes are largely explained by smoking behavior, and changes in health status, particularly obesity and depression.” and “Declining testosterone levels are not an inevitable part of the aging process, as many people think."
The research results of this study will be delivered at the beginning of the workweek in Houston at The Endocrine Society's ninety-fourth annual meeting.
The Endocrine Society, which is nearly a century old, is one of the most prestigious organizations for investigating advances in our knowledge within the science of endocrinology.
The last hundred years have seen a quantum leap in our understanding of how the human endocrine system works, and testosterone is one of the most fascinating hormones. Even today, new studies are revealing some of its amazing properties in balancing the wellness of humans.
The article and presentation reveal some fascinating insights:
Deleterious, life-changing declining Testosterone levels, are not necessarily, par for the course in human aging processes, as many doctors previously thought, said Dr. Wittert.
Testosterone decline can be very strongly correlated with unhealthy behaviors, such as smoking for instance. There are even studies linking alcohol use to declining testosterone levels.
Lifestyle behaviors, diet, attitude toward life, and aging all play significant roles in Testosterone health. Everyone knows a "horny old man," so this idea that testosterone deficiency is a guarantee doesn't always hold for everyone.
There is a tendency to always blame aging on men having low levels of the sex hormone Testosterone, but sometimes, aging is not the main culprit. A lack of exercise can often be the missing ingredient, more sleep, and a diet that fires up the metabolism.
This study by Dr. Willert was critical because the number of long-range population-based research studies on testosterone in men, tracked over decades, is not as common as previously believed.
The Testosterone Research Study
How Dr. Willert and cohorts conducted the scholarly evaluation:
"In this study, supported by the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia, the authors analyzed testosterone measurements in more than 1,500 men who had measurements taken at two clinic visits five years apart. All blood testosterone samples underwent testing at the same time for each time point, according to Wittert.
After the researchers excluded from the analysis any men who had abnormal lab values or who were taking medications or had medical conditions known to affect hormones, they included 1,382 men in the data analysis. Men ranged in age from 35 to 80 years, with an average age of 54."
On average, measured testosterone scores, surprisingly, did not drop by any significant amount over five years. They tended to decrease by less than 1% each calendar year, according to the medical scientists who authored the research paper.
However, in subgroups, they did find factors that caused testosterone levels to decline more significantly, and these were linked to lifestyle and behaviors, not aging. Thus how one conducted their life, rather than aging, seemed to have the ability to accelerate Testosterone decline.
It's NO shocker, the guys that became obese, smoked, or had mental health issues like depression. So even something like one's attitude on life could affect testosterone.
One shocker in the study was that men who quit smoking actually in the short run declined some in their testosterone, but Dr. Willert suggested the health benefits of quitting smoking far outweigh the slight testosterone decline. No one had expected that in the short term quitting smoking could cause one's T to dip.
There have been past research studies that linked low-t (low testosterone) with depression, but they were not publicized as much as they are now.
Mental health has a strong correlation with declining T levels.
Testosterone is linked to fertility, too much or too little, can affect one's fertility, so getting to that optimal range is essential. Testosterone is also vital for maintaining body composition and sex drive.
Obesity is a testosterone killer. The worst thing a man or woman can do is allow themselves to gain a high body fat percentage; it's something we all must fight tooth and nail.
This is why aging can not be considered the only factor as to why a man has low testosterone. The total 360-degree view is required for a proper diagnosis as to what factors are causing hypogonadism, andropause, or low-t.
According to Dr. Willert, "Unmarried men in the study had more significant testosterone reductions than did married men."
The prevailing thought is that unmarried men would have higher testosterone and more likely to be horny, but this is not the case. Unmarried men have lower testosterone levels, probably due to the likelihood of less sex, and less happiness.
Men are thought to be happier on average and have more sex when they are married versus single, even more, sex than single guys who are "playing the field." It's obviously more complicated than that, but on average, married men have better testosterone levels than unmarried men.
There are a lot of complicated factors to consider, but you get a general idea.
The conclusion of the study is that on average if you want to have better testosterone levels, don't smoke, don't allow yourself to become obese, get married, and stay married, also think really hard about things like exercise, diet, and lifestyle, these things all have a significant impact for the better and can mitigate the ravages of the inevitable aging process and natural testosterone decline.
The research study findings were delivered by Dr. Andre Araugo who was a vice president of epidemiology at the New England Research Institutes, Watertown, MA.
Contact Us Today
- Blocking Testosterone to Defeat Melanoma - August 11th, 2022
- Study Finds that Testosterone Boosts Memory for Uncontrolled Diabetics - June 24th, 2022
- Causes of Low Libido - Could It Be Low-T? - May 30th, 2022
- The Evolutionary Effects of Testosterone on Human Society - September 20th, 2021
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost Your Testosterone Levels - September 7th, 2021
- Men Want to Know – Free Testosterone versus Total Testosterone - August 24th, 2021
- What is testosterone? - May 23rd, 2021
- Tribulus Terrestris Review Does It Raise Testosterone or ... - May 22nd, 2021
- Boosting testosterone levels (First of two parts) - May 8th, 2021
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - May 1st, 2021
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - April 28th, 2021
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - April 25th, 2021
- Deer Antler, HGH and Testosterone: Tim on Scott and BR Radio Show - Video - April 17th, 2021
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - April 14th, 2021
- How Testosterone Affects the Skin of Men - April 11th, 2021
- Testosterone, the Power Hormone - April 8th, 2021
- Testosterone Levels and Wall Street - March 27th, 2021
- Women can resist testosterone-fuelled political debate - March 12th, 2021
- BUSTED: Myths About Testosterone And Its Link To Sexual Desire In Men And Women - March 11th, 2021
- Attention Baby Boomers -- Could Testosterone be the Modern Day "Fountain of Youth?" - March 4th, 2021
- Quick Weight Loss Tips and Diet Recommendations for HRT - February 28th, 2021
- Testosterone and Alcohol: Your Health and the Holiday Season - February 27th, 2021
- Testosterone builds muscle but has risks - February 25th, 2021
- New Study Finds That Testosterone Does Not Increase Cardiovascular Risk - February 22nd, 2021
- Evidence Suggests Testosterone Plays Powerful Role in Motivating Revolutionary Change - February 15th, 2021
- The Effects of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels - January 9th, 2021
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - January 6th, 2021
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - December 25th, 2020
- Testosterone Does Not Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries) in Older Men - December 24th, 2020
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Prostate Cancer to Spread - December 23rd, 2020
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - December 20th, 2020
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone - December 18th, 2020
- The Testosterone Industry Globally is Booming - December 12th, 2020
- Five Benefits of Testosterone That You Need to Know - December 11th, 2020
- Testosterone Nasal Gel: A New Form of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - December 5th, 2020
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - December 3rd, 2020
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - December 3rd, 2020
- Low-T and Your Health - November 30th, 2020
- Low Testosterone Levels may Affect Man's Sex Drive and Affect his Intimate Relationships - November 19th, 2020
- Is Testosterone the New Drug of Choice on Wall Street? How Traders are Using Male Hormone Booster Shots to Maintain a ... - November 12th, 2020
- Shorter course of ADT for high-risk prostate cancer patients yields improved quality of life - November 11th, 2020
- Testosterone Litigation: What You Need To Know - MTMP - Video - November 9th, 2020
- Methadone Lowers Testosterone in Men Only - November 8th, 2020
- Intricate relationship between Oestrogen & Testosterone XXY Guys (Klinefelters' syndrome) - Video - November 7th, 2020
- Should middle-aged men consider 'low T' treatment? - November 5th, 2020
- Testosterone and Crime: What Can Genes Tell Us About Behavior? - Video - October 25th, 2020
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women - October 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone levels seen prior to birth in fetus' fingers, jawline - October 20th, 2020
- Tri-Blend Testosterone. Understanding the Benefits of Testosterone Oils - October 19th, 2020
- Testosterone levels in older men - October 17th, 2020
- Tlando Testosterone Clinical Trial for Low-T and Fatty Liver Disease - October 4th, 2020
- Testosterone Focus in Diabetes Study – Video - September 30th, 2020
- Testshock Review All Natural Testosterone Enhancement – Video - September 30th, 2020
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - September 30th, 2020
- Average Testosterone Levels Decreasing Over Time Among Younger American Men - August 21st, 2020
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 10th, 2020
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - August 6th, 2020
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - August 5th, 2020
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - August 3rd, 2020
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - August 1st, 2020
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - July 29th, 2020
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - July 26th, 2020
- Seven Types of Drugs That Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - July 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone and Geriatric Frailty - July 21st, 2020
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - July 12th, 2020
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - July 12th, 2020
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - July 6th, 2020
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - July 5th, 2020
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - July 4th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Reduces the Risk of Serious Adverse Health Consequences! - June 30th, 2020
- Testosterone not always to blame - Sat, 04 Aug 2012 PST - June 28th, 2020
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - June 27th, 2020
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - June 23rd, 2020
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - June 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Boosts Aerobic Capacity - June 15th, 2020
- Physiology of Testosterone - June 9th, 2020
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - May 26th, 2020
- Dr. Andre Berger on Testosterone Deficiency in Men - Andropause Symptoms and Treatment By Doctor's Desk Series - May 21st, 2020
- How to Raise Testosterone Naturally. Sermorelin - Some Have Called It A The New Fountain of Youth. A Natural Cure for Anxiety and Depression. - May 9th, 2020
- Are Athletes Using Green Tea to Mask Testosterone Doping? - May 7th, 2020
Word Count: 1077