Researchers are beginning to deeply understand the effects that declining testosterone levels have on men as they age, but are less informed regarding how natural life experiences such as fatherhood impact hormone balance and testosterone concentrations.
It is well-understood that women experience significant changes in hormone levels and hormone balance dependent not only upon their age, pregnancy status, and menstrual cycle but as a result of motherhood itself.
Video Download: The Effects Of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels
Video Stream: The Effects Of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels
Men Experience Hormonal Changes During Their Partner's Pregnancy
As we delve deeper into the biological mechanisms of testosterone production, we are beginning to learn that male testosterone levels can be sensitive to these life changes in a similar manner as women experience hormonal change.
For example, it is well-known that pregnant women are likely to experience weight gain, cravings, and mood instability, but men also experience specific psychological and physiological changes as a result of the decline in testosterone directly correlated with impending fatherhood.
In a study conducted by Dr. Robin Edelstein and associates at the University of Michigan, men were swabbed to analyze testosterone levels at specific points during their significant other's pregnancy.
What researchers discovered was that as the birth of the child drew closer, it was significantly correlated with a drop in both estradiol levels and testosterone levels.
Testosterone Decline Due to Fatherhood is Small Yet Significant
It's important to note that the decline in testosterone measured as a result of impending fatherhood is significant, but it is not so extreme as to cause substantial issues associated with Low-T, but researchers feel very confident the decline has at least some effects that benefit men that are about to be caring for a young child.
For example, it is noted that men with higher testosterone are more likely to be interested in multiple partners, and this is also true across primate species. The slight decline in testosterone production may encourage the male to go into a more proactive child-rearing mode, making them more likely to settle down and help raise the child.
It is even hypothesized that this benefit may not only reflect itself toward the child but also toward the mother as well, causing the man to more actively seek to protect and meet the needs of the mother.
Settled Men Have Lower Testosterone than Single Men on Average
Other studies conducted in the recent past have produced similar results.
For example, in one study, it was discovered that men that are in settled relationships, taking care of children with their partner, have suppressed testosterone levels in comparison to their single comrades, that did not experience such suppression.
Both groups experienced some decline in testosterone as a result of aging, but men with children experienced a more pronounced decline. Interestingly enough, testosterone levels seem to be directly associated with the amount of care that the father provides.
In the same study, men that spend less time taking care of children as the kids grow up experience a rebound in testosterone, whereas men that continue to be actively involved experience ongoing suppression.
Other Factors May Contribute to Testosterone Suppression
Of course, correlation is not necessarily causation, so other factors could be at play which leads to or magnify these differences associated with male child-rearing.
There are many variables which can impact testosterone levels, including diet, exercise, finances, health, and the amount of sleep that a man gets.
In future studies, researchers will compare men with expecting partners with other fathers that already have children to reveal more pertinent data about the connection between female pregnancy and male testosterone levels.
There are a wide variety of factors which can suppress testosterone, in addition to age and the family-status of a man.
Studies have shown that over-exertion, sedentary lifestyle, poor nutrition, anxiety, and poor sleep can contribute to low testosterone levels, and it will be essential to evaluate these factors in a controlled study in order to determine how much of the decline associated with future fatherhood is direct as a result of programmed change and how much is the result of changes in lifestyle.
How Can Men Support Healthy Testosterone Levels
Though slight changes in testosterone levels may improve a man's child-rearing ability in the short-term, significant testosterone decline leads to a wide variety of symptoms which suppress health and wellness.
Keeping testosterone concentrations at a healthy level is vitally important to sustaining optimal health, and it's vital to notice the signs of Low-T, which include reduced sex drive, erectile dysfunction, depression, changes in body fat and muscle mass, as well as fatigue and anxiety.
For men with Low-T, improving one's lifestyle can be highly beneficial, but beyond a certain point and age, many men will only respond adequately to bio-identical testosterone therapy.
Contact Us Now
- New Study Finds That Testosterone Does Not Increase Cardiovascular Risk - September 2nd, 2019
- Baby Boomers find “The Fountain of Youth” in Testosterone - September 2nd, 2019
- Dr. Richard Bebb - Testosterone, Diabetes and the Metabolic Syndrome - Video - August 21st, 2019
- Declining Testosterone Levels in Men Not Part of Normal Aging - August 12th, 2019
- Low testosterone levels may affect man's sex drive and affect his intimate relationships - August 11th, 2019
- TEFINA: Nasal Spray That Can Increase Female Orgasms - Video - August 10th, 2019
- Quick Weight Loss Tips and Diet Recommendations for HRT - August 10th, 2019
- Testosterone and Alcohol: Your Health and the Holiday Season - August 9th, 2019
- Testosterone builds muscle but has risks - August 4th, 2019
- Testosterone not always to blame - Sat, 04 Aug 2012 PST - August 4th, 2019
- Testosterone, the Power Hormone - August 1st, 2019
- Behavior and Lifestyle Linked to the Effect of Declining Testosterone, Not Necessarily Natural Aging - July 31st, 2019
- BUSTED: Myths About Testosterone And Its Link To Sexual Desire In Men And Women - July 28th, 2019
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women 0 - July 20th, 2019
- Green tea could mask testosterone doping - July 14th, 2019
- Some experts say testosterone decline is a normal part of aging in men - July 14th, 2019
- The Secret to Guys’ Sex Appeal: Low Stress, High Testosterone, Strong Immunity - July 7th, 2019
- Low on testosterone? No problem - July 7th, 2019
- Testosterone levels seen prior to birth in fetus' fingers, jawline - July 6th, 2019
- Is testosterone the new drug of choice on Wall Street? How traders are using male hormone booster shots to maintain a ... - July 4th, 2019
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - April 21st, 2019
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - April 19th, 2019
- Testosterone Does Not Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries) in Older Men - April 19th, 2019
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Prostate Cancer to Spread - April 19th, 2019
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - April 19th, 2019
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone - April 19th, 2019
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - April 16th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - April 2nd, 2019
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - April 2nd, 2019
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - April 2nd, 2019
- The Testosterone Industry Globally is Booming - April 1st, 2019
- Five Benefits of Testosterone That You Need to Know - March 31st, 2019
- Testosterone Nasal Gel: A New Form of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - March 17th, 2019
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - March 17th, 2019
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - March 17th, 2019
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - March 17th, 2019
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - March 16th, 2019
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - March 16th, 2019
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - March 16th, 2019
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost Your Testosterone Levels - March 15th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Boosts Aerobic Capacity - March 15th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Reduces the Risk of Serious Adverse Health Consequences! - March 15th, 2019
- Eleven Foods that Can Drain Your Libido - September 6th, 2018
- Some Animal Research Suggests that High Testosterone May Increase Prostate Cancer Risk - September 6th, 2018
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - August 27th, 2018
- Physiology of Testosterone - August 26th, 2018
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - August 26th, 2018
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - August 26th, 2018
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - August 26th, 2018
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - August 21st, 2018
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - August 19th, 2018
- Testosterone and Geriatric Frailty - August 18th, 2018
- Seven Types of Drugs That Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - August 18th, 2018
- Low-T and Your Health - August 17th, 2018
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - August 9th, 2018
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - August 5th, 2018
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - August 5th, 2018
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - August 3rd, 2018
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - August 2nd, 2018
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 1st, 2018
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - July 9th, 2018
- Oral Testosterone Pill Could Make Lipocine's Share Price SKYROCKET - March 18th, 2017
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - August 9th, 2016
- The Truth About Testosterone | The Dr. Oz Show - June 9th, 2016
- How Men Work | HowStuffWorks - May 28th, 2016
- 6 Ways to Increase Testosterone Levels Naturally - wikiHow - May 4th, 2016
- Testosterone: Common Questions | Testosterone Test: Total ... - May 4th, 2016
- Adrenalast Testosterone Booster | Boost Muscle Sexual ... - April 6th, 2016
- How to Lower Testosterone in Women | eHow - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Booster Reviews - Consumers Guides - February 8th, 2016
- A Harvard expert shares his thoughts on testosterone ... - February 8th, 2016
- Does Andro 400 Work; does it increase testosterone? - February 8th, 2016
- All About Testosterone! - Bodybuilding.com - February 8th, 2016
- 5 Natural Testosterone Boosters - Healthline - November 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone - Low-T and Androgen Replacement Therapy - November 2nd, 2015
- Effect of vitamin D supplementation on testosterone levels ... - October 17th, 2015
- Testosterone nasal gel works best at three doses a day, study finds - October 4th, 2015
- Testosterone: The Test | Testosterone Test: Total ... - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone: A Major Breakthrough for Menopausal Women - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - October 1st, 2015
Word Count: 814