Researchers are beginning to deeply understand the effects that declining testosterone levels have on men as they age, but are less informed regarding how natural life experiences such as fatherhood impact hormone balance and testosterone concentrations.
It is well-understood that women experience significant changes in hormone levels and hormone balance dependent not only upon their age, pregnancy status, and menstrual cycle but as a result of motherhood itself.
Video Link: https://vimeo.com/282905074
Video Download: The Effects Of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels
Video Stream: The Effects Of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels
Men Experience Hormonal Changes During Their Partner's Pregnancy
As we delve deeper into the biological mechanisms of testosterone production, we are beginning to learn that male testosterone levels can be sensitive to these life changes in a similar manner as women experience hormonal change.
For example, it is well-known that pregnant women are likely to experience weight gain, cravings, and mood instability, but men also experience specific psychological and physiological changes as a result of the decline in testosterone directly correlated with impending fatherhood.
In a study conducted by Dr. Robin Edelstein and associates at the University of Michigan, men were swabbed to analyze testosterone levels at specific points during their significant other's pregnancy.
What researchers discovered was that as the birth of the child drew closer, it was significantly correlated with a drop in both estradiol levels and testosterone levels.
Testosterone Decline Due to Fatherhood is Small Yet Significant
It's important to note that the decline in testosterone measured as a result of impending fatherhood is significant, but it is not so extreme as to cause substantial issues associated with Low-T, but researchers feel very confident the decline has at least some effects that benefit men that are about to be caring for a young child.
For example, it is noted that men with higher testosterone are more likely to be interested in multiple partners, and this is also true across primate species.
The slight decline in testosterone production may encourage the male to go into a more proactive child-rearing mode, making them more likely to settle down and help raise the child.
It is even hypothesized that this benefit may not only reflect itself toward the child but also toward the mother as well, causing the man to more actively seek to protect and meet the needs of the mother.
Settled Men Have Lower Testosterone than Single Men on Average
Other studies conducted in the recent past have produced similar results.
For example, in one study, it was discovered that men that are in settled relationships, taking care of children with their partner, have suppressed testosterone levels in comparison to their single comrades, that did not experience such suppression.
Both groups experienced some decline in testosterone as a result of aging, but men with children experienced a more pronounced decline. Interestingly enough, testosterone levels seem to be directly associated with the amount of care that the father provides.
In the same study, men that spend less time taking care of children as the kids grow up experience a rebound in testosterone, whereas men that continue to be actively involved experience ongoing suppression.
Other Factors May Contribute to Testosterone Suppression
Of course, correlation is not necessarily causation, so other factors could be at play that leads to or magnify these differences associated with male child-rearing.
There are many variables that can impact testosterone levels, including diet, exercise, finances, health, and the amount of sleep that a man gets.
In future studies, researchers will compare men with expecting partners with other fathers that already have children to reveal more pertinent data about the connection between female pregnancy and male testosterone levels.
There are a wide variety of factors that can suppress testosterone, in addition to age and the family-status of a man.
Studies have shown that over-exertion, sedentary lifestyle, poor nutrition, anxiety, and poor sleep can contribute to low testosterone levels, and it will be essential to evaluate these factors in a controlled study in order to determine how much of the decline associated with future fatherhood is direct as a result of programmed change and how much is the result of changes in lifestyle.
How Can Men Support Healthy Testosterone Levels
Though slight changes in testosterone levels may improve a man's child-rearing ability in the short-term, significant testosterone decline leads to a wide variety of symptoms that suppress health and wellness.
Keeping testosterone concentrations at a healthy level is vitally important to sustaining optimal health, and it's vital to notice the signs of Low-T, which include reduced sex drive, erectile dysfunction, depression, changes in body fat and muscle mass, as well as fatigue and anxiety.
For men with Low-T, improving one's lifestyle can be highly beneficial, but beyond a certain point and age, many men will only respond adequately to bio-identical testosterone therapy.
- The Evolutionary Effects of Testosterone on Human Society - September 20th, 2021
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost Your Testosterone Levels - September 7th, 2021
- Men Want to Know – Free Testosterone versus Total Testosterone - August 24th, 2021
- What is testosterone? - May 23rd, 2021
- Tribulus Terrestris Review Does It Raise Testosterone or ... - May 22nd, 2021
- Boosting testosterone levels (First of two parts) - May 8th, 2021
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - May 1st, 2021
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - April 28th, 2021
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - April 25th, 2021
- Deer Antler, HGH and Testosterone: Tim on Scott and BR Radio Show - Video - April 17th, 2021
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - April 14th, 2021
- How Testosterone Affects the Skin of Men - April 11th, 2021
- Testosterone, the Power Hormone - April 8th, 2021
- Testosterone Levels and Wall Street - March 27th, 2021
- Women can resist testosterone-fuelled political debate - March 12th, 2021
- BUSTED: Myths About Testosterone And Its Link To Sexual Desire In Men And Women - March 11th, 2021
- Attention Baby Boomers -- Could Testosterone be the Modern Day "Fountain of Youth?" - March 4th, 2021
- Declining Testosterone Levels in Men Not Part of Normal Aging - February 28th, 2021
- Quick Weight Loss Tips and Diet Recommendations for HRT - February 28th, 2021
- Testosterone and Alcohol: Your Health and the Holiday Season - February 27th, 2021
- Testosterone builds muscle but has risks - February 25th, 2021
- New Study Finds That Testosterone Does Not Increase Cardiovascular Risk - February 22nd, 2021
- Evidence Suggests Testosterone Plays Powerful Role in Motivating Revolutionary Change - February 15th, 2021
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - January 6th, 2021
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - December 25th, 2020
- Testosterone Does Not Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries) in Older Men - December 24th, 2020
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Prostate Cancer to Spread - December 23rd, 2020
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - December 20th, 2020
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone - December 18th, 2020
- The Testosterone Industry Globally is Booming - December 12th, 2020
- Five Benefits of Testosterone That You Need to Know - December 11th, 2020
- Testosterone Nasal Gel: A New Form of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - December 5th, 2020
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - December 3rd, 2020
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - December 3rd, 2020
- Low-T and Your Health - November 30th, 2020
- Low Testosterone Levels may Affect Man's Sex Drive and Affect his Intimate Relationships - November 19th, 2020
- Is Testosterone the New Drug of Choice on Wall Street? How Traders are Using Male Hormone Booster Shots to Maintain a ... - November 12th, 2020
- Shorter course of ADT for high-risk prostate cancer patients yields improved quality of life - November 11th, 2020
- Testosterone Litigation: What You Need To Know - MTMP - Video - November 9th, 2020
- Methadone Lowers Testosterone in Men Only - November 8th, 2020
- Intricate relationship between Oestrogen & Testosterone XXY Guys (Klinefelters' syndrome) - Video - November 7th, 2020
- Should middle-aged men consider 'low T' treatment? - November 5th, 2020
- Testosterone and Crime: What Can Genes Tell Us About Behavior? - Video - October 25th, 2020
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women - October 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone levels seen prior to birth in fetus' fingers, jawline - October 20th, 2020
- Tri-Blend Testosterone. Understanding the Benefits of Testosterone Oils - October 19th, 2020
- Testosterone levels in older men - October 17th, 2020
- Tlando Testosterone Clinical Trial for Low-T and Fatty Liver Disease - October 4th, 2020
- Testosterone Focus in Diabetes Study – Video - September 30th, 2020
- Testshock Review All Natural Testosterone Enhancement – Video - September 30th, 2020
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - September 30th, 2020
- Average Testosterone Levels Decreasing Over Time Among Younger American Men - August 21st, 2020
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 10th, 2020
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - August 6th, 2020
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - August 5th, 2020
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - August 3rd, 2020
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - August 1st, 2020
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - July 29th, 2020
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - July 26th, 2020
- Seven Types of Drugs That Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - July 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone and Geriatric Frailty - July 21st, 2020
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - July 12th, 2020
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - July 12th, 2020
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - July 6th, 2020
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - July 5th, 2020
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - July 4th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Reduces the Risk of Serious Adverse Health Consequences! - June 30th, 2020
- Testosterone not always to blame - Sat, 04 Aug 2012 PST - June 28th, 2020
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - June 27th, 2020
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - June 23rd, 2020
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - June 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Boosts Aerobic Capacity - June 15th, 2020
- Physiology of Testosterone - June 9th, 2020
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - May 26th, 2020
- Dr. Andre Berger on Testosterone Deficiency in Men - Andropause Symptoms and Treatment By Doctor's Desk Series - May 21st, 2020
- How to Raise Testosterone Naturally. Sermorelin - Some Have Called It A The New Fountain of Youth. A Natural Cure for Anxiety and Depression. - May 9th, 2020
- Are Athletes Using Green Tea to Mask Testosterone Doping? - May 7th, 2020
- Some Animal Research Suggests that High Testosterone May Increase Prostate Cancer Risk - May 5th, 2020
- Eleven Foods that Can Drain Your Libido - May 4th, 2020
- Testosterone Can Make Us Generous, But Only When We Do Not Perceive a Threat - May 3rd, 2020
Word Count: 809