Low testosterone effects almost every major system in the male body and has potentially serious long term health consequences. Testosterone significantly affects the brain, libido, muscles, blood, and many other aspects of male health.
(Article continues below...)
Concerned or curious about your health? Click below...
A 1996 study reported in the New England Journal of Medicine followed three groups of men. One group was given testosterone and prescribed a strength training program, one group was given testosterone and told not to exercise and one group was just given a training program without testosterone. It was no surprise that the group which exercised on testosterone gained the most muscle and lost the most fat, but the group which took testosterone without exercise actually had greater improvement in muscle and fat composition than the group which trained without it. You can't build muscle without it!
Some causes of low testosterone levels include congenital problems (such as deficiencies of male hormones and rare malformation syndromes) and acquired problems that include aging, chronic illness, drugs, starvation, stress, head trauma, infections, cancers, surgeries, alcoholism, removal of or trauma to the testicles, and infection or twisting of the testicles in their sac. In addition, certain drugs compete with testosterone in the body.
Married males have significantly lower testosterone levels on average. One study found that unmarried males had up to 20% higher average testosterone levels than married males.
The symptoms of low testosterone usually develop gradually, with the result that many men simply ignore them and get used to feeling lousy and functioning poorly. Symptoms include:
Men with low testosterone often develop an attitude of not caring about anything, instead just 'existing' day-to-day. Pleasure and desire can be greatly decreased, which in turn affects most aspects of life including career and relationships.
One study of men suffering from low testosterone (average level: 268ng/dL) found the following:
- 89% reported a lack of energy - 79% reported erectile dysfunction - 70% reported a loss of pubic hair - 66% percent reported a decrease in sexual endurance.
Verifying testosterone levels is very simple: a blood test will produce results within a few days. The official criterion for testosterone being 'low' is 260ng/dL. This figure is in fact very low; long-term health issues generally start becoming apparent at levels below 350.
One study in 2008 found that almost half of the male subjects with testosterone levels below 300ng/dL in fact had no obvious or significant symptoms. For this reason, all middle-aged men should consider having their testosterone levels tested, whether they are showing symptoms of deficiency or not.
Those with slightly low testosterone levels (in the 400-500ng/dL range) can often treat this condition naturally through sex (both sex and sexual anticipation boost testosterone levels); diet (increased monounsaturated fats, fish oil capsules, processed carbohydrate and sugars avoidance, lower carbohydrates in general); increased quality sleep (testosterone production increases during sleep); 'winning' and having a 'winning attitude' (in other words, a positive change of attitude.)
Sports of all kinds (including chess!) are excellent and natural testosterone boosters.
Low testosterone is associated with increased risk of many conditions, including heart disease, depression, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, cognitive impairment, osteoporosis, cancer. A 2007 study found that low testosterone is associated with increased risk of death in general.
Once large study in 2008 found that men with testosterone levels below 250ng/dL were fatter and had lower HDL, higher triglycerides, higher blood pressure, and higher blood glucose all serious markers of poor health and high risk. These men were tracked over 18 years and were found to have a 40% higher death rate from all causes.
Read more here:
- Six Benefits of Testosterone Boosting Supplements - June 9th, 2022
- Did You Know? Testosterone Protects Your Heart! - January 21st, 2022
- Marijuana and Testosterone Levels: Are Your Manboobs Caused by Smoking Weed? - October 19th, 2021
- Low Levels of Testosterone Linked to Sleep Apnea - September 29th, 2021
- Testosterone, Intelligence, and Your Brain - September 1st, 2021
- Increased Fat Intake Could Boost Moderate Low Testosterone Levels - June 13th, 2021
- Low Testosterone In Women - VieNue Bioidentical ... - May 30th, 2021
- Truth About Testosterone Quiz: Low Testosterone and Axiron - April 26th, 2021
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - April 25th, 2021
- Testosterone cream and gel for supplementation treating hypogonadism - March 13th, 2021
- Ester Marsh: Low testosterone and exercise - November 6th, 2020
- It is the rare man who has low T - November 4th, 2020
- Low Testosterone Linked to Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease - September 10th, 2020
- Hypotestosteronism - Low Testosterone and Hypogonadism - June 12th, 2020
- The Effects of Marijuana on Testosterone Production - May 16th, 2020
- The History, Myths and Misconceptions of Testosterone - May 13th, 2020
- Can Testosterone Deficiency Cause or Contribute to Feelings of Depression? - May 6th, 2020
- Methadone Suppresses Testosterone Production in Men - May 5th, 2020
- How Low Testosterone Could Be Deadly - April 24th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - February 11th, 2020
- Low Testosterone Explained - WebMD - July 29th, 2016
- Testosterone therapy: Potential benefits and risks as you age - Mayo Clinic - July 29th, 2016
- Low Testosterone in Men - Hormone Health Network - May 9th, 2016
- 7 Symptoms of Low Testosterone in Women - May 9th, 2016
- Low Testosterone (Low-T) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - eMedicineHealth - April 17th, 2016
- How can I boost my testosterone level? - WebMD Answers - April 10th, 2016
- Increase Low Testosterone Levels with Testosterone-Rx ... - February 8th, 2016
- Low Testosterone and Your Health - WebMD - October 29th, 2015
- Low Testosterone - Steroid .com - October 22nd, 2015
- LowTestosterone.com - Symptoms of Low Testosterone - October 5th, 2015
- Is Low Testosterone Affecting Your Health? - August 8th, 2015
- Low Testosterone (Low-T): Get Facts on Levels and Treatment - August 7th, 2015
- Low Testosterone in Men With Diabetes - July 6th, 2015
- Myths and Misconceptions around Low Testosterone Treatment - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Cure Intro - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Luke McNally - Low Vitamin D may cause low testosterone - Video - April 30th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Therapy Risks and Benefits - Video - April 25th, 2015
- Too Much Estrogen? Every Man Should Watch This! - Video - April 24th, 2015
- The Truth About Low Testosterone - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Low Testosterone - Men Lose 90% of their Testosterone from age 25 to age 70 - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Ageless Living - Topic: Low Testosterone - Video - April 17th, 2015
- 10 Foods That overcome low testosterone levels - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Low testosterone - April 13th - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Low testosterone help - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Treatment Center in St. Louis | Low T Therapy - April 4th, 2015
- Low-T in women can lead to obesity, study finds - April 2nd, 2015
- Men's Health Show | Low-T, Prostate, Robotic Surgery - Video - March 30th, 2015
- How can we find out if my husband has low testosterone? - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Increase testosterone supplements - Video - March 19th, 2015
- How to increase your testosterone - Video - March 19th, 2015
- How Even Borderline Low T Might Affect Your Health - Video - March 14th, 2015
- Feel Like You are 25 Again,Low Testosterone, Testosterone solution - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Antares Announces Positive Pharmacokinetic Results From QuickShot Phase 3 Study - February 25th, 2015
- Low Testosterone anxiety - Men's Health - MedHelp - February 23rd, 2015
- low libido High Testosterone - Urology - MedHelp - February 23rd, 2015
- Low Testosterone Therapy | Men's Health - February 23rd, 2015
- Valentine's Day is an important day for men's health - Video - February 18th, 2015
- Treatments for Low Testosterone from Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Edition - Video - February 15th, 2015
- Testosterone treatment soars, but is it the answer? - Video - February 15th, 2015
- Why is Low Testosterone so Common - Video - February 12th, 2015
- 7 ways hormones improve your quality of life - February 5th, 2015
- Low T | How To Increase Testosterone Naturally - February 1st, 2015
- Low Testosterone Symptoms | eHow - eHow | How to ... - January 31st, 2015
- Low Testosterone | Symptoms, Causes, Treatments - January 30th, 2015
- Analysis Rejects Linkage Between Testosterone Therapy And Cardiovascular Risk - January 28th, 2015
- Bodybuilding supplement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - January 11th, 2015
- Strategy Might Thwart Resistance to a Common Prostate Cancer Treatment - January 10th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Treatment for Men Insurance Accepted ... - December 29th, 2014
- What is Testosterone? | Boston Medical Group - December 29th, 2014
- Renew Male Review: Fix Low Testosterone With Natural Booster - Video - December 22nd, 2014
- Symptoms of A Low Testosterone Level How To Know Quickly - Video - December 22nd, 2014
- The Link Between Low Testosterone and Heart Disease - December 17th, 2014
- The ONE Hormone That Makes You FAT and Kills Your SEX Drive - Video - December 12th, 2014
- Manhood down the drain, everyday products could be wiping out your testosterone - November 27th, 2014
- How To Get Rid Of Low Testosterone Using Home Remedies? - Video - November 26th, 2014
- Low Testosterone? Boost it Naturally! - Video - November 22nd, 2014
- Is Low Testosterone Dangerous to Your Health? - November 19th, 2014
- diabetes - Video - November 18th, 2014
- Gladstone Barret -Low Testosterone Levels - Video - November 17th, 2014
- Healthy Living Series on Low Testosterone - Video - November 15th, 2014
Word Count: 604