Signs of Low Testosterone
Some men have a lower-than-normal testosterone level without signs or symptoms. For others, low testosterone may cause:
- Changes in sexual function. This may include reduced sexual desire, fewer spontaneous erections -- such as during sleep -- and infertility.
Video Link: https://vimeo.com/390635242
Video Download: Low On Testosterone No Problem
Video Stream: Low On Testosterone No Problem
- Changes in sleep patterns. Sometimes low testosterone causes insomnia or other sleep disturbances.
- Physical changes. Various physical changes are possible, including increased body fat, reduced muscle bulk and strength, and decreased bone density. Swollen or tender breasts and hair loss are likely. You may experience hot flashes and have less energy than you used to.
- Emotional changes. Low testosterone may contribute to a decrease in motivation or self-confidence. You may feel sad or depressed or have trouble concentrating or remembering things.
It's important to note that some of these signs and symptoms are a normal part of aging. Others can be caused by various underlying factors, including medication side effects, thyroid problems, depression, and excessive alcohol use. A blood test is the only way to diagnose a low testosterone level.
He Didn't Feel Right -- "Just Lethargy, Feeling Run-Down, not Sleeping Well."
Smith, a former vice and narcotics officer in Colorado Springs, had hit 280 pounds before getting weight-loss help at Omaha's Preventative Medical Clinic of Kohll's. A thinner Smith returned to the clinic, described his symptoms, and got a blood test, which showed he had low levels of testosterone.
The levels were low enough, he said, "that we decided to try the hormone replacement therapy."
That was in the spring of 2010. He started weekly, self-administered injections in his shoulder muscle soon afterward.
The effects weren't immediate.
"It's a gradual thing," Smith said. "By the third or fourth week, I actually felt something is really helping here. I certainly felt like I was sleeping better and waking up with more energy.
"There was probably a little less libido at the start of it," he said. "I guess I would say that that's turned around."
Benefits of Testosterone Replacement Therapy
Testosterone is a hormone that helps maintain bone density, muscle strength, red blood cells, sperm production, and sex drive. Doctors say the level in men starts to decline around age 30. "Despite that," said Dr. Brian Boerner, an Omaha endocrinologist, "most men will maintain normal testosterone levels even late in life."
Testosterone replacement therapy "has really been hitting the medical mainstream over the last year," said Sara Legleiter, a nurse practitioner at the Preventative Medical Clinic. (You may have noticed the clinic's "Low T" ads in this newspaper.) The clinic has treated well over 200 men in that time, she said.
The men who seek treatment, Legleiter said, complain of low energy, fatigue, problems concentrating and reduced libido. Some note that they have been working out at the gym but seem to lose muscle mass. "They really don't like that," she said.
The men's blood work will show whether they have low testosterone levels, Legleiter said. After treatment begins, the men must come in every three months to have their levels checked.
Boerner said fatigue, muscle weakness, loss of muscle mass, depression, and poor concentration might not necessarily indicate low testosterone. The more specific symptoms, he said, are decreased libido, erectile dysfunction and bone fracture from minor trauma. If they have such symptoms, he said, they should have a thorough medical evaluation before any low-testosterone diagnosis or treatment.
Health professionals need to determine the patient's motivation for seeking treatment, said Dr. Brad Anawalt, an endocrinologist and a professor at the University of Washington School of Medicine in Seattle. "Are you trying to recuperate a lost youth or some notion that you had that you're suddenly going to be wildly successful in the romance department? If that's your motivation, it's very unlikely that this is a testosterone-related problem."
Anawalt, who addressed the issue at a recent Endocrine Society meeting in New York City, said doctors or nurse practitioners should ask men whether they have lost all interest in sex. Also, he said, "if you're somebody who has low-trauma fractures, that greatly increases your chance that you're a man with low testosterone."
Omahan Jason Bair, a 36-year-old soccer player who said he works out most days of the week, had been taking prohormones -- legal supplements that increase muscle size and strength. After he stopped a cycle of those, he said, he felt he wasn't "bouncing back the way I should," mentally and physically.
Bair said tests at the Preventative Medical Clinic showed that he was "somewhat low" on his total testosterone number. "They prescribed me a low dosage of cream to basically just rub on your shoulders to help bounce back." He uses the transdermal testosterone cream once a day.
He said he has noticed "a rise in libido, just mental, thinking, awareness, energy."
The Endocrine Society says testosterone therapy is not recommended for people with breast or prostate cancer; men at high risk of prostate cancer; people with a concentration of red blood cells in their blood above 50 percent; those with untreated severe obstructive sleep apnea, severe lower urinary tract symptoms, or uncontrolled or poorly controlled heart failure; or those desiring fertility.
Anawalt said that experts "don't have a good handle on the safety of long-term testosterone therapy," but that standard replacement dosages do not appear to cause any significant side effects.
"You can see acne in younger men. In older men, you unmask an underlying tendency to balding. It causes your own genetic predisposition to be uncovered."
For some men, Anawalt said, "if they start eating more healthfully and start exercising regularly, you'll see their testosterone levels rise. There's a significant number of men who are just obese and out of shape, and their testosterone levels are low because of that."
Low on testosterone? No problem
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- MOTS-c Therapy To Improve Body Composition - December 11th, 2022
- Punicalagin: A powerful Testosterone Booster - November 24th, 2022
- Blocking Testosterone to Defeat Melanoma - August 11th, 2022
- Stomach Inflammation: Another Ailment That Testosterone Can Stop in its Tracks - August 3rd, 2022
- Study Finds that Testosterone Boosts Memory for Uncontrolled Diabetics - June 24th, 2022
- Causes of Low Libido - Could It Be Low-T? - May 30th, 2022
- The Evolutionary Effects of Testosterone on Human Society - September 20th, 2021
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost Your Testosterone Levels - September 7th, 2021
- Men Want to Know – Free Testosterone versus Total Testosterone - August 24th, 2021
- What is testosterone? - May 23rd, 2021
- Tribulus Terrestris Review Does It Raise Testosterone or ... - May 22nd, 2021
- Boosting testosterone levels (First of two parts) - May 8th, 2021
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - May 1st, 2021
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - April 28th, 2021
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - April 25th, 2021
- Deer Antler, HGH and Testosterone: Tim on Scott and BR Radio Show - Video - April 17th, 2021
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - April 14th, 2021
- How Testosterone Affects the Skin of Men - April 11th, 2021
- Testosterone, the Power Hormone - April 8th, 2021
- Testosterone Levels and Wall Street - March 27th, 2021
- Women can resist testosterone-fuelled political debate - March 12th, 2021
- BUSTED: Myths About Testosterone And Its Link To Sexual Desire In Men And Women - March 11th, 2021
- Attention Baby Boomers -- Could Testosterone be the Modern Day "Fountain of Youth?" - March 4th, 2021
- Declining Testosterone Levels in Men Not Part of Normal Aging - February 28th, 2021
- Quick Weight Loss Tips and Diet Recommendations for HRT - February 28th, 2021
- Testosterone and Alcohol: Your Health and the Holiday Season - February 27th, 2021
- Testosterone builds muscle but has risks - February 25th, 2021
- New Study Finds That Testosterone Does Not Increase Cardiovascular Risk - February 22nd, 2021
- Evidence Suggests Testosterone Plays Powerful Role in Motivating Revolutionary Change - February 15th, 2021
- The Effects of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels - January 9th, 2021
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - January 6th, 2021
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - December 25th, 2020
- Testosterone Does Not Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries) in Older Men - December 24th, 2020
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Prostate Cancer to Spread - December 23rd, 2020
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - December 20th, 2020
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone - December 18th, 2020
- The Testosterone Industry Globally is Booming - December 12th, 2020
- Five Benefits of Testosterone That You Need to Know - December 11th, 2020
- Testosterone Nasal Gel: A New Form of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - December 5th, 2020
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - December 3rd, 2020
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - December 3rd, 2020
- Low-T and Your Health - November 30th, 2020
- Low Testosterone Levels may Affect Man's Sex Drive and Affect his Intimate Relationships - November 19th, 2020
- Is Testosterone the New Drug of Choice on Wall Street? How Traders are Using Male Hormone Booster Shots to Maintain a ... - November 12th, 2020
- Shorter course of ADT for high-risk prostate cancer patients yields improved quality of life - November 11th, 2020
- Testosterone Litigation: What You Need To Know - MTMP - Video - November 9th, 2020
- Methadone Lowers Testosterone in Men Only - November 8th, 2020
- Should middle-aged men consider 'low T' treatment? - November 5th, 2020
- Testosterone and Crime: What Can Genes Tell Us About Behavior? - Video - October 25th, 2020
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women - October 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone levels seen prior to birth in fetus' fingers, jawline - October 20th, 2020
- Tri-Blend Testosterone. Understanding the Benefits of Testosterone Oils - October 19th, 2020
- Testosterone levels in older men - October 17th, 2020
- Tlando Testosterone Clinical Trial for Low-T and Fatty Liver Disease - October 4th, 2020
- Testosterone Focus in Diabetes Study – Video - September 30th, 2020
- Testshock Review All Natural Testosterone Enhancement – Video - September 30th, 2020
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - September 30th, 2020
- Average Testosterone Levels Decreasing Over Time Among Younger American Men - August 21st, 2020
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 10th, 2020
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - August 6th, 2020
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - August 5th, 2020
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - August 3rd, 2020
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - August 1st, 2020
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - July 29th, 2020
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - July 26th, 2020
- Seven Types of Drugs That Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - July 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone and Geriatric Frailty - July 21st, 2020
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - July 12th, 2020
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - July 12th, 2020
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - July 6th, 2020
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - July 5th, 2020
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - July 4th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Reduces the Risk of Serious Adverse Health Consequences! - June 30th, 2020
- Testosterone not always to blame - Sat, 04 Aug 2012 PST - June 28th, 2020
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - June 27th, 2020
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - June 23rd, 2020
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - June 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Boosts Aerobic Capacity - June 15th, 2020
- Physiology of Testosterone - June 9th, 2020
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - May 26th, 2020
Word Count: 976