The prevailing belief in today's society is that only men over 60 suffer from the symptoms of low testosterone, unfortunately, this is not true. The symptoms of low testosterone can affect men regardless of physical condition, age or health. To put it bluntly, all men should be concerned about low testosterone, and how to recognize its symptoms early.
Sadly, most men accept their low testosterone symptoms as just a natural part of getting older. It's true that declining testosterone levels and their accompanying symptoms are a natural and normal part of male aging. Restoring your testosterone levels will allow you to lead a long, normal, healthy, productive life. So how do you go about recognizing the symptoms?
The primary and often most discernable, symptoms of low testosterone can include:
Many physicians will first administer a very basic questionnaire, which asks you about the above symptoms in question form. This instrument has been standardized, and is known as the 'ADAM (Androgen Deficiency in the Aging Male)' questionnaire. ADAM helps doctors develop a preliminary view of your problem's severity prior to your blood test, and can be thought of much like the physical exam which so often precedes the more detailed X-rays and MRIs.
Androgen Deficiency in the Aging Male
Do you have a decrease in libido (sex drive)?
Do you have a lack of energy?
Do you have a decrease in strength and/or endurance?
Have you lost height?
Have you noticed a decreased "enjoyment of life"
Are you sad and/or grumpy?
Are your erections less strong?
Have you noticed a recent deterioration in your ability to play sports?
Are you falling asleep after dinner?
Has there been a recent deterioration in your work performance?
As you can see there are several different low testosterone symptoms, and just one of them can take a serious toll on your life, and possibly the life of your partner. Low testosterone symptoms which are merely adapted to rather than properly addressed can continue to plague you for years.
Surprisingly, there's only a relatively small body of research concerning the long-term health effects of low testosterone, a problem that's likely the result of the above attribution error. When anyone (scientists, researchers, epidemiologists, etc.), views a problem as normal the natural inclination is to overlook it, thereby not giving it the requisite attention. Although there's a well known correlation between low testosterone and several chronic medical conditions, including depression, diabetes, obesity, and possibly even cardiovascular disease, the relationship is unclear.
Actually, there could be an inverse relationship. For example, the same processes which lead that caused high blood pressure or diabetes could potentially also be the root of a patient's low testosterone. In this respect, low testosterone levels could serve as a marker for health decline. After all, it is a clinically proven fact that low testosterone impacts several bodily systems, and numerous areas of life, so why couldn't the reverse be true? This simply means that just as the separate and different parts of the body come together to make a single unit, the various symptoms can work together to adversely affect a specific segment of your life. Here are some of the negatively affected areas and their respective primary symptoms:
Physical changes? Breast tenderness, swelling, or nodules/lumps (gynecomastia - female breast tissue in men); reduced lean body mass and muscular strength; decreased bone density; an increase in body fat; hair loss (both thinning and falling out); hot flashes and; a general lack of energy.
Changes in sexual function.? This may include erectile dysfunction - the inability to become sexually aroused, reduced quality and/or duration of erections, fewer spontaneous erections (awake or asleep); reduced libido/sexual desire; decreased sperm count or motility, and ultimately infertility.
Changes in sleep patterns. ? Easily disturbed or light sleeping; a decreased ability to achieve latter stages of sleep (3, 4, and REM); insomnia - a reduced ability to readily fall asleep and; other sleep sensitivities and disturbances including an inability to sleep through the night.
Emotional changes.? An increase in moodiness and seemingly bipolar (rapid or extreme) mood swings; decreased motivation and/or self-confidence; reduced mental clarity, including problems like trouble concentrating, recalling facts, or remembering things; unwarranted feelings of sadness, loneliness or depression and; a general decreased sense of well-being.
As illustrated here, testosterone is a very important male hormone that's integral to several bodily functions, numerous areas of life, and your general well-being. An estimated 5 million Americans are currently suffering from low testosterone. In reality this number is probably vastly understated. If you suspect that your levels are lower than should be, don't despair. Low testosterone testing is quick, easy, and can have a rapid and profound impact on the quality of your life. So if you're experiencing some of the symptoms above, don't just sit around wasting time. Schedule an appointment with your doctor today, and get back to the business of enjoying your life!
Go here to read the rest:
- Did You Know? Testosterone Protects Your Heart! - January 21st, 2022
- Marijuana and Testosterone Levels: Are Your Manboobs Caused by Smoking Weed? - October 19th, 2021
- Low Levels of Testosterone Linked to Sleep Apnea - September 29th, 2021
- Testosterone, Intelligence, and Your Brain - September 1st, 2021
- Increased Fat Intake Could Boost Moderate Low Testosterone Levels - June 13th, 2021
- Low Testosterone In Women - VieNue Bioidentical ... - May 30th, 2021
- Truth About Testosterone Quiz: Low Testosterone and Axiron - April 26th, 2021
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - April 25th, 2021
- Testosterone cream and gel for supplementation treating hypogonadism - March 13th, 2021
- Ester Marsh: Low testosterone and exercise - November 6th, 2020
- It is the rare man who has low T - November 4th, 2020
- Low Testosterone Linked to Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease - September 10th, 2020
- Hypotestosteronism - Low Testosterone and Hypogonadism - June 12th, 2020
- The Effects of Marijuana on Testosterone Production - May 16th, 2020
- The History, Myths and Misconceptions of Testosterone - May 13th, 2020
- Can Testosterone Deficiency Cause or Contribute to Feelings of Depression? - May 6th, 2020
- Methadone Suppresses Testosterone Production in Men - May 5th, 2020
- How Low Testosterone Could Be Deadly - April 24th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - February 11th, 2020
- Low Testosterone Explained - WebMD - July 29th, 2016
- Testosterone therapy: Potential benefits and risks as you age - Mayo Clinic - July 29th, 2016
- Low Testosterone in Men - Hormone Health Network - May 9th, 2016
- 7 Symptoms of Low Testosterone in Women - May 9th, 2016
- Low Male Testosterone Level - Symptoms and Diagnosis - April 29th, 2016
- Low Testosterone (Low-T) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - eMedicineHealth - April 17th, 2016
- How can I boost my testosterone level? - WebMD Answers - April 10th, 2016
- Increase Low Testosterone Levels with Testosterone-Rx ... - February 8th, 2016
- Low Testosterone and Your Health - WebMD - October 29th, 2015
- Low Testosterone - Steroid .com - October 22nd, 2015
- Is Low Testosterone Affecting Your Health? - August 8th, 2015
- Low Testosterone (Low-T): Get Facts on Levels and Treatment - August 7th, 2015
- Low Testosterone in Men With Diabetes - July 6th, 2015
- Myths and Misconceptions around Low Testosterone Treatment - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Cure Intro - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Luke McNally - Low Vitamin D may cause low testosterone - Video - April 30th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Therapy Risks and Benefits - Video - April 25th, 2015
- Too Much Estrogen? Every Man Should Watch This! - Video - April 24th, 2015
- The Truth About Low Testosterone - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Low Testosterone - Men Lose 90% of their Testosterone from age 25 to age 70 - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Ageless Living - Topic: Low Testosterone - Video - April 17th, 2015
- 10 Foods That overcome low testosterone levels - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Low testosterone - April 13th - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Low testosterone help - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Treatment Center in St. Louis | Low T Therapy - April 4th, 2015
- Low-T in women can lead to obesity, study finds - April 2nd, 2015
- Men's Health Show | Low-T, Prostate, Robotic Surgery - Video - March 30th, 2015
- How can we find out if my husband has low testosterone? - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Increase testosterone supplements - Video - March 19th, 2015
- How to increase your testosterone - Video - March 19th, 2015
- How Even Borderline Low T Might Affect Your Health - Video - March 14th, 2015
- Feel Like You are 25 Again,Low Testosterone, Testosterone solution - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Antares Announces Positive Pharmacokinetic Results From QuickShot Phase 3 Study - February 25th, 2015
- Low Testosterone anxiety - Men's Health - MedHelp - February 23rd, 2015
- low libido High Testosterone - Urology - MedHelp - February 23rd, 2015
- Low Testosterone Therapy | Men's Health - February 23rd, 2015
- Valentine's Day is an important day for men's health - Video - February 18th, 2015
- Treatments for Low Testosterone from Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Edition - Video - February 15th, 2015
- Testosterone treatment soars, but is it the answer? - Video - February 15th, 2015
- Why is Low Testosterone so Common - Video - February 12th, 2015
- 7 ways hormones improve your quality of life - February 5th, 2015
- Low T | How To Increase Testosterone Naturally - February 1st, 2015
- Low Testosterone Symptoms | eHow - eHow | How to ... - January 31st, 2015
- Low Testosterone | Symptoms, Causes, Treatments - January 30th, 2015
- Analysis Rejects Linkage Between Testosterone Therapy And Cardiovascular Risk - January 28th, 2015
- Bodybuilding supplement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - January 11th, 2015
- Strategy Might Thwart Resistance to a Common Prostate Cancer Treatment - January 10th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Treatment for Men Insurance Accepted ... - December 29th, 2014
- What is Testosterone? | Boston Medical Group - December 29th, 2014
- Renew Male Review: Fix Low Testosterone With Natural Booster - Video - December 22nd, 2014
- Symptoms of A Low Testosterone Level How To Know Quickly - Video - December 22nd, 2014
- The Link Between Low Testosterone and Heart Disease - December 17th, 2014
- The ONE Hormone That Makes You FAT and Kills Your SEX Drive - Video - December 12th, 2014
- Manhood down the drain, everyday products could be wiping out your testosterone - November 27th, 2014
- How To Get Rid Of Low Testosterone Using Home Remedies? - Video - November 26th, 2014
- Low Testosterone? Boost it Naturally! - Video - November 22nd, 2014
- Is Low Testosterone Dangerous to Your Health? - November 19th, 2014
- diabetes - Video - November 18th, 2014
- Gladstone Barret -Low Testosterone Levels - Video - November 17th, 2014
- Healthy Living Series on Low Testosterone - Video - November 15th, 2014
- Low Testosterone | Men's Health Doctor | Dr George Forgan-Smith - Video - October 26th, 2014
Word Count: 852