Though female contraception has been an option for generations, there still are no options available for men to artificially suppress fertility.
Of course, condoms are available, but the success rate for condoms does leave something to be desired.
Condoms are only around 85% effective per year. Vasectomies are an option, but the intensiveness of the procedure turns many men off. In the coming years, it is expected that an HRT Option for male contraception will become available.
Some research facilities are working to create a new male form of contraception, primarily modeled after the Birth Control Pills used with great success by women.
Christina Wang and Stephanie Page are working on a new Hormone Suppressing Medication that may help men prevent pregnancy in pill form.
Like women, men are interested in consequence-free sexual activity. In spite of that, contraception has primarily been the woman's job in a relationship.
A big part of the reason is that there is such a lack of viable options for male contraception.
Male Birth Control Pill In Clinical Testing
Though options are slim now, medical advances will likely provide new avenues for male contraception in the coming years.
Page and Wang are investigating the effectiveness of a potential Male Pill called Dimethandrolone Undecanoate, abbreviated DMAU.
This Androgen derivative suppresses fertility by drastically lowering Testosterone Production. Regular administration of DMAU pushes Testosterone Production down to pre-pubertal levels. Think of it as a temporary chemical castration.
Of course, Testosterone is responsible for a lot of other things than fertility. To take DMAU alone would lead to a variety of issues that could impair male health and masculinity.
Testosterone is vital to preserving body composition, psychological wellness, energy level, and even body hair distribution. Fortunately, there are synthetic relatives of Testosterone which can support these other essential functions of Testosterone without affecting fertility.
By pairing a synthetic androgen with DMAU, it should be possible to safely induce infertility while still preserving masculinity in all its other forms.
The final goal of a male birth control pill is for it to be more effective than condoms and less invasive than a Vasectomy.
The end goal is to limit fertility in the present while allowing it to be quickly reversed in the future. Restoring fertility should be as easy as going off the pill.
The first phase of the clinical trial involved 83 patients. The experiment was successful enough to warrant further study, and researchers Wang and Page are preparing DMAU for a larger FDA trial over the course of the coming months.
Subjects will receive 200-400 mg of DMAU daily, and participants will range from 18-50 years of age.
The first phase of the Clinical Trial was a proof-of-concept. DMAU successfully led to Testosterone suppression in men.
The next step in the study will be broader and will monitor both sperm count and Testosterone Levels to assess the potential effectiveness of DMAU as birth control.
Why Has It Taken So Long to Invent Male Birth Control?
You may find it surprising that it has taken so long to come up with a viable form of male contraception in pill form. Men have been interested in limiting fertility for thousands of years, but treatments are just now reaching fruition.
A big issue is that pharmaceutical companies have been reluctant to pursue the Male Pill. On the other hand, there is a more significant issue at hand—It's just easier to provide women with contraception than men on a mechanical, physiological level.
For women, you only have to prevent ovulation, which occurs once per month. With men, every orgasm spills millions of sperm, all with the potential to lead to fertilization. That means that it's going to take a lot more finesse to suppress male fertility without unwanted side-effects.
Side-Effects of Male Birth Control
One of the significant problems with male birth control is that previous attempts to invent it have led to side-effects which led to dead ends. For example, earlier iterations of Male Birth Control led to liver damage.
This newest version of Male Birth Control appears viable but does have some side-effects.
In the preliminary trial, patients were more likely to gain weight, and the pill also had a mild, adverse effect on HDL Cholesterol Levels.
Of course, the Birth Control Pill for women is not without its risks, including a heightened risk of depression, cervical cancer, and high blood pressure.
When Male Birth Control hits the market, guys will inevitably have to weigh the risks and benefits just like women do today.
How Soon Could We See Male Birth Control On the Market?
It's important to recognize that FDA-Approval can be a long and arduous process, especially for medications that aren't for life-threatening conditions.
DMAU still has years to go before it can eventually reach the market, and it needs funding. Pharmaceutical Industry has been slow to invest in Male Contraception, which has hindered the process.
Previous versions of Male Birth Control have been more invasive, which led many drug manufacturers to be wary of pursuing them. One practical option required a scrotal injection, for example.
The fact that DMAU is an oral supplement that is easy to administer plays in its favor. Perhaps, in the coming years, DMAU will be the first Male Birth Control Pill to hit the market.
Researchers are as optimistic as they can reasonably be!
Contact Us Today
- Testosterone Impacts Behavior Based on Social Context—An Animal Study - September 25th, 2022
- Testosterone Lowers Insulin Resistance in Obese Men - September 25th, 2022
- Could Low-T Affect Employment Status? - September 1st, 2022
- Keto Diet for Weight Loss and Low-T Relief - August 2nd, 2022
- Tlando Oral Testosterone - A Pill for Low-T - June 14th, 2022
- The Importance of Follicle-Stimulating Hormone for Men - February 10th, 2022
- Jatenzo Testosterone Oral Treatment for Low Testosterone - December 16th, 2021
- Testosterone Increases Tenacity and Persistence In Spite of Long Odds - November 27th, 2021
- The Impact of Diet on Testosterone - Investigating the Science - November 9th, 2021
- Investigating the Effects of Weed on Testosterone Levels and Sexual Health - October 30th, 2021
- Improve Sexual Health and Testosterone Levels By Adopting the Mediterranean Diet - October 2nd, 2021
- Considering the Potential of Testosterone Therapy for Some Prostate Cancer Patients - September 9th, 2021
- Testosterone Boosting Foods - Food Science Explored - September 9th, 2021
- Alaska Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - September 8th, 2021
- Fracking Pollution Potential Danger to Testosterone Levels - September 8th, 2021
- Increase Longevity and Live Healthier with the Help of These Supplements - August 6th, 2021
- What Doctors Think You Should Understand About Testosterone - July 1st, 2021
- Eleven Year Study Showcases Benefits of Testosterone Therapy for Weight Loss - June 24th, 2021
- Men With Low-T at Greater Risk of Deadly Covid-19 Complications - June 3rd, 2021
- Combining Exercise with Testosterone Therapy for Better Results - May 28th, 2021
- Exercise Enhances the Benefits of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 13th, 2021
- Premature Ejaculation More Common Than You Think - May 6th, 2021
- Pro-Inflammatory Diet May Significantly Increase Low-T Risk - April 29th, 2021
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy provides heart protection - April 15th, 2021
- Six Hacks to Naturally Boost Testosterone Production - April 14th, 2021
- The Effects of Parenthood on Testosterone Levels in Men - April 8th, 2021
- The Effects of Masturbation on Sex Drive and Testosterone - April 8th, 2021
- Study Explores the Effects of Testosterone on Generosity - April 4th, 2021
- Over exertion in Endurance Training Can Lower Testosterone - March 22nd, 2021
- Primary vs. Secondary Hypogonadism in Men - March 15th, 2021
- Covid-19 May Impair Testosterone Levels - March 9th, 2021
- Boosting Testosterone Levels and Enhancing Wellness Without Prescriptions and Supplements - March 5th, 2021
- Building Muscle, Burning Fat, and Busting Myths - March 5th, 2021
- Anakinra May Improve Testosterone Levels in Patients with Metabolic Syndrome - March 3rd, 2021
- FDA Approves Jatenzo Oral Testosterone Replacement for Certain Types of Hypogonadism - February 24th, 2021
- Vitamin D and Sunlight for Mood and Hormone Balance - February 22nd, 2021
- Montana Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - February 21st, 2021
- South Dakota Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - February 19th, 2021
- Hormone Levels and Smoking -- What You Can Do to Stop Smoking for Good! - February 17th, 2021
- Maine Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - February 16th, 2021
- Poor Sleeping Habits Tied to Low-T, Erectile Dysfunction, and Increased Mortality Risk - February 12th, 2021
- Minnesota Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - February 10th, 2021
- Oklahoma Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - February 9th, 2021
- The Effect of Success on Testosterone Levels and Romantic Self-Perception - February 8th, 2021
- Wyoming Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - February 7th, 2021
- "Mano-pause" AKA Male Menopause or Andropause, and the Treatment of Age-Related Low-T / Low Testosterone / Hypogonadism - February 7th, 2021
- Mississippi Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - February 6th, 2021
- Hawaii Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - February 4th, 2021
- Dallas Texas Testosterone Clinics for Bio-Identical Testosterone Replacement Therapy - February 3rd, 2021
- Massachusetts Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - January 29th, 2021
- New Mexico Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - January 27th, 2021
- Nevada Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - January 24th, 2021
- Delaware Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - January 23rd, 2021
- The Four Best Ways to Amplify Testosterone Levels - January 21st, 2021
- Arkansas Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - January 18th, 2021
- Arizona Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - January 14th, 2021
- Precursor Fat Cells and Their Potential Role in Obesity - December 30th, 2020
- Xyosted Self-Administered Testosterone Therapy FDA-Approved - December 23rd, 2020
- Testosterone Therapy Reduces Mortality Risk Among Diabetics Even When Accounting for Improvements in Cardiovascular Risk Factors - December 16th, 2020
- Male Fertility Myths and Misunderstandings Resolved - December 15th, 2020
- The Effects of Testosterone Among Healthy Men and Men With Low-T - December 14th, 2020
- San Francisco Testosterone Clinics for Bio-Identical Testosterone Replacement Therapy - December 9th, 2020
- Low-T Strongly Associated with Various Co-Morbid Medical Conditions - December 4th, 2020
- Natesto: FDA-Approved Nasal Testosterone Gel - December 1st, 2020
- New Hampshire Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 29th, 2020
- Wisconsin Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 25th, 2020
- Connecticut Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 24th, 2020
- Scientific Debate Over Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Low-T Continues - November 16th, 2020
- Some Women May Benefit from Testosterone for Menopause - November 14th, 2020
- Sioux Falls Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - November 11th, 2020
- Chattanooga Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - November 11th, 2020
- Clarksville Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - November 11th, 2020
- Knoxville Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - November 11th, 2020
- Memphis Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - November 11th, 2020
- Murfreesboro Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - November 11th, 2020
- Nashville Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - November 11th, 2020
- Abilene Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - November 11th, 2020
- Amarillo Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - November 11th, 2020
- Arlington Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - November 11th, 2020
- Austin Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - November 11th, 2020
Word Count: 907