Video Download: Methadone Suppresses Testosterone Production In Men
Video Stream: Methadone Suppresses Testosterone Production In Men
Research shows that treatment for Opioid Addiction can significantly suppress Testosterone Production in male patients. These conclusions are derived from an article published in Scientific Reports, conducted by researchers from McMaster University in Hamilton, Canada.
In the past, it has been noted that addiction to Opioids, including Heroin and Oxycontin, can suppress Testosterone Levels, but this study quantifies the significance of that Hormone Suppression. This research shows that Opioid Dependency Treatments, which use drugs such as Methadone to curtail the addiction to harder and more dangerous Opioids, reduce Testosterone Levels by far more than medical professionals previously assumed.
The lead researcher for this study, Dr. Zena Samaan, explains that the results were so dramatic that they believed that they had made an error somewhere in their calculations. When they went back and analyzed the data and the science behind the results, however, everything was sound.
The data for this study was collected from 231 participants, all of which were taking Methadone as an aspect of their Opioid Dependency Treatments in Ontario, Canada. This data was compared to 783 men and women from Ontario that did not use Opioids.
In Canada, as well as in the United States, it is common to treat patients with Opioid Addiction with Methadone, and all patients analyzed in this study were currently on such a regimen. What they found was that men taking Methadone experienced Serum Testosterone Concentrations 75% lower than their control counterparts that weren't using such drugs. Although Testosterone Levels in males were profoundly impacted, the drugs had little to no influence on Testosterone Production in women.
How do Opioids Lower Testosterone?
The use of Opioids leads to a condition known as Opioid-Induced Androgen Deficiency. The actions of Opioids upon the Hypothalamus reduce the production of Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone, which suppresses the production of Luteinizing Hormone, an essential precursor to both the creation of Testosterone and Sperm.
Many men with OIAD even suffer from significant fertility issues as a result of their treatment. Research suggests that there are Opioid receptors in the Hypothalamus that exist to modulate the production of sex hormones, but in patients using Opioids, whether for Chronic Pain, Recreationally, or Addiction Treatment, Opioids provide their beneficial effects while also blocking the production of sex hormone precursors by the Hypothalamus, which leads to Testosterone Deficiency.
Testosterone Deficiency Leads to Significant Clinical Side-Effects
Testosterone Deficiency associated with Opioid Dependency Treatment leads to a variety of side-effects that can be attributed to the Hormone Deficiency, including mood disorders, erectile dysfunction, fatigue, and reduced quality of life. In many cases, these symptoms can be so dramatic that it causes patients to stop Opioid Dependency Treatment, which can increase their risk of becoming addicted once again. Testosterone Therapy may become an integral part of Opioid Dependency Therapy in the near future.
Also, Testosterone Production can change significantly while a man is on Opioid Dependency Treatments. These treatments work by providing patients with a steady dose of Methadone, which is slowly reduced over time to mitigate the severe symptoms of withdrawal. Testosterone Levels remain suppressed as a result of Methadone Treatment and are prone to fluctuation as a result of this weaning process.
Dr. Samaan sincerely believes that Testosterone Therapy should be an option for these patients, to improve their quality of life while recovering from addiction, and to reduce the incidence of side-effects associated with the treatment. Many patients aren't open about talking about Testosterone with their doctor, but she believes that these patients should open up a dialog about Testosterone, and make sure that Low-T Related Symptoms get treated as an aspect of their recovery.
Experts at the John Street Clinic believe that around twenty percent of male patients using Methadone for addiction therapy need Testosterone Replacement or some other form of Hormone Therapy to optimize their treatment.
Despite Testosterone Deficiency Risk, Men Recover from Addiction More Effectively with Methadone
This kind of research is obviously beneficial to both patients and the medical profession, but some medical professionals believe that there is potential for this sort of information to cause Opioid Users not to enter Opioid Dependency Treatment. For this reason, it is vital to emphasize the effectiveness of the treatment and the option of Hormone Therapy if symptoms of Testosterone Deficiency arise.
This research is also useful because its results can be used to underline the importance of monitoring Testosterone Levels in older men that may use Prescription Opioids for Chronic Pain or other reasons. Testosterone Deficiency is a real and significant medical issue that can increase mortality risk from a variety of factors, including Cardiovascular Disease and Heart Attack. By recognizing the effects that pain treatments have on hormone balance, it leads doctors to become more aware of the risks and potentially open up the door for Hormone Treatments for men that would not have gotten the opportunity to take them before.
Other Studies Associate Opioid Use to Testosterone Deficiency
Studies involving Heroin Addicts have also noted the impact that Opioids can have upon the production of Testosterone. Luckily, it appears that the use of Opioids only leads to a temporary reduction in Testosterone Levels. In one study, it was discovered that Testosterone Production returned to normal after just a month after the patient quit using Heroin and other Opioids.
Opioid use directly impacts the function of the testicles in addition to merely reducing Testosterone Levels. In particular, Opioid Use has been clinically shown to reduce the mobility of sperm, as well as the production of interstitial fluid in the testicles.
Another study, which also used patients taking Methadone for Opioid Dependency, gathered data from 25 patients. Researchers found that 68% of the subjects had Testosterone Levels that were abnormally low. This level was higher for men that were over the age of fifty, of which, 87.5% of subjects displayed low T-Values. In particular, Luteinizing Hormone Levels, along with Total and Free Testosterone Levels were suppressed, whereas Prolactin and Follicle-Stimulating Hormone Levels remained in the normal range.
- Ester Marsh: Low testosterone and exercise - November 6th, 2020
- It is the rare man who has low T - November 4th, 2020
- Low Testosterone Linked to Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease - September 10th, 2020
- Hypotestosteronism - Low Testosterone and Hypogonadism - June 12th, 2020
- The Effects of Marijuana on Testosterone Production - May 16th, 2020
- The History, Myths and Misconceptions of Testosterone - May 13th, 2020
- Can Testosterone Deficiency Cause or Contribute to Feelings of Depression? - May 6th, 2020
- How Low Testosterone Could Be Deadly - April 24th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - February 11th, 2020
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - April 16th, 2019
- Testosterone cream and gel for supplementation treating hypogonadism - April 9th, 2019
- Truth About Testosterone Quiz: Low Testosterone and Axiron - April 2nd, 2019
- Low Testosterone Explained - WebMD - July 29th, 2016
- Testosterone therapy: Potential benefits and risks as you age - Mayo Clinic - July 29th, 2016
- Low Testosterone in Men - Hormone Health Network - May 9th, 2016
- 7 Symptoms of Low Testosterone in Women - May 9th, 2016
- Low Male Testosterone Level - Symptoms and Diagnosis - April 29th, 2016
- Low Testosterone (Low-T) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - eMedicineHealth - April 17th, 2016
- How can I boost my testosterone level? - WebMD Answers - April 10th, 2016
- Increase Low Testosterone Levels with Testosterone-Rx ... - February 8th, 2016
- Low Testosterone and Your Health - WebMD - October 29th, 2015
- Low Testosterone - Steroid .com - October 22nd, 2015
- LowTestosterone.com - Symptoms of Low Testosterone - October 5th, 2015
- Is Low Testosterone Affecting Your Health? - August 8th, 2015
- Low Testosterone (Low-T): Get Facts on Levels and Treatment - August 7th, 2015
- Low Testosterone in Men With Diabetes - July 6th, 2015
- testosterone low , low testosterone effects , how to treat low testosterone - Video - May 5th, 2015
- do i have low testosterone , symptoms low testosterone , supplements for low testosterone - Video - May 5th, 2015
- low testosterone causes , what causes low testosterone , signs of low testosterone - Video - May 5th, 2015
- testosterone levels by age , low testosterone levels - Video - May 5th, 2015
- testosterone t , on testosterone booster , best testosterone product - Video - May 4th, 2015
- testosterone shots cost , testosterone suppliments , herbs for testosterone - Video - May 4th, 2015
- free testosterone , high testosterone , testosterone shots , what does testosterone do - Video - May 4th, 2015
- muscle building testosterone , healthy testosterone boosters , healthy testosterone - Video - May 4th, 2015
- testosterone for muscle mass , best testosterone booster for mass - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Myths and Misconceptions around Low Testosterone Treatment - Video - May 4th, 2015
- effects of low testosterone , low testosterone , what is low testosterone - Video - May 4th, 2015
- low testosterone level , buy testosterone - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Cure Intro - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- low male testosterone , how to increase low testosterone in males , raising testosterone levels - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- symptoms of low testosterone , causes of low testosterone - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Luke McNally - Low Vitamin D may cause low testosterone - Video - April 30th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Therapy Risks and Benefits - Video - April 25th, 2015
- Too Much Estrogen? Every Man Should Watch This! - Video - April 24th, 2015
- The Truth About Low Testosterone - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Low Testosterone - Men Lose 90% of their Testosterone from age 25 to age 70 - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Ageless Living - Topic: Low Testosterone - Video - April 17th, 2015
- 10 Foods That overcome low testosterone levels - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Low testosterone - April 13th - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Low testosterone help - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Treatment Center in St. Louis | Low T Therapy - April 4th, 2015
- Low-T in women can lead to obesity, study finds - April 2nd, 2015
- Men's Health Show | Low-T, Prostate, Robotic Surgery - Video - March 30th, 2015
- How can we find out if my husband has low testosterone? - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Increase testosterone supplements - Video - March 19th, 2015
- How to increase your testosterone - Video - March 19th, 2015
- How Even Borderline Low T Might Affect Your Health - Video - March 14th, 2015
- Feel Like You are 25 Again,Low Testosterone, Testosterone solution - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Antares Announces Positive Pharmacokinetic Results From QuickShot Phase 3 Study - February 25th, 2015
- Low Testosterone anxiety - Men's Health - MedHelp - February 23rd, 2015
- low libido High Testosterone - Urology - MedHelp - February 23rd, 2015
- Low Testosterone Therapy | Men's Health - February 23rd, 2015
- Valentine's Day is an important day for men's health - Video - February 18th, 2015
- Treatments for Low Testosterone from Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Edition - Video - February 15th, 2015
- Testosterone treatment soars, but is it the answer? - Video - February 15th, 2015
- Why is Low Testosterone so Common - Video - February 12th, 2015
- 7 ways hormones improve your quality of life - February 5th, 2015
- Low Testosterone In Women - VieNue Bioidentical ... - February 1st, 2015
- Low T | How To Increase Testosterone Naturally - February 1st, 2015
- Low Testosterone Symptoms | eHow - eHow | How to ... - January 31st, 2015
- Low Testosterone | Symptoms, Causes, Treatments - January 30th, 2015
- Analysis Rejects Linkage Between Testosterone Therapy And Cardiovascular Risk - January 28th, 2015
- Bodybuilding supplement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - January 11th, 2015
- Strategy Might Thwart Resistance to a Common Prostate Cancer Treatment - January 10th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Treatment for Men Insurance Accepted ... - December 29th, 2014
- What is Testosterone? | Boston Medical Group - December 29th, 2014
- Renew Male Review: Fix Low Testosterone With Natural Booster - Video - December 22nd, 2014
- Symptoms of A Low Testosterone Level How To Know Quickly - Video - December 22nd, 2014
- The Link Between Low Testosterone and Heart Disease - December 17th, 2014
- The ONE Hormone That Makes You FAT and Kills Your SEX Drive - Video - December 12th, 2014
Word Count: 1004