Video Link: https://vimeo.com/293593212
Video Download: Methadone Suppresses Testosterone Production In Men
Video Stream: Methadone Suppresses Testosterone Production In Men
Research shows that treatment for Opioid Addiction can significantly suppress Testosterone Production in male patients. These conclusions are derived from an article published in Scientific Reports, conducted by researchers from McMaster University in Hamilton, Canada.
In the past, it has been noted that addiction to Opioids, including Heroin and Oxycontin, can suppress Testosterone Levels, but this study quantifies the significance of that Hormone Suppression. This research shows that Opioid Dependency Treatments, which use drugs such as Methadone to curtail the addiction to harder and more dangerous Opioids, reduce Testosterone Levels by far more than medical professionals previously assumed.
The lead researcher for this study, Dr. Zena Samaan, explains that the results were so dramatic that they believed that they had made an error somewhere in their calculations. When they went back and analyzed the data and the science behind the results, however, everything was sound.
The data for this study was collected from 231 participants, all of which were taking Methadone as an aspect of their Opioid Dependency Treatments in Ontario, Canada. This data was compared to 783 men and women from Ontario that did not use Opioids.
In Canada, as well as in the United States, it is common to treat patients with Opioid Addiction with Methadone, and all patients analyzed in this study were currently on such a regimen. What they found was that men taking Methadone experienced Serum Testosterone Concentrations 75% lower than their control counterparts that weren't using such drugs. Although Testosterone Levels in males were profoundly impacted, the drugs had little to no influence on Testosterone Production in women.
How do Opioids Lower Testosterone?
The use of Opioids leads to a condition known as Opioid-Induced Androgen Deficiency. The actions of Opioids upon the Hypothalamus reduce the production of Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone, which suppresses the production of Luteinizing Hormone, an essential precursor to both the creation of Testosterone and Sperm.
Many men with OIAD even suffer from significant fertility issues as a result of their treatment. Research suggests that there are Opioid receptors in the Hypothalamus that exist to modulate the production of sex hormones, but in patients using Opioids, whether for Chronic Pain, Recreationally, or Addiction Treatment, Opioids provide their beneficial effects while also blocking the production of sex hormone precursors by the Hypothalamus, which leads to Testosterone Deficiency.
Testosterone Deficiency Leads to Significant Clinical Side-Effects
Testosterone Deficiency associated with Opioid Dependency Treatment leads to a variety of side-effects that can be attributed to the Hormone Deficiency, including mood disorders, erectile dysfunction, fatigue, and reduced quality of life. In many cases, these symptoms can be so dramatic that it causes patients to stop Opioid Dependency Treatment, which can increase their risk of becoming addicted once again. Testosterone Therapy may become an integral part of Opioid Dependency Therapy in the near future.
Also, Testosterone Production can change significantly while a man is on Opioid Dependency Treatments. These treatments work by providing patients with a steady dose of Methadone, which is slowly reduced over time to mitigate the severe symptoms of withdrawal. Testosterone Levels remain suppressed as a result of Methadone Treatment and are prone to fluctuation as a result of this weaning process.
Dr. Samaan sincerely believes that Testosterone Therapy should be an option for these patients, to improve their quality of life while recovering from addiction, and to reduce the incidence of side-effects associated with the treatment. Many patients aren't open about talking about Testosterone with their doctor, but she believes that these patients should open up a dialog about Testosterone, and make sure that Low-T Related Symptoms get treated as an aspect of their recovery.
Experts at the John Street Clinic believe that around twenty percent of male patients using Methadone for addiction therapy need Testosterone Replacement or some other form of Hormone Therapy to optimize their treatment.
Despite Testosterone Deficiency Risk, Men Recover from Addiction More Effectively with Methadone
This kind of research is obviously beneficial to both patients and the medical profession, but some medical professionals believe that there is potential for this sort of information to cause Opioid Users not to enter Opioid Dependency Treatment. For this reason, it is vital to emphasize the effectiveness of the treatment and the option of Hormone Therapy if symptoms of Testosterone Deficiency arise.
This research is also useful because its results can be used to underline the importance of monitoring Testosterone Levels in older men that may use Prescription Opioids for Chronic Pain or other reasons. Testosterone Deficiency is a real and significant medical issue that can increase mortality risk from a variety of factors, including Cardiovascular Disease and Heart Attack. By recognizing the effects that pain treatments have on hormone balance, it leads doctors to become more aware of the risks and potentially open up the door for Hormone Treatments for men that would not have gotten the opportunity to take them before.
Other Studies Associate Opioid Use to Testosterone Deficiency
Studies involving Heroin Addicts have also noted the impact that Opioids can have upon the production of Testosterone. Luckily, it appears that the use of Opioids only leads to a temporary reduction in Testosterone Levels. In one study, it was discovered that Testosterone Production returned to normal after just a month after the patient quit using Heroin and other Opioids.
Opioid use directly impacts the function of the testicles in addition to merely reducing Testosterone Levels. In particular, Opioid Use has been clinically shown to reduce the mobility of sperm, as well as the production of interstitial fluid in the testicles.
Another study, which also used patients taking Methadone for Opioid Dependency, gathered data from 25 patients. Researchers found that 68% of the subjects had Testosterone Levels that were abnormally low. This level was higher for men that were over the age of fifty, of which, 87.5% of subjects displayed low T-Values. In particular, Luteinizing Hormone Levels, along with Total and Free Testosterone Levels were suppressed, whereas Prolactin and Follicle-Stimulating Hormone Levels remained in the normal range.
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Low Total Testosterone in Men Linked to Chronic Diseases - January 11th, 2023 [August 11th, 2022]
- Six Benefits of Testosterone Boosting Supplements - January 3rd, 2023 [June 9th, 2022]
- Did You Know? Testosterone Protects Your Heart! - January 21st, 2022 [January 21st, 2022]
- Marijuana and Testosterone Levels: Are Your Manboobs Caused by Smoking Weed? - January 10th, 2023 [October 19th, 2021]
- Low Levels of Testosterone Linked to Sleep Apnea - January 5th, 2023 [September 29th, 2021]
- Testosterone, Intelligence, and Your Brain - December 19th, 2022 [September 1st, 2021]
- Increased Fat Intake Could Boost Moderate Low Testosterone Levels - January 7th, 2023 [June 13th, 2021]
- Low Testosterone In Women - VieNue Bioidentical ... - November 18th, 2021 [May 30th, 2021]
- Truth About Testosterone Quiz: Low Testosterone and Axiron - October 21st, 2021 [April 26th, 2021]
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - November 20th, 2021 [April 25th, 2021]
- Testosterone cream and gel for supplementation treating hypogonadism - November 29th, 2021 [March 13th, 2021]
- Ester Marsh: Low testosterone and exercise - November 6th, 2020 [November 6th, 2020]
- It is the rare man who has low T - November 14th, 2020 [November 4th, 2020]
- Low Testosterone Linked to Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease - January 10th, 2023 [September 10th, 2020]
- Hypotestosteronism - Low Testosterone and Hypogonadism - January 10th, 2023 [June 12th, 2020]
- The Effects of Marijuana on Testosterone Production - October 28th, 2021 [May 16th, 2020]
- Can Testosterone Deficiency Cause or Contribute to Feelings of Depression? - October 24th, 2021 [May 6th, 2020]
- How Low Testosterone Could Be Deadly - November 22nd, 2021 [April 24th, 2020]
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - October 21st, 2021 [February 11th, 2020]
- Low Testosterone Explained - WebMD - July 26th, 2018 [July 29th, 2016]
- Testosterone therapy: Potential benefits and risks as you age - Mayo Clinic - October 24th, 2020 [July 29th, 2016]
- Low Testosterone in Men - Hormone Health Network - November 13th, 2020 [May 9th, 2016]
- 7 Symptoms of Low Testosterone in Women - October 31st, 2020 [May 9th, 2016]
- Low Male Testosterone Level - Symptoms and Diagnosis - November 24th, 2020 [April 29th, 2016]
- Low Testosterone (Low-T) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - eMedicineHealth - November 2nd, 2020 [April 17th, 2016]
- How can I boost my testosterone level? - WebMD Answers - October 18th, 2020 [April 10th, 2016]
- Increase Low Testosterone Levels with Testosterone-Rx ... - March 20th, 2016 [February 8th, 2016]
- Low Testosterone and Your Health - WebMD - January 5th, 2018 [October 29th, 2015]
- Low Testosterone - Steroid .com - November 16th, 2020 [October 22nd, 2015]
- LowTestosterone.com - Symptoms of Low Testosterone - November 11th, 2020 [October 5th, 2015]
- Is Low Testosterone Affecting Your Health? - January 27th, 2018 [August 8th, 2015]
- Low Testosterone (Low-T): Get Facts on Levels and Treatment - November 5th, 2020 [August 7th, 2015]
- Low Testosterone in Men With Diabetes - October 28th, 2020 [July 6th, 2015]
- Myths and Misconceptions around Low Testosterone Treatment - Video - October 10th, 2020 [May 4th, 2015]
- Low Testosterone Cure Intro - Video - March 20th, 2016 [May 3rd, 2015]
- Luke McNally - Low Vitamin D may cause low testosterone - Video - October 20th, 2020 [April 30th, 2015]
- Low Testosterone Therapy Risks and Benefits - Video - October 3rd, 2020 [April 25th, 2015]
- Too Much Estrogen? Every Man Should Watch This! - Video - October 17th, 2020 [April 24th, 2015]
- The Truth About Low Testosterone - Video - November 14th, 2020 [April 21st, 2015]
- Low Testosterone - Men Lose 90% of their Testosterone from age 25 to age 70 - Video - October 29th, 2020 [April 21st, 2015]
- Ageless Living - Topic: Low Testosterone - Video - November 2nd, 2020 [April 17th, 2015]
- 10 Foods That overcome low testosterone levels - Video - November 26th, 2020 [April 17th, 2015]
- Low testosterone - April 13th - Video - November 6th, 2020 [April 17th, 2015]
- Low testosterone help - Video - October 10th, 2020 [April 11th, 2015]
- Low Testosterone Treatment Center in St. Louis | Low T Therapy - November 4th, 2020 [April 4th, 2015]
- Low-T in women can lead to obesity, study finds - March 20th, 2016 [April 2nd, 2015]
- Men's Health Show | Low-T, Prostate, Robotic Surgery - Video - October 18th, 2020 [March 30th, 2015]
- How can we find out if my husband has low testosterone? - Video - March 20th, 2016 [March 29th, 2015]
- How Even Borderline Low T Might Affect Your Health - Video - November 18th, 2020 [March 14th, 2015]
- Feel Like You are 25 Again,Low Testosterone, Testosterone solution - Video - March 5th, 2015 [March 5th, 2015]
- Antares Announces Positive Pharmacokinetic Results From QuickShot Phase 3 Study - November 26th, 2020 [February 25th, 2015]
- Low Testosterone anxiety - Men's Health - MedHelp - November 28th, 2020 [February 23rd, 2015]
- low libido High Testosterone - Urology - MedHelp - November 13th, 2020 [February 23rd, 2015]
- Low Testosterone Therapy | Men's Health - November 13th, 2020 [February 23rd, 2015]
- Valentine's Day is an important day for men's health - Video - October 23rd, 2020 [February 18th, 2015]
- Treatments for Low Testosterone from Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Edition - Video - November 7th, 2020 [February 15th, 2015]
- Testosterone treatment soars, but is it the answer? - Video - November 20th, 2020 [February 15th, 2015]
- Why is Low Testosterone so Common - Video - February 12th, 2015 [February 12th, 2015]
- 7 ways hormones improve your quality of life - May 4th, 2015 [February 5th, 2015]
- Low T | How To Increase Testosterone Naturally - November 19th, 2020 [February 1st, 2015]
- Low Testosterone Symptoms | eHow - eHow | How to ... - December 20th, 2017 [January 31st, 2015]
- Low Testosterone | Symptoms, Causes, Treatments - November 30th, 2020 [January 30th, 2015]
- Analysis Rejects Linkage Between Testosterone Therapy And Cardiovascular Risk - May 4th, 2015 [January 28th, 2015]
- Bodybuilding supplement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - November 10th, 2020 [January 11th, 2015]
- Strategy Might Thwart Resistance to a Common Prostate Cancer Treatment - November 21st, 2020 [January 10th, 2015]
- Low Testosterone Treatment for Men Insurance Accepted ... - December 13th, 2017 [December 29th, 2014]
- What is Testosterone? | Boston Medical Group - October 21st, 2020 [December 29th, 2014]
- Renew Male Review: Fix Low Testosterone With Natural Booster - Video - November 21st, 2020 [December 22nd, 2014]
- Symptoms of A Low Testosterone Level How To Know Quickly - Video - November 25th, 2020 [December 22nd, 2014]
- The Link Between Low Testosterone and Heart Disease - November 5th, 2020 [December 17th, 2014]
- The ONE Hormone That Makes You FAT and Kills Your SEX Drive - Video - November 21st, 2020 [December 12th, 2014]
- Manhood down the drain, everyday products could be wiping out your testosterone - November 14th, 2020 [November 27th, 2014]
- How To Get Rid Of Low Testosterone Using Home Remedies? - Video - October 4th, 2020 [November 26th, 2014]
- Low Testosterone? Boost it Naturally! - Video - October 13th, 2020 [November 22nd, 2014]
- Is Low Testosterone Dangerous to Your Health? - January 2nd, 2018 [November 19th, 2014]
- diabetes - Video - November 15th, 2020 [November 18th, 2014]
- Gladstone Barret -Low Testosterone Levels - Video - October 18th, 2020 [November 17th, 2014]
- Healthy Living Series on Low Testosterone - Video - November 15th, 2014 [November 15th, 2014]
- Low Testosterone | Men's Health Doctor | Dr George Forgan-Smith - Video - October 26th, 2014 [October 26th, 2014]
- ASK UNMC! What treatments are available for low testosterone and are they safe? - Video - November 9th, 2020 [October 23rd, 2014]
Word Count: 1004