Contrary to popular belief, study suggests the relationship between the two works the other way
FRIDAY, March 13, 2015 (HealthDay News) — Experts have long assumed that as a man’s testosterone level drops, so does his sex life.
But a new study suggests the reverse may be true.
“Most people in or out of medicine assume that a lowered serum testosterone may cause reduced sexual activity. But our study questions, if not entirely refutes, that assumption and suggests it is the other way around,” said Dr. David Handelsman, a researcher at the University of Sydney, in New South Wales, Australia.
And skyrocketing sales of testosterone supplements are being fueled by that widespread assumption, even though it might not be correct, Handelsman added.
For example, one doctor not involved with the study questioned the finding, noting that other lifestyle factors might be affecting testosterone levels as men age.
And the study wasn’t designed to take those factors into account.
In the study, the researchers evaluated more than 1,700 men, age 70 and above, in Sydney.
The researchers tested the men at the study’s start and then again two years later when the number of men in the survey had dropped to about 1,300.
At both visits, the men answered questions about sexual functioning, including how often they were able to get and keep a viable erection, how often they had a sexual activity that led to ejaculation, including masturbation and intercourse, and how much desire for sex they had compared to when they were 50.
The researchers also measured blood levels of testosterone and other hormones at both visits.
They found that a decline in testosterone, although it was less than a 10 percent drop, was linked to decreased sexual activity and desire, but not to fewer erections.
“The reduction in sexual function was strongly associated with a reduction in serum testosterone [levels] in our study,” Handelsman said.
However, the decrease was small and other research has shown that it takes a 70 percent or 80 percent drop in testosterone to affect sexual functioning, he added.
“So, the effect [of lower testosterone in the study] is too small to cause reduced sexual function, and it must be a cause or an effect, [so] it is most likely a result [of less sexual activity],” Handelsman said.
Study Results Inconclusive
Even so, a cause-and-effect link cannot be claimed with certainty, since the study was observational and only showed an association, he added.
However, the common assumption that lower testosterone leads to less sexual desire and activity has “been a major motive for the massive epidemic in testosterone prescribing in the United States over recent decades,” Handelsman said.
Recently, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ordered testosterone supplement makers to include a warning about a possible increased risk of heart attack and stroke with testosterone supplement use.
The study findings, Handelsman added, don’t deny that giving testosterone at high enough doses does increase sexual activity and interest in both young and older men.
He declined to provide advice about whether increasing sexual activity of any type might maintain testosterone levels in older men.
The study findings were presented recently at the Endocrine Society’s annual meeting in San Diego.
Studies presented at medical meetings are viewed as preliminary until published in a peer-reviewed medical journal.
Dr. Brad Anawalt, an endocrinologist, and professor of medicine at the University of Washington in Seattle was not convinced, although he called the results exciting.
“I think the underlying premise is not right, and not supported by the study,” he said. “You just can’t attribute a cause-and-effect relationship in a study like this.”
However, Anawalt said, “data are suggesting that increased physical activity does increase serum testosterone.”
Men who stay sexually active, he said, may also have other sound habits, such as eating better and exercising more.
“That may be the relationship we are seeing,” he said. “Sexual activity may be a marker for good health habits.”
Dr. Anawalt’s Advice?
“For men out there interested in having healthy sexual lives and having normal testosterone, if they can maintain better health and be more physically active, they are more likely to have a better sex life.”
Contact Us Now
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - May 17th, 2018
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - May 16th, 2018
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - May 16th, 2018
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - May 9th, 2018
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - May 5th, 2018
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - May 3rd, 2018
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - May 2nd, 2018
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - May 1st, 2018
- Testosterone Nasal Gel: A New Form of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 1st, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Boosts Aerobic Capacity - December 9th, 2017
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) reduces the risk of serious adverse health consequences! - December 8th, 2017
- Oral Testosterone Pill Could Make Lipocine's share price SKYROCKET - December 2nd, 2017
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - December 1st, 2017
- Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the arteries) in Older Men - November 25th, 2017
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT cause prostate cancer to spread - November 18th, 2017
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - November 17th, 2017
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone. - November 11th, 2017
- The testosterone industry globally is booming - November 10th, 2017
- Five Benefits of Testosterone that you need to know - November 4th, 2017
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - October 26th, 2017
- The Effects of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels - October 14th, 2017
- Baby Boomers find “The Fountain of Youth” in Testosterone - October 9th, 2017
- The Truth About Testosterone | The Dr. Oz Show - June 9th, 2016
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - June 9th, 2016
- How Men Work | HowStuffWorks - May 28th, 2016
- 6 Ways to Increase Testosterone Levels Naturally - wikiHow - May 4th, 2016
- Testosterone: Common Questions | Testosterone Test: Total ... - May 4th, 2016
- Adrenalast Testosterone Booster | Boost Muscle Sexual ... - April 6th, 2016
- How to Lower Testosterone in Women | eHow - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Booster Reviews - Consumers Guides - February 8th, 2016
- A Harvard expert shares his thoughts on testosterone ... - February 8th, 2016
- Buy Steroids Online | Anabolic Steroids for Sale ... - February 8th, 2016
- Myokem Magnitropin, Testosterone Boosting King, Safe and ... - February 8th, 2016
- Does Andro 400 Work; does it increase testosterone? - February 8th, 2016
- All About Testosterone! - Bodybuilding.com - February 8th, 2016
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - January 28th, 2016
- 5 Natural Testosterone Boosters - Healthline - November 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone - Low-T and Androgen Replacement Therapy - November 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - October 26th, 2015
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - October 24th, 2015
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - October 24th, 2015
- Effect of vitamin D supplementation on testosterone levels ... - October 17th, 2015
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - October 12th, 2015
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - October 10th, 2015
- Testosterone nasal gel works best at three doses a day, study finds - October 4th, 2015
- Testosterone: The Test | Testosterone Test: Total ... - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone: A Major Breakthrough for Menopausal Women - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - October 1st, 2015
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - September 30th, 2015
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - September 28th, 2015
- Low-T and Your Health - September 25th, 2015
- Testosterone and Geriatric Frailty - September 19th, 2015
- Seven Types of Drugs that Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - September 19th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Treatment, Low T - AXIRON (testosterone ... - September 16th, 2015
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - September 16th, 2015
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - September 15th, 2015
- Testosterone - Steroids Profile - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Articles! - Bodybuilding.com - September 1st, 2015
- High and Low Testosterone Levels in Men MedicineNet - September 1st, 2015
- Nugenix Testosterone Booster NUGENIX GNC - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Transdermal Patch: MedlinePlus Drug Information - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Booster - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage ... - September 1st, 2015
- You & Your Hormones | Hormones | Testosterone - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - August 12th, 2015
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - August 11th, 2015
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - August 8th, 2015
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - August 8th, 2015
- Health portal - August 3rd, 2015
- Physiology of Testosterone - August 1st, 2015
- Normal Testosterone Levels - Urology - MedHelp - July 26th, 2015
- Tribulus Terrestris Review Does It Raise Testosterone or ... - July 18th, 2015
- Lack of Energy May Mean Lack of Testosterone - DrAxe.com - July 18th, 2015
- How to Increase Testosterone Naturally: PaleoEdge - July 15th, 2015
- How to Deal with Testosterone Decline - Mercola.com - July 8th, 2015
- Testosterone Cypionate Watson :: Buy Testosterone ... - July 4th, 2015
- What Traders’ Testosterone Tells Us About Markets - June 11th, 2015
- Clomiphene Citrate (Clomid) in Men - A Testosterone ... - May 26th, 2015
- Bio-Identical HRT and Testosterone Therapy in Women ... - May 24th, 2015
- Depo-Testosterone Inj - Uses, Side Effects, Interactions ... - May 24th, 2015
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - May 8th, 2015