Sleep is an integral aspect of good health. To maximize wellness, you should be getting 7-9 hours of restful sleep per night. Unfortunately, many men have trouble sleeping as they grow older.
One major issue that impairs sleep quality is Nocturia. Nocturia is the medical term for regularly having to go to urinate one or more times per night during sleep. This condition impacts a person's ability to get a good night's sleep because it forces you to get out of bed.
Nocturia and Poor Sleep Quality have long been linked to some health issues, such as increased impulsiveness, irritability, lack of focus, and fatigue, but continuing research builds upon what we already know and shows that lack of restful sleep is an issue that causes widespread problems beyond energy and focus.
In May, researchers presented new information regarding Nocturia and Poor Sleep at the most recent meeting of the American Urological Association. A collection of studies released over the last year shows that Nocturia and restless sleep contribute to increased mortality risk, increased BMI, erectile dysfunction, and Low Testosterone.
The fact that these similar studies were published concurrently only increases the strength of the provided information.
Link Between Nocturia and Mortality Risk
As men age, they become more prone to bladder control issues during sleep. This problem can be a result of increased prostate size, along with other involved factors. Nocturia is clinically defined as having to go to the bathroom at least twice per night.
Men with this condition are forced to get up in the middle of the night to go, which has a terrible effect on sleep quality.
Nocturia has already been clinically linked to some other issues such as the increased risk of slips and falls; this research is among the first to demonstrate the adverse effect on mortality risk that is associated with Nocturia.
Researchers in this analysis utilized the information available from REDUCE, a massive study designed to discover new ways to diminish Prostate Cancer Risk in males.
Data were collected for four years. Data analysis showed that Nocturia increased the risk of death even when various factors were taken into account, including race, region, diabetes, heart disease, BMI, and Age.
As the link between the risk of death and Nocturia is studied further, it will likely lead to an increased emphasis on treating Nocturia to reduce that risk.
Poor Sleep Quality Correlated with Low-T
A second study presented at the meeting of the American Urological Association analyzed the correlation between Testosterone Deficiency and Unhealthy Sleeping Habits. Data for this Low-T analysis was collected from the National Health and Nutrition Survey.
To date, there has been a powerfully demonstrated link between male hypogonadism and metabolic syndrome, erectile dysfunction, and heart disease. While these connections are clear, there are various other hypothesized health issues that have not been shown so clearly.
The goal of this study was to determine the effects of disruptive sleep on Testosterone Production.
Using the data from the National Health and Nutrition Survey, researchers gathered information from almost 2700 men of at least sixteen years of age.
They collected demographic information, activity level, amount of sleep per day, Total Testosterone Levels, and Comorbid Conditions for each subject.
Statistical investigation showed that Testosterone Deficiency was strongly correlated with both increased Body Mass Index and poor quality of sleep. This just goes to show how many factors influence Testosterone Levels.
As guys age, their risk of Low-T increases naturally as a result of Somatopause. High BMI and poor sleep further threaten Testosterone Balance.
Studies like this show that exercise, proper nutrition, and healthy sleep all play a role in protecting and safeguarding healthy Testosterone Levels.
In many patients, especially younger patients, improved habits, increased activity, and weight loss may be all that it takes to get Total Testosterone back in the normal range.
Erectile Dysfunction Linked to Low-Quality Sleep
One of the most recognized symptoms of Testosterone Deficiency is Erectile Dysfunction, along with low libido and fatigue. A third study released during this conference examined the link between impaired erectile function and poor sleep among 377 males.
These participants averaged 46 years of age. Patients had numerous variables considered, including medications, caffeine usage, BMI, when they worked, smoking, Body Mass Index, and their potential comorbidity with various conditions and ailments.
After collecting this data, researchers controlled for PDE5 Inhibitor usage, Testosterone Level, Level of Comorbidity, BMI, and Age. Researchers demonstrated that, even when controlled for Serum Testosterone and other factors, individuals with poor sleep quality experienced increased issues with erectile function.
Other factors that suppressed sexual sufficiency were high levels of comorbidity, depression, age, and melatonin use. Perhaps surprisingly, Sleep Apnea did not have an impact on Erectile Function.
This study shows that, even for patients without Low-T, poor sleeping habits can have a tremendous effect on the ability to have an active and productive sex life.
Are you interested in Low-T Diagnosis and Treatment from a Trusted HRT Clinic? Contact us today!
As you can see, there are a litany of factors that contribute to Testosterone Deficiency and many health issues that have a strong correlation with unhealthy sleeping habits.
If you feel that your poor sleep may be having an impact on your quality of life, we encourage readers to reach out and see a licensed sleep specialist.
On the other hand, if you feel that Testosterone Deficiency is the root of your problems, our American Board Certified Hormone Specialists may be able to help you restore your Libido, Energy, and Sexual Function through the use of Bio-Identical Testosterone Therapy!
Effect of 1 Week of Sleep Restriction on Testosterone Levels in Young Healthy Men
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Are All HRT Clinics the Same? - April 30th, 2023 [April 21st, 2023]
- Avatar director James Cameron says testosterone is toxic. Commentators on Twitter call him a 'beta male' - December 6th, 2022 [December 6th, 2022]
- Two Food Compounds can reduce Alzheimer's Risk! - January 16th, 2023 [December 1st, 2022]
- Blue Zones Ground Zero of Longevity - November 12th, 2022 [November 8th, 2022]
- Tongkat Ali - Does this Testosterone Boosting Herbal Supplement Actually Work? - October 27th, 2022 [October 27th, 2022]
- Male menopause: it’s real! - December 16th, 2022 [October 26th, 2022]
- Recent Poll concludes: Sexual health is a big concern for men - January 2nd, 2023 [October 5th, 2022]
- Testosterone Impacts Behavior Based on Social Context—An Animal Study - October 7th, 2022 [September 25th, 2022]
- Testosterone Lowers Insulin Resistance in Obese Men - January 16th, 2023 [September 25th, 2022]
- Could Low-T Affect Employment Status? - September 9th, 2022 [September 1st, 2022]
- Keto Diet for Weight Loss and Low-T Relief - December 31st, 2022 [August 2nd, 2022]
- Tlando Oral Testosterone - A Pill for Low-T - June 24th, 2022 [June 14th, 2022]
- The Importance of Follicle-Stimulating Hormone for Men - June 24th, 2022 [February 10th, 2022]
- Jatenzo Testosterone Oral Treatment for Low Testosterone - June 24th, 2022 [December 16th, 2021]
- Testosterone Increases Tenacity and Persistence In Spite of Long Odds - May 17th, 2023 [November 27th, 2021]
- The Impact of Diet on Testosterone - Investigating the Science - November 26th, 2021 [November 9th, 2021]
- Investigating the Effects of Weed on Testosterone Levels and Sexual Health - November 17th, 2021 [October 30th, 2021]
- Improve Sexual Health and Testosterone Levels By Adopting the Mediterranean Diet - November 27th, 2021 [October 2nd, 2021]
- Considering the Potential of Testosterone Therapy for Some Prostate Cancer Patients - November 6th, 2021 [September 9th, 2021]
- Testosterone Boosting Foods - Food Science Explored - November 27th, 2021 [September 9th, 2021]
- Alaska Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - October 18th, 2021 [September 8th, 2021]
- Fracking Pollution Potential Danger to Testosterone Levels - November 2nd, 2021 [September 8th, 2021]
- Increase Longevity and Live Healthier with the Help of These Supplements - October 18th, 2021 [August 6th, 2021]
- What Doctors Think You Should Understand About Testosterone - November 29th, 2021 [July 1st, 2021]
- Eleven Year Study Showcases Benefits of Testosterone Therapy for Weight Loss - November 12th, 2021 [June 24th, 2021]
- Men With Low-T at Greater Risk of Deadly Covid-19 Complications - November 11th, 2021 [June 3rd, 2021]
- Combining Exercise with Testosterone Therapy for Better Results - November 16th, 2021 [May 28th, 2021]
- Exercise Enhances the Benefits of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - November 19th, 2021 [May 13th, 2021]
- Premature Ejaculation More Common Than You Think - October 29th, 2021 [May 6th, 2021]
- Pro-Inflammatory Diet May Significantly Increase Low-T Risk - November 16th, 2021 [April 29th, 2021]
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy provides heart protection - April 15th, 2021 [April 15th, 2021]
- Six Hacks to Naturally Boost Testosterone Production - November 19th, 2021 [April 14th, 2021]
- The Effects of Parenthood on Testosterone Levels in Men - November 6th, 2021 [April 8th, 2021]
- The Effects of Masturbation on Sex Drive and Testosterone - November 21st, 2021 [April 8th, 2021]
- Study Explores the Effects of Testosterone on Generosity - November 18th, 2021 [April 4th, 2021]
- Over exertion in Endurance Training Can Lower Testosterone - November 18th, 2021 [March 22nd, 2021]
- Primary vs. Secondary Hypogonadism in Men - November 1st, 2021 [March 15th, 2021]
- Covid-19 May Impair Testosterone Levels - October 16th, 2021 [March 9th, 2021]
- Boosting Testosterone Levels and Enhancing Wellness Without Prescriptions and Supplements - October 21st, 2021 [March 5th, 2021]
- Building Muscle, Burning Fat, and Busting Myths - November 6th, 2021 [March 5th, 2021]
- Anakinra May Improve Testosterone Levels in Patients with Metabolic Syndrome - November 27th, 2021 [March 3rd, 2021]
- FDA Approves Jatenzo Oral Testosterone Replacement for Certain Types of Hypogonadism - October 17th, 2021 [February 24th, 2021]
- Vitamin D and Sunlight for Mood and Hormone Balance - October 24th, 2021 [February 22nd, 2021]
- Montana Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 3rd, 2021 [February 21st, 2021]
- South Dakota Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 1st, 2021 [February 19th, 2021]
- Hormone Levels and Smoking -- What You Can Do to Stop Smoking for Good! - November 12th, 2021 [February 17th, 2021]
- Maine Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - October 24th, 2021 [February 16th, 2021]
- Minnesota Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 12th, 2021 [February 10th, 2021]
- Oklahoma Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 27th, 2021 [February 9th, 2021]
- The Effect of Success on Testosterone Levels and Romantic Self-Perception - November 1st, 2021 [February 8th, 2021]
- Wyoming Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 23rd, 2021 [February 7th, 2021]
- "Mano-pause" AKA Male Menopause or Andropause, and the Treatment of Age-Related Low-T / Low Testosterone / Hypogonadism - November 6th, 2021 [February 7th, 2021]
- Mississippi Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 6th, 2021 [February 6th, 2021]
- Hawaii Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - October 31st, 2021 [February 4th, 2021]
- Dallas Texas Testosterone Clinics for Bio-Identical Testosterone Replacement Therapy - October 26th, 2021 [February 3rd, 2021]
- Massachusetts Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 23rd, 2021 [January 29th, 2021]
- New Mexico Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 20th, 2021 [January 27th, 2021]
- Nevada Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - October 19th, 2021 [January 24th, 2021]
- Delaware Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 20th, 2021 [January 23rd, 2021]
- The Four Best Ways to Amplify Testosterone Levels - November 15th, 2021 [January 21st, 2021]
- Arkansas Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 29th, 2021 [January 18th, 2021]
- Arizona Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 15th, 2021 [January 14th, 2021]
- Precursor Fat Cells and Their Potential Role in Obesity - October 18th, 2021 [December 30th, 2020]
- Xyosted Self-Administered Testosterone Therapy FDA-Approved - November 7th, 2021 [December 23rd, 2020]
- Testosterone Therapy Reduces Mortality Risk Among Diabetics Even When Accounting for Improvements in Cardiovascular Risk Factors - November 28th, 2021 [December 16th, 2020]
- Male Fertility Myths and Misunderstandings Resolved - October 31st, 2021 [December 15th, 2020]
- The Effects of Testosterone Among Healthy Men and Men With Low-T - November 13th, 2021 [December 14th, 2020]
- San Francisco Testosterone Clinics for Bio-Identical Testosterone Replacement Therapy - November 29th, 2021 [December 9th, 2020]
- Low-T Strongly Associated with Various Co-Morbid Medical Conditions - November 19th, 2021 [December 4th, 2020]
- Natesto: FDA-Approved Nasal Testosterone Gel - November 16th, 2021 [December 1st, 2020]
- New Hampshire Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - October 19th, 2021 [November 29th, 2020]
- Wisconsin Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - October 29th, 2021 [November 25th, 2020]
- Connecticut Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 18th, 2021 [November 24th, 2020]
- Scientific Debate Over Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Low-T Continues - November 3rd, 2021 [November 16th, 2020]
- Some Women May Benefit from Testosterone for Menopause - October 29th, 2021 [November 14th, 2020]
- Sioux Falls Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - October 26th, 2021 [November 11th, 2020]
- Chattanooga Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - October 23rd, 2021 [November 11th, 2020]
- Clarksville Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - November 5th, 2021 [November 11th, 2020]
- Knoxville Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - November 21st, 2021 [November 11th, 2020]
- Memphis Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - November 14th, 2021 [November 11th, 2020]
Word Count: 958