Testosterone and Hormone Deficiency Associated with Physiological Decline in Elderly Men
It has long been known that Low-T affects male sexual health in a profound way, leading to sexual insufficiency as well as reduced libido.
There is also a growing understanding with regard to how Testosterone affects male masculinity and physiological health. There is a large push in the medical literature right now to scientifically evaluate how Testosterone Deficiency affects geriatric health and wellness.
Australian Elderly Low-T Study
A recent study was published by Australian researchers and presented at the 16th Annual International Congress of Endocrinology.
With this study, researchers presented strong evidence that geriatric men with Low-T or other forms of sex-hormone deficiency experienced double the risk of experiencing a physiological decline over the course of a two year period when compared to men of the same age with comparatively high sex hormone levels.
The lead researcher for this Elderly Low-T Study was Benjamin Hsu, a representative of the University of Sydney Australia.
He and his research partners collected medical and health information from over 1300 men all at least seventy years of age, which received health exams between the years of 2005 and 2007, which also received a second assessment after two years.
Health Data Collected from CHAMP Patients
All of the patients that were assessed chose to be a part of a medical study group known as the Concord Health and Ageing Project, also known as CHAMP. CHAMP is one of the largest surveys of geriatric health ever collected, and new data continues to be collected.
CHAMP is primarily used for the study of diseases associated with aging, including urinary incontinence, osteoporosis, and Alzheimer's disease, but the data is also highly useful for a wide variety of other medical conditions associated with the aging process, including Testosterone Deficiency and Frailty, the two issues at play in Dr. Hsu's study.
Patients that chose to participate in the CHAMP study were originally recruited in 2005 and 2006. They received a health evaluation as they joined the study, and return for periodic examinations over time.
The ultimate goal of the study is to collect uniform health data after five and ten years, although many patients have chosen to participate more often. 1705 men are participating in the CHAMP study, and over 1300 were considered eligible candidates for this study.
Patients Self-Reported Their Ability To Perform Normal Daily Tasks
Upon entering the study, patients both provided a self-assessment via a medical questionnaire, and also met at Concord Hospital for a three-hour clinical evaluation.
The self-report included questions regarding a wide variety of activities that are associated with one's ability to live and take care of oneself, including their ability to engage in personal hygiene, dress, eat and walk. A part of their clinical evaluation included providing a blood sample that was thoroughly evaluated to provide ample diagnostic data with regard to their health.
All Patients Received Hormone Evaluation
Among this diagnostic data was hormone testing. All patients in the study were evaluated for their levels of both male-associated (dihydrotestosterone and Testosterone) and female associated hormones (estrone and estradiol).
Related to Testosterone, patients also engaged in the examination which gathered data on their strength, including the power of their quadriceps and the strength of their grip.
Hormone Deficiency Inhibits Quality of Life
When the data was analyzed, it was discovered that men that don't produce enough Testosterone, Estrone, or Estradiol are more likely to experience issues with their day-to-day function than men with healthy Testosterone Levels after two years.
The primary issue which induced this frailty appeared to be a reduction in the strength of the muscles, although other factors are likely at play.
Based on the data collected and analyzed, Dr. Hsu and his colleagues came to the conclusion that Testosterone Deficiency leads to reduced quality of life and personal freedom mainly because of the deleterious effects of Low-T upon muscle health.
Harvard Elderly Low-T Study
Other studies have come to similar conclusions. A Harvard study, led by Thomas Storer, examined the relationship between Low-T Treatment and cardiovascular ability.
In particular, they examined how Testosterone Treatment affected the ability of the cardiovascular system to absorb oxygen, as well as the rate at which it could expel lactate.
The data that was used in this study was collected from a previously conducted study of males over sixty-five that were selected because they had issues with frailty which reduced their ability to engage in a normal and healthy everyday life, and also because they were clinically evaluated to suffer from Low-T.
This study involved 64 patients, 36 of which received topical placebo, and 28 patients that received 10 mg of Testosterone Topical Gel.
Participants stayed on this health regimen for six months, then came back for evaluation. Six months is generally considered to be how long for Testosterone Therapy for Low-T to produce significant benefits with regard to health and wellness, especially with regard to physiological muscle health.
Testosterone Increases Aerobic Capacity
To assess aerobic capacity, the participants engaged in cycling exercise both before treatment and after treatment in order to evaluate changes in cardiovascular capacity.
The results were significant. Patients that received a placebo actually experienced a loss of exercise capacity, while those that received Testosterone had a modest increase in their capacity for exercise.
It is considered a normal aspect of aging for the anaerobic capacity to slowly decline as one ages, so the results were quite profound, showing that Testosterone Decline plays a role in increasing frailty associated with aging and that Testosterone Therapy is a valid way to alleviate this aspect of hormone imbalance and improve quality of life.
Subjects on placebo experienced a decline in oxygen absorption which was double the rate at which the researchers hypothesized.
On the other hand, participants that engaged in six months of Testosterone Therapy experienced a decline which was almost 3.5 times slower than was hypothesized.
Similar results were found with regard to the lactate expulsion rate. The experimental group was more readily able to expel this exhaust, which is also an element of peak aerobic capacity.
Researchers were able to conclude, based on this evidence, that Testosterone Therapy Gels had the capacity to slow down the physiological decline which leads to frailty and decreased quality of life.
Geriatric Testosterone Research Booming
The body of evidence with regard to Testosterone and Aging continues to grow. Testosterone is a potent anabolic hormone, and it promotes optimal muscle health for both men and women.
These two studies provide evidence regarding why it is important for men to undergo Hormone Evaluation in order to ensure that their Hormones are in balance and not affecting their quality of life.
Testosterone Misconceived as a Sexual Disorder in America
In America, Testosterone Deficiency is primarily considered by the public as a sexual disorder, so many men don't get tested as they should because they don't realize the serious effects of Low-T move far beyond Sexual function and desire, and how Low-T impacts health in a variety of ways.
Luckily, men do not tend to experience issues with bone health as commonly as women, but this also shows why Testosterone is important.
Men are less at risk of osteoporosis, because their elevated Testosterone Levels, as compared to women, lead them to have stronger bones.
Loss of bone mineral density is a symptom of aging-related to hormone decline, but it tends to become symptomatic far later in the life span, if at all, compared to female patients.
Contact Us Today
- Blocking Testosterone to Defeat Melanoma - August 11th, 2022
- Study Finds that Testosterone Boosts Memory for Uncontrolled Diabetics - June 24th, 2022
- Causes of Low Libido - Could It Be Low-T? - May 30th, 2022
- The Evolutionary Effects of Testosterone on Human Society - September 20th, 2021
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost Your Testosterone Levels - September 7th, 2021
- Men Want to Know – Free Testosterone versus Total Testosterone - August 24th, 2021
- What is testosterone? - May 23rd, 2021
- Tribulus Terrestris Review Does It Raise Testosterone or ... - May 22nd, 2021
- Boosting testosterone levels (First of two parts) - May 8th, 2021
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - May 1st, 2021
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - April 28th, 2021
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - April 25th, 2021
- Deer Antler, HGH and Testosterone: Tim on Scott and BR Radio Show - Video - April 17th, 2021
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - April 14th, 2021
- How Testosterone Affects the Skin of Men - April 11th, 2021
- Testosterone, the Power Hormone - April 8th, 2021
- Testosterone Levels and Wall Street - March 27th, 2021
- Women can resist testosterone-fuelled political debate - March 12th, 2021
- BUSTED: Myths About Testosterone And Its Link To Sexual Desire In Men And Women - March 11th, 2021
- Attention Baby Boomers -- Could Testosterone be the Modern Day "Fountain of Youth?" - March 4th, 2021
- Declining Testosterone Levels in Men Not Part of Normal Aging - February 28th, 2021
- Quick Weight Loss Tips and Diet Recommendations for HRT - February 28th, 2021
- Testosterone and Alcohol: Your Health and the Holiday Season - February 27th, 2021
- Testosterone builds muscle but has risks - February 25th, 2021
- New Study Finds That Testosterone Does Not Increase Cardiovascular Risk - February 22nd, 2021
- Evidence Suggests Testosterone Plays Powerful Role in Motivating Revolutionary Change - February 15th, 2021
- The Effects of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels - January 9th, 2021
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - January 6th, 2021
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - December 25th, 2020
- Testosterone Does Not Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries) in Older Men - December 24th, 2020
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Prostate Cancer to Spread - December 23rd, 2020
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - December 20th, 2020
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone - December 18th, 2020
- The Testosterone Industry Globally is Booming - December 12th, 2020
- Five Benefits of Testosterone That You Need to Know - December 11th, 2020
- Testosterone Nasal Gel: A New Form of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - December 5th, 2020
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - December 3rd, 2020
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - December 3rd, 2020
- Low-T and Your Health - November 30th, 2020
- Low Testosterone Levels may Affect Man's Sex Drive and Affect his Intimate Relationships - November 19th, 2020
- Is Testosterone the New Drug of Choice on Wall Street? How Traders are Using Male Hormone Booster Shots to Maintain a ... - November 12th, 2020
- Shorter course of ADT for high-risk prostate cancer patients yields improved quality of life - November 11th, 2020
- Testosterone Litigation: What You Need To Know - MTMP - Video - November 9th, 2020
- Methadone Lowers Testosterone in Men Only - November 8th, 2020
- Intricate relationship between Oestrogen & Testosterone XXY Guys (Klinefelters' syndrome) - Video - November 7th, 2020
- Should middle-aged men consider 'low T' treatment? - November 5th, 2020
- Testosterone and Crime: What Can Genes Tell Us About Behavior? - Video - October 25th, 2020
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women - October 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone levels seen prior to birth in fetus' fingers, jawline - October 20th, 2020
- Tri-Blend Testosterone. Understanding the Benefits of Testosterone Oils - October 19th, 2020
- Testosterone levels in older men - October 17th, 2020
- Tlando Testosterone Clinical Trial for Low-T and Fatty Liver Disease - October 4th, 2020
- Testosterone Focus in Diabetes Study – Video - September 30th, 2020
- Testshock Review All Natural Testosterone Enhancement – Video - September 30th, 2020
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - September 30th, 2020
- Average Testosterone Levels Decreasing Over Time Among Younger American Men - August 21st, 2020
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 10th, 2020
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - August 6th, 2020
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - August 5th, 2020
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - August 3rd, 2020
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - August 1st, 2020
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - July 29th, 2020
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - July 26th, 2020
- Seven Types of Drugs That Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - July 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - July 12th, 2020
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - July 12th, 2020
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - July 6th, 2020
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - July 5th, 2020
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - July 4th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Reduces the Risk of Serious Adverse Health Consequences! - June 30th, 2020
- Testosterone not always to blame - Sat, 04 Aug 2012 PST - June 28th, 2020
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - June 27th, 2020
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - June 23rd, 2020
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - June 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Boosts Aerobic Capacity - June 15th, 2020
- Physiology of Testosterone - June 9th, 2020
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - May 26th, 2020
- Dr. Andre Berger on Testosterone Deficiency in Men - Andropause Symptoms and Treatment By Doctor's Desk Series - May 21st, 2020
- How to Raise Testosterone Naturally. Sermorelin - Some Have Called It A The New Fountain of Youth. A Natural Cure for Anxiety and Depression. - May 9th, 2020
- Are Athletes Using Green Tea to Mask Testosterone Doping? - May 7th, 2020
Word Count: 1251