Testosterone and Hormone Deficiency Associated with Physiological Decline in Elderly Men
It has long been known that Low-T affects male sexual health in a profound way, leading to sexual insufficiency as well as reduced libido. There is also a growing understanding with regard to how Testosterone affects male masculinity and physiological health. There is a large push in the medical literature right now to scientifically evaluate how Testosterone Deficiency affects geriatric health and wellness.
Australian Elderly Low-T Study
A recent study was published by Australian researchers and presented at the 16th Annual International Congress of Endocrinology. With this study, researchers presented strong evidence that geriatric men with Low-T or other forms of sex-hormone deficiency experienced double the risk of experiencing physiological decline over the course of a two year period when compared to men of the same age with comparatively high sex hormone levels.
The lead researcher for this Elderly Low-T Study was Benjamin Hsu, a representive of the University of Sydney Australia. He and his research partners collected medical and health information from over 1300 men all at least seventy years of age, which received health exams between the years of 2005 and 2007, which also received a second assessment after two years.
Health Data Collected from CHAMP Patients
All of the patients that were assessed chose to be a part of a medical study group known as the Concord Health and Ageing Project, also known as CHAMP. CHAMP is one of the largest surveys of geriatric health ever collected, and new data continues to be collected. CHAMP is primarily used for the study of diseases associated with aging, including urinary incontinence, osteoporosis, and Alzheimer's disease, but the data is also highly useful for a wide variety of other medical conditions associated with the aging process, including Testosterone Deficiency and Frailty, the two issues at play in Dr. Hsu's study.
Patients that chose to participate in the CHAMP study were originally recruited in 2005 and 2006. They received a health evaluation as they joined the study, and return for periodic examinations over time. The ultimate goal of the study is to collect uniform health data after five and ten years, although many patients have chosen to participate more often. 1705 men are participating in the CHAMP study, and over 1300 were considered eligible candidates for this study.
Patients Self-Reported Their Ability To Perform Normal Daily Tasks
Upon entering the study, patients both provided a self-assessment via medical questionnaire, and also met at Concord Hospital for a three hour clinical evaluation. The self-report included questions regarding a wide variety of activities that are associated with one's ability to live and take care of oneself, including their ability to engage in personal hygiene, dress themselves, eat, and walk. A part of their clinical evaluation included providing a blood sample which was thoroughly evaluated to provide ample diagnostic data with regard to their health.
All Patients Received Hormone Evaluation
Among this diagnostic data was hormone testing. All patients in the study were evaluated for their levels of both male-associated (dihydrotestosterone and Testosterone) and female associated hormones (estrone and estradiol). Related to Testosterone, patients also engaged in examination which gathered data on their strength, including the power of their quadriceps and the strength of their grip.
Hormone Deficiency Inhibits Quality of Life
When the data was analyzed, it was discovered that men that don't produce enough Testosterone, Estrone, or Estradiol are more likely to experience issues with their day-to-day function than men with healthy Testosterone Levels after two years. The primary issue which induced this frailty appeared to be a reduction in the strength of the muscles, although other factors are likely at play.
Based on the data collected and analyzed, Dr. Hsu and his colleagues came to the conclusion that Testosterone Deficiency leads to reduced quality of life and personal freedom mainly because of the deleterious effects of Low-T upon muscle health.
Harvard Elderly Low-T Study
Other studies have come to similar conclusions. A Harvard study, led by Thomas Storer, examined the relationship between Low-T Treatment and cardiovascular ability. In particular, they examined how Testosterone Treatment affected the ability of the cardiovascular system to absorb oxygen, as well as the rate at which it could expel lactate.
The data that was used in this study was collected from a previously conducted study of males over sixty five that were selected because they had issues with frailty which reduced their ability to engage in a normal and healthy every day life, and also because they were clinically evaluated to suffer from Low-T.
This study involved 64 patients, 36 of which received topical placebo, and 28 patients that received 10 mg of Testosterone Topical Gel. Participants stayed on this health regimen for six months, then came back for evaluation. Six months is generally considered to be how long for Testosterone Therapy for Low-T to produce significant benefits with regard to health and wellness, especially with regard to physiological muscle health.
Testosterone Increases Aerobic Capacity
To assess aerobic capacity, the participants engaged in a cycling exercise both before treatment and after treatment in order to evaluate changes in cardiovascular capacity. The results were significant. Patients that received placebo actually experienced a loss of exercise capacity, while those that received Testosterone had a modest increase in their capacity for exercise. It is considered a normal aspect of aging for anaerobic capacity to slowly decline as one ages, so the results were quite profound, showing that Testosterone Decline plays a role in increasing frailty associated with aging, and that Testosterone Therapy is a valid way to alleviate this aspect of hormone imbalance and improve quality of life.
Subjects on placebo experienced a decline in oxygen absorption which was double the rate at which the researchers hypothesized. On the other hand, participants that engaged in six months of Testosterone Therapy experienced a decline which was almost 3.5 times slower than was hypothesized.
Similar results were found with regard to lactate expulsion rate. The experimental group were more readily able to expel this exhaust, which is also an element of peak aerobic capacity. Researchers were able to conclude, based off of this evidence, that Testosterone Therapy Gels had the capacity to slow down the physiological decline which leads to frailty and decreased quality of life.
Geriatric Testosterone Research Booming
The body of evidence with regard to Testosterone and Aging continues to grow. Testosterone is a potent anabolic hormone, and it promotes optimal muscle health for both men and women. These two studies provide evidence regarding why it is important for men to undergo Hormone Evaluation in order to ensure that their Hormones are in balance and not affecting their quality of life.
Testosterone Misconceived as a Sexual Disorder in America
In America, Testosterone Deficiency is primarily considered by the public as a sexual disorder, so many men don't get tested as they should because they don't realize the serious effects of Low-T move far beyond Sexual function and desire, and how Low-T impacts health in a variety of ways. Luckily, men do not tend to experience issues with bone health as commonly as women, but this also shows why Testosterone is important.
Men are less at risk of osteoporosis, because their elevated Testosterone Levels, as compared to women, lead them to have stronger bones. Loss of bone mineral density is a symptom of aging related to hormone decline, but it tends to become symptomatic far later in the life span, if at all, compared to female patients.
Contact Us Now
- Declining Testosterone Levels in Men Not Part of Normal Aging - August 12th, 2019
- Low testosterone levels may affect man's sex drive and affect his intimate relationships - August 11th, 2019
- TEFINA: Nasal Spray That Can Increase Female Orgasms - Video - August 10th, 2019
- Quick Weight Loss Tips and Diet Recommendations for HRT - August 10th, 2019
- Testosterone and Alcohol: Your Health and the Holiday Season - August 9th, 2019
- Testosterone builds muscle but has risks - August 4th, 2019
- Testosterone not always to blame - Sat, 04 Aug 2012 PST - August 4th, 2019
- Testosterone, the Power Hormone - August 1st, 2019
- Behavior and Lifestyle Linked to the Effect of Declining Testosterone, Not Necessarily Natural Aging - July 31st, 2019
- BUSTED: Myths About Testosterone And Its Link To Sexual Desire In Men And Women - July 28th, 2019
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women 0 - July 20th, 2019
- Green tea could mask testosterone doping - July 14th, 2019
- Some experts say testosterone decline is a normal part of aging in men - July 14th, 2019
- The Secret to Guys’ Sex Appeal: Low Stress, High Testosterone, Strong Immunity - July 7th, 2019
- Low on testosterone? No problem - July 7th, 2019
- Testosterone levels seen prior to birth in fetus' fingers, jawline - July 6th, 2019
- Is testosterone the new drug of choice on Wall Street? How traders are using male hormone booster shots to maintain a ... - July 4th, 2019
- The Effects of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels - April 22nd, 2019
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - April 21st, 2019
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - April 19th, 2019
- Testosterone Does Not Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries) in Older Men - April 19th, 2019
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Prostate Cancer to Spread - April 19th, 2019
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - April 19th, 2019
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone - April 19th, 2019
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - April 16th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - April 2nd, 2019
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - April 2nd, 2019
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - April 2nd, 2019
- The Testosterone Industry Globally is Booming - April 1st, 2019
- Five Benefits of Testosterone That You Need to Know - March 31st, 2019
- Oral Testosterone Pill Could Make Lipocine's Share Price SKYROCKET - March 18th, 2019
- Testosterone Nasal Gel: A New Form of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - March 17th, 2019
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - March 17th, 2019
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - March 17th, 2019
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - March 17th, 2019
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - March 16th, 2019
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - March 16th, 2019
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - March 16th, 2019
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost Your Testosterone Levels - March 15th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Boosts Aerobic Capacity - March 15th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Reduces the Risk of Serious Adverse Health Consequences! - March 15th, 2019
- Baby Boomers find “The Fountain of Youth” in Testosterone - September 8th, 2018
- New Study Finds That Testosterone Does Not Increase Cardiovascular Risk - September 7th, 2018
- Eleven Foods that Can Drain Your Libido - September 6th, 2018
- Some Animal Research Suggests that High Testosterone May Increase Prostate Cancer Risk - September 6th, 2018
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - August 27th, 2018
- Physiology of Testosterone - August 26th, 2018
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - August 26th, 2018
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - August 26th, 2018
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - August 26th, 2018
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - August 21st, 2018
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - August 19th, 2018
- Seven Types of Drugs That Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - August 18th, 2018
- Low-T and Your Health - August 17th, 2018
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - August 9th, 2018
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - August 5th, 2018
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - August 5th, 2018
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - August 3rd, 2018
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - August 2nd, 2018
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 1st, 2018
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - July 9th, 2018
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - August 9th, 2016
- The Truth About Testosterone | The Dr. Oz Show - June 9th, 2016
- How Men Work | HowStuffWorks - May 28th, 2016
- 6 Ways to Increase Testosterone Levels Naturally - wikiHow - May 4th, 2016
- Testosterone: Common Questions | Testosterone Test: Total ... - May 4th, 2016
- Adrenalast Testosterone Booster | Boost Muscle Sexual ... - April 6th, 2016
- How to Lower Testosterone in Women | eHow - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Booster Reviews - Consumers Guides - February 8th, 2016
- A Harvard expert shares his thoughts on testosterone ... - February 8th, 2016
- Does Andro 400 Work; does it increase testosterone? - February 8th, 2016
- All About Testosterone! - Bodybuilding.com - February 8th, 2016
- 5 Natural Testosterone Boosters - Healthline - November 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone - Low-T and Androgen Replacement Therapy - November 2nd, 2015
- Effect of vitamin D supplementation on testosterone levels ... - October 17th, 2015
- Testosterone nasal gel works best at three doses a day, study finds - October 4th, 2015
- Testosterone: The Test | Testosterone Test: Total ... - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone: A Major Breakthrough for Menopausal Women - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - October 1st, 2015
- Low Testosterone Treatment, Low T - AXIRON (testosterone ... - September 16th, 2015
Word Count: 1256