Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression
Anxiety is a major health issue which impacts male health at a psychological as well as a physiological level. Generalized Anxiety Disorder is a medical condition which is characterized by apprehension, subconscious hyperactivity, physical tension, and hyper awareness.
Symptoms of subconscious hyperactivity include elevated pulse, flushing, dizziness, dry mouth, clammy palms, heart palpitations, and sweating. Physical tension includes sighing, muscle aches, and restlessness. Hyper awareness includes morning exhaustion, issues with sleep, insomnia, focus issues, irritability, distractability, edginess, and hypervigilence. Apprehension includes the whole bound of things which prevent us from being ourselves, including an intense worry about what other people think, unfounded fear in one’s daily life, and excessive worrying about the welfare of oneself or others.
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety expresses itself in many different ways, but it can be described most succinctly as an overwhelming sense of worry or anxiety that gets in the way of living one’s life as he or she wishes it to be. Anxiety can be absolutely debilitating, and there is powerful evidence that Testosterone Deficiency contributes to worry and anxiety.
What Are the Symptoms of Anxiety?
Low-T has been associated with a number of different issues that are related to Anxiety and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Both research and field study have shown that men with Low Testosterone are more likely to experience the following symptoms:
Inhibited Sense of Well-Being
How Are Anxiety and Low-T Related?
Researchers and clinicians have long been aware of these symptoms, and they have been established in the medical record since at least 1946. In a 1946 study, researchers discovered the following:
Around 1/3 of Men with Low-T experience issues with worrying
4 out of 10 experienced fear
½ of men with Hypogonadism were easily excitable
56% struggled with uneasiness and dread
4 out of 5 were irritable
9 out of 10 experienced high levels of nervousness
These numbers are much higher than normal, and researchers found that by treating these patients with Bio-Identical Testosterone, it was possible to alleviate their anxiety and improve their quality of life. In many cases, the symptoms completely disappeared!
Women Need Testosterone Too
Did you know that women also have a distinct need for Testosterone? Women produce significantly less of the hormone than men, but it still plays an important role in their health and wellness. There is even strong evidence that Feminine Low-T contributes to heightened anxiety in female patients.
There is evidence that, for women with Low-T that suffer from anxiety, two months of Testosterone Treatment was enough to mitigate the effects of anxiety for many patients, bringing them closer to a baseline psychological profile. Estradiol was effective at reducing anxiety on its own, but, when combined with Testosterone, the results improved dramatically.
How Does Testosterone Affect Anxiety?
There are a lot of anxiety studies that simply can’t be performed on humans, but animal research helps fill the gap in our knowledge. According to research conducted on lab rats, Testosterone interacts with the hippocampus in a positive way. Lab rats without Testosterone had trouble learning and experienced high levels of anxiety, but similar lab rats treated with 3-Alpha-diol, DHT, or Testosterone experienced enhanced learning and mitigated anxiety.
Another similar study produced similar results, and there is broadening evidence that strongly supports the notion that Testosterone and other Androgens interact with the Hippocampus in a manner which reduces anxiety.
On the other hand, there is evidence that Testosterone primarily impacts subconscious fear, which is, of course, related to expressed fear and anxiety, but not directly. Low-T Patients that were treated with Testosterone were shown to be less liable to experience unconscious fear in a surprise situation than their control counterparts.
Testosterone Deficiency and Depression
Low-T is also associated with increased incidence of depression and moodiness. Depression is defined clinically by the expression of symptoms. Symptoms of Depression include:
Reduced Libido and Desire
Issues with Indecisiveness, Focus, and Controlled Thought
Feelings of Guilt and Worthlessness
Irritability or Reduced Response to Stimulus
Excessive Sleep, Insomnia, Suppressed Hunger, or Weight Loss
Thoughts of Suicide or Death
Low-T Increases the Likelihood of Experiencing Depression
Of course, depression can occur on its own, but Testosterone Deficiency is a contributing factor for many patients. Also, the younger a man is when he experiences Low-T, the more likely he is to experience symptoms of depression. Low-T Patients treated with Testosterone Patches, Pills, or Injections were alleviated of depression, but the administration of Testosterone had no effect on patients with normal Testosterone Levels.
Depression is Complicated
Depression is a complex disorder which is the end result of a multitude of factors which weigh down the individual, including, but not limited to stress, diet, alcohol use, smoking, obesity, and mental illness, all of which make the Low-T individual more likely to experience depression.
It is not completely clear which Low-T patients benefit most with regard to psychological health when it comes to Low-T Treatment, but there is clinical evidence that Testosterone Injections have a significant and perceptible effect on mood, when taken for six weeks.
Impact of DHEA on Mood
In addition to Testosterone, DHEA also has a positive impact on mood. In addition to being the precursor hormone which is eventually converted into Testosterone and Estrogen (depending on sex), the hormone also has a controlling influence on levels of GABA in the brain, and has the ability to control and uplift mood as a direct result. There is also evidence that the presence of DHEA in the brain suppresses the activity of Pregnenolone, a hormone associated with depression and anxiety.
DHEA supplementation was found to have a positive effect on both Psychological and Physical well-being in both sexes. 84% of women experienced improvement, whereas 67% of men experienced improvement. Enhanced well-being in this context is defined as improved capacity to handle stress, increased relaxation, uplifted mood, sounder sleep, and increased energy.
If You Are Experiencing Depression and Anxiety as You Grow Older, You May Benefit from Testosterone Therapy!
As you can see, Testosterone and DHEA are not only hormones which promote sexual health, they also play an important role in sustaining psychological health in both sexes. If you are growing older and experiencing increased issues related to anxiety, as well as other symptoms which are inhibiting your quality of life, you may be suffering from Andropause, and Testosterone Therapy may be able to improve your quality of life as well as your health!
Contact Us Now
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - May 17th, 2018
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - May 16th, 2018
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - May 16th, 2018
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - May 9th, 2018
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - May 5th, 2018
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - May 3rd, 2018
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - May 2nd, 2018
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - May 1st, 2018
- Testosterone Nasal Gel: A New Form of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 1st, 2018
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost your Testosterone Levels - December 15th, 2017
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy boosts aerobic capacity - December 9th, 2017
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) reduces the risk of serious adverse health consequences! - December 8th, 2017
- Oral Testosterone Pill Could Make Lipocine's share price SKYROCKET - December 2nd, 2017
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - December 1st, 2017
- Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the arteries) in Older Men - November 25th, 2017
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT cause prostate cancer to spread - November 18th, 2017
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - November 17th, 2017
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone. - November 11th, 2017
- The testosterone industry globally is booming - November 10th, 2017
- Five Benefits of Testosterone that you need to know - November 4th, 2017
- The Effects of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels - October 14th, 2017
- Baby Boomers find “The Fountain of Youth” in Testosterone - October 9th, 2017
- The Truth About Testosterone | The Dr. Oz Show - June 9th, 2016
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - June 9th, 2016
- How Men Work | HowStuffWorks - May 28th, 2016
- 6 Ways to Increase Testosterone Levels Naturally - wikiHow - May 4th, 2016
- Testosterone: Common Questions | Testosterone Test: Total ... - May 4th, 2016
- Adrenalast Testosterone Booster | Boost Muscle Sexual ... - April 6th, 2016
- How to Lower Testosterone in Women | eHow - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Booster Reviews - Consumers Guides - February 8th, 2016
- A Harvard expert shares his thoughts on testosterone ... - February 8th, 2016
- Buy Steroids Online | Anabolic Steroids for Sale ... - February 8th, 2016
- Myokem Magnitropin, Testosterone Boosting King, Safe and ... - February 8th, 2016
- Does Andro 400 Work; does it increase testosterone? - February 8th, 2016
- All About Testosterone! - Bodybuilding.com - February 8th, 2016
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - January 28th, 2016
- 5 Natural Testosterone Boosters - Healthline - November 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone - Low-T and Androgen Replacement Therapy - November 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - October 26th, 2015
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - October 24th, 2015
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - October 24th, 2015
- Effect of vitamin D supplementation on testosterone levels ... - October 17th, 2015
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - October 12th, 2015
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - October 10th, 2015
- Testosterone nasal gel works best at three doses a day, study finds - October 4th, 2015
- Testosterone: The Test | Testosterone Test: Total ... - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone: A Major Breakthrough for Menopausal Women - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - October 1st, 2015
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - September 30th, 2015
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - September 28th, 2015
- Low-T and Your Health - September 25th, 2015
- Testosterone and Geriatric Frailty - September 19th, 2015
- Seven Types of Drugs that Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - September 19th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Treatment, Low T - AXIRON (testosterone ... - September 16th, 2015
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - September 16th, 2015
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - September 15th, 2015
- Testosterone - Steroids Profile - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Articles! - Bodybuilding.com - September 1st, 2015
- High and Low Testosterone Levels in Men MedicineNet - September 1st, 2015
- Nugenix Testosterone Booster NUGENIX GNC - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Transdermal Patch: MedlinePlus Drug Information - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Booster - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage ... - September 1st, 2015
- You & Your Hormones | Hormones | Testosterone - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - August 12th, 2015
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - August 11th, 2015
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - August 8th, 2015
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - August 8th, 2015
- Health portal - August 3rd, 2015
- Physiology of Testosterone - August 1st, 2015
- Normal Testosterone Levels - Urology - MedHelp - July 26th, 2015
- Tribulus Terrestris Review Does It Raise Testosterone or ... - July 18th, 2015
- Lack of Energy May Mean Lack of Testosterone - DrAxe.com - July 18th, 2015
- How to Increase Testosterone Naturally: PaleoEdge - July 15th, 2015
- How to Deal with Testosterone Decline - Mercola.com - July 8th, 2015
- Testosterone Cypionate Watson :: Buy Testosterone ... - July 4th, 2015
- What Traders’ Testosterone Tells Us About Markets - June 11th, 2015
- Clomiphene Citrate (Clomid) in Men - A Testosterone ... - May 26th, 2015
- Bio-Identical HRT and Testosterone Therapy in Women ... - May 24th, 2015
- Depo-Testosterone Inj - Uses, Side Effects, Interactions ... - May 24th, 2015
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - May 8th, 2015