Recently, the only methods to deliver testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) were to receive an injection, swallow pills or apply a topical gel.
However, a new approach has emerged that is more convenient for some.
TRT is now available using a nasal gel that raises men’s low testosterone levels to normal, with few side effects.
This exciting development is based on the results of a phase 3 clinical trial to be presented at the Endocrine Society’s 97th annual meeting in San Diego.
Last May, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the drug called Natesto, which is the only FDA-approved nasal testosterone replacement therapy, according to the manufacturer, Trimel Pharmaceuticals.
Under the terms of the agreement, Trimel will receive an upfront payment of $25 million and could receive additional payments upon the achievement of certain regulatory and sales milestones.
Under the terms of the agreement, Trimel will be solely responsible for the manufacture and supply of Natesto, and Endo receives exclusive commercial rights to the Natesto product in the US and Mexico.
Also, Endo will collaborate on all regulatory and clinical development activities in coordination with Trimel. And, Endo will pay a tiered supply price for the product. Endo expected the transaction to close in 2015.
“We are pleased to acquire the rights to Natesto to enhance our branded pharmaceutical portfolio further and look forward to leveraging our commercial expertise in the areas of men’s health and urology to support this highly differentiated product,” said Rajiv De Silva, President, and CEO of Endo.
“Natesto offers a unique intranasal delivery system which will expand options for appropriate patients seeking testosterone replacement therapy, and we are focused on getting Natesto to market as expeditiously as possible.”
“The unique delivery system makes this a convenient and easy-to-use, self-administered form of testosterone to treat adult males with hypogonadism [low testosterone],” said the study’s lead investigator and a consultant to Trimel, Alan Rogol, MD, Ph.D., who is a professor emeritus at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville.
“Also important is that intranasal testosterone minimizes the risk of unwanted secondary exposure of testosterone to women or children,” Rogol said.
Testosterone products applied to the skin have a potentially huge problem: this method of delivery risks transferring some of the drugs to others with whom the user comes into close contact with.
In contrast, the new formulation sends testosterone directly into the nostril.
The product arrives in a multiple-dose pump dispenser that administers a specified amount of testosterone gel (5.5 milligrams, or mg) inside each nostril.
The phase 3 clinical trial measured the effectiveness and safety of the nasal testosterone gel in 306 men with low testosterone at 39 outpatient centers in the U.S.
Men used the treatment for 90 days in both nostrils either twice a day (228 men) or three times a day (78 men) as randomly assigned, to determine the most efficient dose.
They then stayed on the drug for another 90 or 180 days to evaluate tolerance to the medication and effects of treatment.
After 90 days of treatment, the average testosterone concentration in the blood was in the usual range for 90 percent of men who used the nasal gel three times daily, compared with 71 percent of men using it twice a day.
(This measure was in the intent-to-treat population: all subjects who received the randomized study drug and had at least one valid post-baseline efficacy measurement.)
As a result of the study, the manufacturer’s recommended dosing is now three times a day in each nostril, for a total daily dose of 33 mg.
Additionally, treatment also strongly improved men’s erectile function and mood, Rogol reported.
So far, no serious side effects related to the medicine occurred in either dosing group, according to the investigators.
Rogol said there were few problems with tolerating the nasal gel, with a mere 3.7 percent of men receiving the three-times-daily dose ceasing use of the medication due to side effects.
Of 99 men who completed a survey on their experience with the drug, 84 percent felt confident they were correctly using the pump applicator within two days of beginning treatment.
“These results indicate that testosterone nasal gel is an effective and practical alternative to other available testosterone replacement therapy products,” Rogol said.
Facts you need to know about Natesto Nasal Gel
Indications and Usage
Natesto is an androgen indicated for replacement therapy in males for conditions associated with a deficiency or absence of endogenous testosterone including:
- Primary hypogonadism (congenital or acquired)
- Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (congenital or acquired)
Limitations of Use
Safety and efficacy of Natesto™ in males less than 18 years old have not been established
Natesto for intranasal use is available as a metered-dose pump.
One pump actuation delivers 5.5 mg of testosterone.
The recommended dose of Natesto™ is 11 mg of testosterone (two pump actuators, one per nostril), applied intranasally three times daily for a total daily dose of 33 mg.
- Men with carcinoma of the breast or known or suspected prostate cancer must exercise extreme caution, and work in close collaboration with their physician to monitor any adverse developments. Specifically, this includes monitoring serum testosterone, prostate-specific antigen (PSA), hemoglobin, hematocrit, liver function tests, and lipid concentrations periodically
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should not use Natesto, since testosterone may cause fetal harm
Warnings and Precautions
- Nasal adverse reactions: nasal signs and symptoms should be monitored. Natesto is not recommended for use in patients with chronic nasal conditions or alterations in nasal anatomy
- Monitor patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) for worsening of signs and symptoms of BPH
- Venous thromboembolism (VTE), including deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE), have been reported in patients using testosterone products. Evaluate patients with signs or symptoms consistent with DVT or PE
- Women and children should not use Natesto
- Exogenous administration of androgens may lead to azoospermia, which is defined “the medical condition of a man not having any measurable level of sperm in his semen.”
- Edema with or without congestive heart failure (CHF) may be a complication in patients with preexisting cardiac, renal (kidney), or hepatic (liver) disease
- Sleep apnea may occur in those with risk factors
- The most common adverse reactions (incidence >/=3%) to Natesto observed in clinical trials were an increase in prostate-specific antigen (PSA), headache, rhinorrhea, epistaxis, nasal discomfort, nasopharyngitis, bronchitis, upper respiratory tract infection, sinusitis and nasal scab.
Contact Us Now
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - May 17th, 2018
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - May 16th, 2018
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - May 16th, 2018
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - May 9th, 2018
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - May 5th, 2018
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - May 3rd, 2018
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - May 2nd, 2018
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - May 1st, 2018
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost your Testosterone Levels - December 15th, 2017
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy boosts aerobic capacity - December 9th, 2017
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) reduces the risk of serious adverse health consequences! - December 8th, 2017
- Oral Testosterone Pill Could Make Lipocine's share price SKYROCKET - December 2nd, 2017
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - December 1st, 2017
- Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the arteries) in Older Men - November 25th, 2017
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT cause prostate cancer to spread - November 18th, 2017
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - November 17th, 2017
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone. - November 11th, 2017
- The testosterone industry globally is booming - November 10th, 2017
- Five Benefits of Testosterone that you need to know - November 4th, 2017
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - October 26th, 2017
- The Effects of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels - October 14th, 2017
- Baby Boomers find “The Fountain of Youth” in Testosterone - October 9th, 2017
- The Truth About Testosterone | The Dr. Oz Show - June 9th, 2016
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - June 9th, 2016
- How Men Work | HowStuffWorks - May 28th, 2016
- 6 Ways to Increase Testosterone Levels Naturally - wikiHow - May 4th, 2016
- Testosterone: Common Questions | Testosterone Test: Total ... - May 4th, 2016
- Adrenalast Testosterone Booster | Boost Muscle Sexual ... - April 6th, 2016
- How to Lower Testosterone in Women | eHow - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Booster Reviews - Consumers Guides - February 8th, 2016
- A Harvard expert shares his thoughts on testosterone ... - February 8th, 2016
- Buy Steroids Online | Anabolic Steroids for Sale ... - February 8th, 2016
- Myokem Magnitropin, Testosterone Boosting King, Safe and ... - February 8th, 2016
- Does Andro 400 Work; does it increase testosterone? - February 8th, 2016
- All About Testosterone! - Bodybuilding.com - February 8th, 2016
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - January 28th, 2016
- 5 Natural Testosterone Boosters - Healthline - November 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone - Low-T and Androgen Replacement Therapy - November 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - October 26th, 2015
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - October 24th, 2015
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - October 24th, 2015
- Effect of vitamin D supplementation on testosterone levels ... - October 17th, 2015
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - October 12th, 2015
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - October 10th, 2015
- Testosterone nasal gel works best at three doses a day, study finds - October 4th, 2015
- Testosterone: The Test | Testosterone Test: Total ... - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone: A Major Breakthrough for Menopausal Women - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - October 1st, 2015
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - September 30th, 2015
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - September 28th, 2015
- Low-T and Your Health - September 25th, 2015
- Testosterone and Geriatric Frailty - September 19th, 2015
- Seven Types of Drugs that Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - September 19th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Treatment, Low T - AXIRON (testosterone ... - September 16th, 2015
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - September 16th, 2015
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - September 15th, 2015
- Testosterone - Steroids Profile - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Articles! - Bodybuilding.com - September 1st, 2015
- High and Low Testosterone Levels in Men MedicineNet - September 1st, 2015
- Nugenix Testosterone Booster NUGENIX GNC - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Transdermal Patch: MedlinePlus Drug Information - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Booster - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage ... - September 1st, 2015
- You & Your Hormones | Hormones | Testosterone - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - August 12th, 2015
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - August 11th, 2015
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - August 8th, 2015
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - August 8th, 2015
- Health portal - August 3rd, 2015
- Physiology of Testosterone - August 1st, 2015
- Normal Testosterone Levels - Urology - MedHelp - July 26th, 2015
- Tribulus Terrestris Review Does It Raise Testosterone or ... - July 18th, 2015
- Lack of Energy May Mean Lack of Testosterone - DrAxe.com - July 18th, 2015
- How to Increase Testosterone Naturally: PaleoEdge - July 15th, 2015
- How to Deal with Testosterone Decline - Mercola.com - July 8th, 2015
- Testosterone Cypionate Watson :: Buy Testosterone ... - July 4th, 2015
- What Traders’ Testosterone Tells Us About Markets - June 11th, 2015
- Clomiphene Citrate (Clomid) in Men - A Testosterone ... - May 26th, 2015
- Bio-Identical HRT and Testosterone Therapy in Women ... - May 24th, 2015
- Depo-Testosterone Inj - Uses, Side Effects, Interactions ... - May 24th, 2015
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - May 8th, 2015