Recently, the only methods to deliver testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) were to receive an injection, swallow pills, or apply a topical gel.
However, a new approach has emerged that is more convenient for some.
TRT is now available using a nasal gel that raises men’s low testosterone levels to normal, with few side effects.
Video Link: https://vimeo.com/289157199
Video Download: Testosterone Nasal Gel A New Form Of Testosterone Replacement Therapy
Video Stream: Testosterone Nasal Gel A New Form Of Testosterone Replacement Therapy
This exciting development is based on the results of phase 3 clinical trial to be presented at the Endocrine Society’s 97th annual meeting in San Diego.
Last May, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the drug called Natesto, which is the only FDA-approved nasal testosterone replacement therapy, according to the manufacturer, Trimel Pharmaceuticals.
Under the terms of the agreement, Trimel will receive an upfront payment of $25 million and could receive additional payments upon the achievement of certain regulatory and sales milestones.
Under the terms of the agreement, Trimel will be solely responsible for the manufacture and supply of Natesto, and Endo receives exclusive commercial rights to the Natesto product in the US and Mexico.
Also, Endo will collaborate on all regulatory and clinical development activities in coordination with Trimel. And, Endo will pay a tiered supply price for the product. Endo expected the transaction to close in 2015.
"We are pleased to acquire the rights to Natesto to enhance our branded pharmaceutical portfolio further and look forward to leveraging our commercial expertise in the areas of men's health and urology to support this highly differentiated product," said Rajiv De Silva, President, and CEO of Endo.
"Natesto offers a unique intranasal delivery system which will expand options for appropriate patients seeking testosterone replacement therapy, and we are focused on getting Natesto to market as expeditiously as possible."
“The unique delivery system makes this a convenient and easy-to-use, self-administered form of testosterone to treat adult males with hypogonadism [low testosterone],” said the study’s lead investigator and a consultant to Trimel, Alan Rogol, MD, Ph.D., who is a professor emeritus at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville.
“Also important is that intranasal testosterone minimizes the risk of unwanted secondary exposure of testosterone to women or children,” Rogol said.
Testosterone products applied to the skin have a potentially huge problem: this method of delivery risks transferring some of the drugs to others with whom the user comes into close contact.
In contrast, the new formulation sends testosterone directly into the nostril.
The product arrives in a multiple-dose pump dispenser that administers a specified amount of testosterone gel (5.5 milligrams, or mg) inside each nostril.
The phase 3 clinical trial measured the effectiveness and safety of the nasal testosterone gel in 306 men with low testosterone at 39 outpatient centers in the U.S.
Men used the treatment for 90 days in both nostrils either twice a day (228 men) or three times a day (78 men) as randomly assigned, to determine the most efficient dose.
They then stayed on the drug for another 90 or 180 days to evaluate tolerance to the medication and the effects of treatment.
After 90 days of treatment, the average testosterone concentration in the blood was in the usual range for 90 percent of men who used the nasal gel three times daily, compared with 71 percent of men using it twice a day.
(This measure was in the intent-to-treat population: all subjects who received the randomized study drug and had at least one valid post-baseline efficacy measurement.)
As a result of the study, the manufacturer’s recommended dosing is now three times a day in each nostril, for a total daily dose of 33 mg.
Additionally, the treatment also strongly improved men’s erectile function and mood, Rogol reported.
So far, no severe side effects related to the medicine occurred in either dosing group, according to the investigators.
Rogol said there were few problems with tolerating the nasal gel, with a mere 3.7 percent of men receiving the three-times-daily dose ceasing use of the medication due to side effects.
Of 99 men who completed a survey on their experience with the drug, 84 percent felt confident they were correctly using the pump applicator within two days of beginning treatment.
“These results indicate that nasal testosterone gel is an effective and practical alternative to other available testosterone replacement therapy products,” Rogol said.
Facts you need to know about Natesto Nasal Gel
Indications and Usage
Natesto is an androgen indicated for replacement therapy in males for conditions associated with a deficiency or absence of endogenous testosterone including:
- Primary hypogonadism (congenital or acquired)
- Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (congenital or acquired)
Limitations of Use
Safety and efficacy of Natesto™ in males less than 18 years old have not been established
Natesto for intranasal use is available as a metered-dose pump.
One pump actuation delivers 5.5 mg of testosterone.
The recommended dose of Natesto™ is 11 mg of testosterone (two pump actuators, one per nostril), applied intranasally three times daily for a total daily dose of 33 mg.
- Men with carcinoma of the breast or known or suspected prostate cancer must exercise extreme caution, and work in close collaboration with their physician to monitor any adverse developments. Specifically, this includes monitoring serum testosterone, prostate-specific antigen (PSA), hemoglobin, hematocrit, liver function tests, and lipid concentrations periodically
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should not use Natesto, since testosterone may cause fetal harm
Warnings and Precautions
- Nasal adverse reactions: nasal signs and symptoms should be monitored. Natesto is not recommended for use in patients with chronic nasal conditions or alterations in nasal anatomy
- Monitor patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) for worsening of signs and symptoms of BPH
- Venous thromboembolism (VTE), including deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE), have been reported in patients using testosterone products. Evaluate patients with signs or symptoms consistent with DVT or PE
- Women and children should not use Natesto
- Exogenous administration of androgens may lead to azoospermia, which is defined as “the medical condition of a man not having any measurable level of sperm in his semen.”
- Edema with or without congestive heart failure (CHF) may be a complication in patients with preexisting cardiac, renal (kidney), or hepatic (liver) disease
- Sleep apnea may occur in those with risk factors
- The most common adverse reactions (incidence >/=3%) to Natesto observed in clinical trials were an increase in prostate-specific antigen (PSA), headache, rhinorrhea, epistaxis, nasal discomfort, nasopharyngitis, bronchitis, upper respiratory tract infection, sinusitis, and nasal scab.
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- MOTS-c Therapy To Improve Body Composition - December 15th, 2022 [December 11th, 2022]
- Punicalagin: A powerful Testosterone Booster - January 17th, 2023 [November 24th, 2022]
- Blocking Testosterone to Defeat Melanoma - September 9th, 2022 [August 11th, 2022]
- Stomach Inflammation: Another Ailment That Testosterone Can Stop in its Tracks - December 19th, 2022 [August 3rd, 2022]
- Study Finds that Testosterone Boosts Memory for Uncontrolled Diabetics - July 11th, 2022 [June 24th, 2022]
- Causes of Low Libido - Could It Be Low-T? - June 24th, 2022 [May 30th, 2022]
- The Evolutionary Effects of Testosterone on Human Society - November 24th, 2021 [September 20th, 2021]
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost Your Testosterone Levels - October 30th, 2021 [September 7th, 2021]
- Men Want to Know – Free Testosterone versus Total Testosterone - January 2nd, 2023 [August 24th, 2021]
- What is testosterone? - November 10th, 2021 [May 23rd, 2021]
- Tribulus Terrestris Review Does It Raise Testosterone or ... - May 23rd, 2021 [May 22nd, 2021]
- Boosting testosterone levels (First of two parts) - May 9th, 2021 [May 8th, 2021]
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - November 27th, 2021 [May 1st, 2021]
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - November 21st, 2021 [April 28th, 2021]
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - November 20th, 2021 [April 25th, 2021]
- Deer Antler, HGH and Testosterone: Tim on Scott and BR Radio Show - Video - November 27th, 2021 [April 17th, 2021]
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - April 14th, 2021 [April 14th, 2021]
- How Testosterone Affects the Skin of Men - November 28th, 2021 [April 11th, 2021]
- Testosterone, the Power Hormone - November 23rd, 2021 [April 8th, 2021]
- Testosterone Levels and Wall Street - October 28th, 2021 [March 27th, 2021]
- Women can resist testosterone-fuelled political debate - March 13th, 2021 [March 12th, 2021]
- BUSTED: Myths About Testosterone And Its Link To Sexual Desire In Men And Women - November 4th, 2021 [March 11th, 2021]
- Attention Baby Boomers -- Could Testosterone be the Modern Day "Fountain of Youth?" - October 31st, 2022 [March 4th, 2021]
- Declining Testosterone Levels in Men Not Part of Normal Aging - October 18th, 2021 [February 28th, 2021]
- Quick Weight Loss Tips and Diet Recommendations for HRT - October 21st, 2021 [February 28th, 2021]
- Testosterone and Alcohol: Your Health and the Holiday Season - October 18th, 2021 [February 27th, 2021]
- Testosterone builds muscle but has risks - February 25th, 2021 [February 25th, 2021]
- New Study Finds That Testosterone Does Not Increase Cardiovascular Risk - November 21st, 2021 [February 22nd, 2021]
- Evidence Suggests Testosterone Plays Powerful Role in Motivating Revolutionary Change - October 20th, 2021 [February 15th, 2021]
- The Effects of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels - November 27th, 2021 [January 9th, 2021]
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - November 21st, 2021 [January 6th, 2021]
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - November 5th, 2021 [December 25th, 2020]
- Testosterone Does Not Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries) in Older Men - November 3rd, 2021 [December 24th, 2020]
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Prostate Cancer to Spread - October 19th, 2021 [December 23rd, 2020]
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - November 16th, 2021 [December 20th, 2020]
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone - November 2nd, 2021 [December 18th, 2020]
- The Testosterone Industry Globally is Booming - November 12th, 2021 [December 12th, 2020]
- Five Benefits of Testosterone That You Need to Know - October 22nd, 2021 [December 11th, 2020]
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - October 31st, 2022 [December 3rd, 2020]
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - November 21st, 2021 [December 3rd, 2020]
- Low-T and Your Health - October 17th, 2021 [November 30th, 2020]
- Low Testosterone Levels may Affect Man's Sex Drive and Affect his Intimate Relationships - October 17th, 2021 [November 19th, 2020]
- Is Testosterone the New Drug of Choice on Wall Street? How Traders are Using Male Hormone Booster Shots to Maintain a ... - November 3rd, 2021 [November 12th, 2020]
- Shorter course of ADT for high-risk prostate cancer patients yields improved quality of life - November 11th, 2020 [November 11th, 2020]
- Testosterone Litigation: What You Need To Know - MTMP - Video - October 21st, 2021 [November 9th, 2020]
- Methadone Lowers Testosterone in Men Only - November 9th, 2020 [November 8th, 2020]
- Should middle-aged men consider 'low T' treatment? - November 6th, 2020 [November 5th, 2020]
- Testosterone and Crime: What Can Genes Tell Us About Behavior? - Video - October 25th, 2020 [October 25th, 2020]
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women - November 28th, 2021 [October 22nd, 2020]
- Testosterone levels seen prior to birth in fetus' fingers, jawline - November 18th, 2021 [October 20th, 2020]
- Tri-Blend Testosterone. Understanding the Benefits of Testosterone Oils - November 9th, 2021 [October 19th, 2020]
- Testosterone levels in older men - November 23rd, 2021 [October 17th, 2020]
- Tlando Testosterone Clinical Trial for Low-T and Fatty Liver Disease - October 29th, 2021 [October 4th, 2020]
- Testosterone Focus in Diabetes Study – Video - September 30th, 2020 [September 30th, 2020]
- Testshock Review All Natural Testosterone Enhancement – Video - September 30th, 2020 [September 30th, 2020]
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - November 19th, 2021 [September 30th, 2020]
- Average Testosterone Levels Decreasing Over Time Among Younger American Men - November 4th, 2021 [August 21st, 2020]
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - November 14th, 2021 [August 10th, 2020]
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - November 29th, 2021 [August 6th, 2020]
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - October 31st, 2022 [August 5th, 2020]
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - November 28th, 2021 [August 3rd, 2020]
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - October 26th, 2021 [August 1st, 2020]
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - November 5th, 2021 [July 29th, 2020]
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - October 16th, 2021 [July 26th, 2020]
- Seven Types of Drugs That Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - October 23rd, 2021 [July 22nd, 2020]
- Testosterone and Geriatric Frailty - October 20th, 2021 [July 21st, 2020]
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - November 14th, 2021 [July 12th, 2020]
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - November 10th, 2021 [July 12th, 2020]
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - November 4th, 2021 [July 6th, 2020]
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - November 11th, 2021 [July 5th, 2020]
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - November 5th, 2021 [July 4th, 2020]
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Reduces the Risk of Serious Adverse Health Consequences! - November 9th, 2021 [June 30th, 2020]
- Testosterone not always to blame - Sat, 04 Aug 2012 PST - November 14th, 2021 [June 28th, 2020]
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - November 20th, 2021 [June 27th, 2020]
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - November 28th, 2021 [June 23rd, 2020]
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - November 18th, 2021 [June 22nd, 2020]
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Boosts Aerobic Capacity - November 19th, 2021 [June 15th, 2020]
- Physiology of Testosterone - November 12th, 2021 [June 9th, 2020]
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - November 19th, 2021 [May 26th, 2020]
- Dr. Andre Berger on Testosterone Deficiency in Men - Andropause Symptoms and Treatment By Doctor's Desk Series - January 15th, 2021 [May 21st, 2020]
Word Count: 1054