Video Download: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Boosts Aerobic Capacity
Video Stream: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Boosts Aerobic Capacity
The joint meeting of the International Society of Endocrinology and the Endocrine Society was the site of a presentation on June 22 concerning findings discovered from a clinical trial of sedentary men with low testosterone levels and mobility problems which revealed increased aerobic capacity among those treated with testosterone.
The current study evaluated data from 64 men, mean age 73, with low testosterone enrolled in the Testosterone in Older Men with Mobility Limitation Trial.
Participants in the trial were treated with 10 milligrams of testosterone in gel form or a placebo gel daily for six months.
Cycle exercise tests conducted at the beginning and end of the treatment period provided measures of aerobic function, including peak oxygen uptake and gas exchange lactate threshold.
The gas exchange lactate threshold is an excellent functional measure of the ability to do work over a prolonged period.
The rate remained steady during the 6-month study in the testosterone-treated men but declined significantly (and to a greater-than-expected extent based on average measures) in the placebo-treated controls
When the trial ended, men who received a placebo saw a drop in peak oxygen uptake, while those treated with testosterone saw an increase in their peak oxygen uptake.
Not only was the age-related decrease in peak oxygen uptake during exercise, or peak VO2 was 3.4-fold less in the testosterone-treated men than would be expected, the rate of decline in peak VO2 in placebo-treated controls was near twice the expected rate for the age-matched general population.
Researchers concluded that this accelerated decline was probably due to their limited mobility and low testosterone levels.
"We believe this is the first report of enhanced endurance performance as a result of testosterone therapy in men who have difficulty performing some physical tasks but are otherwise healthy," announced lead author Thomas W. Storer, Ph.D., who is the Director of the Exercise Physiology Laboratory at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.
"At least in the short term, testosterone therapy may lessen the rate of decline of an important marker of physical fitness in older men with low testosterone...this is something we think is going to be clinically meaningful."
"These findings are potentially relevant to older men who have experienced the age-related decline in endurance capacity that may be due in part to low testosterone," he added.
"If proven safe over the long-term, restoring testosterone to normal levels may improve an important measure of physical performance and enhance their quality of life."
"We think the mechanisms involved in this benefit are many," Dr. Storer continued.
“Among them are testosterone’s demonstrated ability to increase muscle mass and thereby generate more force during exercise; increased RBC formation; stimulation of tissue capillarity to allow more blood flow to the exercising muscle; and stimulation of mitochondrial biogenesis, which increases oxygen uptake by muscle tissue.”
However, he added that although these results are quite promising, he doesn’t think this work is ready for prime time application in daily clinical practice.
He plans to further evaluate the safety of this treatment and the durability of the effects in a study with larger patient numbers and more prolonged treatment.
The study received funds from the National Institute on Aging, the Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center, and Boston University.
Dr. Storer reported having no relevant financial conflicts.
Contact Us Now
- Average Testosterone Levels Decreasing Over Time Among Younger American Men - August 21st, 2020
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 10th, 2020
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - August 6th, 2020
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - August 5th, 2020
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - August 3rd, 2020
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - August 1st, 2020
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - July 29th, 2020
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - July 26th, 2020
- Seven Types of Drugs That Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - July 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone and Geriatric Frailty - July 21st, 2020
- Tri-Blend Testosterone. Understanding the Benefits of Testosterone Oils - July 19th, 2020
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - July 12th, 2020
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - July 12th, 2020
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - July 6th, 2020
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - July 5th, 2020
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - July 4th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Reduces the Risk of Serious Adverse Health Consequences! - June 30th, 2020
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost Your Testosterone Levels - June 29th, 2020
- Testosterone not always to blame - Sat, 04 Aug 2012 PST - June 28th, 2020
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - June 27th, 2020
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - June 23rd, 2020
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - June 22nd, 2020
- Physiology of Testosterone - June 9th, 2020
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - May 26th, 2020
- Are Athletes Using Green Tea to Mask Testosterone Doping? - May 7th, 2020
- Some Animal Research Suggests that High Testosterone May Increase Prostate Cancer Risk - May 5th, 2020
- Eleven Foods that Can Drain Your Libido - May 4th, 2020
- Testosterone Can Make Us Generous, But Only When We Do Not Perceive a Threat - May 3rd, 2020
- A New Link Between Testosterone and the Prevention of Dementia in Women - May 3rd, 2020
- Why Women Make Better Money Managers - April 30th, 2020
- Is Being a Lumberjack More Manly Than a Football Player? It's All in the Testosterone! - April 28th, 2020
- Testosterone Drug, Androxal, Helped Gay Cubans Have More Sex - April 10th, 2020
- Androxal Meets its Testosterone Study Goals - April 1st, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - February 11th, 2020
- Low on Testosterone? No Problem! - February 10th, 2020
- Dr. Richard Bebb - Testosterone, Diabetes and the Metabolic Syndrome - Video - January 21st, 2020
- Testosterone levels seen prior to birth in fetus' fingers, jawline - September 16th, 2019
- New Study Finds That Testosterone Does Not Increase Cardiovascular Risk - September 2nd, 2019
- Baby Boomers find “The Fountain of Youth” in Testosterone - September 2nd, 2019
- Declining Testosterone Levels in Men Not Part of Normal Aging - August 12th, 2019
- Low Testosterone Levels may Affect Man's Sex Drive and Affect his Intimate Relationships - August 11th, 2019
- TEFINA: Nasal Spray That Can Increase Female Orgasms - August 10th, 2019
- Quick Weight Loss Tips and Diet Recommendations for HRT - August 10th, 2019
- Testosterone and Alcohol: Your Health and the Holiday Season - August 9th, 2019
- Testosterone builds muscle but has risks - August 4th, 2019
- Testosterone, the Power Hormone - August 1st, 2019
- Behavior and Lifestyle Linked to the Effect of Declining Testosterone, Not Necessarily Natural Aging - July 31st, 2019
- BUSTED: Myths About Testosterone And Its Link To Sexual Desire In Men And Women - July 28th, 2019
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women - July 20th, 2019
- Some experts say testosterone decline is a normal part of aging in men - July 14th, 2019
- The Secret to Guys Sex Appeal: Low Stress, High Testosterone, Strong Immunity - July 7th, 2019
- Is Testosterone the New Drug of Choice on Wall Street? How Traders are Using Male Hormone Booster Shots to Maintain a ... - July 4th, 2019
- The Effects of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels - April 22nd, 2019
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - April 21st, 2019
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - April 19th, 2019
- Testosterone Does Not Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries) in Older Men - April 19th, 2019
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Prostate Cancer to Spread - April 19th, 2019
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - April 19th, 2019
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone - April 19th, 2019
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - April 16th, 2019
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - April 2nd, 2019
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - April 2nd, 2019
- The Testosterone Industry Globally is Booming - April 1st, 2019
- Five Benefits of Testosterone That You Need to Know - March 31st, 2019
- Testosterone Nasal Gel: A New Form of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - March 17th, 2019
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - March 17th, 2019
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - March 16th, 2019
- Low-T and Your Health - August 17th, 2018
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - July 9th, 2018
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - August 9th, 2016
- The Truth About Testosterone | The Dr. Oz Show - June 9th, 2016
- How Men Work | HowStuffWorks - May 28th, 2016
- 6 Ways to Increase Testosterone Levels Naturally - wikiHow - May 4th, 2016
- Testosterone: Common Questions | Testosterone Test: Total ... - May 4th, 2016
- How to Lower Testosterone in Women | eHow - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Booster Reviews - Consumers Guides - February 8th, 2016
- A Harvard expert shares his thoughts on testosterone ... - February 8th, 2016
- Does Andro 400 Work; does it increase testosterone? - February 8th, 2016
- All About Testosterone! - Bodybuilding.com - February 8th, 2016
- 5 Natural Testosterone Boosters - Healthline - November 2nd, 2015
Word Count: 564