The joint meeting of the International Society of Endocrinology and the Endocrine Society was the site of a presentation on June 22 concerning findings discovered from a clinical trial of sedentary men with low testosterone levels and mobility problems which revealed increased aerobic capacity among those treated with testosterone.
The current study evaluated data from 64 men, mean age 73, with low testosterone enrolled in the Testosterone in Older Men with Mobility Limitation Trial.
Participants in the trial were treated with 10 milligrams of testosterone in gel form or a placebo gel daily for six months.
Cycle exercise tests conducted at the beginning and end of the treatment period provided measures of aerobic function, including peak oxygen uptake and gas exchange lactate threshold.
The gas exchange lactate threshold is a good functional measure of the ability to do work over a prolonged period.
The rate remained steady during the 6-month study in the testosterone-treated men but declined significantly (and to a greater-than-expected extent based on average measures) in the placebo-treated controls
When the trial ended, men who received a placebo saw a drop in peak oxygen uptake, while those treated with testosterone saw an increase in their peak oxygen uptake.
Not only was the age-related decrease in peak oxygen uptake during exercise, or peak VO2 was 3.4-fold less in the testosterone-treated men than would be expected.
The rate of decline in peak VO2 in placebo-treated controls was near twice the expected rate for the age-matched general population.
Researchers concluded that this accelerated decline was probably due to their limited mobility and low testosterone levels.
“We believe this is the first report of enhanced endurance performance as a result of testosterone therapy in men who have difficulty performing some physical tasks but are otherwise healthy,” announced lead author Thomas W. Storer, Ph.D., who is the Director of the Exercise Physiology Laboratory at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston.
“At least in the short term, testosterone therapy may lessen the rate of decline of an important marker of physical fitness in older men with low testosterone…this is something we think is going to be clinically meaningful.”
“These findings are potentially relevant to older men who have experienced the age-related decline in endurance capacity that may be due in part to low testosterone,” he added.
“If proven safe over the long-term, restoring testosterone to normal levels may improve an important measure of physical performance and enhance their quality of life.”
“We think the mechanisms involved in this benefit are many,” Dr. Storer continued.
“Among them are testosterone’s demonstrated ability to increase muscle mass and thereby generate more force during exercise; increased RBC formation; stimulation of tissue capillarity to allow more blood flow to the exercising muscle; and stimulation of mitochondrial biogenesis, which increases oxygen uptake by muscle tissue.”
However, he added that although these results are quite promising, he doesn’t think this work is ready for prime time application in daily clinical practice.
He plans to further evaluate the safety of this treatment and the durability of the effects in a study with larger patient numbers and longer treatment.
The study received funds from the National Institute on Aging, the Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center, and Boston University.
Dr. Storer reported having no relevant financial conflicts.
Contact Us Now
- Testosterone Nasal Gel: A new form of testosterone Replacement Therapy - January 12th, 2018
- Testosterone: should you take it to regain your libido and youthful energy? - January 10th, 2018
- Manhood Washed Away: You could unknowingly be annihilating your testosterone - January 6th, 2018
- Testicular cancer survivors are at risk for low testosterone - January 5th, 2018
- New Research proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - December 30th, 2017
- Skinny bartender with Low Testosterone becomes a ripped bodybuilder - December 29th, 2017
- Five Facts About Testosterone (that maybe you didn't know) - December 23rd, 2017
- How To Build Muscle Quickly By Boosting Testosterone Levels - December 22nd, 2017
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - December 16th, 2017
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost your Testosterone Levels - December 15th, 2017
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) reduces the risk of serious adverse health consequences! - December 8th, 2017
- Oral Testosterone Pill Could Make Lipocine's share price SKYROCKET - December 2nd, 2017
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - December 1st, 2017
- Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the arteries) in Older Men - November 25th, 2017
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT cause prostate cancer to spread - November 18th, 2017
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - November 17th, 2017
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone. - November 11th, 2017
- The testosterone industry globally is booming - November 10th, 2017
- Five Benefits of Testosterone that you need to know - November 4th, 2017
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - October 26th, 2017
- The Effects of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels - October 14th, 2017
- Baby Boomers find “The Fountain of Youth” in Testosterone - October 9th, 2017
- The Truth About Testosterone | The Dr. Oz Show - June 9th, 2016
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - June 9th, 2016
- How Men Work | HowStuffWorks - May 28th, 2016
- 6 Ways to Increase Testosterone Levels Naturally - wikiHow - May 4th, 2016
- Testosterone: Common Questions | Testosterone Test: Total ... - May 4th, 2016
- Adrenalast Testosterone Booster | Boost Muscle Sexual ... - April 6th, 2016
- How to Lower Testosterone in Women | eHow - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Booster Reviews - Consumers Guides - February 8th, 2016
- A Harvard expert shares his thoughts on testosterone ... - February 8th, 2016
- Buy Steroids Online | Anabolic Steroids for Sale ... - February 8th, 2016
- Myokem Magnitropin, Testosterone Boosting King, Safe and ... - February 8th, 2016
- Does Andro 400 Work; does it increase testosterone? - February 8th, 2016
- All About Testosterone! - Bodybuilding.com - February 8th, 2016
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - January 28th, 2016
- 5 Natural Testosterone Boosters - Healthline - November 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone - Low-T and Androgen Replacement Therapy - November 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - October 26th, 2015
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - October 24th, 2015
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - October 24th, 2015
- Effect of vitamin D supplementation on testosterone levels ... - October 17th, 2015
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - October 12th, 2015
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - October 10th, 2015
- Testosterone nasal gel works best at three doses a day, study finds - October 4th, 2015
- Testosterone: The Test | Testosterone Test: Total ... - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone: A Major Breakthrough for Menopausal Women - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - October 1st, 2015
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - September 30th, 2015
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - September 28th, 2015
- Low-T and Your Health - September 25th, 2015
- Testosterone and Geriatric Frailty - September 19th, 2015
- Seven Types of Drugs that Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - September 19th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Treatment, Low T - AXIRON (testosterone ... - September 16th, 2015
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - September 16th, 2015
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - September 15th, 2015
- Testosterone - Steroids Profile - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Articles! - Bodybuilding.com - September 1st, 2015
- High and Low Testosterone Levels in Men MedicineNet - September 1st, 2015
- Nugenix Testosterone Booster NUGENIX GNC - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Transdermal Patch: MedlinePlus Drug Information - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone Booster - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage ... - September 1st, 2015
- You & Your Hormones | Hormones | Testosterone - September 1st, 2015
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - August 12th, 2015
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - August 11th, 2015
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - August 8th, 2015
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - August 8th, 2015
- Health portal - August 3rd, 2015
- Physiology of Testosterone - August 1st, 2015
- Normal Testosterone Levels - Urology - MedHelp - July 26th, 2015
- Tribulus Terrestris Review Does It Raise Testosterone or ... - July 18th, 2015
- Lack of Energy May Mean Lack of Testosterone - DrAxe.com - July 18th, 2015
- How to Increase Testosterone Naturally: PaleoEdge - July 15th, 2015
- How to Deal with Testosterone Decline - Mercola.com - July 8th, 2015
- Testosterone Cypionate Watson :: Buy Testosterone ... - July 4th, 2015
- What Traders’ Testosterone Tells Us About Markets - June 11th, 2015
- Clomiphene Citrate (Clomid) in Men - A Testosterone ... - May 26th, 2015
- Bio-Identical HRT and Testosterone Therapy in Women ... - May 24th, 2015
- Depo-Testosterone Inj - Uses, Side Effects, Interactions ... - May 24th, 2015
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - May 8th, 2015