Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) provides heart protection for men with hypogonadism (low testosterone)
You have probably heard the warning that testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) has been linked to an increased risk of heart attacks and strokes.
These warnings come from radio and television commercials from law firms and sound something like this: “If you have suffered a heart attack after receiving testosterone therapy, please contact the law firm of ___ for a free, no-obligation consultation.”
That sounds ominous and urgent.
But is it true? Are these dire warnings about the risk of testosterone based on medical facts? Or are they the product of hyperbole from a profit-seeking team of litigious attorneys?
A recent study concludes that contrary to causing cardiovascular problems, testosterone actually protects from such events. The review below provides the facts.
NEW ORLEANS — Low testosterone is associated with increased all-cause and cardiovascular mortality, and testosterone replacement therapy in men with a confirmed diagnosis of hypogonadism (low testosterone levels) is associated with reduced cardiovascular (CV) events and CV death, according to a speaker at the Androgen Society 2nd Annual Meeting.
“Testosterone deficiency is a risk factor for cardiovascular events and death,” T. Hugh Jones, MBChB, MD, FRCP, honorary professor of andrology in the department of human metabolism the University of Sheffield Medical School, United Kingdom, and consultant endocrinologist at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield, told Endocrine Today.
“If you normalize the circulating testosterone level with replacement therapy and monitor the patient, then that ultimately reduces the risk for cardiovascular death and events, especially in the diabetes population, for which we have produced evidence.
Three other studies have confirmed this. It is important to make a careful, correct diagnosis of hypogonadism and replace the testosterone to a normal level.”
The body of medical evidence from well-conducted, scientific studies now supports the idea that testosterone, when replaced to adequate, healthy range levels, has no adverse effect on the cardiovascular system, and has shown benefit, Jones said during a presentation.
Evidence that testosterone protects against ectopic lipid deposition and may modulate the inflammatory response within atherosclerotic plaque is crucial to researchers’ understanding of how testosterone works.
“I’ve been working in research in testosterone and cardiovascular disease since 1996, and I have treated a large number of men with cardiovascular disease,” Jones said. “We recently did an audit of 505 men, of which one-third had cardiovascular disease.
Over a follow-up of 2,500 patient-years, there was only one cardiovascular death and 17 cardiovascular events, all of which occurred in people with pre-existing heart disease.”
Jones cited several studies, including an analysis of 3,690 men aged 70 to 89 years published in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism in 2014.
Bu Beng Yeap, MBBS, FRACP, Ph.D., a professor at the University of Western Australia Medical School and endocrinologist at Fiona Stanley Hospital in Perth, Western Australia, and colleagues measured plasma total testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, and estradiol, assayed using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry, in early morning samples collected from 2001 to 2004, and accessed deaths through 2010 (n = 974).
The researchers found that optimal androgen levels are a biomarker for survival. Older men with midrange levels of testosterone and dihydrotestosterone had the lowest death rates from any cause, Jones said, whereas those with higher dihydrotestosterone had lower ischemic heart disease mortality.
This does not, of course, mean that testosterone replacement is entirely without risk. TRT is not something you should try at home without proper, professional medical advice.
And that is what our clinic can provide. We will guide you every step of the way and cover everything from the correct dosage to the proper administration of the hormone. This guidance will ensure that you will receive the awesome benefits of testosterone safely and efficiently.
Contact us and discover the difference testosterone can make in your life.
Testosterone therapy provides protection against cardiovascular disease in men with low testosterone
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Are All HRT Clinics the Same? - April 30th, 2023 [April 21st, 2023]
- Avatar director James Cameron says testosterone is toxic. Commentators on Twitter call him a 'beta male' - December 6th, 2022 [December 6th, 2022]
- Two Food Compounds can reduce Alzheimer's Risk! - January 16th, 2023 [December 1st, 2022]
- Blue Zones Ground Zero of Longevity - November 12th, 2022 [November 8th, 2022]
- Tongkat Ali - Does this Testosterone Boosting Herbal Supplement Actually Work? - October 27th, 2022 [October 27th, 2022]
- Male menopause: it’s real! - December 16th, 2022 [October 26th, 2022]
- Recent Poll concludes: Sexual health is a big concern for men - January 2nd, 2023 [October 5th, 2022]
- Testosterone Impacts Behavior Based on Social Context—An Animal Study - October 7th, 2022 [September 25th, 2022]
- Testosterone Lowers Insulin Resistance in Obese Men - January 16th, 2023 [September 25th, 2022]
- Could Low-T Affect Employment Status? - September 9th, 2022 [September 1st, 2022]
- Keto Diet for Weight Loss and Low-T Relief - December 31st, 2022 [August 2nd, 2022]
- Tlando Oral Testosterone - A Pill for Low-T - June 24th, 2022 [June 14th, 2022]
- The Importance of Follicle-Stimulating Hormone for Men - June 24th, 2022 [February 10th, 2022]
- Jatenzo Testosterone Oral Treatment for Low Testosterone - June 24th, 2022 [December 16th, 2021]
- Testosterone Increases Tenacity and Persistence In Spite of Long Odds - May 17th, 2023 [November 27th, 2021]
- The Impact of Diet on Testosterone - Investigating the Science - November 26th, 2021 [November 9th, 2021]
- Investigating the Effects of Weed on Testosterone Levels and Sexual Health - November 17th, 2021 [October 30th, 2021]
- Improve Sexual Health and Testosterone Levels By Adopting the Mediterranean Diet - November 27th, 2021 [October 2nd, 2021]
- Considering the Potential of Testosterone Therapy for Some Prostate Cancer Patients - November 6th, 2021 [September 9th, 2021]
- Testosterone Boosting Foods - Food Science Explored - November 27th, 2021 [September 9th, 2021]
- Alaska Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - October 18th, 2021 [September 8th, 2021]
- Fracking Pollution Potential Danger to Testosterone Levels - November 2nd, 2021 [September 8th, 2021]
- Increase Longevity and Live Healthier with the Help of These Supplements - October 18th, 2021 [August 6th, 2021]
- What Doctors Think You Should Understand About Testosterone - November 29th, 2021 [July 1st, 2021]
- Eleven Year Study Showcases Benefits of Testosterone Therapy for Weight Loss - November 12th, 2021 [June 24th, 2021]
- Men With Low-T at Greater Risk of Deadly Covid-19 Complications - November 11th, 2021 [June 3rd, 2021]
- Combining Exercise with Testosterone Therapy for Better Results - November 16th, 2021 [May 28th, 2021]
- Exercise Enhances the Benefits of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - November 19th, 2021 [May 13th, 2021]
- Premature Ejaculation More Common Than You Think - October 29th, 2021 [May 6th, 2021]
- Pro-Inflammatory Diet May Significantly Increase Low-T Risk - November 16th, 2021 [April 29th, 2021]
- Six Hacks to Naturally Boost Testosterone Production - November 19th, 2021 [April 14th, 2021]
- The Effects of Parenthood on Testosterone Levels in Men - November 6th, 2021 [April 8th, 2021]
- The Effects of Masturbation on Sex Drive and Testosterone - November 21st, 2021 [April 8th, 2021]
- Study Explores the Effects of Testosterone on Generosity - November 18th, 2021 [April 4th, 2021]
- Over exertion in Endurance Training Can Lower Testosterone - November 18th, 2021 [March 22nd, 2021]
- Primary vs. Secondary Hypogonadism in Men - November 1st, 2021 [March 15th, 2021]
- Covid-19 May Impair Testosterone Levels - October 16th, 2021 [March 9th, 2021]
- Boosting Testosterone Levels and Enhancing Wellness Without Prescriptions and Supplements - October 21st, 2021 [March 5th, 2021]
- Building Muscle, Burning Fat, and Busting Myths - November 6th, 2021 [March 5th, 2021]
- Anakinra May Improve Testosterone Levels in Patients with Metabolic Syndrome - November 27th, 2021 [March 3rd, 2021]
- FDA Approves Jatenzo Oral Testosterone Replacement for Certain Types of Hypogonadism - October 17th, 2021 [February 24th, 2021]
- Vitamin D and Sunlight for Mood and Hormone Balance - October 24th, 2021 [February 22nd, 2021]
- Montana Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 3rd, 2021 [February 21st, 2021]
- South Dakota Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 1st, 2021 [February 19th, 2021]
- Hormone Levels and Smoking -- What You Can Do to Stop Smoking for Good! - November 12th, 2021 [February 17th, 2021]
- Maine Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - October 24th, 2021 [February 16th, 2021]
- Poor Sleeping Habits Tied to Low-T, Erectile Dysfunction, and Increased Mortality Risk - November 17th, 2021 [February 12th, 2021]
- Minnesota Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 12th, 2021 [February 10th, 2021]
- Oklahoma Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 27th, 2021 [February 9th, 2021]
- The Effect of Success on Testosterone Levels and Romantic Self-Perception - November 1st, 2021 [February 8th, 2021]
- Wyoming Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 23rd, 2021 [February 7th, 2021]
- "Mano-pause" AKA Male Menopause or Andropause, and the Treatment of Age-Related Low-T / Low Testosterone / Hypogonadism - November 6th, 2021 [February 7th, 2021]
- Mississippi Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 6th, 2021 [February 6th, 2021]
- Hawaii Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - October 31st, 2021 [February 4th, 2021]
- Dallas Texas Testosterone Clinics for Bio-Identical Testosterone Replacement Therapy - October 26th, 2021 [February 3rd, 2021]
- Massachusetts Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 23rd, 2021 [January 29th, 2021]
- New Mexico Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 20th, 2021 [January 27th, 2021]
- Nevada Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - October 19th, 2021 [January 24th, 2021]
- Delaware Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 20th, 2021 [January 23rd, 2021]
- The Four Best Ways to Amplify Testosterone Levels - November 15th, 2021 [January 21st, 2021]
- Arkansas Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 29th, 2021 [January 18th, 2021]
- Arizona Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 15th, 2021 [January 14th, 2021]
- Precursor Fat Cells and Their Potential Role in Obesity - October 18th, 2021 [December 30th, 2020]
- Xyosted Self-Administered Testosterone Therapy FDA-Approved - November 7th, 2021 [December 23rd, 2020]
- Testosterone Therapy Reduces Mortality Risk Among Diabetics Even When Accounting for Improvements in Cardiovascular Risk Factors - November 28th, 2021 [December 16th, 2020]
- Male Fertility Myths and Misunderstandings Resolved - October 31st, 2021 [December 15th, 2020]
- The Effects of Testosterone Among Healthy Men and Men With Low-T - November 13th, 2021 [December 14th, 2020]
- San Francisco Testosterone Clinics for Bio-Identical Testosterone Replacement Therapy - November 29th, 2021 [December 9th, 2020]
- Low-T Strongly Associated with Various Co-Morbid Medical Conditions - November 19th, 2021 [December 4th, 2020]
- Natesto: FDA-Approved Nasal Testosterone Gel - November 16th, 2021 [December 1st, 2020]
- New Hampshire Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - October 19th, 2021 [November 29th, 2020]
- Wisconsin Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - October 29th, 2021 [November 25th, 2020]
- Connecticut Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Hormone Therapy - November 18th, 2021 [November 24th, 2020]
- Scientific Debate Over Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Low-T Continues - November 3rd, 2021 [November 16th, 2020]
- Some Women May Benefit from Testosterone for Menopause - October 29th, 2021 [November 14th, 2020]
- Sioux Falls Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - October 26th, 2021 [November 11th, 2020]
- Chattanooga Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - October 23rd, 2021 [November 11th, 2020]
- Clarksville Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - November 5th, 2021 [November 11th, 2020]
- Knoxville Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - November 21st, 2021 [November 11th, 2020]
- Memphis Testosterone Clinics for Low-T and Comprehensive Hormone Therapy - November 14th, 2021 [November 11th, 2020]
Word Count: 634