Several weeks ago, my column, Do you want better sex? struck a resounding note not only with female readers but also with many husbands who wish their wives to have fewer headaches.
The general response was, Please write more about testosterone and how it can increase female libido.
Testosterone, the male hormone, has been called the hormone of desire. In males, the Big T builds muscle for boys and ultimately turns boys into sexually well-functioning men.
Women also produce testosterone during puberty, but only about one-tenth as much as males. Later in life, they produce less, and this is why some authorities believe women lose interest in sex.
How do women know if they have less testosterone and therefore less tiger in the tank?
There's good chance testosterone is lacking if they complain of little sexual desire, lack of energy, loss of height, decreased enjoyment in life, are sad or grumpy, fall asleep after meals and produce inadequate work performance.
If the answer is yes to four of these conditions, there may not be enough big T.
Women may lack this hormone for several reasons. In North America, 700,000 hysterectomies are done every year.
The ovaries that produce estrogen and testosterone are removed in 50% of these cases between the age of 40-44 years and 80% between 45 to 54 years of age. This sudden removal of hormones can trigger female sexual dysfunction (FSD).
Studies done at McGill University in Montreal showed that women whose ovaries had been removed proved to be more interested in sexual intercourse after treatment with a combination of estrogen and testosterone. So why is this combination, or testosterone alone, not prescribed more often to replace the tiger in the tank?
The problem is not simple. Some doctors are skeptical about the use of testosterone for women.
They argue that not enough study has been done to demonstrate its effectiveness and long-term safety, and until research is complete testosterone should be used cautiously, or not at all.
For instance, it's been shown that testosterone can have adverse effects on cholesterol levels, primarily decreasing HDL, the good cholesterol.
Other critics point out that FSD can be the result of many medical and psychological conditions such as an unhappy marriage or financial troubles.
Who is right about the use of testosterone will not be solved for many years. After all, the use of estrogen therapy for women has been a controversial subject since 1980.
But female advocates of testosterone therapy complain that too many doctors are reluctant even to discuss sexuality, let alone accept the fact that some women would benefit from testosterone.
Dr. Jerald Bain, professor of medicine at the University of Toronto, is an exception.
He prescribes testosterone, but with some reservations. He says that testosterone is not appropriate for women of childbearing age as they produce sufficient amounts at that age. And its use is also contraindicated in women who have breast or uterine cancer, liver problems, or cardiovascular disease.
And there's another problem. Dr. Bain reports that blood studies to measure the amount of testosterone are not always a reliable indicator for gauging FSD. Ovaries and adrenal glands that produce testosterone do not store it.
Once created, testosterone is secreted into the bloodstream where 99% becomes attached to sex hormone-binding globulin. The remaining 1% is known as bio-available testosterone or the working T.
As well, some women with low amounts of testosterone have great sex lives while others with high amounts have a lackluster sexual drive.
Dr. Bain stresses that, just as no shoe fits all people, the same applies to the use of testosterone. He claims that some women do benefit from testosterone, but the dose must be tailored to individual needs rather than a “one-size-fits-all” prescription.
This allows women to enjoy its benefits without experiencing possible side effects such as facial hair and acne.
Unfortunately, finding a doctor who is well versed in testosterone therapy is easier said than done at present.
- New Study Finds That Testosterone Does Not Increase Cardiovascular Risk - February 22nd, 2021
- Evidence Suggests Testosterone Plays Powerful Role in Motivating Revolutionary Change - February 15th, 2021
- How Testosterone Affects the Skin of Men - February 11th, 2021
- The Effects of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels - January 9th, 2021
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - January 6th, 2021
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - December 25th, 2020
- Testosterone Does Not Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries) in Older Men - December 24th, 2020
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Prostate Cancer to Spread - December 23rd, 2020
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - December 20th, 2020
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone - December 18th, 2020
- The Testosterone Industry Globally is Booming - December 12th, 2020
- Five Benefits of Testosterone That You Need to Know - December 11th, 2020
- Testosterone Nasal Gel: A New Form of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - December 5th, 2020
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - December 3rd, 2020
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - December 3rd, 2020
- Low-T and Your Health - November 30th, 2020
- Low Testosterone Levels may Affect Man's Sex Drive and Affect his Intimate Relationships - November 19th, 2020
- Is Testosterone the New Drug of Choice on Wall Street? How Traders are Using Male Hormone Booster Shots to Maintain a ... - November 12th, 2020
- Shorter course of ADT for high-risk prostate cancer patients yields improved quality of life - November 11th, 2020
- Testosterone Litigation: What You Need To Know - MTMP - Video - November 9th, 2020
- Methadone Lowers Testosterone in Men Only - November 8th, 2020
- Intricate relationship between Oestrogen & Testosterone XXY Guys (Klinefelters' syndrome) - Video - November 7th, 2020
- Should middle-aged men consider 'low T' treatment? - November 5th, 2020
- Testosterone and Crime: What Can Genes Tell Us About Behavior? - Video - October 25th, 2020
- Testosterone levels seen prior to birth in fetus' fingers, jawline - October 20th, 2020
- Tri-Blend Testosterone. Understanding the Benefits of Testosterone Oils - October 19th, 2020
- Testosterone levels in older men - October 17th, 2020
- Tlando Testosterone Clinical Trial for Low-T and Fatty Liver Disease - October 4th, 2020
- Testosterone Focus in Diabetes Study – Video - September 30th, 2020
- Testshock Review All Natural Testosterone Enhancement – Video - September 30th, 2020
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - September 30th, 2020
- Average Testosterone Levels Decreasing Over Time Among Younger American Men - August 21st, 2020
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 10th, 2020
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - August 6th, 2020
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - August 5th, 2020
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - August 3rd, 2020
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - August 1st, 2020
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - July 29th, 2020
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - July 26th, 2020
- Seven Types of Drugs That Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - July 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone and Geriatric Frailty - July 21st, 2020
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - July 12th, 2020
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - July 12th, 2020
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - July 6th, 2020
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - July 5th, 2020
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - July 4th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Reduces the Risk of Serious Adverse Health Consequences! - June 30th, 2020
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost Your Testosterone Levels - June 29th, 2020
- Testosterone not always to blame - Sat, 04 Aug 2012 PST - June 28th, 2020
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - June 27th, 2020
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - June 23rd, 2020
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - June 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Boosts Aerobic Capacity - June 15th, 2020
- Physiology of Testosterone - June 9th, 2020
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - May 26th, 2020
- Dr. Andre Berger on Testosterone Deficiency in Men - Andropause Symptoms and Treatment By Doctor's Desk Series - May 21st, 2020
- How to Raise Testosterone Naturally. Sermorelin - Some Have Called It A The New Fountain of Youth. A Natural Cure for Anxiety and Depression. - May 9th, 2020
- Are Athletes Using Green Tea to Mask Testosterone Doping? - May 7th, 2020
- Some Animal Research Suggests that High Testosterone May Increase Prostate Cancer Risk - May 5th, 2020
- Eleven Foods that Can Drain Your Libido - May 4th, 2020
- Testosterone Can Make Us Generous, But Only When We Do Not Perceive a Threat - May 3rd, 2020
- A New Link Between Testosterone and the Prevention of Dementia in Women - May 3rd, 2020
- Why Women Make Better Money Managers - April 30th, 2020
- Is Being a Lumberjack More Manly Than a Football Player? It's All in the Testosterone! - April 28th, 2020
- Testosterone Drug, Androxal, Helped Gay Cubans Have More Sex - April 10th, 2020
- Androxal Meets its Testosterone Study Goals - April 1st, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - February 11th, 2020
- Low on Testosterone? No Problem! - February 10th, 2020
- Dr. Richard Bebb - Testosterone, Diabetes and the Metabolic Syndrome - Video - January 21st, 2020
- Baby Boomers find “The Fountain of Youth” in Testosterone - September 2nd, 2019
- Declining Testosterone Levels in Men Not Part of Normal Aging - August 12th, 2019
- TEFINA: Nasal Spray That Can Increase Female Orgasms - August 10th, 2019
- Quick Weight Loss Tips and Diet Recommendations for HRT - August 10th, 2019
- Testosterone and Alcohol: Your Health and the Holiday Season - August 9th, 2019
- Testosterone builds muscle but has risks - August 4th, 2019
- Testosterone, the Power Hormone - August 1st, 2019
- Behavior and Lifestyle Linked to the Effect of Declining Testosterone, Not Necessarily Natural Aging - July 31st, 2019
- BUSTED: Myths About Testosterone And Its Link To Sexual Desire In Men And Women - July 28th, 2019
- Some experts say testosterone decline is a normal part of aging in men - July 14th, 2019
- The Secret to Guys Sex Appeal: Low Stress, High Testosterone, Strong Immunity - July 7th, 2019
Word Count: 660