Testosterone levels in men drop as they grow older.
For all of the talk about "male menopause," the loss of testosterone isn't anything like the hormonal nose dive that women go through. Instead of essentially disappearing all at once, testosterone levels usually decline by about 1% every year (although they can drop more dramatically, especially if a man becomes ill).
Men diagnosed with unusually low levels of testosterone are sometimes treated with prescription testosterone injections, patches or creams. Men who want to regain the levels of their younger days without a prescription may be interested in a different route: over-the-counter products that promise to boost testosterone naturally.
TestoJack 100, a supplement from NOW Foods, contains a blend of herbs, including Eleutherococcus senticosus, Tribulus terrestris and Eurycoma longifolia, along with zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6, among other ingredients. Users are instructed to take two capsules once or twice a day. It's available at many health-food stores, and you can expect to pay roughly $20 to $30 for a bottle of 60 capsules.
HGH Up, a widely available supplement from Applied Nutriceuticals, contains, among other ingredients, the herbs Chlorophytum borivillanium, Mucuna pruriens and Huperzia serrata, along with green tea, magnesium and a vitamin B complex. Users are instructed to take five capsules every day on an empty stomach — three in the morning and two in the afternoon. A bottle of 150 capsules costs about $60.
The NOW website says TestoJack "supports male reproductive function and healthy testosterone levels." The tribulus in the product is said to be especially helpful for "virility." Despite the suggestive name of the product, NOW doesn't claim that TestoJack actually increases testosterone, says Neil Levin, the company's nutrition education manager. "It supports healthy testosterone levels," he says.
According to the label, HGH Up "promotes radical increases in growth hormone and testosterone production." The website says that it can provide "the physiological benefits comparable to that of fully hormonal products while minimizing potential side effects."
Though the product is marketed mainly to weightlifters and bodybuilders, it has a growing following among older men looking for rejuvenation, says Don Orrell, president of Applied Nutriceuticals. "For an older man who has low testosterone, there is absolutely no downside to taking this," he says.
Orrell notes that the way in which the product boosts testosterone is a bit of a mystery — "that's the magic pixie dust part," he says — but he has no doubt that it works. "The anecdotal evidence is overwhelming," he adds.
The bottom line
Dr. John Morley, a testosterone expert and director of geriatrics at St. Louis University, says that there's not a lot of scientific evidence for any supplement that claims to boost or "promote" testosterone. And for him, that's a real problem.
"These sorts of products have been around forever," he says. "As far as I know, none of them have been proven to work in a carefully controlled trial."
Some of the individual ingredients in these products have been tested, with less-than-impressive results. In a 2007 study in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, Australian researchers found that giving rugby players daily doses of Tribulus terrestris for five weeks had no effect on their testosterone levels.
Chlorophytum, one of the ingredients in HGH Up, has long been used as a supposed aphrodisiac for men. A search of the medical literature uncovers a single study suggesting that it may have "testosterone-like" effects, including enhanced sex drive and stronger erections, but the study was conducted on rats, not humans.
Morley often prescribes testosterone for men who have a significant deficit of the hormone, a condition called hypogonadism. The prevalence of this condition is controversial — it depends on how one measures testosterone and defines normal levels — but Morley estimates that 30% to 40% of middle-aged men don't have enough testosterone to feel their best, sexually and otherwise. Even among these men, about one-third don't respond to testosterone treatment. In other words, testosterone is hardly a sure-fire remedy against the ravages of aging.
Over-the-counter testosterone products may carry hidden dangers. A 2008 study in Clinical Cancer Research found that two men taking a supplement called Teston-6 developed unusually aggressive, fast-growing prostate cancer. Lab tests showed that the product contained hormones (including testosterone) that weren't on the label, a common issue with nonprescription products. The manufacturer quickly pulled it from the market.
"The problem with these sorts of supplements is that they don't have to meet the regulations of the Food and Drug Administration," says Dolores Lamb, a coauthor of the Teston-6 study and professor of urology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.
A man who thinks he's short on testosterone shouldn't be looking in a health food store for answers, Morley says. "He needs to go to a doctor to get checked out."
Curious about a consumer health product? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more at latimes.com/skeptic.
View original post here:
The Healthy Skeptic: Products make testosterone claims
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- MOTS-c Therapy To Improve Body Composition - December 15th, 2022 [December 11th, 2022]
- Punicalagin: A powerful Testosterone Booster - January 17th, 2023 [November 24th, 2022]
- Blocking Testosterone to Defeat Melanoma - September 9th, 2022 [August 11th, 2022]
- Stomach Inflammation: Another Ailment That Testosterone Can Stop in its Tracks - December 19th, 2022 [August 3rd, 2022]
- Study Finds that Testosterone Boosts Memory for Uncontrolled Diabetics - July 11th, 2022 [June 24th, 2022]
- Causes of Low Libido - Could It Be Low-T? - June 24th, 2022 [May 30th, 2022]
- The Evolutionary Effects of Testosterone on Human Society - November 24th, 2021 [September 20th, 2021]
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost Your Testosterone Levels - October 30th, 2021 [September 7th, 2021]
- Men Want to Know – Free Testosterone versus Total Testosterone - January 2nd, 2023 [August 24th, 2021]
- What is testosterone? - November 10th, 2021 [May 23rd, 2021]
- Tribulus Terrestris Review Does It Raise Testosterone or ... - May 23rd, 2021 [May 22nd, 2021]
- Boosting testosterone levels (First of two parts) - May 9th, 2021 [May 8th, 2021]
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - November 27th, 2021 [May 1st, 2021]
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - November 21st, 2021 [April 28th, 2021]
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - November 20th, 2021 [April 25th, 2021]
- Deer Antler, HGH and Testosterone: Tim on Scott and BR Radio Show - Video - November 27th, 2021 [April 17th, 2021]
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - April 14th, 2021 [April 14th, 2021]
- How Testosterone Affects the Skin of Men - November 28th, 2021 [April 11th, 2021]
- Testosterone, the Power Hormone - November 23rd, 2021 [April 8th, 2021]
- Testosterone Levels and Wall Street - October 28th, 2021 [March 27th, 2021]
- Women can resist testosterone-fuelled political debate - March 13th, 2021 [March 12th, 2021]
- BUSTED: Myths About Testosterone And Its Link To Sexual Desire In Men And Women - November 4th, 2021 [March 11th, 2021]
- Attention Baby Boomers -- Could Testosterone be the Modern Day "Fountain of Youth?" - October 31st, 2022 [March 4th, 2021]
- Declining Testosterone Levels in Men Not Part of Normal Aging - October 18th, 2021 [February 28th, 2021]
- Quick Weight Loss Tips and Diet Recommendations for HRT - October 21st, 2021 [February 28th, 2021]
- Testosterone and Alcohol: Your Health and the Holiday Season - October 18th, 2021 [February 27th, 2021]
- Testosterone builds muscle but has risks - February 25th, 2021 [February 25th, 2021]
- New Study Finds That Testosterone Does Not Increase Cardiovascular Risk - November 21st, 2021 [February 22nd, 2021]
- Evidence Suggests Testosterone Plays Powerful Role in Motivating Revolutionary Change - October 20th, 2021 [February 15th, 2021]
- The Effects of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels - November 27th, 2021 [January 9th, 2021]
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - November 21st, 2021 [January 6th, 2021]
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - November 5th, 2021 [December 25th, 2020]
- Testosterone Does Not Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries) in Older Men - November 3rd, 2021 [December 24th, 2020]
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Prostate Cancer to Spread - October 19th, 2021 [December 23rd, 2020]
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - November 16th, 2021 [December 20th, 2020]
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone - November 2nd, 2021 [December 18th, 2020]
- The Testosterone Industry Globally is Booming - November 12th, 2021 [December 12th, 2020]
- Five Benefits of Testosterone That You Need to Know - October 22nd, 2021 [December 11th, 2020]
- Testosterone Nasal Gel: A New Form of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - November 23rd, 2021 [December 5th, 2020]
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - October 31st, 2022 [December 3rd, 2020]
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - November 21st, 2021 [December 3rd, 2020]
- Low-T and Your Health - October 17th, 2021 [November 30th, 2020]
- Low Testosterone Levels may Affect Man's Sex Drive and Affect his Intimate Relationships - October 17th, 2021 [November 19th, 2020]
- Is Testosterone the New Drug of Choice on Wall Street? How Traders are Using Male Hormone Booster Shots to Maintain a ... - November 3rd, 2021 [November 12th, 2020]
- Shorter course of ADT for high-risk prostate cancer patients yields improved quality of life - November 11th, 2020 [November 11th, 2020]
- Testosterone Litigation: What You Need To Know - MTMP - Video - October 21st, 2021 [November 9th, 2020]
- Methadone Lowers Testosterone in Men Only - November 9th, 2020 [November 8th, 2020]
- Should middle-aged men consider 'low T' treatment? - November 6th, 2020 [November 5th, 2020]
- Testosterone and Crime: What Can Genes Tell Us About Behavior? - Video - October 25th, 2020 [October 25th, 2020]
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women - November 28th, 2021 [October 22nd, 2020]
- Testosterone levels seen prior to birth in fetus' fingers, jawline - November 18th, 2021 [October 20th, 2020]
- Tri-Blend Testosterone. Understanding the Benefits of Testosterone Oils - November 9th, 2021 [October 19th, 2020]
- Testosterone levels in older men - November 23rd, 2021 [October 17th, 2020]
- Tlando Testosterone Clinical Trial for Low-T and Fatty Liver Disease - October 29th, 2021 [October 4th, 2020]
- Testosterone Focus in Diabetes Study – Video - September 30th, 2020 [September 30th, 2020]
- Testshock Review All Natural Testosterone Enhancement – Video - September 30th, 2020 [September 30th, 2020]
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - November 19th, 2021 [September 30th, 2020]
- Average Testosterone Levels Decreasing Over Time Among Younger American Men - November 4th, 2021 [August 21st, 2020]
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - November 14th, 2021 [August 10th, 2020]
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - November 29th, 2021 [August 6th, 2020]
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - October 31st, 2022 [August 5th, 2020]
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - November 28th, 2021 [August 3rd, 2020]
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - October 26th, 2021 [August 1st, 2020]
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - November 5th, 2021 [July 29th, 2020]
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - October 16th, 2021 [July 26th, 2020]
- Seven Types of Drugs That Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - October 23rd, 2021 [July 22nd, 2020]
- Testosterone and Geriatric Frailty - October 20th, 2021 [July 21st, 2020]
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - November 14th, 2021 [July 12th, 2020]
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - November 10th, 2021 [July 12th, 2020]
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - November 4th, 2021 [July 6th, 2020]
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - November 11th, 2021 [July 5th, 2020]
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - November 5th, 2021 [July 4th, 2020]
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Reduces the Risk of Serious Adverse Health Consequences! - November 9th, 2021 [June 30th, 2020]
- Testosterone not always to blame - Sat, 04 Aug 2012 PST - November 14th, 2021 [June 28th, 2020]
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - November 20th, 2021 [June 27th, 2020]
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - November 28th, 2021 [June 23rd, 2020]
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - November 18th, 2021 [June 22nd, 2020]
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Boosts Aerobic Capacity - November 19th, 2021 [June 15th, 2020]
- Physiology of Testosterone - November 12th, 2021 [June 9th, 2020]
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - November 19th, 2021 [May 26th, 2020]
Word Count: 871