Time magazine ran a cover story on "manopause" this week, based on a recent University of Sydney study that found the testosterone industry globally is booming, especially among middle-aged and older men who want to increase longevity and libido, boost energy and “power, passion and performance."
Video Download: The Testosterone Industry Globally Is Booming
Video Stream: The Testosterone Industry Globally Is Booming
And There's Good Reason Why
Testosterone is what makes men MEN.
Strength, energy, a healthy immune system, pain-free joints, the ability to recuperate from a grueling workout and come back the next day for more, staying sharp mentally, enjoying a great sex life and possessing the capacity to still perform...all of these are directly related to a man's testosterone level.
When we consider all of the benefits that testosterone delivers, it is easy to see why the industry is experiencing such exploding growth.
In fact, the question is not why that's happening.
The real problem is why every man in the world is not doing something to replenish his testosterone levels, levels that begin to drop off around the age of 30 at a rate of approximately 10% per decade.
Across the U.S., as well as the entire world, men are jabbing themselves with needles, wiping on gels, sticking on patches, and inserting implants under their skin.
These approaches are done to look better, feel younger and beat what is now being called the “manopause.”
In the land of clichés, a decade ago, a man’s mid-life crisis meant a shiny red sports car and a blonde girlfriend “escort” half his age hanging onto his arm.
Today, it’s extreme diets and workout routines, single-digit body fat, gym selfies of sucked-in stomachs -- and a several-billion-dollar global industry in testosterone.
So what is manopause?
Some relate it to a mid-age natural decline in testosterone production -- called andropause -- which leads to weight gain, libido loss, and a wide array of other health problems.
Go back and re-read the second paragraph. Then imagine how men feel when these benefits and joys of manhood...the things that make life worth living and deliver the pure, unadulterated pleasure of being alive...are leaving a man's body, in a treacherous manner of betrayal and treason.
When seen in this light, what man in his right mind would not want to maintain his health, youthful vitality and virility?
But Not Everyone Sees it That Way
Lisa Friedman Bloch and Kathy Kirtland Silverman, the authors of Manopause, define it as: "a powerful force that hits men between the ages of 40 and 65, as declining testosterone collides head-on with the cultural pressures men feel … Pressures like having to 'man up,' to be strong, powerful, even invulnerable, to hide emotion, and always to be able to perform sexually.”
Urban Dictionary defines it as: “Men in their early to mid-50s who lose their minds because they are going through 'the change.'"
But Professor David Handelsman, the author of the study, said manopause was “a consumerist fiction invented to fleece the gullible, worried [well-off men] with more money than sense.
There is presently a global epidemic of unproven and possibly unsafe testosterone prescribing -- much worse in North America than here --, but we seem to follow like sheep.”
Professor Handelsman’s study, published in the Medical Journal of Australia, found that between 2000 and 2011, world testosterone sales increased 12-fold from $150 million to $1.8 billion.
Per capita use rose in 37 out of 41 countries surveyed -- and the increase has been particularly acute in the past five years.
The Good Professor is Quite Concerned
The problem (according to Handelsman) is that testosterone is often handed out through off-label prescriptions, and used when not needed.
Professor Handelsman wrote that although there is little understanding of how it worked, testosterone was subject to "surging overuse from off-label prescribing for diverse unproven indications, including use in older men as an anti-aging or sexual tonic and younger men for bodybuilding or doping."
Professor Handelsman found in a previous study that drops in testosterone had more to do with poor diet, obesity or smoking than aging.
One study found sesame oil injections had the same impact as testosterone injections, which suggests the placebo effect is a powerful motivating force, especially when it propels men to eat better and move more.
Those points are hard to argue.
But the professor is overlooking one crucial fact: as stated, men who are aware of the insidious effects of low testosterone levels quite often improve their lifestyles while undergoing testosterone replacement therapy.
However, if the placebo effect is as strong as he implies, is that necessarily a bad thing? If a substance is taken, and the results are what was expected, where is the harm?
In many ways, these men are guinea pigs, often self-administering drugs with unknown risks.
Two studies have found an increased risk of heart attacks and strokes while taking testosterone.
A 2010 study had to be aborted because the older men involved were thought to be too much at risk of “adverse cardiovascular events."
However, the issue of the health risks involved with testosterone replacement therapy is far from settled.
Recently, a European Medicines Agency (EMA) review committee has concluded that there's no consistent evidence that testosterone increases the risk of heart problems in men with hypogonadism.
Also, European regulators decided that the evidence about testosterone's risks and benefits is inconsistent.
Several studies have shown an increased risk of heart problems, while others did not, the agency said in a press release. So, the jury is still out.
Some Would like Men to Suffer from Lower Testosterone Levels
Author Jill Shaw Ruddock says an increase in estrogen in the male body means 60-year-old men might: “Start exhibiting behavior that may start to surprise even him -- calling the children every day, learning how to cook and worrying about home decorating or how the dish towels are folded and put away.”
Ms. Ruddock apparently didn't conduct a study among “60-year-old men” to see if they agree with her conclusions.
Perhaps there is a good reason why she didn't.
Professor Handelsman said the excitement about manopause is “a re-emergence of the rejuvenation fantasies that recur whenever society can afford such indulgences as believing that aging can be somehow avoided.”
Again, the good professor sounds like a chapter president of the Flat Earth Society.
In the past several decades, the aging process has been slowed down considerably. In 1900, the average American male could expect to live to the ripe old age of 47.
Today, the average lifespan has grown to 78. With continual breakthroughs in nanotechnology and stem cells, we could probably be on the verge of an incredible advance in longevity.
The bottom line is this: it is up to each man to decide to fight the aging process, and if testosterone replacement is right for him.
Contact our clinic to discuss your testosterone replacement options.
Contact Us Now
- Testosterone levels seen prior to birth in fetus' fingers, jawline - September 16th, 2019
- New Study Finds That Testosterone Does Not Increase Cardiovascular Risk - September 2nd, 2019
- Baby Boomers find “The Fountain of Youth” in Testosterone - September 2nd, 2019
- Dr. Richard Bebb - Testosterone, Diabetes and the Metabolic Syndrome - Video - August 21st, 2019
- Declining Testosterone Levels in Men Not Part of Normal Aging - August 12th, 2019
- Low testosterone levels may affect man's sex drive and affect his intimate relationships - August 11th, 2019
- TEFINA: Nasal Spray That Can Increase Female Orgasms - Video - August 10th, 2019
- Quick Weight Loss Tips and Diet Recommendations for HRT - August 10th, 2019
- Testosterone and Alcohol: Your Health and the Holiday Season - August 9th, 2019
- Testosterone builds muscle but has risks - August 4th, 2019
- Testosterone not always to blame - Sat, 04 Aug 2012 PST - August 4th, 2019
- Testosterone, the Power Hormone - August 1st, 2019
- Behavior and Lifestyle Linked to the Effect of Declining Testosterone, Not Necessarily Natural Aging - July 31st, 2019
- BUSTED: Myths About Testosterone And Its Link To Sexual Desire In Men And Women - July 28th, 2019
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women 0 - July 20th, 2019
- Green tea could mask testosterone doping - July 14th, 2019
- Some experts say testosterone decline is a normal part of aging in men - July 14th, 2019
- The Secret to Guys’ Sex Appeal: Low Stress, High Testosterone, Strong Immunity - July 7th, 2019
- Low on testosterone? No problem - July 7th, 2019
- Is testosterone the new drug of choice on Wall Street? How traders are using male hormone booster shots to maintain a ... - July 4th, 2019
- The Effects of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels - April 22nd, 2019
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - April 21st, 2019
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - April 19th, 2019
- Testosterone Does Not Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries) in Older Men - April 19th, 2019
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Prostate Cancer to Spread - April 19th, 2019
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - April 19th, 2019
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone - April 19th, 2019
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - April 16th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - April 2nd, 2019
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - April 2nd, 2019
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - April 2nd, 2019
- Five Benefits of Testosterone That You Need to Know - March 31st, 2019
- Testosterone Nasal Gel: A New Form of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - March 17th, 2019
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - March 17th, 2019
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - March 17th, 2019
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - March 17th, 2019
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - March 16th, 2019
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - March 16th, 2019
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - March 16th, 2019
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost Your Testosterone Levels - March 15th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Boosts Aerobic Capacity - March 15th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Reduces the Risk of Serious Adverse Health Consequences! - March 15th, 2019
- Eleven Foods that Can Drain Your Libido - September 6th, 2018
- Some Animal Research Suggests that High Testosterone May Increase Prostate Cancer Risk - September 6th, 2018
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - August 27th, 2018
- Physiology of Testosterone - August 26th, 2018
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - August 26th, 2018
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - August 26th, 2018
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - August 26th, 2018
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - August 21st, 2018
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - August 19th, 2018
- Testosterone and Geriatric Frailty - August 18th, 2018
- Seven Types of Drugs That Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - August 18th, 2018
- Low-T and Your Health - August 17th, 2018
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - August 9th, 2018
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - August 5th, 2018
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - August 5th, 2018
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - August 3rd, 2018
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - August 2nd, 2018
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 1st, 2018
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - July 9th, 2018
- Oral Testosterone Pill Could Make Lipocine's Share Price SKYROCKET - March 18th, 2017
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - August 9th, 2016
- The Truth About Testosterone | The Dr. Oz Show - June 9th, 2016
- How Men Work | HowStuffWorks - May 28th, 2016
- 6 Ways to Increase Testosterone Levels Naturally - wikiHow - May 4th, 2016
- Testosterone: Common Questions | Testosterone Test: Total ... - May 4th, 2016
- Adrenalast Testosterone Booster | Boost Muscle Sexual ... - April 6th, 2016
- How to Lower Testosterone in Women | eHow - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Booster Reviews - Consumers Guides - February 8th, 2016
- A Harvard expert shares his thoughts on testosterone ... - February 8th, 2016
- Does Andro 400 Work; does it increase testosterone? - February 8th, 2016
- All About Testosterone! - Bodybuilding.com - February 8th, 2016
- 5 Natural Testosterone Boosters - Healthline - November 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone - Low-T and Androgen Replacement Therapy - November 2nd, 2015
- Effect of vitamin D supplementation on testosterone levels ... - October 17th, 2015
- Testosterone nasal gel works best at three doses a day, study finds - October 4th, 2015
- Testosterone: The Test | Testosterone Test: Total ... - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone: A Major Breakthrough for Menopausal Women - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - October 1st, 2015
Word Count: 1153