Time magazine ran a cover story on "manopause" this week, based on a recent University of Sydney study that found the testosterone industry globally is booming, especially among middle-aged and older men who want to increase longevity and libido, boost energy and “power, passion and performance."
And There's Good Reason Why
Testosterone is what makes men MEN.
Strength, energy, a healthy immune system, pain-free joints, the ability to recuperate from a grueling workout and come back the next day for more, staying sharp mentally, enjoying a great sex life, and possessing the capacity to still perform...all of these are directly related to a man's testosterone level.
When we consider all of the benefits that testosterone delivers, it is easy to see why the industry is experiencing such exploding growth.
In fact, the question is not why that's happening.
The real problem is why every man in the world is not doing something to replenish his testosterone levels, levels that begin to drop off around the age of 30 at a rate of approximately 10% per decade.
Across the U.S., as well as the entire world, men are jabbing themselves with needles, wiping on gels, sticking on patches, and inserting implants under their skin.
These approaches are done to look better, feel younger, and beat what is now being called the “manopause.”
In the land of clichés, a decade ago, a man’s mid-life crisis meant a shiny red sports car and a blonde girlfriend “escort” half his age hanging onto his arm.
Today, it’s extreme diets and workout routines, single-digit body fat, gym selfies of sucked-in stomachs -- and a several-billion-dollar global industry in testosterone.
So what is manopause?
Some relate it to a mid-age natural decline in testosterone production -- called andropause -- which leads to weight gain, libido loss, and a wide array of other health problems.
Go back and re-read the second paragraph. Then imagine how men feel when these benefits and joys of manhood...the things that make life worth living and deliver the pure, unadulterated pleasure of being alive...are leaving a man's body, in a treacherous manner of betrayal and treason.
When seen in this light, what man in his right mind would not want to maintain his health, youthful vitality, and virility?
But Not Everyone Sees it That Way
Lisa Friedman Bloch and Kathy Kirtland Silverman, the authors of Manopause, define it as: "a powerful force that hits men between the ages of 40 and 65, as declining testosterone collides head-on with the cultural pressures men feel … Pressures like having to 'man up,' to be strong, powerful, even invulnerable, to hide emotion, and always to be able to perform sexually.”
Urban Dictionary defines it as: “Men in their early to mid-50s who lose their minds because they are going through 'the change.'"
But Professor David Handelsman, the author of the study, said manopause was “a consumerist fiction invented to fleece the gullible, worried [well-off men] with more money than sense.
There is presently a global epidemic of unproven and possibly unsafe testosterone prescribing -- much worse in North America than here --, but we seem to follow like sheep.”
Professor Handelsman’s study, published in the Medical Journal of Australia, found that between 2000 and 2011, world testosterone sales increased 12-fold from $150 million to $1.8 billion.
Per capita use rose in 37 out of 41 countries surveyed -- and the increase has been particularly acute in the past five years.
The Good Professor is Quite Concerned
The problem (according to Handelsman) is that testosterone is often handed out through off-label prescriptions, and used when not needed.
Professor Handelsman wrote that although there is little understanding of how it worked, testosterone was subject to "surging overuse from off-label prescribing for diverse unproven indications, including use in older men as an anti-aging or sexual tonic and younger men for bodybuilding or doping."
Professor Handelsman found in a previous study that drops in testosterone had more to do with poor diet, obesity, or smoking than aging.
One study found sesame oil injections had the same impact as testosterone injections, which suggests the placebo effect is a powerful motivating force, especially when it propels men to eat better and move more.
Those points are hard to argue.
But the professor is overlooking one crucial fact: as stated, men who are aware of the insidious effects of low testosterone levels quite often improve their lifestyles while undergoing testosterone replacement therapy.
However, if the placebo effect is as strong as he implies, is that necessarily a bad thing? If a substance is taken, and the results are what was expected, where is the harm?
In many ways, these men are guinea pigs, often self-administering drugs with unknown risks.
Two studies have found an increased risk of heart attacks and strokes while taking testosterone.
A 2010 study had to be aborted because the older men involved were thought to be too much at risk of “adverse cardiovascular events."
However, the issue of the health risks involved with testosterone replacement therapy is far from settled.
Recently, a European Medicines Agency (EMA) review committee has concluded that there's no consistent evidence that testosterone increases the risk of heart problems in men with hypogonadism.
Also, European regulators decided that the evidence about testosterone's risks and benefits is inconsistent.
Several studies have shown an increased risk of heart problems, while others did not, the agency said in a press release. So, the jury is still out.
Some Would like Men to Suffer from Lower Testosterone Levels
Author Jill Shaw Ruddock says an increase in estrogen in the male body means 60-year-old men might: “Start exhibiting behavior that may start to surprise even him -- calling the children every day, learning how to cook and worrying about home decorating or how the dish towels are folded and put away.”
Ms. Ruddock apparently didn't conduct a study among “60-year-old men” to see if they agree with her conclusions.
Perhaps there is a good reason why she didn't.
Professor Handelsman said the excitement about manopause is “a re-emergence of the rejuvenation fantasies that recur whenever society can afford such indulgences as believing that aging can be somehow avoided.”
Again, the good professor sounds like a chapter president of the Flat Earth Society.
In the past several decades, the aging process has been slowed down considerably. In 1900, the average American male could expect to live to the ripe old age of 47.
Today, the average lifespan has grown to 78. With continual breakthroughs in nanotechnology and stem cells, we could probably be on the verge of an incredible advance in longevity.
The bottom line is this: it is up to each man to decide to fight the aging process, and if testosterone replacement is right for him.
Contact our clinic to discuss your testosterone replacement options.
Contact Us Today
- Blocking Testosterone to Defeat Melanoma - August 11th, 2022
- Study Finds that Testosterone Boosts Memory for Uncontrolled Diabetics - June 24th, 2022
- Causes of Low Libido - Could It Be Low-T? - May 30th, 2022
- The Evolutionary Effects of Testosterone on Human Society - September 20th, 2021
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost Your Testosterone Levels - September 7th, 2021
- Men Want to Know – Free Testosterone versus Total Testosterone - August 24th, 2021
- What is testosterone? - May 23rd, 2021
- Tribulus Terrestris Review Does It Raise Testosterone or ... - May 22nd, 2021
- Boosting testosterone levels (First of two parts) - May 8th, 2021
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - May 1st, 2021
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - April 28th, 2021
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - April 25th, 2021
- Deer Antler, HGH and Testosterone: Tim on Scott and BR Radio Show - Video - April 17th, 2021
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - April 14th, 2021
- How Testosterone Affects the Skin of Men - April 11th, 2021
- Testosterone, the Power Hormone - April 8th, 2021
- Testosterone Levels and Wall Street - March 27th, 2021
- Women can resist testosterone-fuelled political debate - March 12th, 2021
- BUSTED: Myths About Testosterone And Its Link To Sexual Desire In Men And Women - March 11th, 2021
- Attention Baby Boomers -- Could Testosterone be the Modern Day "Fountain of Youth?" - March 4th, 2021
- Declining Testosterone Levels in Men Not Part of Normal Aging - February 28th, 2021
- Quick Weight Loss Tips and Diet Recommendations for HRT - February 28th, 2021
- Testosterone and Alcohol: Your Health and the Holiday Season - February 27th, 2021
- Testosterone builds muscle but has risks - February 25th, 2021
- New Study Finds That Testosterone Does Not Increase Cardiovascular Risk - February 22nd, 2021
- Evidence Suggests Testosterone Plays Powerful Role in Motivating Revolutionary Change - February 15th, 2021
- The Effects of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels - January 9th, 2021
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - January 6th, 2021
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - December 25th, 2020
- Testosterone Does Not Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries) in Older Men - December 24th, 2020
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Prostate Cancer to Spread - December 23rd, 2020
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - December 20th, 2020
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone - December 18th, 2020
- Five Benefits of Testosterone That You Need to Know - December 11th, 2020
- Testosterone Nasal Gel: A New Form of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - December 5th, 2020
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - December 3rd, 2020
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - December 3rd, 2020
- Low-T and Your Health - November 30th, 2020
- Low Testosterone Levels may Affect Man's Sex Drive and Affect his Intimate Relationships - November 19th, 2020
- Is Testosterone the New Drug of Choice on Wall Street? How Traders are Using Male Hormone Booster Shots to Maintain a ... - November 12th, 2020
- Shorter course of ADT for high-risk prostate cancer patients yields improved quality of life - November 11th, 2020
- Testosterone Litigation: What You Need To Know - MTMP - Video - November 9th, 2020
- Methadone Lowers Testosterone in Men Only - November 8th, 2020
- Intricate relationship between Oestrogen & Testosterone XXY Guys (Klinefelters' syndrome) - Video - November 7th, 2020
- Should middle-aged men consider 'low T' treatment? - November 5th, 2020
- Testosterone and Crime: What Can Genes Tell Us About Behavior? - Video - October 25th, 2020
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women - October 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone levels seen prior to birth in fetus' fingers, jawline - October 20th, 2020
- Tri-Blend Testosterone. Understanding the Benefits of Testosterone Oils - October 19th, 2020
- Testosterone levels in older men - October 17th, 2020
- Tlando Testosterone Clinical Trial for Low-T and Fatty Liver Disease - October 4th, 2020
- Testosterone Focus in Diabetes Study – Video - September 30th, 2020
- Testshock Review All Natural Testosterone Enhancement – Video - September 30th, 2020
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - September 30th, 2020
- Average Testosterone Levels Decreasing Over Time Among Younger American Men - August 21st, 2020
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 10th, 2020
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - August 6th, 2020
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - August 5th, 2020
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - August 3rd, 2020
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - August 1st, 2020
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - July 29th, 2020
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - July 26th, 2020
- Seven Types of Drugs That Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - July 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone and Geriatric Frailty - July 21st, 2020
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - July 12th, 2020
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - July 12th, 2020
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - July 6th, 2020
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - July 5th, 2020
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - July 4th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Reduces the Risk of Serious Adverse Health Consequences! - June 30th, 2020
- Testosterone not always to blame - Sat, 04 Aug 2012 PST - June 28th, 2020
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - June 27th, 2020
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - June 23rd, 2020
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - June 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Boosts Aerobic Capacity - June 15th, 2020
- Physiology of Testosterone - June 9th, 2020
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - May 26th, 2020
- Dr. Andre Berger on Testosterone Deficiency in Men - Andropause Symptoms and Treatment By Doctor's Desk Series - May 21st, 2020
- How to Raise Testosterone Naturally. Sermorelin - Some Have Called It A The New Fountain of Youth. A Natural Cure for Anxiety and Depression. - May 9th, 2020
- Are Athletes Using Green Tea to Mask Testosterone Doping? - May 7th, 2020
Word Count: 1151