It may be hard to believe but science says that men’s hormones can be effected on a monthly basis by the lunar (or moon) cycle. Especially with the full moon, men suffer from disrupted sleep and increased stress. The hormones affected are the sex hormone, testosterone, and the stress hormone, cortisol, both of which flow regularly through a man’s bloodstream.
Lunar Cycle Affects Testosterone and Blood Chemistry in Men
The scientists involved in this fascinating study are from research centers in Tunisia and Qatar. In addition to the moon affecting testosterone and cortisol, the scientists also suspect that solar radiation, which is reflected off of a full moon down to Earth, could be causing changes in brain activity and blood chemistry. Who would have thought that the moon had such an effect on our lives and health!
A co-author of the study, Ismail Dergaa, stated: “Our study confirms for the first time that the lunar cycle affects the hormonal and haematological profile of humans.”
Scientists used blood samples to analyze their data. These samples were taken from the twenty male subjects on full and new moons in the morning and evening. During the full moon, levels of melatonin and testosterone were lower when compared to samples taken during the new moon. Melatonin is the hormone that our bodies naturally produce that signals our body to relax and fall asleep.
Interestingly, levels of cortisol were elevated during the full moon. Cortisol is sometimes called the “body’s built-in alarm system,” because it is what causes us to experience the “fight or flight” response during a stressful situation.
For the study, everything was completed within a sleep laboratory and participants were monitored through the night after going to bed following a strict schedule of dinner and free time. They were allowed to sleep for 8 hours, after which a 30-minute rest was allowed before their fasting blood samples were taken.
Scientists have several theories as to why the lunar cycle affects men’s hormones. These theories include:
- The gravitational force of the moon exerting itself on the water mass of human cells, similar to how it does this with the earth’s surface, being composed of similar proportions of water
- the lunar tidal force could be affecting biochemical processes via changes in electromagnetic radiation causing the release of neuro-hormones or increased neural activity
- the solar radiation reflected by the full moon could be modifying brain activity and biochemical activity
Of course, these are just theories at the moment. It is just very interesting to note that a man’s hormones, testosterone, and cortisol, are significantly affected by the moon. This may explain some odd behavior around the full moon!
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Kevin Nash Defends The Rock’s PED Use after Joe Rogan’s Comments - January 17th, 2023 [December 15th, 2022]
- Testosterone Recruits Immune Cells That Fight Cancer - January 1st, 2023 [November 22nd, 2022]
- Think Testosterone is for Men Only? THINK AGAIN! - January 16th, 2023 [November 16th, 2022]
- The Testosterone Controversy: To Take or not to Take? - January 17th, 2023 [November 8th, 2022]
- Testosterone for TRT Could Someday Be Supplied from a Single Skin Cell - January 13th, 2023 [September 5th, 2022]
- Guide to Boosting Your Testosterone Levels Naturally - January 13th, 2023 [August 16th, 2022]
- Testosterone and Human Behavior: Hormone Promotes Prosocial Behaviors - January 11th, 2023 [August 15th, 2022]
- Frustrating Factors That Suppress Testosterone Levels - July 10th, 2022 [July 10th, 2022]
- Study Investigates the Effects of Democratic Outcomes on Testosterone Levels - June 24th, 2022 [March 30th, 2022]
- Your Life on Testosterone: Overly Sure, Unwilling to Listen to Anyone - October 28th, 2021 [October 17th, 2021]
- Too much testosterone makes for bad decisions, tests show - Testosterone Prescription - November 26th, 2021 [May 10th, 2021]
- With testosterone, it's 'my way or the highway': UK study - Testosterone Prescription - October 26th, 2021 [May 9th, 2021]
- Testosterone therapy — good idea or not? - Testosterone Prescription - November 11th, 2021 [May 5th, 2021]
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women- Testosterone Prescription - November 17th, 2021 [May 3rd, 2021]
- Environment trumps genes in testosterone levels, study finds - Testosterone Prescription - November 8th, 2021 [May 2nd, 2021]
- Men with higher testosterone tend to lie less, study suggests - November 14th, 2021 [April 30th, 2021]
- Increase in testosterone drug use - Testosterone Prescription - November 1st, 2021 [April 29th, 2021]
- The top ten testosterone booster supplements: A review - November 4th, 2021 [April 27th, 2021]
- Testosterone replacement therapy improves symptoms of metabolic syndrome - Testosterone Prescription - November 1st, 2021 [April 24th, 2021]
- Testosterone Therapy Could Lower Diabetes Risk for Men – The Science is Promising! - January 2nd, 2023 [February 19th, 2021]
- Acidosis: The Hidden Health Destroyer - November 26th, 2021 [January 20th, 2021]
- Testosterone Linked to Heart Disease -- Testosterone Prescription - November 10th, 2021 [November 18th, 2020]
- Testosterone Drives Ego, Reduces Cooperation — Testosterone Prescription - November 1st, 2021 [November 2nd, 2020]
- Hypogonadism and Testosterone - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - October 20th, 2021 [June 14th, 2020]
- Low-T: Men With Low Testosterone Found More Likely to Die From COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - December 19th, 2022 [June 12th, 2020]
- A Disturbing Trend: Testosterone Levels Falling Even Lower in Adolescent Males - December 18th, 2022 [May 31st, 2020]
- Testosterone, Viagra not a winning combination for erectile dysfunction - Testosterone Prescription - November 25th, 2021 [April 30th, 2020]
- Testosterone Reduces Group Think, Cooperation, and Less Sheep-Like Mentality - November 1st, 2022 [April 25th, 2020]
- Five Myths About Low Testosterone And Testosterone Therapy — Testosterone Prescription - November 13th, 2021 [April 8th, 2020]
- A Great Way to Boost Your Testosterone? Get Married! - October 16th, 2021 [April 1st, 2020]
- Co-Sleeping with Baby Drops Men’s Testosterone Levels - November 20th, 2021 [March 21st, 2020]
- Low Testosterone Levels Cause Health Woes -- Testosterone Prescription - November 16th, 2021 [March 11th, 2020]
- Question: What Makes Men Sexy to Women? Answer: Low Stress, High Testosterone, Strong Immunity - Testosterone Therapy - November 21st, 2021 [February 29th, 2020]
Word Count: 464