It may be hard to believe but science says that men’s hormones can be effected on a monthly basis by the lunar (or moon) cycle. Especially with the full moon, men suffer from disrupted sleep and increased stress. The hormones affected are the sex hormone, testosterone, and the stress hormone, cortisol, both of which flow regularly through a man’s bloodstream.
Lunar Cycle Affects Testosterone and Blood Chemistry in Men
The scientists involved in this fascinating study are from research centers in Tunisia and Qatar. In addition to the moon affecting testosterone and cortisol, the scientists also suspect that solar radiation, which is reflected off of a full moon down to Earth, could be causing changes in brain activity and blood chemistry. Who would have thought that the moon had such an effect on our lives and health!
A co-author of the study, Ismail Dergaa, stated: “Our study confirms for the first time that the lunar cycle affects the hormonal and haematological profile of humans.”
Scientists used blood samples to analyze their data. These samples were taken from the twenty male subjects on full and new moons in the morning and evening. During the full moon, levels of melatonin and testosterone were lower when compared to samples taken during the new moon. Melatonin is the hormone that our bodies naturally produce that signals our body to relax and fall asleep.
Interestingly, levels of cortisol were elevated during the full moon. Cortisol is sometimes called the “body’s built-in alarm system,” because it is what causes us to experience the “fight or flight” response during a stressful situation.
For the study, everything was completed within a sleep laboratory and participants were monitored through the night after going to bed following a strict schedule of dinner and free time. They were allowed to sleep for 8 hours, after which a 30-minute rest was allowed before their fasting blood samples were taken.
Scientists have several theories as to why the lunar cycle affects men’s hormones. These theories include:
- The gravitational force of the moon exerting itself on the water mass of human cells, similar to how it does this with the earth’s surface, being composed of similar proportions of water
- the lunar tidal force could be affecting biochemical processes via changes in electromagnetic radiation causing the release of neuro-hormones or increased neural activity
- the solar radiation reflected by the full moon could be modifying brain activity and biochemical activity
Of course, these are just theories at the moment. It is just very interesting to note that a man’s hormones, testosterone, and cortisol, are significantly affected by the moon. This may explain some odd behavior around the full moon!
- Your Life on Testosterone: Overly Sure, Unwilling to Listen to Anyone - October 17th, 2021
- Too much testosterone makes for bad decisions, tests show - Testosterone Prescription - May 10th, 2021
- With testosterone, it's 'my way or the highway': UK study - Testosterone Prescription - May 9th, 2021
- Testosterone therapy — good idea or not? - Testosterone Prescription - May 5th, 2021
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women- Testosterone Prescription - May 3rd, 2021
- Environment trumps genes in testosterone levels, study finds - Testosterone Prescription - May 2nd, 2021
- Men with higher testosterone tend to lie less, study suggests - April 30th, 2021
- Increase in testosterone drug use - Testosterone Prescription - April 29th, 2021
- The top ten testosterone booster supplements: A review - April 27th, 2021
- Testosterone replacement therapy improves symptoms of metabolic syndrome - Testosterone Prescription - April 24th, 2021
- Testosterone Therapy Could Lower Diabetes Risk for Men – The Science is Promising! - February 19th, 2021
- Acidosis: The Hidden Health Destroyer - January 20th, 2021
- Testosterone Linked to Heart Disease -- Testosterone Prescription - November 18th, 2020
- Testosterone Drives Ego, Reduces Cooperation — Testosterone Prescription - November 2nd, 2020
- Hypogonadism and Testosterone - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - June 14th, 2020
- Low-T: Men With Low Testosterone Found More Likely to Die From COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - June 12th, 2020
- A Disturbing Trend: Testosterone Levels Falling Even Lower in Adolescent Males - May 31st, 2020
- Testosterone, Viagra not a winning combination for erectile dysfunction - Testosterone Prescription - April 30th, 2020
- Testosterone Reduces Group Think, Cooperation, and Less Sheep-Like Mentality - April 25th, 2020
- Five Myths About Low Testosterone And Testosterone Therapy — Testosterone Prescription - April 8th, 2020
- A Great Way to Boost Your Testosterone? Get Married! - April 1st, 2020
- Co-Sleeping with Baby Drops Men’s Testosterone Levels - March 21st, 2020
- Low Testosterone Levels Cause Health Woes -- Testosterone Prescription - March 11th, 2020
- Question: What Makes Men Sexy to Women? Answer: Low Stress, High Testosterone, Strong Immunity - Testosterone Therapy - February 29th, 2020
Word Count: 453