Boys will be boys. We fight, we apologize, and we enjoy some cold ones the next day like nothing happened. That fraternal feeling may never reach some feuding biotech companies, which seem to find the courtroom as familiar as the research lab. At the center of it all is the hormone that defines masculinity itself: testosterone. Feel the irony?
By now you've probably seen a commercial on TV or a full page print ad for AbbVie's (NYSE: ABBV) AndroGel -- the leading testosterone replacement therapy, or TRT, on the market. And you shouldn't expect the marketing barrage to end any time soon. More and more companies are following demographics into the more than $2 billion U.S. market for TRTs, which is expected to grow to $5 billion by 2017 -- roughly the same size as the erectile dysfunction market today.
Does the rush to resupply the world's manliness amount to opportunity or disaster for AbbVie? It may just depend on your timeline.
First to market, first to fallAbbVie acquired AndroGel in its $6.2 billion acquisition of Solvay Pharmaceuticals in 2010. Given the drug's $1.19 billion in sales last year, the acquisition could more than pay for itself. While the company and analysts expect double digit growth in 2013, the long term success of the franchise -- 1% and 1.62% topical gels -- may hinge on the success of generics eyeing the market. Being the first to market has its advantages, but it also gives your competitors a face to pin to the dart board.
Generic drug manufacturer Perrigo (NASDAQ: PRGO) recently received FDA approval for an AndroGel 1% bioequivalent. The situation got worse for AbbVie a week later when Perrigo filed an Abbreviated New Drug Application for an AndroGel 1.62% bioequivalent, effectively putting the company's entire franchise at risk or future risk. Perrigo will be granted generic exclusivity for 6 months upon FDA approval as the first to file a challenge to AbbVie's patent.
There is more indirect competition for AbbVie to fend off as well. Eli Lilly (NYSE: LLY) has pushed into the testosterone market with muted results thus far. The company's Androderm patch and Axiron topical gel only contributed $135 million to total sales in 2012 hardly a major threat to AndroGel.
Auxilium Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: AUXL) enjoyed more success than Eli Lilly with its 1% testosterone gel Testim, which generated $233 in sales last year. Still, sales of the company's TRT only grew 8% compared to 2011. AndroGel grew 31% in 2012. It appears that Perrigo's generic version of AndroGel poses the biggest risk to AbbVie.
Worst-case scenarioLet's be honest -- a lot of things need to go wrong for AndroGel to fall from the leaderboard or not be the market's top-selling drug. AbbVie's targeted marketing campaign has vaulted its TRT well ahead of competing therapies. A more likely scenario would be for growth to slow in the face of a bigger field. In that case, the timing couldn't be worse.
AbbVie is already banking on sales growth from Humira and AndroGel to offset declining drug revenue elsewhere through 2015. By then, the first new pipeline drugs are expected to kick in. If the company's vision of its future is off by just one or two drugs, AbbVie could be headed downhill -- even for just a short time -- when 2015 arrives.
Foolish bottom lineCan AbbVie defend its turf and continue to gain the lion's share of the growth in TRTs? Yes, and it may be able to do so relatively easily. If the market more than doubles by 2017 -- as analysts expect -- there will be more than enough room to accommodate a multitude of therapies. I just wouldn't be so quick to write-off the generic challenge from Perrigo and other maturing products if I was an AbbVie investor. It is a question mark that has yet to be fully accounted for in any growth models or scenarios I have viewed.
Read the rest here:
Will Testosterone Fuel Biotech's Next Great Race?
- Testosterone levels seen prior to birth in fetus' fingers, jawline - September 16th, 2019
- New Study Finds That Testosterone Does Not Increase Cardiovascular Risk - September 2nd, 2019
- Baby Boomers find “The Fountain of Youth” in Testosterone - September 2nd, 2019
- Dr. Richard Bebb - Testosterone, Diabetes and the Metabolic Syndrome - Video - August 21st, 2019
- Declining Testosterone Levels in Men Not Part of Normal Aging - August 12th, 2019
- Low Testosterone Levels may Affect Man's Sex Drive and Affect his Intimate Relationships - August 11th, 2019
- TEFINA: Nasal Spray That Can Increase Female Orgasms - Video - August 10th, 2019
- Quick Weight Loss Tips and Diet Recommendations for HRT - August 10th, 2019
- Testosterone and Alcohol: Your Health and the Holiday Season - August 9th, 2019
- Testosterone builds muscle but has risks - August 4th, 2019
- Testosterone not always to blame - Sat, 04 Aug 2012 PST - August 4th, 2019
- Testosterone, the Power Hormone - August 1st, 2019
- Behavior and Lifestyle Linked to the Effect of Declining Testosterone, Not Necessarily Natural Aging - July 31st, 2019
- BUSTED: Myths About Testosterone And Its Link To Sexual Desire In Men And Women - July 28th, 2019
- Testosterone shown to help sexually frustrated women - July 20th, 2019
- Green tea could mask testosterone doping - July 14th, 2019
- Some experts say testosterone decline is a normal part of aging in men - July 14th, 2019
- The Secret to Guys’ Sex Appeal: Low Stress, High Testosterone, Strong Immunity - July 7th, 2019
- Low on testosterone? No problem - July 7th, 2019
- Is testosterone the new drug of choice on Wall Street? How traders are using male hormone booster shots to maintain a ... - July 4th, 2019
- The Effects of Parenthood Upon Testosterone Levels - April 22nd, 2019
- Testicular Cancer Survivors are at Risk for Low Testosterone - April 21st, 2019
- Amygdala and it's Relationship to Testosterone and Fear - April 19th, 2019
- Testosterone Does Not Cause Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries) in Older Men - April 19th, 2019
- Increased Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Prostate Cancer to Spread - April 19th, 2019
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Enanthate: The Real Facts - April 19th, 2019
- A Surprising Side Effect of Methadone Treatment: Suppressed Testosterone - April 19th, 2019
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - April 16th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - April 2nd, 2019
- What Is Testosterone AndroGel - April 2nd, 2019
- How long does it take for Testosterone replacement treatments and therapy to work? - April 2nd, 2019
- The Testosterone Industry Globally is Booming - April 1st, 2019
- Five Benefits of Testosterone That You Need to Know - March 31st, 2019
- Testosterone Nasal Gel: A New Form of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - March 17th, 2019
- Testosterone: Should You Take it to Regain Your Libido and Youthful Energy? - March 17th, 2019
- Manhood Washed Away: You Could Unknowingly be Annihilating Your Testosterone - March 17th, 2019
- New Research Proves Testosterone Replacement Therapy is Safe for the Heart - March 17th, 2019
- Skinny Bartender with Low Testosterone Becomes a Ripped Bodybuilder - March 16th, 2019
- Five Facts About Testosterone (That Maybe You Didn't Know) - March 16th, 2019
- Testosterone's Surprising Link to Men's 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin - March 16th, 2019
- More Sex: A Better Way to Boost Your Testosterone Levels - March 15th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Boosts Aerobic Capacity - March 15th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Reduces the Risk of Serious Adverse Health Consequences! - March 15th, 2019
- Eleven Foods that Can Drain Your Libido - September 6th, 2018
- Some Animal Research Suggests that High Testosterone May Increase Prostate Cancer Risk - September 6th, 2018
- The Truth Behind Common Male Sex Myths - August 27th, 2018
- Physiology of Testosterone - August 26th, 2018
- Testosterone Injections for Low-T and Andropause - August 26th, 2018
- Testosterone Therapy Allows Man to Have the Body That He Was Meant to Have - August 26th, 2018
- Could Civilization Have Been Formed as a Result of Declining Testosterone Levels in Males? - August 26th, 2018
- Testosterone and Aggression: How T-Levels Impact Human Response to External, Social Threats - August 21st, 2018
- Testosterone Deficiency Strongly Linked to Heart Attack Risk in New Study - August 19th, 2018
- Testosterone and Geriatric Frailty - August 18th, 2018
- Seven Types of Drugs That Can Inhibit Sex Drive and Libido - August 18th, 2018
- Low-T and Your Health - August 17th, 2018
- How to Build Muscle Quickly by Boosting Testosterone Levels - August 9th, 2018
- Andropause: Age-Associated Testosterone Decline - August 5th, 2018
- High-Dose Testosterone Injections May Be a Viable Palliative Late-Stage Prostate Cancer Treatment - August 5th, 2018
- Fortesta Brand Testosterone Therapy - August 3rd, 2018
- Testosterone Therapy and Androgen Deficiency Guide - August 2nd, 2018
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 1st, 2018
- Testosterone, Anxiety, and Depression - July 9th, 2018
- What is Testosterone? What does Testosterone do? Find on - August 9th, 2016
- The Truth About Testosterone | The Dr. Oz Show - June 9th, 2016
- How Men Work | HowStuffWorks - May 28th, 2016
- 6 Ways to Increase Testosterone Levels Naturally - wikiHow - May 4th, 2016
- Testosterone: Common Questions | Testosterone Test: Total ... - May 4th, 2016
- Adrenalast Testosterone Booster | Boost Muscle Sexual ... - April 6th, 2016
- How to Lower Testosterone in Women | eHow - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Booster Reviews - Consumers Guides - February 8th, 2016
- A Harvard expert shares his thoughts on testosterone ... - February 8th, 2016
- Does Andro 400 Work; does it increase testosterone? - February 8th, 2016
- All About Testosterone! - Bodybuilding.com - February 8th, 2016
- 5 Natural Testosterone Boosters - Healthline - November 2nd, 2015
- Testosterone - Low-T and Androgen Replacement Therapy - November 2nd, 2015
- Effect of vitamin D supplementation on testosterone levels ... - October 17th, 2015
- Testosterone nasal gel works best at three doses a day, study finds - October 4th, 2015
- Testosterone: The Test | Testosterone Test: Total ... - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone: A Major Breakthrough for Menopausal Women - October 1st, 2015
- Testosterone (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - October 1st, 2015
Contact Us Now
How useful was this post?
Click on a smiley face to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
Word Count: 645