A study just published last month in Liver International determined that there is an association between low testosterone levels/high estrogen levels and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).
Most people associate liver disease with alcoholics, but in recent decades an increasing number of Americans are hurting their livers through other means, including being overweight.
The recent study discussed here shows that hormone imbalance is associated with the disease as well – another issue that many Americans face but do not realize and go hand-in-hand with increased weight gain.
Testosterone, Estrogen, and NAFLD
This study utilized a cross-sectional analysis of data from 1988 to 1991 with a pool of 919 men as the sample size. Specifically, they wanted to see if there was any correlation between steroid sex hormones, liver enzyme levels, and NAFLD.
The researchers took the existing data from the late 80s on serum total and free testosterone, total and free estradiol, rostanediol glucuronide (AAG), and sex steroid-binding globulin (SHBG) as the sex hormones of interest.
Free testosterone/estradiol is the form found in the bloodstream in its original, unaltered form of the molecule while total levels include both free forms and the molecules that are bound to others in the bloodstream.
The liver enzymes in question were aspartate aminotransferase (AST) and alanine aminotransferase (ALT).
The presence of NAFLD was determined via ultrasound after adjusting for other possible factors contributing to the disease such as alcohol, age, and waist circumference.
Waist circumference is important because the more fat a person is carrying, especially around the waist, the more fat there will be surrounding the liver – the definition of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
The liver cannon function properly when it has fat accumulating in it and around it. The fat is actually stored in the liver cells.
Low Testosterone Associated With NAFLD
After analysis of the data, the researchers found that low total testosterone and high free estradiol (or estrogen) were associated with a higher chance of developing NAFLD. Free testosterone and total estrogen were not associated with NAFLD or liver enzymes.
The association was found to be so great between total testosterone and NAFLD that it is being considered as a biomarker for NAFLD diagnosis.
It is not surprising that low testosterone and high estrogen would be associated with NAFLD considering the fact that men with high estrogen levels in the bloodstream have been found to be overweight and have low muscle tone.
In addition, high estrogen levels in men cause low testosterone levels. They have an inverse relationship. Unfortunately, there is an increased number of men experiencing low testosterone levels and high estrogen levels in America – it could even be considered an epidemic of low testosterone!
Lower Estrogen Levels to Increase Testosterone
Essentially, the presence of estrogen inhibits testosterone production. Unfortunately, there are many environmental and lifestyle factors in modern America that contribute to increased levels of estrogen in men.
These include certain foods, such as soy, endocrine-disrupting chemicals found in various products such as BPA and obesity. The more fat/less muscle you have, the more estrogen your body will tend to produce.
If losing weight or removing the environmental factors in your life that may be contributing to increased estrogen are not working, it may be time to consider testosterone replacement therapy (TRT).
Men suffering from low testosterone do not only deal with the possible increased risk of NAFLD, but they also have issues with erectile dysfunction, low muscle mass, fatigue, and increased belly fat. If you are someone who has been dealing with such issues, consider getting your testosterone levels checked with a simple blood test.
Our clinic is available for free, no-obligation consultation, and can get you set up with a local laboratory for the blood test.
Do not hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have regarding the risks of low testosterone and hormone imbalance.
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Low Total Testosterone in Men Linked to Chronic Diseases - August 11th, 2022
- Six Benefits of Testosterone Boosting Supplements - June 9th, 2022
- Did You Know? Testosterone Protects Your Heart! - January 21st, 2022
- Marijuana and Testosterone Levels: Are Your Manboobs Caused by Smoking Weed? - October 19th, 2021
- Low Levels of Testosterone Linked to Sleep Apnea - September 29th, 2021
- Testosterone, Intelligence, and Your Brain - September 1st, 2021
- Increased Fat Intake Could Boost Moderate Low Testosterone Levels - June 13th, 2021
- Low Testosterone In Women - VieNue Bioidentical ... - May 30th, 2021
- Truth About Testosterone Quiz: Low Testosterone and Axiron - April 26th, 2021
- Low T - My life was falling apart because I had low testosterone - April 25th, 2021
- Testosterone cream and gel for supplementation treating hypogonadism - March 13th, 2021
- Ester Marsh: Low testosterone and exercise - November 6th, 2020
- It is the rare man who has low T - November 4th, 2020
- Hypotestosteronism - Low Testosterone and Hypogonadism - June 12th, 2020
- The Effects of Marijuana on Testosterone Production - May 16th, 2020
- Can Testosterone Deficiency Cause or Contribute to Feelings of Depression? - May 6th, 2020
- Methadone Suppresses Testosterone Production in Men - May 5th, 2020
- How Low Testosterone Could Be Deadly - April 24th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Beneficial for Modern Men? - February 11th, 2020
- Low Testosterone Explained - WebMD - July 29th, 2016
- Testosterone therapy: Potential benefits and risks as you age - Mayo Clinic - July 29th, 2016
- Low Testosterone in Men - Hormone Health Network - May 9th, 2016
- 7 Symptoms of Low Testosterone in Women - May 9th, 2016
- Low Male Testosterone Level - Symptoms and Diagnosis - April 29th, 2016
- Low Testosterone (Low-T) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - eMedicineHealth - April 17th, 2016
- How can I boost my testosterone level? - WebMD Answers - April 10th, 2016
- Increase Low Testosterone Levels with Testosterone-Rx ... - February 8th, 2016
- Low Testosterone and Your Health - WebMD - October 29th, 2015
- Low Testosterone - Steroid .com - October 22nd, 2015
- LowTestosterone.com - Symptoms of Low Testosterone - October 5th, 2015
- Is Low Testosterone Affecting Your Health? - August 8th, 2015
- Low Testosterone (Low-T): Get Facts on Levels and Treatment - August 7th, 2015
- Low Testosterone in Men With Diabetes - July 6th, 2015
- Myths and Misconceptions around Low Testosterone Treatment - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Cure Intro - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Luke McNally - Low Vitamin D may cause low testosterone - Video - April 30th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Therapy Risks and Benefits - Video - April 25th, 2015
- Too Much Estrogen? Every Man Should Watch This! - Video - April 24th, 2015
- The Truth About Low Testosterone - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Low Testosterone - Men Lose 90% of their Testosterone from age 25 to age 70 - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Ageless Living - Topic: Low Testosterone - Video - April 17th, 2015
- 10 Foods That overcome low testosterone levels - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Low testosterone - April 13th - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Low testosterone help - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Treatment Center in St. Louis | Low T Therapy - April 4th, 2015
- Low-T in women can lead to obesity, study finds - April 2nd, 2015
- Men's Health Show | Low-T, Prostate, Robotic Surgery - Video - March 30th, 2015
- How can we find out if my husband has low testosterone? - Video - March 29th, 2015
- How Even Borderline Low T Might Affect Your Health - Video - March 14th, 2015
- Feel Like You are 25 Again,Low Testosterone, Testosterone solution - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Antares Announces Positive Pharmacokinetic Results From QuickShot Phase 3 Study - February 25th, 2015
- Low Testosterone anxiety - Men's Health - MedHelp - February 23rd, 2015
- low libido High Testosterone - Urology - MedHelp - February 23rd, 2015
- Low Testosterone Therapy | Men's Health - February 23rd, 2015
- Valentine's Day is an important day for men's health - Video - February 18th, 2015
- Treatments for Low Testosterone from Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Edition - Video - February 15th, 2015
- Testosterone treatment soars, but is it the answer? - Video - February 15th, 2015
- Why is Low Testosterone so Common - Video - February 12th, 2015
- 7 ways hormones improve your quality of life - February 5th, 2015
- Low T | How To Increase Testosterone Naturally - February 1st, 2015
- Low Testosterone Symptoms | eHow - eHow | How to ... - January 31st, 2015
- Low Testosterone | Symptoms, Causes, Treatments - January 30th, 2015
- Analysis Rejects Linkage Between Testosterone Therapy And Cardiovascular Risk - January 28th, 2015
- Bodybuilding supplement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - January 11th, 2015
- Strategy Might Thwart Resistance to a Common Prostate Cancer Treatment - January 10th, 2015
- Low Testosterone Treatment for Men Insurance Accepted ... - December 29th, 2014
- What is Testosterone? | Boston Medical Group - December 29th, 2014
- Renew Male Review: Fix Low Testosterone With Natural Booster - Video - December 22nd, 2014
- Symptoms of A Low Testosterone Level How To Know Quickly - Video - December 22nd, 2014
- The Link Between Low Testosterone and Heart Disease - December 17th, 2014
- The ONE Hormone That Makes You FAT and Kills Your SEX Drive - Video - December 12th, 2014
- Manhood down the drain, everyday products could be wiping out your testosterone - November 27th, 2014
- How To Get Rid Of Low Testosterone Using Home Remedies? - Video - November 26th, 2014
- Low Testosterone? Boost it Naturally! - Video - November 22nd, 2014
- Is Low Testosterone Dangerous to Your Health? - November 19th, 2014
- diabetes - Video - November 18th, 2014
- Gladstone Barret -Low Testosterone Levels - Video - November 17th, 2014
- Healthy Living Series on Low Testosterone - Video - November 15th, 2014
- Low Testosterone | Men's Health Doctor | Dr George Forgan-Smith - Video - October 26th, 2014
- ASK UNMC! What treatments are available for low testosterone and are they safe? - Video - October 23rd, 2014
Word Count: 655