Covid-19 is the famous virus at the moment, still in 2021, but another seriously scary virus that we cannot forget about is HIV, or human immunodeficiency virus. It is still wreaking havoc on the bodies of thousands of people around the world, leading to shortened lifespans and very low quality of life. Thankfully, there are researchers out there who have devoted their lives to help better the statistics in terms of improved quality of life with an extended lifespan. Interestingly, one of the potential treatment programs involve testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) and resistance exercise.
The Basics of HIV
We have all heard of HIV and how it is essentially a death sentence if contracted, but do you know exactly what happens when the virus enters the human body? The first thing it attacks is the immune system: the system we need to fight infection and disease. The virus infects cells called CD4+ cells and replicates (makes copies of itself), leading to more destruction of CD4+ cells and the immune system as a whole. This leaves one at serious risk for illness and infections. Eventually, the patient will come to the final state of HIV: acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). This is when the immune system is so compromised, it is VERY vulnerable to opportunistic infections and viruses such as the simple cold can kill a patient.
Not everyone will reach the final stage however, and not at the same pace. It depends on many different factors such age, overall health, how quickly diagnosis was made and the timing of treatment. Therefore, it is beneficial for HIV patients to look into treatment that can help improve their quality of life and not just succumb to the disease as if it’s a death sentence. It is possible to slow the progression of the illness and live a better life. This is the motivation behind the researchers behind the following study.
Combining TRT and Resistance Exercise Treatment for HIV Patients
Men who are suffering from HIV tend to experience symptoms such as low muscle mass, fatigue, anxiety and depression, low testosterone, heart strain, swollen glands, aches and pains, skin sores and other terrible symptoms. However, it varies from patient to patient. Scientific researchers wanted to see if testosterone supplementation combined with resistance exercise could improve muscle mass and strength in HIV-infected men. In previous studies, TRT alone did not improve muscle strength in HIV-infected men, unfortunately.
The objective was to compare the effects of TRT with and without resistance exercise on the muscle strength and body composition of HIV-infected men who were exhibiting low testosterone levels and weight loss.
The study was conducted between 1995 and 1998 as a placebo-controlled, double-blind and randomized clinical trial.
Sixty-one men with HIV participated in the trial whose age ranged from 18 to 50 years old. They exhibited low testosterone levels, with serum testosterone levels less than 12.1 nmol/L. In addition, they also suffered from unwanted weight loss with a loss of 5% or more in the previous 6 months.
The men were randomly assigned to one of four study groups: placebo, no exercise; testosterone enanthate, no exercise; placebo and exercise; or testosterone enanthate and exercise. Treatment lasted for 16 weeks.
Body Weight and Muscle Strength Improved with TRT and Exercise
Both body weight and muscle strength saw significant increases in test subjects. Body weight increased significantly in men receiving testosterone alone, as well as men who exercised alone, but not in the placebo group or testosterone/exercise combination. In three groups (testosterone alone; exercise alone and testosterone/exercise) significant increases in maximum voluntary muscle strength (as measured via leg press, leg curls, bench press and latissimus pulls) were seen.
The placebo groups did not see any gains in strength, as compared to the other groups. Other changes of note were a greater increase in thigh muscle volume in the testosterone alone and exercise alone groups, when compared to placebo. Finally, average lean body mass increased significantly in the testosterone alone and testosterone/exercise groups as well, when compared to placebo, where no increases were noted.
The researchers conclude that testosterone and resistance exercise bolsters gains in body weight, muscle mass, lean body mass and muscle strength in HIV-infected men who also exhibit weight loss and low-T. However, testosterone and exercise together did not produce greater gains than either intervention alone. This should not discourage you from exercising or considering TRT to help alleviate certain symptoms of HIV.
Consult with your doctor or one of our endocrinologists to see if you are a candidate for testosterone replacement therapy. It just might change your life!
- Treat Low T Symptoms w/ Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 24th, 2021
- Testim 1% Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Auxilium To Promote Testosterone Gel Testim 1% With Glaxo For Hypogonadism - May 20th, 2021
- The Dangerous Hyperbole Surrounding Testosterone Replacement Therapy - March 8th, 2021
- Can men have hot flashes? - March 7th, 2021
- Low Semen Count Success Stories; What Makes Seminal Fluid: How to Increase Semen Volume and Count - February 8th, 2021
- Aging Gracefully With Testosterone Injections - January 28th, 2021
- Behavioral and Health Changes Decrease Levels of Testosterone - January 5th, 2021
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Might Be Legal, but It's Still Cheating in Professional Sports - November 15th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement - Video - October 26th, 2020
- Ensuring The Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men - October 18th, 2020
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 10th, 2020
- The History, Myths and Misconceptions of Testosterone - May 13th, 2020
- Is Testosterone Good or Bad for Your Heart? Or is Estradiol the Real Culprit? - May 7th, 2020
- Book - What You Need to Know About Low Testosterone - February 8th, 2020
- Safety of Testosterone Replacement Therapy | The Medical ... - June 29th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Resources - Fabulously ... - June 15th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - cpt.sagepub.com - May 14th, 2016
- Prostate cancer: Testosterone therapy 'does not increase aggressive ... - May 11th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Low Testosterone | Low T - April 28th, 2016
- Low Testosterone, Low T, E.D. | Andrologix.com - April 21st, 2016
- Low Testosterone Treatments - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - April 21st, 2016
- Testosterone Therapy Side Effects - DrugWatch - April 10th, 2016
- Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - April 10th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Myths and Facts - April 5th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Bottar Leone, PLLC - February 8th, 2016
- Heart Attack Risk from Testosterone Replacement Therapy - February 8th, 2016
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Torrance, CA - November 2nd, 2015
- Male Hormone Replacement | Low Testosterone Treatment - August 19th, 2015
- Hormone & Testosterone Replacement Therapy - August 15th, 2015
- Greater Than 40 Fitness Testosterone Replacement Therapy Update - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Testosterone therapy: Potential benefits and risks as you ... - April 13th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Risk Myths - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Does Testosterone Replacement Therapy Increase the Risk of Prostate Cancer? - Video - April 11th, 2015
- ALC - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 11th, 2015
- TRT - 6 Week Update / Beware Arimidex! (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - April 9th, 2015
- TRT - 1 Month Bloodwork Results / Protocol Adjustment (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Final - Video - March 21st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Dr. G - Video - March 19th, 2015
- Living Well: Testosterone therapy good idea or not? - March 14th, 2015
- New studies fail to find cardiovascular risk with testosterone therapy - March 10th, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Men | AAG Health Gains - March 9th, 2015
- AM I HIDING SOMETHING? Where's My Blood work? | TRT Update - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Andropause and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - March 5th, 2015
- The LIFE*MOD Podcast With Dr. Gonzalez - Testosterone Replacement Therapy Part 1 - Video - February 12th, 2015
- Is testosterone replacement therapy safe? Take a look at ... - February 7th, 2015
- Introduction to Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Video - February 1st, 2015
- what is testosterone replacement therapy | Find what is testosterone replacement therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- From Wellness and Prevention to Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testicular cancer - Testosterone replacement therapy - yourprivates.org.uk - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy testimonial - Dr. Retzler Portland Oregon - Video - December 25th, 2014
- Dr. Allens Device Boost Mens Wellbeing by Treating Enlarged Prostate & Chronic Prostatitis, While Testosterone ... - December 10th, 2014
- Carey Danis & Lowe Weighs in on Testosterone Gel Safety - November 26th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) - Danger & Play - November 7th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Women | eHow - November 4th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy For Young Men - Thumotic - October 30th, 2014
- Lipocine Announces Positive Top-line Results From Phase 2a Study Of LPCN 1111 - October 13th, 2014
- Cleveland Clinic: Testosterone Replacement Therapy - October 1st, 2014
- Strict Limitations May Be Coming for Low Testosterone Treatment - October 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Update - New Test Results - Video - September 28th, 2014
- It's Time To Cross The T's... - September 19th, 2014
- Endocrine Society Tells FDA Testosterone Therapy Should Only Be for Men with Hypogonadism - September 18th, 2014
- Warning over risks associated with testosterone replacement therapy - August 15th, 2014
- Is testosterone replacement therapy right for you? | Fox News - August 7th, 2014
- Do you need low T therapy? - August 7th, 2014
- Testosterone replacement therapy |Mens Medical New York PC ... - July 9th, 2014
- Low sex drive - or erectile dysfunction? - June 25th, 2014
- 1513 Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men - Video - June 13th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Could Come With Serious Side Effects - Video - May 11th, 2014
- Are Low-T Drugs Putting Patients At High Risk? - May 10th, 2014
- Seen At 11: Experts Urge Caution When Using Popular Hormone Replacement Therapy - May 10th, 2014
- Viewer Mail - Testosterone Replacement Therapy/TRT Not Natty, Balls Busted, etc. - Video - May 4th, 2014
- NJ-Based Law Firm Exploring Potential Legal Claims from Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy - May 1st, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Men - myVMC - April 30th, 2014
- Acrux falls 15% on sales warning - April 28th, 2014
- Low Testosterone Claims: Options in a Growing Class Action Suit - Video - April 26th, 2014
- Reclaim Your Energy and Sex Drive | Testosterone ... - April 14th, 2014
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Video - April 12th, 2014
- FGSW - Weekly Weigh In & Update 15: Still Working On Mobility 03.31.14 - Video - April 7th, 2014
- FGSW Weekly Weigh In & Update 15 Still Working On Mobility 03 31 14 - Video - April 5th, 2014
- Discover the risk of prostate cancer with testosterone replacement therapy - Video - April 5th, 2014
Word Count: 765