First, we need to define terms here. Just what is “low testosterone”?
When a man’s testosterone levels get below the normal range – about 275 to 1,080 nanograms per deciliter (ng/dL) -- that’s when we say that he has low testosterone. But that range is wide, and for some men, the lower part of the range might be considered “low” for them. That’s where our clinics and labs can help, because every man’s case is different.
Another name for low testosterone is “hypogonadism,” and it can manifest itself in childhood, and in some cases even during the child’s development in his mother’s womb. Hypogonadism can have varied effects – none of them good. In an adult male, it can change the way you look, decrease hair growth, and interfere with the reproductive process.
Testosterone is an androgen, or male sex hormone. It’s produced in the testicles, and is required for the production of sperm. But it has major effects on the rest of the body too, including the way a man’s brain functions. Testosterone has an impact on a man’s psychological sense of virility, and it has a very real impact on his sexual function. Testosterone also gives a boost to a man’s muscles, bones, and the development of the penis and testicles. Both men and women have testosterone in their bodies, but men have far more – unless there is a problem like hypogonadism.
Causes of Low Testosterone
One cause for low testosterone levels is age. As men age, their testosterone levels are expected to taper off gradually, beginning in middle age. Some, though far from all. Physicians consider age-related low testosterone to be normal above a certain age threshold and recommend doing nothing about it. Other doctors take the opposite view.
The number of men, including older men, receiving treatment for low testosterone has taken off in recent years, as more and more men have decided to take matters into their own hands, and doctors have seen the benefits of taking a proactive approach for many patients.
One type of treatment, TRT, or testosterone replacement therapy, can – seemingly paradoxically – have a negative effect on male fertility, despite improving sexual function (and many other things). This is because TRT may decrease sperm production, since one of the therapy’s side effects is a lowering of FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) levels, which trigger sperm production. Infertility caused by TRT can often be reversed.
Men seeking to conceive shouldn’t use TRT, therefore, though there are other approaches they might try. It is also possible to take another type of hormone replacement therapy (HRT), in conjunction with testosterone injections, in order to maintain your fertility.
Low testosterone itself is often bad for male fertility, too – though it does not always cause infertility.
Low Testosterone and Sexual Function
Men with low testosterone can still produce adequate amounts of healthy sperm, since sperm production is primarily triggered by other hormones. Nevertheless, having low testosterone will indeed reduce the number of sperm produced, all things being equal. (The levels of testosterone in the testicles, by the way, are far higher than those in the bloodstream, and this is true no matter what your overall testosterone levels might be.)
Another negative effect of low testosterone is reduced sex drive, or less actual desire to engage in intercourse. It also, if sufficiently bad, can cause erectile dysfunction, possibly an actual inability to have an erection, or erections of insufficient intensity or duration that it is difficult or impossible to achieve climax. All of these symptoms can result in sexual intercourse simply not occurring, or not occurring often enough to conceive a child.
In addition to aging, these factors can also cause or contribute to a condition of low testosterone: chronic opioid use, marijuana use, high levels of alcohol consumption, stress, and hormones present in certain foods – notably meat and dairy products. Low testosterone can also be triggered by abnormally early – or late – puberty, kidney disease, and testicular cancer. Several other conditions present an elevated risk for causing low testosterone, too: cancer treatments including radiation or chemotherapy; obesity; diabetes; and direct injury of some kind to the testicles. These multiple possible causes are a good reason to have tests done in a qualified clinic before making any assumptions.
Take Action With Qualified Doctors to Improve Testosterone Balance
Luckily, qualified doctors, such as the ones at our clinics, can make simple tests to determine if your symptoms are caused by low testosterone. The test is usually scheduled during a morning visit, since a man’s testosterone levels are typically highest at that time. Questions are asked, blood is drawn and analyzed in a lab, and then you get a personal evaluation based on your symptoms, history, and those all-important numbers.
Whether you take action to increase your testosterone numbers will depend on a number of factors which you should discuss with the doctor. If you have life-impacting symptoms like these, that will be an important factor in making your decision: 1) reduced sex drive; 2) fatigue; 3) mood swings; 4) loss of or flabbiness of muscle tissue; 5) fewer and/or weaker erections.
If testosterone replacement therapy isn’t indicted, or symptoms are on the less bothersome side of the scale, you or your doctor might recommend lifestyle changes instead.
Lifestyle Changes to Improve Testosterone Production
Some things to consider doing:
Stay out of the sauna. There’s a reason that the scrotum and testicles hang outside the main part of the body: They need to stay relatively cool to function as intended. Hot tubs and saunas on a regular basis aren’t a good thing for testosterone production. Keeping laptops and heating pads far away from your lap is good idea too.
Eat right: Eating a healthy, nutritious diet is good for testosterone production.
Stop smoking: The facts are in – multiple studies show that men who are smokers have reduced levels of many hormones, testosterone among them.
But if, after trying all of the above, you feel that your sex drive, energy levels, and overall quality of life are being negatively impacted by too-low levels of testosterone, you are likely a candidate for TRT.
We hope this article has helped you to make some choices that improve your life, or the life of a loved one, dramatically!
- Male Menopause - Andropause Information - May 30th, 2021
- Got Andropause? Male Renewal With Androgen Testosterone Treatment for Men - May 11th, 2021
- Andropause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - March 15th, 2021
- Clomiphene Citrate for Testosterone Deficiency - January 13th, 2021
- Low-T Therapy for Andropause — Treating Male Menopause - January 12th, 2021
- Study Questions Longtime Treatment for Prostate Cancer - November 10th, 2020
- Hypogonadism Guide - August 16th, 2020
- What is Andropause - August 15th, 2020
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - August 10th, 2020
- Six Surprising Low-T Signs - August 8th, 2020
- Natesto Testosterone Nasal Gel Therapy on the Horizon - July 2nd, 2020
- Five Ways to Manage Cholesterol Without Medication - May 18th, 2020
- What is Andropause? - Renew Youth - August 14th, 2016
- Andropause - July 21st, 2016
- Male menopause - NHS Choices - July 4th, 2016
- Male menopause: Myth or reality? - Mayo Clinic - July 4th, 2016
- Andropause Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes ... - June 9th, 2016
- About Andropause - Masters Men's Clinic - May 14th, 2016
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health Products & Information - May 14th, 2016
- Andropause (Male Menopause) - ZRT Laboratory - April 21st, 2016
- Andropause Symptoms - Male Menopause Symptoms - BodyLogicMD - Home Page - April 21st, 2016
- Andropause/Male Menopause - Symptoms and Diagnosis - April 21st, 2016
- Andropause - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis ... - April 6th, 2016
- Andropause: Physical and Mental Symptoms and Treatment - April 5th, 2016
- Andropause Treatment| Symptoms | Peptides Australia - April 4th, 2016
- Andropause or male menopause | Manna Health - April 4th, 2016
- Andropause Treatment Program Renew Man - September 18th, 2015
- Andropause: When Guys Get 'The Change' | Lisa Turner - September 7th, 2015
- Low T/Andropause - Maze Men's Sexual & Reproductive Health - August 3rd, 2015
- Symptoms Of Andropause (Male Menopause) Renew Man - July 13th, 2015
- Andropause / Male Menopause - Treatment - Medindia - July 13th, 2015
- Andropause (Male Menopause) Treatments - May 11th, 2015
- "TongKat Ali - Great for Andropause" - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Andropause Meaning - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Andropause - Male menopause - Symptoms - Causes ... - April 4th, 2015
- Menopause Dr Dewi Gaduh and Andropause Dr Ridwan T CD 2 - Video - March 26th, 2015
- Menopause Dr Dewi Gaduh and Andropause Dr Ridwan T - Video - March 26th, 2015
- The Male Menopause: Andropause - Nicole Ortiz, ND - Video - March 25th, 2015
- How Hucksters Are Profiting Off of Testosterone and Growth Hormone - March 25th, 2015
- The 10-point guide to the integral management of menopausal health - March 17th, 2015
- Andropause "Low T": #1: High Blood Sugar - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Menopause/Andropause List - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Andropause - Low Testosterone :: Department of Urology - February 23rd, 2015
- Live life! Avoid fatigue - hormonal imbalances - February 21st, 2015
- 3 out of 10 S.Korean men over 40 suffer andropause symptoms / YTN - Video - February 12th, 2015
- Tips to ease fatigue - January 22nd, 2015
- Andropause and Prostate Enlargement #15 - Video - January 11th, 2015
- Andropause | Health | Embarrassing | Channel4.com/bodies - December 29th, 2014
- Aging changes in the male reproductive system: MedlinePlus ... - December 19th, 2014
- EMAS promotes the study of midlife health through its journal - December 2nd, 2014
- My Journey In And Out Of Andropause! - November 19th, 2014
- GENERATION RX PLUS- ANDROPAUSE- ASK THE EXPERTS - Video - November 13th, 2014
- What are hormones and how do they affect me? - November 12th, 2014
- Andropause Depression Symptoms What Are Andropause Depression Symptoms - Video - November 10th, 2014
- Andropause, Late Onset Hypogonadism (LOH), male menopause ... - November 4th, 2014
- MEN HEALTH PROBLEMS - blogspot.com - October 30th, 2014
- Menopause | Andropause Workshop Preview - Video - October 30th, 2014
- Andropause: Dealing With Male Menopause - blogspot.com - October 28th, 2014
- What is Male Menopause - Healthline - October 28th, 2014
- Male Menopause: Get Facts about Symptoms and Treatments - October 28th, 2014
- The Male Andropause - Schachter Center for Complementary ... - October 28th, 2014
- Health Column: Anti-aging strategies - October 23rd, 2014
- Herbs For Andropause - Video - October 21st, 2014
- Dr. Farnesi explains that men also go through Menopause. Its called Andropause. - Video - October 18th, 2014
- Healthy Trinbago - Andropause - Video - October 3rd, 2014
- Find Out What Makes Sex Amazing Instead of So-So in this New Book by Sexual Medicine Scientist, Dr. E - October 3rd, 2014
- Hormone fluctuation affects men, too - October 1st, 2014
- Tired? Not interested in sex? Mister, you might be in andropause - September 18th, 2014
- Elsevier journal Maturitas publishes position statement on breast cancer screening - September 17th, 2014
- Dr. Reese explains that men also go through Menopause. Its called Andropause. - Video - September 13th, 2014
- Menopause in Men (a.k.a. Andropause) - Fact or Fiction - Video - September 6th, 2014
- What are the symptoms of andropause? - Video - August 31st, 2014
- Andropause and Depression - Video - August 30th, 2014
- Male Hot Flashes - Check Out wwwAndropauseGuide dot com To Solve Andropause - Video - August 23rd, 2014
- Daytime Dr Miller Menopause v Andropause MP4 version - Video - July 28th, 2014
- New Case Study Highlights Effectiveness of Testosterone Therapy in Fighting Weight Gain and Fatigue - July 26th, 2014
- Andropause, Menopause, and Sexuality As We Age: Art of Aging 102 - Video - July 9th, 2014
- Dr Naina About Andropause - Video - June 28th, 2014
- LBC Sat with Vanessa Menopause & Andropause - Video - June 26th, 2014
- Did You Know? - June 24th, 2014
Word Count: 1059