First, we need to define terms here. Just what is “low testosterone”?
When a man’s testosterone levels get below the normal range – about 275 to 1,080 nanograms per deciliter (ng/dL) -- that’s when we say that he has low testosterone. But that range is wide, and for some men, the lower part of the range might be considered “low” for them. That’s where our clinics and labs can help, because every man’s case is different.
Another name for low testosterone is “hypogonadism,” and it can manifest itself in childhood, and in some cases even during the child’s development in his mother’s womb. Hypogonadism can have varied effects – none of them good. In an adult male, it can change the way you look, decrease hair growth, and interfere with the reproductive process.
Testosterone is an androgen, or male sex hormone. It’s produced in the testicles, and is required for the production of sperm. But it has major effects on the rest of the body too, including the way a man’s brain functions. Testosterone has an impact on a man’s psychological sense of virility, and it has a very real impact on his sexual function. Testosterone also gives a boost to a man’s muscles, bones, and the development of the penis and testicles. Both men and women have testosterone in their bodies, but men have far more – unless there is a problem like hypogonadism.
Causes of Low Testosterone
One cause for low testosterone levels is age. As men age, their testosterone levels are expected to taper off gradually, beginning in middle age. Some, though far from all. Physicians consider age-related low testosterone to be normal above a certain age threshold and recommend doing nothing about it. Other doctors take the opposite view.
The number of men, including older men, receiving treatment for low testosterone has taken off in recent years, as more and more men have decided to take matters into their own hands, and doctors have seen the benefits of taking a proactive approach for many patients.
One type of treatment, TRT, or testosterone replacement therapy, can – seemingly paradoxically – have a negative effect on male fertility, despite improving sexual function (and many other things). This is because TRT may decrease sperm production, since one of the therapy’s side effects is a lowering of FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) levels, which trigger sperm production. Infertility caused by TRT can often be reversed.
Men seeking to conceive shouldn’t use TRT, therefore, though there are other approaches they might try. It is also possible to take another type of hormone replacement therapy (HRT), in conjunction with testosterone injections, in order to maintain your fertility.
Low testosterone itself is often bad for male fertility, too – though it does not always cause infertility.
Low Testosterone and Sexual Function
Men with low testosterone can still produce adequate amounts of healthy sperm, since sperm production is primarily triggered by other hormones. Nevertheless, having low testosterone will indeed reduce the number of sperm produced, all things being equal. (The levels of testosterone in the testicles, by the way, are far higher than those in the bloodstream, and this is true no matter what your overall testosterone levels might be.)
Another negative effect of low testosterone is reduced sex drive, or less actual desire to engage in intercourse. It also, if sufficiently bad, can cause erectile dysfunction, possibly an actual inability to have an erection, or erections of insufficient intensity or duration that it is difficult or impossible to achieve climax. All of these symptoms can result in sexual intercourse simply not occurring, or not occurring often enough to conceive a child.
In addition to aging, these factors can also cause or contribute to a condition of low testosterone: chronic opioid use, marijuana use, high levels of alcohol consumption, stress, and hormones present in certain foods – notably meat and dairy products. Low testosterone can also be triggered by abnormally early – or late – puberty, kidney disease, and testicular cancer. Several other conditions present an elevated risk for causing low testosterone, too: cancer treatments including radiation or chemotherapy; obesity; diabetes; and direct injury of some kind to the testicles. These multiple possible causes are a good reason to have tests done in a qualified clinic before making any assumptions.
Take Action With Qualified Doctors to Improve Testosterone Balance
Luckily, qualified doctors, such as the ones at our clinics, can make simple tests to determine if your symptoms are caused by low testosterone. The test is usually scheduled during a morning visit, since a man’s testosterone levels are typically highest at that time. Questions are asked, blood is drawn and analyzed in a lab, and then you get a personal evaluation based on your symptoms, history, and those all-important numbers.
Whether you take action to increase your testosterone numbers will depend on a number of factors which you should discuss with the doctor. If you have life-impacting symptoms like these, that will be an important factor in making your decision: 1) reduced sex drive; 2) fatigue; 3) mood swings; 4) loss of or flabbiness of muscle tissue; 5) fewer and/or weaker erections.
If testosterone replacement therapy isn’t indicted, or symptoms are on the less bothersome side of the scale, you or your doctor might recommend lifestyle changes instead.
Lifestyle Changes to Improve Testosterone Production
Some things to consider doing:
Stay out of the sauna. There’s a reason that the scrotum and testicles hang outside the main part of the body: They need to stay relatively cool to function as intended. Hot tubs and saunas on a regular basis aren’t a good thing for testosterone production. Keeping laptops and heating pads far away from your lap is good idea too.
Exercise: Vigorous physical activity is good for testosterone production.
Eat right: Eating a healthy, nutritious diet is good for testosterone production.
Stop smoking: The facts are in – multiple studies show that men who are smokers have reduced levels of many hormones, testosterone among them.
But if, after trying all of the above, you feel that your sex drive, energy levels, and overall quality of life are being negatively impacted by too-low levels of testosterone, you are likely a candidate for TRT.
We hope this article has helped you to make some choices that improve your life, or the life of a loved one, dramatically!
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Five Things That, Surprisingly, Lower Your Testosterone Levels - January 3rd, 2023 [April 5th, 2022]
- 3 out of 10 (three out of ten) South Korean men over 40 suffer andropause symptoms / YTN - Video - March 19th, 2022 [February 12th, 2022]
- Male Menopause - Andropause Information - November 29th, 2021 [May 30th, 2021]
- Got Andropause? Male Renewal With Androgen Testosterone Treatment for Men - December 31st, 2022 [May 11th, 2021]
- Andropause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - March 15th, 2021 [March 15th, 2021]
- Clomiphene Citrate for Testosterone Deficiency - November 14th, 2021 [January 13th, 2021]
- Low-T Therapy for Andropause — Treating Male Menopause - November 11th, 2021 [January 12th, 2021]
- Study Questions Longtime Treatment for Prostate Cancer - November 2nd, 2021 [November 10th, 2020]
- Hypogonadism Guide - October 16th, 2021 [August 16th, 2020]
- What is Andropause - November 7th, 2021 [August 15th, 2020]
- Testosterone Creams for Low Testosterone Treatment and Andropause - November 14th, 2021 [August 10th, 2020]
- Six Surprising Low-T Signs - November 23rd, 2021 [August 8th, 2020]
- Natesto Testosterone Nasal Gel Therapy on the Horizon - November 20th, 2021 [July 2nd, 2020]
- Five Ways to Manage Cholesterol Without Medication - November 20th, 2021 [May 18th, 2020]
- What is Andropause? - Renew Youth - November 5th, 2020 [August 14th, 2016]
- Andropause - November 29th, 2020 [July 21st, 2016]
- Male menopause - NHS Choices - October 13th, 2020 [July 4th, 2016]
- Male menopause: Myth or reality? - Mayo Clinic - December 6th, 2017 [July 4th, 2016]
- Andropause Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes ... - June 9th, 2016 [June 9th, 2016]
- About Andropause - Masters Men's Clinic - November 11th, 2020 [May 14th, 2016]
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health Products & Information - October 28th, 2020 [May 14th, 2016]
- Andropause (Male Menopause) - ZRT Laboratory - November 5th, 2020 [April 21st, 2016]
- Andropause Symptoms - Male Menopause Symptoms - BodyLogicMD - Home Page - December 9th, 2017 [April 21st, 2016]
- Andropause/Male Menopause - Symptoms and Diagnosis - December 28th, 2017 [April 21st, 2016]
- Andropause - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis ... - November 26th, 2020 [April 6th, 2016]
- Andropause: Physical and Mental Symptoms and Treatment - November 21st, 2020 [April 5th, 2016]
- Andropause Treatment| Symptoms | Peptides Australia - October 14th, 2020 [April 4th, 2016]
- Andropause or male menopause | Manna Health - October 9th, 2020 [April 4th, 2016]
- Andropause Treatment Program Renew Man - December 26th, 2017 [September 18th, 2015]
- Andropause: When Guys Get 'The Change' | Lisa Turner - December 4th, 2017 [September 7th, 2015]
- Low T/Andropause - Maze Men's Sexual & Reproductive Health - November 17th, 2020 [August 3rd, 2015]
- Symptoms Of Andropause (Male Menopause) Renew Man - November 12th, 2020 [July 13th, 2015]
- Andropause / Male Menopause - Treatment - Medindia - March 20th, 2016 [July 13th, 2015]
- Andropause (Male Menopause) Treatments - December 23rd, 2017 [May 11th, 2015]
- "TongKat Ali - Great for Andropause" - Video - October 27th, 2020 [May 4th, 2015]
- Andropause Meaning - Video - November 3rd, 2020 [April 21st, 2015]
- Andropause - Male menopause - Symptoms - Causes ... - November 8th, 2020 [April 4th, 2015]
- Menopause Dr Dewi Gaduh and Andropause Dr Ridwan T CD 2 - Video - October 25th, 2020 [March 26th, 2015]
- Menopause Dr Dewi Gaduh and Andropause Dr Ridwan T - Video - November 22nd, 2020 [March 26th, 2015]
- The Male Menopause: Andropause - Nicole Ortiz, ND - Video - November 19th, 2020 [March 25th, 2015]
- How Hucksters Are Profiting Off of Testosterone and Growth Hormone - November 23rd, 2020 [March 25th, 2015]
- The 10-point guide to the integral management of menopausal health - November 1st, 2020 [March 17th, 2015]
- Andropause "Low T": #1: High Blood Sugar - Video - March 6th, 2015 [March 6th, 2015]
- Menopause/Andropause List - Video - October 10th, 2020 [March 5th, 2015]
- Andropause - Low Testosterone :: Department of Urology - October 7th, 2020 [February 23rd, 2015]
- Live life! Avoid fatigue - hormonal imbalances - December 29th, 2016 [February 21st, 2015]
- Tips to ease fatigue - October 10th, 2020 [January 22nd, 2015]
- Andropause and Prostate Enlargement #15 - Video - October 20th, 2020 [January 11th, 2015]
- Andropause | Health | Embarrassing | Channel4.com/bodies - December 22nd, 2017 [December 29th, 2014]
- Aging changes in the male reproductive system: MedlinePlus ... - November 18th, 2020 [December 19th, 2014]
- EMAS promotes the study of midlife health through its journal - December 29th, 2016 [December 2nd, 2014]
- My Journey In And Out Of Andropause! - June 4th, 2020 [November 19th, 2014]
- GENERATION RX PLUS- ANDROPAUSE- ASK THE EXPERTS - Video - November 13th, 2020 [November 13th, 2014]
- What are hormones and how do they affect me? - November 21st, 2020 [November 12th, 2014]
- Andropause, Late Onset Hypogonadism (LOH), male menopause ... - November 8th, 2020 [November 4th, 2014]
- MEN HEALTH PROBLEMS - blogspot.com - October 30th, 2020 [October 30th, 2014]
- Menopause | Andropause Workshop Preview - Video - October 30th, 2014 [October 30th, 2014]
- Andropause: Dealing With Male Menopause - blogspot.com - October 28th, 2014 [October 28th, 2014]
- What is Male Menopause - Healthline - October 26th, 2020 [October 28th, 2014]
- Male Menopause: Get Facts about Symptoms and Treatments - November 6th, 2020 [October 28th, 2014]
- The Male Andropause - Schachter Center for Complementary ... - October 28th, 2014 [October 28th, 2014]
- Health Column: Anti-aging strategies - November 4th, 2020 [October 23rd, 2014]
- Herbs For Andropause - Video - November 21st, 2020 [October 21st, 2014]
- Dr. Farnesi explains that men also go through Menopause. Its called Andropause. - Video - October 11th, 2020 [October 18th, 2014]
- Healthy Trinbago - Andropause - Video - November 13th, 2020 [October 3rd, 2014]
- Find Out What Makes Sex Amazing Instead of So-So in this New Book by Sexual Medicine Scientist, Dr. E - May 4th, 2015 [October 3rd, 2014]
- Hormone fluctuation affects men, too - October 26th, 2020 [October 1st, 2014]
- Tired? Not interested in sex? Mister, you might be in andropause - October 15th, 2020 [September 18th, 2014]
- Elsevier journal Maturitas publishes position statement on breast cancer screening - May 4th, 2015 [September 17th, 2014]
- Dr. Reese explains that men also go through Menopause. Its called Andropause. - Video - October 23rd, 2020 [September 13th, 2014]
- Menopause in Men (a.k.a. Andropause) - Fact or Fiction - Video - September 6th, 2014 [September 6th, 2014]
- What are the symptoms of andropause? - Video - October 20th, 2020 [August 31st, 2014]
- Andropause and Depression - Video - October 26th, 2020 [August 30th, 2014]
- Male Hot Flashes - Check Out wwwAndropauseGuide dot com To Solve Andropause - Video - October 4th, 2020 [August 23rd, 2014]
- Daytime Dr Miller Menopause v Andropause MP4 version - Video - November 1st, 2020 [July 28th, 2014]
- New Case Study Highlights Effectiveness of Testosterone Therapy in Fighting Weight Gain and Fatigue - May 4th, 2015 [July 26th, 2014]
- Andropause, Menopause, and Sexuality As We Age: Art of Aging 102 - Video - October 26th, 2020 [July 9th, 2014]
- Dr Naina About Andropause - Video - October 3rd, 2020 [June 28th, 2014]
- LBC Sat with Vanessa Menopause & Andropause - Video - June 26th, 2014 [June 26th, 2014]
- Did You Know? - November 4th, 2020 [June 24th, 2014]
Word Count: 1070