If your suffering from symptoms of low testosterone levels you're probably wondering, "why me?" The truth is in most cases there's nothing you could have done to prevent yourself from having lowered testosterone. The only real exceptions are people who abuse illegal anabolic steroids and people leading risky lifestyles leading to their contraction of HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis.
There are two categories of underlying factors behind lowered testosterone. When the cause is in the testosterone producing organs is referred to as “primary hypogonadism.” When the cause is in the pituitary gland it is called “secondary hypogonadism.” When the problem is related to the hypothalamus it is referred to as ”tertiary hypogonadism.“
- Undescended testicles – If the testes fail to migrate from inside the abdomen into the scrotum during fetal development or in the first year or two of life, the testes may become damaged and unable to produce adequate amounts of testosterone.
- Injury to the scrotum – If the testes are injured, they may not be able to produce adequate testosterone. Damage to one testicle does not often to lead to low levels if the other testis remains normal.
- Cancer therapy – Chemotherapy and radiation therapy can damage the interstitial cells in the testes responsible for testosterone production. This decrease in testosterone production may be temporary as the cells recover, or it may be permanent.
- Aging – Testosterone levels decrease with aging. Usually, enough testosterone is manufactured to allow for adequate bodily functions.
- Mumps orchitis – The mumps virus can cause inflammation of the testes in males, and if the illness occurs in puberty or adulthood, the damage to the testes may lead to low testosterone production. Immunization against the mumps has significantly decreased the incidence of this illness.
- Chromosomal abnormalities – A normal male has one X and one Y chromosome (a normal female has two X chromosomes). In Klinefelter’s syndrome, in males, an extra X chromosome is present and among other anatomic issues, there is abnormal development of the testes and decreased ability to manufacture testosterone.
- Ovary conditions in women – Premature ovarian failure and surgical removal of both ovaries (bilateral oophorectomy) are conditions associated with lower circulating testosterone levels.
Secondary and Tertiary Hypogonadism:
- Pituitary Gland Damage – Damage to the pituitary gland may occur because of tumors of the gland itself or because of damage caused by the side effects of treatment of nearby brain tumors.
- Malformed Hypothalamus – Hypothalamus malformations can prevent normal function. Kallman’s syndrome is one example.
- Circulation Problems – Compromised blood flow to these glands from other conditions such as excessive systemic blood loss.
- Disease Induced Inflammation – Inflammation caused by tuberculosis and sarcoidosis may affect the pituitary gland.
- HIV/AIDS Induced Inflammation – HIV and AIDS may also cause inflammation of both the hypothalamus and pituitary.
- Non-Prescribed Medications – Illegal use of anabolic steroids, for example in body building, can cause hypogonadism and low testosterone levels.
Symptoms of Low Testosterone
The Endocrine Society (a professional organization of doctors who research and treat hormonal disorders) has issued a set of guidelines stating that if an adult male has both warning symptoms and signs of low testosterone he can be diagnosed as suffering from testosterone deficiency.
Review the signs and symptoms below and give yourself an honest answer to the question "Am I suffering from two or more of these ailments?" If you are it's likely you could be suffering from testosterone deficiency.
Signs and symptoms of low testosterone include:
- Decreased sex drive
- Erectile dysfunction
- Reduced energy level
- Reduced strength and endurance levels
- Sleep problems
- Emotional problems including sadness, irritability, difficulty concentrating, and depression
- Increased breast size and tenderness
- Decrease in the amount of body hair
- Decreased penis or testicle size
- Loss of muscle mass
If you're suffering from these symptoms please contact one of our specializing physician's today! We can make an appointment for you to come in for a blood test and medical history review and if your levels are low they can get you started on your own self-directed testosterone replacement therapy program. Just call us at 1-800-469-3343 or fill out the form on the right.
- Testosterone Levels Associated with Serotonin Activity in the Brain - May 19th, 2019
- Grumpy Old Man Syndrome – Causes and Treatments - April 28th, 2019
- How to Administer a Testosterone Injection -- Low-T Injection Guide - April 23rd, 2019
- Relieve Fatigue and Increase Energy with Testosterone Replacement Therapy - April 23rd, 2019
- Is Male Menopause Real? The Science of Andropause - April 22nd, 2019
- Low Testosterone Symptoms - April 21st, 2019
- 4 Foods to Boost Your Testosterone Levels - April 21st, 2019
- 12 Health Issues That Can Kill Libido and Limit Sexual Performance - April 21st, 2019
- The Importance of Dietary Fat for Testosterone Production - April 21st, 2019
- Limiting the Influence of Estrogen on Male Hormone Balance Through Diet - April 19th, 2019
- Testosterone Therapy Helps Men with Low-T Ward Off Prostate Cancer - April 19th, 2019
- The Importance of Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin (SHBG) for Healthy Testosterone Levels - April 19th, 2019
- The Relationship Between Testosterone and Cortisol - April 19th, 2019
- Testosterone Promotes Bone Health and Can Help Treat Osteoporosis - April 19th, 2019
- Testosterone Testing - March 25th, 2019
- The Role of Testosterone in Women's Health - March 18th, 2019
- The Effects of Testosterone Therapy on Male Patients -- Who Should Use Testosterone? - March 18th, 2019
- The Influence of Testosterone on Protective Mating Behaviors in Men - March 18th, 2019
- The Effect of Testosterone on Auto-Immune Function and Multiple Sclerosis - March 18th, 2019
- Does Ibuprofen Contribute to Low Testosterone? - March 18th, 2019
- The Effects of Beer on Testosterone Production and Gynecomastia - November 24th, 2018
- Testosterone Deficiency and Low-T at Epidemic Levels Among Men in the United States - August 28th, 2018
- Weight Cycling and the Problem with Crash Dieting - August 9th, 2018
- Reexamining Bio-Identical Testosterone Therapy - July 28th, 2018
- The Significance of Telomeres in Stem Cell Treatments - July 25th, 2018
- Understanding how Muscle and Fat Impact Body Mass, Weight, and Health - July 25th, 2018
- The Role of Nitric Oxide in Cancer Proliferation And Prevention - July 25th, 2018
- Understanding Heartburn in the 21st Century - July 22nd, 2018
- What is Erectile Dysfunction? - July 20th, 2018
- Sermorelin Acetate Drug Information - July 20th, 2018
- Exercise and Mental Health - July 20th, 2018
- The Importance of Proteins, Carbs, and Fats - July 20th, 2018
- Low-T Treatment Before and After -- How Testosterone Therapy Improves Vitality - July 19th, 2018
- Testosterone and Diet – How to Support Testosterone Levels with Healthy Eating - July 19th, 2018
- Changes to LabCorp Guidelines for Low-T Diagnosis and How They Impact Your Treatment - July 18th, 2018
- The Effects of Testosterone on Asthma Prevalence Among Men and Women - May 9th, 2018
- 7 Exercises to Elevate Testosterone Levels - May 2nd, 2018
- Vitamin A is Essential for Good Health - Are You Getting Enough ? - April 27th, 2018
- Testosterone Supplements - January 26th, 2014
- Testosterone Side Effects - January 23rd, 2014
- Types of Testosterone Products and Delivery - January 22nd, 2014
- Testosterone for Men - January 21st, 2014
- HCG and Testosterone - January 18th, 2014
- Hormone Level Testing - January 13th, 2014
- Hormone Levels in Men - January 12th, 2014
- Testosterone FAQ - January 6th, 2014
- Aging and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - January 3rd, 2014
- Buy Testosterone Injections Online, Testosterone Prescription for Low T, Testosterone Replacement Therapy - January 1st, 2014
- Buy Testosterone | Types of Testosterone Replacement Therapy Programs, Injections, Cream and Gel - December 31st, 2013
- Testosterone Gel, Cream, and the Testosterone Patch - December 31st, 2013
- Testosterone Levels - December 31st, 2013
- Testosterone and Body Building - December 30th, 2013
- Testosterone Androgen - December 29th, 2013
- Testosterone for Women - December 29th, 2013
Word Count: 678